Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Diet for my 5 spot

Hi Folks,

I've had my 5spot for 1 1/2 years now and love it. But, having now gotten over the initial cost of buying it, I want to put it on a diet. Not sure how much it weighs, but it does feel a tad heavy, especially on the climbs.

Basic set up is:
    medium with romic shock
    Fox vanillas
    XM321 with hope bulbs, with conti tyres
    Thomspon stem and seatpost
    Easton carbon riser
    Rocket V saddle

How much difference would an rp3 make, or would I get better acceleration from some new light wheels? I'd keep the old parts so I can build it tough for playing around and use lighter for all day rides.

Would a dhx air fit a frame bought in Nov 04?
    Last edited by glutes; 03-25-2006 at 02:19 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Just my thoughts

Since my romic is handing a round i just weighed it,and it came out at 782 grams and the RP3 is a round 200 grams so thats a good way to start.I was planning the same thing in a mounth or 2 myself. Light wheels and tyers will make for better acceleration and bring your weight down. As for the dhx air i belive it depends on your frame size, lrg and xl will fit no problem but check with some of the other guys on the sight just to check. I think the problem was the boost valve hit the down tube on smaller frames.hope this helps bat.

Team Blindspot

DHX air will work..

Quote Originally Posted by bat on a bike
    Since my romic is handing a round i just weighed it,and it came out at 782 grams and the RP3 is a round 200 grams so thats a good way to start.I was planning the same thing in a mounth or 2 myself. Light wheels and tyers will make for better acceleration and bring your weight down. As for the dhx air i belive it depends on your frame size, lrg and xl will fit no problem but check with some of the other guys on the sight just to check. I think the problem was the boost valve hit the down tube on smaller frames.hope this helps bat.
    You just have to remove the bottom out knob.

Your best bet will be to call the boys at Push and talk to them about the best shock for your spot. Thay can't work on the DHX but can with the RP3. So not only would you be getting the lightest shock, but the best for you and are ride.

Good Dirt!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    thanks for the shock advice. Anyone any thoughts on whether a lighter set of wheels would bemore noticeble than a shock which is 1 lb lighter? Would the RP3 make a big difference to the way the bike felt, I guess also the way it climbs?

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by glutes
    thanks for the shock advice. Anyone any thoughts on whether a lighter set of wheels would bemore noticeble than a shock which is 1 lb lighter? Would the RP3 make a big difference to the way the bike felt, I guess also the way it climbs?
    Give Larry at MtnHighcyclery dot com a call. He's a Turner dealer and builds killer wheels. He can answer all your questions and hook you up.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The bike will feel different with the RP3. I changed the Romic on my 5 Spot to an RP3 which lost around a pound in weight but also makes the ride "sportier" and "snappier" whilst still giving that bottomless plush feel. Swapping the vanillas to floats would save a bit as well. Start with an RP3 as you may find everything you're looking for with that mod.

mtbr member

agreed

Most of it has been said. I agree go with the RP3, and you cant eventually get it pushed. If you like the feel of the Romic new wheels might be the call. I just got a set of Hadley/819s for trail riding my rfx. I was using the WTB DH wheelset. The weight change is very noticeable.....both up and down. Definately nice on the way up....the bike just seems to roll alot faster.

I think I would go for the wheelset, and then over time look for a used shop. Be patient and you will find a good deal. Also, some other air shocks are coming out soon...RS Pearl, Marz. ROCO Air,......it might be worht holding off on a shock for the time being.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've managed to pursuade a friend to lend me some 317/ Hope XC wheels to see of they weigh a bit less. The other option would be to get some light tyres and tubes, which should be a cheap way of reducing the wheel weight.- any ideads?

Think I'll try an air shock, but take the advice and see what 2006 comes up with.

Also, gettgin out the bke now winter's over (UK winter has been very dark, wet and cold!) I should be out more often and even fit in an hour or two after work- so will loose some weight off myself!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Note that the rocker has been milled out a bit for the shock valve to fit. If there isn't that relief the shock won't fit!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    go to bike24.de and get a pair of schwalbe nobby nics, way cheaper than UK and about 5 delivery, arrive in about 4 days. Talk to Tim Flooks at TFtuned about a PUSH'd RP3 in the UK, maybe save some money on a float and get a rockshox revelation.

banned
    wheels and tires.

wheels and tires.

wheels and tires.

and more miles in the saddle.

XM321/F219 -- you can go lighter. swap spokes and rims. the Bulbs are good and swapping hubs for lighter ones isn't noticeable, the rotating weight is too close to the axle of rotation.

run DB spokes 14/15 or lighter if the wheel builder is good and confident with lighter ones.

tubeless tires maybe? I'm not into them but those who are brag on the weight savings and handling improvements.

what Contis are you running? there are lighter tires for sure. Schwalbe Big Jim in the lightest casing model is a very light tire that works amazingly well for such a spindly thing.

