Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Disappointed!!

After a year of contemplating buying a 5 spot- and doing lots and lots of research- I finally pull the trigger and order it- I am a shorter guy 5'6"and was on the fence of whether or not to order the small or medium frame- after advice from other cyclists I ordered the small... UNFORTUNATELY- no where on the Turner website does it show a different top tube geometry for the small frame. HAD I KNOWN it would look like a kids bike I would have NEVER ordered the small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The bike shop is already putting it together- and I am second guessing this decision. Can ANYONE reassure me that I made the right decision.....??????? Has anyone had this same experience????

Now with flavor!!
    Does ANYONE have any more punctuation marks I can borrow!!!!!?????.....????!!!!$$@@!!!!{\]*+++)(&%???

You should probably take your new bike for a spin around the hood before you have an aneurysm.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by edupe
    After a year of contemplating buying a 5 spot- and doing lots and lots of research- I finally pull the trigger and order it- I am a shorter guy 5'6"and was on the fence of whether or not to order the small or medium frame- after advice from other cyclists I ordered the small... UNFORTUNATELY- no where on the Turner website does it show a different top tube geometry for the small frame. HAD I KNOWN it would look like a kids bike I would have NEVER ordered the small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The bike shop is already putting it together- and I am second guessing this decision. Can ANYONE reassure me that I made the right decision.....??????? Has anyone had this same experience????
    My suggestion is to keep your eyes down the trail when you are riding your small Spot. It is very difficult to maintain control while inspecting the "look" of your ride.

Just keep in mind that you will be riding a VERY nice bike with a great feel and excellent performance. Sacrificing ride quality for looks would be a huge mistake!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Stop!!

If you hate it now, it won't get easier. Stop the shop and get a medium. My wife is 5'6" and ride medium with 80 stem for XC or 70 stem from AM.

The bent top tube is for those who think an extra inch will save their soft parts, truth is most mtb riders will slide out or go over the bars, not clown walk the top tube.

Get a medium, buyers remorse is no fun.

DT

3 "fiddy" for short
    By the way.....the chart on the Turner site suggests that you buy the small.

mtbr member
    Go by TT length and the way the bike rides, not the way it looks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I am 5,5 and ride a medium. It has worked out great.

mtbr member
    take DTs advice stop the shop. you won't get much support from this board. there are very few that would admit that the smaller Turners look like a kid's bike, dare i even say a girls bike... but they do and it's to bad for the ones that do care when they pay this kinda coin for bike frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    AHAHAHAHA, I had a friend clown walk down some steep rooty steps...funniest thing I ever saw on a mtb!

thanks for the laugh.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes

The bent top tube is for those who think an extra inch will save their soft parts, truth is most mtb riders will slide out or go over the bars, not clown walk the top tube.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rodel
    there are very few that would admit that the smaller Turners look like a kid's bike, dare i even say a girls bike... but they do and it's to bad for the ones that do care when they pay this kinda coin for bike frame.

Oh the poor victims!

Measurements are listed on turner's website. I can't say for sure but that's probably for a reason.

I feel sorry for anyone that buys an appropriately sized frame and can't get over what the size LOOKS like before they even sit on the built up bike. That must be a rough world to live in.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member

not a fan of the bent TT either but this looks good. definitely needs a slacker HA, though. ; )
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm not sure I'd exchange a swooping top tube for these, but if the looks are that important you could step into a medium and out in style with some new footwear:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s

not a fan of the bent TT either but this looks good. definitely needs a slacker HA, though. ; )
    and some more cable ties.

Now with flavor!!
    That actually looks like a pretty sweet slopestyle bike.

mtbr member
    Bummer dude........

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm between 5'6" & 5'7" and have a medium DW 5 Spot. Coming from an HL 5 Spot, the DW feels smaller. I run a straight seatpost and 110 stem which fits me perfect. I demo'd the 5 Spot at Fruita Fat Tire Fest last year and Moe never considered throwing me on a small. Has your LBS built a medium for anyone that might let you take a spin on it? Good luck.

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    I think the small looks awesome, too bad im 6'4"
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

mtbr member
    life is steeper than it looks

mtbr member
    nevermind
    life is steeper than it looks

I sweep myself
    fwiw - I'm 5' 5 1/2" (damn right I'm gettin that 1/2" in there) and couldn't be happier with my small. Low CoG and flickable like a BMX bike, but long enough TT (for me) for a long ride (4-5hrs).

Everyone says the DW 5 Spot runs short, but look around, in a Small it's one of the longest front ends you will find (part of the reason I bought my first Turner years ago).

I wasn't crazy about the bent tt at first but then you kind of forget about it and then it starts to look low, long and mean.
    "In the past few years there has been building up within me an obsession that the only way to piece of mind is to go somewhere in the desert, far away from things, and just sit down." - Ernie Pyle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edupe
    It depends. Are you really 5'6" or are you one of those short guys who is barely 5'4" and lies about his height? Makes a difference. FWIW, the difference in the TT is only .5". Take 10mm off your stem and you're golden.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, the good- bad and the ugly.

tg
    mtbr member
    Ride and smile Thats a great looking bike.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    FWIW, the difference in the TT is only .5". Take 10mm off your stem and you're golden.
    Or maybe add to it since you think it may be too small.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm confused why there are 2 threads? You start one asking what the correct size should be, then one hour later start this one?

edit - enjoy it. I'm 6' tall and have always loved the look of a 16"/small frame. - something about the compact-ness of it compared to the larges I ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast