mtbr member

Differences to expect from HL Flux to DW12/13 year Five Spot

Getting the new bike bug after 7 years on my flux and im tempted to go 5 Spot...not convinced by the bigger wheels sizes ..."YET"

i just cant see past Turner for my new toy as the flux has been superb..

Im more towards long day rides over whatever terrain i come across and wonder if the spot is too much bike for this but the thought of the extra travel and comfort and better in the rough stuff is appealing and im not really sure where the 5 spot is aimed

biggest issue is the Large spot is 23.6 over my flux at 24.2 in the TT ..would i notice or does the geometry of the spot change its perceived feel in terms of reach..

just cant understand why the spot is a touch shorter for its given size over the flux...

Thanks

banned
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CragRat View Post
    Getting the new bike bug after 7 years on my flux and im tempted to go 5 Spot...not convinced by the bigger wheels sizes ..."YET"

Im more towards long day rides over whatever terrain i come across and wonder if the spot is too much bike for this but the thought of the extra travel and comfort is appealing and im not really sure where the 5 spot is aimed

biggest issue is the Large spot is 23.6 over my flux at 24.2 in the TT ..would i notice or does the geometry of the spot change its perceived feel in terms of reach..

just cant understand why the spot is a touch shorter for its given size over the flux...

Thanks
    You can probably get a 5 spot on the cheap, but 650b will be around for a while and will likely be the standard for the all-round trail bike category. Look around and invest for another 7 years if it will hold up. The Spot is more trail oriented at the moment, and I'm guessing that is where the geo differences come in. Be interesting to see if the Spot gets a makeover, or if it gets scrapped all together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The dw link Spot is a lot more pedal efficient than the HL Spot, if you run the stock Fox shock you shouldn't have to give up anything to the Flux as far as pedal efficiency. The TT length difference would be pretty easy to make up with some seat setback and a slightly longer stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Im more towards long day rides over whatever terrain i come across and wonder if the spot is too much bike for this but the thought of the extra travel and comfort and better in the rough stuff is appealing and im not really sure where the 5 spot is aimed

Thanks
    Turner does have 2012 Flux size Large on there web site( on sale) in the store section Large has a 23.9 eff tt. Call Turner and discuss your bar width and stem lengths. Bars have gotten wider over the years, so either you go shorter stem, top tube or both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have owned three 5 spots, and currently have two Sultans. I rode a Burner at Outerbike.

Buy a Burner. Its what you want based on your post.

My cup runneth over
    I went from an 2004 Burner to a 2010 5 Spot (160mm Lyric up front) and have loved it. The geometry is more biased to downhill stability rather than climbing efficiency. If you want to rock the downhills harder go with the Spot. I also bought a 2010 Flux frame a little over a year ago and itís still sitting unbuilt (in the bedroom). The only time I think about building it up is when I am dragging the (33lb) Spot up a long climb but quickly forget it on the down.

If you are satisfied with your current Flux on the downs and not looking to step up the aggressiveness, the newer Flux (if you can find one) is probably better in every way up and down than your old one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    Turner does have 2012 Flux size Large on there web site( on sale) in the store section Large has a 23.9 eff tt. Call Turner and discuss your bar width and stem lengths. Bars have gotten wider over the years, so either you go shorter stem, top tube or both.
    really, i thought the 2013 was unchanged from 2012 and it say its 23.6 on the website..

anyone got a link to how its changed over the years since it became DW

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    really, i thought the 2013 was unchanged from 2012 and it say its 23.6 on the website..

I was refering to the 2012 Flux size large being 23.9 and it has also gone up in travel to 120mm. Sorry I have not really been responding to your actual question. I just felt you should now what the 2012 Flux is and that some may still be available. You don't have to go up to the Spot.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Look for posts by xcguy. He had an old school Burner and went to a TNT 5 spot and never got comfortable. He might have some useful impressions.

I love the DW 5 spot for XC riding much better than my previous TNT 5 spot and it rocks the downhills too. Stay with a 140 mm shock on the spot if you get one. It could be too much bike for you though.

Since the Flux is being discontinued you should be able to find some deals on a DW version.

Bobo

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I just got a 2010 Flux and im loving it. My previous bike had 6" of rear travel, but it was a single puvot design. The DW is so smooth, I sometimes forget im riding FS!

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Build a lightwight 5 spot (not wight weenie, just light)

I went with $345 XTR wheelset (NEW 2011 5 spot for 135 rear still around), FOX 150 CTD, and XT group. Thompson stem/post and Haven bars. 27 pounds with pedals. I use it as XC bike with downhilling thrown in here and there. My spot is built for the way I ride, and it is better/faster than my 25 lb carbon full suspension that I sold. Tubeless ready 2.3 tires instead of downhill set up. The only thing I would change would be 34mm fork or 20mm front axle (then I got smoked by a dude with my same fork, so this fork is not what is holding me back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Look for posts by xcguy. He had an old school Burner and went to a TNT 5 spot and never got comfortable. He might have some useful impressions.

I love the DW 5 spot for XC riding much better than my previous TNT 5 spot and it rocks the downhills too. Stay with a 140 mm shock on the spot if you get one. It could be too much bike for you though.

Since the Flux is being discontinued you should be able to find some deals on a DW version.