Hutchinson Python Airlight or equivalent in the rear if you can get away with it. some places/terrain types it's entirely feasible. I rode a Python Airlight in the rear for a lot of hours in Durango CO over a 3 day period, worked great.

wheels and tires.

No, that's not phonetic
    Gonz makes peace with his inner weight weenie!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Gonz makes peace with his inner weight weenie!
    oh I know all about shaving grams. after all I had to devise a strategy for the lightening of the 6-Pack for the Test of Metal last year. the build that resulted was very similar to the "burly xc" builds that it seems so many Homers apply to their RFX/6-Packs.

actually I tend to complain about those who pad on the grams for appearance's sake, rather than those who seek to make things lighter. it's all about perspective.

for example, if I were epic-racing my 6 Pack more often it would likely not be a 6-Pack but rather would be replaced with a 5-Spot, with air at front and rear dampers. somewhere around 28 lbs.

those uberlight build 6-Packs sure must please their owners, but they confuse me. why saddle yourself with the 3-4 lbs extra weight if you don't rail the descents? to me it just looks like ... uh ... something I'd prefer to not do on my own bike.

I decided to run a burlier rear wheel with a lighter rear tire for some of my riding this season. the rear wheel has 14ga spokes and an Arrow FR rim. it's pretty heavy, pretty slow to accelerate when you're pedaling. I'm trying to compare whether I prefer that route or a lighter rim/spoke combo with a DH casing tire (XC tube though). I'm getting pickier and pickier about my bike feel preferences. I like the springier casing of DH tires, but tend toward the softer sidewalls like Kendas, Tiogas, Maxxis. Intense DH tires just annoy me. I don't like the trail feedback (or lack thereof).

current tire combo is Nevegal Stick-E (XC casing) 2.5 front 2.35 rear. the big bike is running the same setup but DH casings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hey, who took Gonzo and replaced him with this pleasant, conversant, knowledgable, sharing kind of guy?

BTW Gonz, I just switched from a Spot to an RFX for my main HD XC rig. The reason is that the RFX isn't that much slower going up, but if you're biggish, it is much, much stiffer feeling on the way down, and even negotiating rocky, technical up-moves.

I was sweating whether I'd like the change, but it's a big plus, so far.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

PSI
    I want that one

the rational approach

Gluts, a while back when i was still thinking about loosing weight on my 5 Spot (now im trying to turn it into a 5" highline ) I set up an excel sheet with the weight of my current parts, minus the weight of new, lighter parts vs. cost. i dont have document anymore, but i remember that in terms of bang for your buck there were some real suprises, like switching pedals ($70) saved as much weight as switching to a dhx-a ($425)

Team Blindspot

Thanks for pointing out Red..

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Note that the rocker has been milled out a bit for the shock valve to fit. If there isn't that relief the shock won't fit!
    Small detail I neglected to mention.

Darren milled the notch for me, hence the Push sticker on the rocker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S-Works; 03-26-2006 at 08:53 AM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've swapped the CB Mallet C's for my candy SLs off my wife's hardtail and so that has helped a tad, I think- think I will save up for a pushed rp3, from TF Tuned in the UK, and go for some light tyres. I still hit downhills hard, and haven't had a buckle since owning the bike, so will persevere with the 321s .

Then again, quite like the DT wheel sets you can get, but they're probably mega-($$!).

Wish I had gone for the vanilla RLC rather than the R, the forks do wallow a lot when you pound on the pedals.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Hey, who took Gonzo and replaced him with this pleasant, conversant, knowledgable, sharing kind of guy?
    I quit having big fun making drive-by slams. it got boring.

I think the 6-Pack can be an XC bike for someone who is big, or who breaks things, or who likes a more stable geometry/handling/feel. I'm not heavy (155 lbs) but I have broken frames and parts, and I like a DH bike feel for most of my rides that are long backcountry XC rides ("epics" in the IMBA vernacular). I own two steel hardtails for XC riding that is on smoothish terrain, and for a different experience (slower, poking-about) on the rougher terrain.

the reason I used to drive-by slam the feathery 6-Packs is that so many of them were being built with parts that revealed an intent to ride them like one would ride a Flux/Nitrous, or perhaps a 5-Spot.

