mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. "Dremeling" your rockers

I've recently replaced my Romic with a Push'd RP3 on my 03 Spot. It's on upside down - is it OK to dremel the rocker in order to allow it to be put on "right" way up - for ease of access to propedal switch? If so is it easy to do for your average Jo - I'm no great mechanic?

... I guess you won't be
    dont bother dremeling your rocker - even if you dremel it, it's not as easy to get a shock pump on the nib anyway, so just 180 it, so it's easy to access....just orient the shock so the air nib is in front of the rocker pivot, and the pro-pedal switch is between the rocker plates.....it's no big deal to switch it from one setting to the next, once you get used to the placement....save yourself some time and go ride....

the pro-pedal lever will slightly contact the rocker [barely], but under rider weight it's not an issue....you could mill off a millimeter if that bugs you.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks jokermtb - will save me money as well as time as dremel would require purchasing!

Toby Wong?
    i dremeled the rocker on my '03 Spot cause i wanted to be able to reach the lever and switch it on demand - it was a bit time consuming but easy - and i do change the propedal during rides, so it works well for me

you'll need a dremel and a couple of the course grit sandpaper bits

I freehanded it with the rockers on the frame and just tried to stay level and perpendicular to the rocker body

I covered my frame so the aluminum shavings didn't get all over the frame

you'll have to take off more material than you would suspect, to get the frame pump head squarely onto the shock valve. I emailed Turner with mid-progress shots and they were cool with the work I was doing.

my dremeling got it close enough....i have to compress the shock just a little bit to get it to fit full-on, but i'm ok with this

use a black marker to "re-annodize" the cut line

mount and ride! have fun, i kinda liked taking the dremel to my frame....i'm pretty sure you'll need the space if you run the DHXAir

... I guess you won't be
    Yes, you do have to take away more material just to get a pump head on the schraeder....that is what I realized when I had the dremel in my sweaty hand, preparing to make the first grind...then it occured to me, to just turn the shock around so the air valve is in open space on the other side of the bike! I just didn't want to risk gacking up my rocker with my not so surgical dremel skills......

Tappoix is quite correct, in that it is more of a bother to find the PP lever when in this config, but after you do it a few times it's easy to flip the switch from full cush to full propedal.

Turner says it's more than OK to do this, but if you can live without having super easy access to the PP lever [pee pee lever?], then make it easy on yourself.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    i dremeled the rocker on my '03 Spot cause i wanted to be able to reach the lever and switch it on demand - it was a bit time consuming but easy - and i do change the propedal during rides, so it works well for me

I think you were nuts. If that wasn't part of the structural integrity of the rocker, I think the rocker would have less material there in the first place. You basically destroyed some margin of safety in that rocker now, IMO. But you did do a nice job.

I shocked that Dave approves of this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    presumably the rockers were redesigned when the RP3 was fitted as stock - anyone got any picyures of the new design? Also can you get new rockers aftermarket - in England?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I think you were nuts. If that wasn't part of the structural integrity of the rocker, I think the rocker would have less material there in the first place. You basically destroyed some margin of safety in that rocker now, IMO. But you did do a nice job.

not only does dt approve, he suggested i do it. according to turner, theres no significant loss of structure. no worries here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman

Homey - 2 things

1) not my pic. but yes, this is a very clean job

2) DT is all over this and gives it

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The rockers are now a bit longer, the so called 5.3 rockers.