Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Did you put the spacer on the L hand side on your XT cranks?

I have heard that putting the spacer on the non drive side of your XT cranks helps avoid the potential chainline problems with the new XT 760 cranks. Just wondering....

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hey! I just picked up the Xt 760 at a great price from jenson and had it installed at a lbs. Mine does not have the spacer on the non-drive side. I was curious about that in the owners manual when considering installing it myself. Don't know for sure.

mtbr member
    One spacer on the drive side for a 73mm BB shell and 2 on the drive side/1 on the non-drive side for a 68mm BB shell. Chainline is fine with this setup.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I have heard that putting the spacer on the non drive side of your XT cranks helps avoid the potential chainline problems with the new XT 760 cranks. Just wondering....

Jaybo
    I put the spacer on the NDS. I'm running 8 speed so I think the 47.5mm chainline may work out better. At least it did on my Titus. YMMV.
    Long Live Long Rides

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

What I'm thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    I put the spacer on the NDS. I'm running 8 speed so I think the 47.5mm chainline may work out better. At least it did on my Titus. YMMV.
    Shiman recommends you put the spacer on the driveside with a 73mm BB. I don't understand why you couldn't got NDS and avoid screwing with the chainline. Thanks for tip.

Jaybo

By the way, you are getting the homers all wound up with the frame quality comparisons between the Titus and Turner frames. Funny.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Shiman recommends you put the spacer on the driveside with a 73mm BB. I don't understand why you couldn't got NDS and avoid screwing with the chainline. Thanks for tip.

Jaybo

By the way, you are getting the homers all wound up with the frame quality comparisons between the Titus and Turner frames. Funny.
    Shimano recommends that because they have setup their drivetrian to work together at 50mm. But if you mix and match new and old, the results aren't aways good. Shimano has never been big on backward compatability.

Honestly, I wish they would put out a crankset that didn't need the spacer with lower q-factor. Who gives a fart about an e-type front derailleur or chainguide with XT? Not most people. Might be an issue with Hone or Saint but doesn't make sense for XT.

And funny how things devolve around here. Turner puts out a great bike, but invite the possiblity of other brands that are just as good or better and it's blasphemy. That's okay, every arse is entitled to it's stink.
    Long Live Long Rides

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Works like a charm....

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Shimano recommends that because they have setup their drivetrian to work together at 50mm. But if you mix and match new and old, the results aren't aways good. Shimano has never been big on backward compatability.

Honestly, I wish they would put out a crankset that didn't need the spacer with lower q-factor. Who gives a fart about an e-type front derailleur or chainguide with XT? Not most people. Might be an issue with Hone or Saint but doesn't make sense for XT.

And funny how things devolve around here. Turner puts out a great bike, but invite the possiblity of other brands that are just as good or better and it's blasphemy. That's okay, every arse is entitled to it's stink.
    Thanks for the tip! I put the spacer in the NDS side and it works fine. The chainline is only a bit wider than my old Octalink system ; however, unfortunately, the Q factor is wider. Not a good thing but doesn't bug me too much. Shimano needs to find a way to get ride of the spacers on either side.....to get the Q factor down and give us a chance to choose our own set up.

Jaybo