I'm not the arbiter of who can ride what, not by any means.

but I think that it's kinda sad to watch someone pay $2000 for a frame that I can see isn't likely to result in the kind of ride that person seems to be seeking.

the thread about the used/new RFX shows that there are plenty of people who found that they didn't need the burl and slower handling and weight of the 6-Pack compared to a 5-Spot or Flux/Nitrous. there are even people selling their SC Nomads because they're "too much bike" and likewise for 2 years running with Specialized SX Trail and even Enduro Pro models. I'm willing to bet that the best indicator for someone's eventual dislike of their bigger bike is their description of wanting to ride "light freeride" terrain. the best way to ride "light freeride" terrain is to use a bike you already know and improve your skills, which will improve your confidence, which will negate that 'fraidy- cat voice inside your head that keeps rationalizing, "I'd do that if I had a bigger bike." trust me, I know this from experience as I was at that point several years ago, before I got any FS rigs.

+++++++++++++++

my apology for the juvenile use of emoticons. trying to show this isn't another drive-by slam.
    Last edited by gonzostrike; 03-26-2006 at 08:47 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by glutes
    I've swapped the CB Mallet C's for my candy SLs off my wife's hardtail and so that has helped a tad, I think- think I will save up for a pushed rp3, from TF Tuned in the UK, and go for some light tyres. I still hit downhills hard, and haven't had a buckle since owning the bike, so will persevere with the 321s .

Then again, quite like the DT wheel sets you can get, but they're probably mega-($$!).

Wish I had gone for the vanilla RLC rather than the R, the forks do wallow a lot when you pound on the pedals.
    glutes -- a good wheelbuilder can build you a fully customized wheelset for a lesser price than the factory chi-chi (Mavic, DT, WTB, Cane Creek, etc) wheelsets. and PUSH or TF Tuned can tune your fork to help eliminate the weight-shift monkey motion.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    I quit having big fun making drive-by slams. it got boring.
    Woah, there must be some serious meds involved, just 17 hrs ago we had this:
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    you are as unreasonable as the pu$$ who was whining about his stupid tampon string location for his tampon holder on his tampon machine 29er.
    LOL!!! (sorry SpeedThrills, you didn't deserve that but it was funny)

Anyway if all the hell raisers go moderate we'll just be left with Dusty and Davide.(Yikes)

That said... The days of flying pigs have truly arrived b/c I too am taking a scale and a wrench to my Spot.

I've been stacking up the pounds and KrispyKremes have nothing to do with it. The weight is all in parts. Mallets, (Now control Zs) Z1am, E13 DRS & Supercharger, DHX coil, Gravity dropper, EX823 wheelset (36h rear) I'm almost scared to weigh my Spot... It was 34# before all the above. The time has come to stop beefing up and move all the burl over to an RFX and ride it as intended. (more on that later)

That leaves me to lighten my Spot for XCish trail riding.
    I'll be using my moth-balled UGI'ed parts:
    RP3
    XMax XL wheelset (gawd I hope I can deal with this)
    Lighter narrower 2.1 tires (Oh boy look out rims)
    XTR Crankset (gotta find some kind of bash guard)
    ATAC pedals
    Thompson Seatpost
    Pike 454 Air (I'm going lighter but I'm still a Clyde)
    XTR F&R ders (The RFX gets the X.0-R & XT-F )
    XTR shifters (The RFX gets the X.9 pods)
    Selle Itallia Genuine Gel seat, new. (heck I bent ~ 6 WTB Lasers so I don't care anymore, plus I'll won't be riding this as hard )
    It'll keep the XTR hydros and XT/Danger boy levers, as well as the Thompson stem and Easton EA-70 bars.
    No carbon in my parts box...maybe I'll do some as UGI much later.

If I can get this down to 28-29# I'd be pleased. The realist in me says ~31 is more likely the end result...we'll see.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 03-26-2006 at 09:28 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Baked Alaskan
    Watch out, with all this inner weight weenie talk Davide might jump in with some faux carbon tape testimonials.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Lay off the Levers
    I hear just having that stuff makes your bike lighter, so I just bought a 200' roll. I'm gonna wrap the whole scooter. I figure that'll shave another 4 lbs.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Woah, there must be some serious meds involved, just 17 hrs ago we had this: LOL!!! (sorry SpeedThrills, you didn't deserve that but it was funny)
    No worries, 'Zilla. I told manic-boy what he can do with his 'tude in the corresponding thread.

I mean...what was I THINKING by claiming "the customer is always right"???!!!??? Especially us Homers...we all know that good cusomter service from DT really isnt a big deal at all, right? LOL!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Shock swap sounds good.

Swap the Vanilla for a Float?

XM 321 for XM 719? Saves you 110g/rim, and I've done some very silly things with mine this year and they're still stright and un crimped. 717s aren't much lighter, but they're WAY more fragile.

Don't get too suckered into the weight weenie thing though. It is STILL a 5" travel bike, and SHOULD STILL be capable of taking a beating.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast