Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

did you miss me?

optional titles:

screw you all. im goin skiin, again!

screw you all. im goin... to take my girl to the hospital.

snowbound.

takin a powder.

its late so ill try to keep this short. with the snow d/h race cancelled at the last moment, we decided to keep our reservations and head out to the black hills of s. dakota anyway and do some skiin on a hill with some decent elevation. the place, terry peak. a good hill, a damn fine hill really. we had plans to meet sparrow and his wife for sat runs and dinner after since he owns a shop about a hour north in rapid city. once they hit the ski area he gave us a call and we were on our way down to the lower lift to meet them. this was our 5th run and it was pretty tame but candy got skeered and crossed tips sendin her twistin through the air ass over tea kettle with a bad landing.

i knew it was bad but the string of cuss words through clenched teeth left no doubt somethin was worse than just a bad fall. it was her right knee. i set up the poles up hill of us in a pair of crosses and gathered up the skis as i asked a young snowboarder to send help. she looked at me and basicly ignored me. the next skier by said hed send help and he did. ski patrol was there in 3 or 4 min as i cradled candy in my arms. i called sparrow to let him know we wernt worth waitin for and to carry on without us. red cross ron showed up and called for a snowmobile to take her back up to the medical shack while he snatched up all her gear and led me to a lift and back down to her side. i had no clue how i was gonna carry all that stuff or how to get back to her so this was a multiple ass saver.

i cant recall the gals name who helped her at the med shack but she was great none the less. she totaly got candy calm, even had her laughin, helped me get her to the car after she slipped on the step down and scared the crap outta me with the pain she showed. and then we were off to the er about 20 min down the road where nurse todd and dr leroy found no breaks in the r knee but one critical brake in the right hand and splinted up both but not before he gave her a 24 hour supply of codine and ibuprofin as the closest open pharmacy over the weekend was over a hour away with a storm movin in. all should be well the next day.

it wasnt. we got slammed and the hwy was quickly closed.... till monday afternoon. so the next day dr leroy called the local pharmasist and asked her to drive down outta the woods to do a emergency fill. very cool. with no way home we hung out in the motel for 2 days and were treated quite well by the owners of the black hills inn in deadwood, a place ill now always return to when i go back and go back i will.

i did manage to get some runs in mon am before the roads opened and it was all powder baby! id never skied in real powder before and this was a big treat and a tough test as there was a hard packed surface a foot below that kept tryin to make my little race skis go in 2 diff directions. not sure if the am sticks i left at home woulda helped or not. my legs were burnin after about 3 runs and my feet ached in my continually ill fitting boots but i still loved it none the less. so this is what you all keep talkin about! the pow pow! weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

the drive home pretty much sucked on one hand and was a ton of fun on the other. although the roads were open, they were a true test for this ex desert dwellin car racer boy. we saw the worst of it within 90 miles of home after about a 400 mile drive. blowin snow, drifts and a near white out at times made me work hard but thats the fun part. once home we got her inside and comfy, while her son emptied the car and i took a very happy odus outside to shovel the driveway. seems he missed us as much as we missed him.

thanx to squish and the boys for coverin the shop durrin my extended trip, and all the super friendly folks we met in deadwood and lead while in the black hills. oh yeah, i did get to meet sparrow and his lovely wife outside of the ski patrol hut as i gathered up our gear. they came up to make sure she was ok. how cool is that? we had plans to do breakfast in rapid but we obviously missed that date. next time pal and thanx for all the calls.

this went on way longer than i had planned. odus and the girl are curled up on the couch together so i think ill get her into bed and join her. more later. you should see the pics i took in the er!
    No, I'm NOT back!

I think I need to Upgrade
    Since I can decide which response to give I will give you all the responses I have in my head....

1. Happy to hear that your Lady will be ok and that she was able to atleast have a little bit of fun.

2. You really need to stop letting your old age rub of on your Lady, she is getting hurt now .

3. So you can take a vacation to go skiing, but you can't take a vacation to see me!! I think that we need to start seeing other people because it is obvious you just don't have time for me anymore .

Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    3. So you can take a vacation to go skiing, but you can't take a vacation to see me!! I think that we need to start seeing other people because it is obvious you just don't have time for me anymore .
    See Cactus, thats what postin your turn-ons and turn-offs on a public forum will get you. Now you got a bonafide male stalker terrorizing you.

Sorry to hear about the injuries hope the girly gets well soon.

banned
    CC,
    Welcome back, brother. Unfortunately my ADD won't allow me to read anything past 1 paragraph.

Maybe next time?

Toby Wong?
    do you call her "candycorn"?
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

her boss calls her crash and im the candy killer. i like candycorn much better. too bad hes not as funny as you.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    long distance relationships are tough. sorry yer such a pansy. so this is goodbye, azwhinerpansy.
    No, I'm NOT back!

HIKE!

Glad you made it home!

CC, glad to know you survived the wild roads East of here, sounded like sketchy driving. I never go East of Wall, so I sorta figured the edge of the world was over there somewhere on the horizon. We got even more snow overnight, a real 24-30" in spots over the past few days, gonna shut down the riding for a couple weeks. But good skiing, so it's a wash.

It was good to meet you, sorry not to get together for more than a handshake! Plan a May or June trip for some biking. Keep care of Candy!

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    long distance relationships are tough. sorry yer such a pansy. so this is goodbye, azwhinerpansy.

I am sorry you don't exist anymore, you have been replaced by a Turner, atleast I know that it will be reliable.

Lay off the Levers
    Welcome Back CC. sorry to hear about the GF's injury. Hope she heals well
    Sounds like a heckuva trip.

Faster is better, even when it's not.

Bodhisattva
    You got to ski Powder !!!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhh

Was there some kind of downside to this tale?

Sorry to hear about Candycorn. She'll be good as new in no time. This season alone I've dislocated my left shoulder and left pinky but have still logged over 40 days on the hill.
    Life....the original terminal illness

good vibes

thanx to all of ya for the kind words and the new moniker for the girl. candycorn is doin well and even handles some light walkin round the casa. the dreaded day 3 is all but over without much fanfare so thats cool.

i have a few pics of our time in the er where i tried to make light of a bad time.

#1) home made baloon
    #2) bring out cha dead!
    #3) Candys big break
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bodhisattva
    FACEOFF:

Candy's scaphoid fracture v. JOD's spinal break

I'm going with JOD cause she's been sporting the funky headgear

true dat pal but i only like jod. love conquers all, right? point goes to candycorn.

ps: sorry to hear of yer injuries. hope alls well.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    true dat pal but i only like jod. love conquers all, right? point goes to candycorn.

ps: sorry to hear of yer injuries. hope alls well.
    Me?
    I'm fine. Not the first time I've dislocated a shoulder but it was the first time I did it on the left side. Lucky for me I know how to get them back into place. Did it skiing tight skis on a day with 14" of fresh. Happened early in the morning. Skied out the day and the following two days. I don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed but powder is powder

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sorry to hear about the Candy's injury, hope she has a speedy recovery. I know what is like to be on the side line because of an injury. I would not take the ibuprofen, when I broke my foot my ortho told me that ibuprofen can inhibit bone growth.

Yeah, you were missed, was looking forward to see what you thought of my bike, now that I have posted pictures of it. Check it out, in the Flux set up thread, and the other thread I started about the bike.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Single Track MTBer
    I would not take the ibuprofen, when I broke my foot my ortho told me that ibuprofen can inhibit bone growth.
    It's somewhat controversial. The theory is that ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatories can slow bone growth but the evidence is very mixed. The problem is that broken bones hurt and most docs and physicians go light on the narcotics for other understandable reasons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    It's somewhat controversial. The theory is that ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatories can slow bone growth but the evidence is very mixed. The problem is that broken bones hurt and most docs and physicians go light on the narcotics for other understandable reasons.

I agree, there was probably a study somewhere. I should note that he was not against me taking anti-inflammatories, just ibuprofen.