mtbr member

New question here. Downieville similar races in Socal?

Hi there,

I'm looking for similar races as the famous downieville one. It's the one that look the most similar to what we have in Europe so called "DH marathon" ( maxi et megavalanche).

Long Downhill tracks with minimization of climbing sections.

And for the Homer that have already enjoy the Downieville, is that worth a trip of 8 hours car from Santa Monica?

Thanks,

Vincent

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz132
    Hi there,

I'm looking for similar races as the famous downieville one. It's the one that look the most similar to what we have in Europe so called "DH marathon" ( maxi et megavalanche).

Long Downhill tracks with minimization of climbing sections.

And for the Homer that have already enjoy the Downieville, is that worth a trip of 8 hours car from Santa Monica?

Thanks,

Vincent
    Mark Weir thought it was worth coming to here
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    http://www.breakaway-events.net/

I recommend hitting up the 12 mile Ashland Super D, only a measly 10 hour drive from Santa Monica! It starts at the Mt Ashland Ski resort & ends in the town, wicked race & riding to be had!

Committed
    Second the Ashland 12 mile race recomendation.
    Looking forward to this race for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

DVille

There are not enough races like Dville, maybe in part as there are not enough people willing to do the incredible amount of work it must be for that long of a course. Megavalanche must be un-believeable to organize, but what a pile of entry fee money!! I am guessing everyone has seen chopper video of the mutiple waves of starters. Incredible.

If you can get to Downieville, and since you mentioned RACE actually get in the race it is TOTALLY worth it. It is a different world than SoCal and worth it just to get outa here. If you are in SoCal and want a good ride in the LA area, contact Dustybottoms for suggestions, he IS LA.

DT

jrm
    mtbr member

The only So. Cal races that come to mind..

would be the counting coup or the toads festival races-rides that the warrior society sponsors year round in the Cleveland National Forest, But, they involve an equal amount of climbing..

mtbr member
    Don't know about races but rode there last year. The locals are all really awesome there. The ride is so incredible. You have to experience it. I spend a couple of weeks mountain biking somewhere out there in the great big world of ours and have to say there is nothing like this ride anywhere. During this trip, I also hang in Southern CA for a couple of weeks. To date, I haven't found anything in the area like it. It is certainly worth the trip out there I only drove out from Tahoe for for the day and only scratched the surface on what they have to ride there. Go for it!!!

Aloha,
    g

http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/~grant/2007_Trip/videos/

mtbr member
    Thanks all for sharing,

The thing is that I'm actually in NYC, been in San Diego two years ago but not enough time to ride proper trails.

now that I'm back in June in Socal I would fix this lack of riding.

I also have an eye in France and actually the Enduro tribe is going on, two days of riding from the top , for a ride of 20 min or more.

For sure the Megavalanche is a great race, maybe too much riders now due to the sucess, and the fee entry is quite expensive too around 55 euros, $90.

I like this type of riding, Dh sprint is too short to enjoy the landscape, and all mountain mean climbing and I'm not in for too much climbing.

That's why these kinda of race are great cause they are offering the advantages of lift acess and some competitions spirit which is alsways good.

But if I'm sure that i will have great trails by LA and will get in touch with DUSTY to know more about it.

Thanks again