Bobo
    xcguy, that's me! Yes, I had an old skool Burner (Pushed RP3, XR Rockers) that I really liked. But you're right, I never did feel the love for my 2007 Spot. It just seemed sluggish and its downhill capabilities were lost on me because I'm such a wuss going down. Even with exactly the same build as my Burner and a PUSHed RP23 it wasn't a keeper for me.

However, I test drove an '09 DW Link Spot multiple times and it was day and night over my TNT Spot. Quick, not sluggish.

I also built up an '06 Flux, same build as the Burner, but sold it as well because IMHO it wasn't "better" than my Burner.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

My cup runneth over
    A thread I started when deciding between an 09, 10 or 11.

Edit: There has also been at least one thread with comments from folks who have both a Spot and a Flux. Not sure how you would find it without a lot of reading - maybe someone on this thread will remember - maybe xcguy...

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    xcguy, that's me! Yes, I had an old skool Burner (Pushed RP3, XR Rockers) that I really liked. But you're right, I never did feel the love for my 2007 Spot. It just seemed sluggish and its downhill capabilities were lost on me because I'm such a wuss going down. Even with exactly the same build as my Burner and a PUSHed RP23 it wasn't a keeper for me.

However, I test drove an '09 DW Link Spot multiple times and it was day and night over my TNT Spot. Quick, not sluggish.
    Quick enough to replace the Burner? I think that is the question. To you of course...

Bobo

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Quick enough to replace the Burner? I think that is the question. To you of course...

Bobo
    Yes. My point I guess is as much as I liked my '04 Burner, the TNT Flux wouldn't replace it, the TNT Spot wouldn't (for my riding style) but the DW Spot would. I also test rode Christina's own personal DW Flux at a gathering in Moab and it was "better" than my '04 Burner as well.

I wish I'd inherited a downhill gene so I could comment on all of my Turners' descending abilities but I was mostly about the climbing.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I went with $345 XTR wheelset (NEW 2011 5 spot for 135 rear still around), FOX 150 CTD, and XT group. Thompson stem/post and Haven bars. 27 pounds with pedals. I use it as XC bike with downhilling thrown in here and there. My spot is built for the way I ride, and it is better/faster than my 25 lb carbon full suspension that I sold. Tubeless ready 2.3 tires instead of downhill set up. The only thing I would change would be 34mm fork or 20mm front axle (then I got smoked by a dude with my same fork, so this fork is not what is holding me back.
    FTW. hoolie's got it. The 5 spot is so capable yet so "XC" efficient that you will not be disappointed with a lighter built Spot. Even at 32 lbs my burly dw Spot is a great all-day, ride-anywhere up or down mount.

If you want something more AM cabable later you can always add a 160 34-36mm fork down the road. Heck, even if you start there with a 34/160 air fork you can build it under 29 lbs pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the comments, still the main problem of size that the spot is 23.6 and my flux is 24.2 in the TT and i use a 100m stem..maybe that would make know difference as for the spots intended purpose..who knows

Thats where the Burner is becoming appealin although im wary of the whole 650b movement and if it is just a fad, 29er seems to be popular but does the 650b have the best bits of both orthe worst bit of both sizes...arrgghhh...also again for the same size frame the sultan is shorter by almost an inch over the burner and i imagine the sultan is the more xc which is normally long and low orientated and its shorter travel ...baffled

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks all for the comments, still the main problem of size that the spot is 23.6 and my flux is 24.2 in the TT and i use a 100m stem..maybe that would make know difference as for the spots intended purpose..who knows

Thats where the Burner is becoming appealin although im wary of the whole 650b movement and if it is just a fad, 29er seems to be popular but does the 650b have the best bits of both orthe worst bit of both sizes...arrgghhh...also again for the same size frame the sultan is shorter by almost an inch over the burner and i imagine the sultan is the more xc which is normally long and low orientated and its shorter travel ...baffled
    Some aditional info might help- What did you feel was missing with your current Flux, what are you trails like, are you looking to gain more speed on the descents, drops/jumps in the picture? I still think you should call/e-mail and talk to Turner or watch some of the interbike interviews with Dave. Without knowing more to me it sounds like you want to retain the same fit/body position and just get something newer. The 2012 Flux with its increased travel, 44mm head tube and thru axle rear dropouts will be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Coming from a Flux, go Burner. Or wait a year for what I'm betting will be a shorter travel 650B, and/or carbon fiber 100 mm 29er (please, God!).

In general, current bikes have trended to a slightly shorter TT and slacker HT angle. I kind of hated it to start with, but you quickly adapt, except IMO in the case of a true xc race bike.

When climbing really steep stuff, the DW system keeps the shock from sagging as much as the HL system did, so you don't have to get as crazy with weighting the front, so the slightly shorter TT is not as big a deal as you'd expect, and it is a definite bonus on the way down.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Superlight and Heckler have the same relationship as the Flux/Spot (with the Superlight having the longer top tube in Large, Medium, & Small.) You expect to adopt a more racy/forward position on the Superlight and Flux. I was looing for more downhill confidence so I moved from Superlight to a brief flirtation with the Heckler. The Heckler couldn't climb and pedal as well as I hoped it might so I was thinking of returning to the Superlight when a friend told me of fabulous disconts on DW Flux frames. I grabbed one and fitted Rev Maxle with travel shortened from 140mm to 120mm. I was amazed at how confident the Flux felt downhill after stepping off the Heckler with way more travel. If you want to results now and want to grab a bargain then go DW Flux (well at least test ride one).