Mexican e-rider

Did I F&%#k up????

Here's the story:

I own a Flux and a Spot. The Spot was one of the Interbike demos and it came with a FSA XC 300 wheelset, my Flux had XT hubs with Mavic XM 819 rims and no-name spokes. I switched wheels since the Mavs seemed more robust and better suited for the riding I do on the Spot (nothing too extreme though).

A few weeks ago UGI got the best of me and I got a pair of Hope Pro II hubs for the spot, but I couldn't control my Weight Weenie past and I went ahead and got a pair of DT 4.1s and some Revolution spokes.

Now that the new wheels are built up it looks like they are not really Spot material and probably won't run bigger tires well. So what would you guys advice:

1) Put the FSA XC 300 back on the spot and the Pro II-4.1s on the Flux

2) Figure out if the Pro-II-4.1 can handle my riding on the Spot

3) Ask the guy I sold the XT-Mavic 819 to pleeeeease let me have them back and sell the FSA XC 300s

Your infinite collective Homer wisdom is really appreciated.

Thanks

Mada
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sorry. Double Post.
    Last edited by Dave in Driggs; 05-12-2006 at 01:42 PM. Reason: double post
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The DT XR4.1d rims have been very durable for me and I use them on my 5 Spot with 2.35 Blue Groove/Nevegals all the time. As long as they are 32 spoke and built by a good wheelbuilder you should be fine. I weigh 175 lbs.

Why not use the lightest wheels you can get away with?
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Run them and let me know if they implode!
    I just put some Mutanoraptor 2.4's on my XT/717 wheelset for my Spot. I weigh 185 and don't do anything nuts. They were made by a good wheelbuilder and although they're nothing fancy, they haven't given me problems yet. But still, I may want to get a new wheelset that's a little nicer and sturdier yet not too heavy.
    Anyone notice that the XT Disc hubs seem to roll pretty fast. I know they don't have the best engagement in the world but I see mto find myself catching people on nicer hubs when we're just rolling along.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Anyone notice that the XT Disc hubs seem to roll pretty fast.
    Right up to the point when the freewheel siezes and then implodes or the engagement just completely goes away. I Love XT hubs

The DT 5.1 are only 500g FWIW (and they work well in a I9 wheelset).
    Nothing to see here.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    4.1d = 425g
    819 = 465g
    717Disc = 395

The 4.1d's have a pretty good rep, don't they? I know a few folks who like the 819 but they're spoz to feel pretty heavy. That's where I'd stop weight-wise for trail rims.

My wheelset is still a really good bonus away.
    Unless I crater the current set. Honestly they XT's have been pretty easy on me so far.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=RedRocker]4.1d = 425g
    819 = 465g
    717Disc = 395
    [QUOTE]

The 819s weight around 520 - 525g each. The weight that mavic quotes is without the nipple cups.... which are absolutely necessary.

The 819s may be the heaviest of the 3 listed, but they are really strong and stiff. A large noticable improvement from the 717s.

Bite Me.
    The Hope-DT 4.1 set sounds sweet - I wouldn't hesitate to run it on the Spot. My new set from Mike Garcia is the Pro II rear hub and the XC front hub laced to Velocity VXC rims. The VXC is also described as an XC rim, but the things are strong and light. I did go with a 36 spoke wheel for added strength, but I think your set up will be plenty strong unless you really are doing major drops onto flat or just hammering the hell out them. The lighter weight on the wheels just makes the Spot feel much more responsive. Don't sweat it.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    So what would you guys advice:

2) Figure out if the Pro-II-4.1 can handle my riding on the Spot
    I'd echo the others: the 4.1's should be up to the task of moderate riding on the Spot, but my concern would be with the spokes.

Revolutions are meant for something entirely different than a disc wheel on a 5" travel bike. I use Wheelsmith XL 15's (which are pretty close in weight, and probably strength too) on one of my racing wheelsets for my Flux. They work, but I sure wouldn't use them as an everyday spoke on my Spot.

May as well ride them and find out for yourself though. If it's a good build I think you'd be more likely to start breaking spokes (at which point they could be replaced and option 1 or 3 pursued) than taco the wheel and ruin all the spokes and the rim.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Mada

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 4.1s. I've seriously abused mine over the last 2 years and they can take it. You can also run the tubeless kit, and 2.35s are no problem.

Yes, you should get your xt-819 set back, then sell them to me.

mtbr member

I second that comment

Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    I'd echo the others: the 4.1's should be up to the task of moderate riding on the Spot, but my concern would be with the spokes. .
    I've never had a great time with revolution spokes and that was on a road bike. I only weigh 155lbs and had an Ultegra hub laced with Revolution spokes in 3X pattern, nothing weird about the build. Anyway I kept breaking spokes in sprints and after 2 new rebuilds I just gave up on them - too flexy for the task. On a disk wheel that would be putting them under some interesting stress. Having said that you've got nothing to lose by just going out and riding them, as long as you can cope with potential issues in reliability. Normally I go for Sapim Race or DT Super Comp spokes. The Super Comps are made for discs and weigh a whole 35g more for 64 spokes than the revolutions.

Too Much Fun

Velocity VXC is a nice, strong disc rim....

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    The Hope-DT 4.1 set sounds sweet - I wouldn't hesitate to run it on the Spot. My new set from Mike Garcia is the Pro II rear hub and the XC front hub laced to Velocity VXC rims. The VXC is also described as an XC rim, but the things are strong and light.
    ...But they are seriously narrow. Running tubeless isn't really an option, or if it is you'll need to do some custom fiddling to get stuff to fit in there. I'm running Velocity VXCs laced with Revolutions with my CK wheels on my Nomad. I like them a lot. While I love the light weight I'm definitely keeping a close eye on things. This is NOT a setup for bashers, thrashers or clydes, IMHO. I weigh 160 when I'm fat, less then that most of the time so I think I should be able to get away with it.

Time will tell.
    - -benja- -

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Running tubeless isn't really an option.
    Tubeless isn't an issue for me since I prefer tubes. I'm running a Geax Sturdy 2.25 and the Spec S-Works Enduro 2.2 w/o any problem. It looks like a Moto Rapto 2.4 would fit too. The bash factor was why I went with 36 spokes - the wheelset came in right at about 1700g without skewers and feels as strong as hell. For the heavy duty hammering I still have my old Dual Dutys, but it's almost painful to put them on unless I'm riding Keystone or something similar.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Mexican e-rider
    Thanks for your comments guys! I originally wanted Supercomp spokes but the guy who built the wheels convinced me about the Revolutions (he offered to change them if I had trouble). I'm still a bit worried about how they will hold up.

I finally decided to mount the wheels on the Flux. I put on a pair of Maxxis Larsons and it feels fast. Lets see how it does on the trail!

Thanks

Mada

Mexican e-rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Yes, you should get your xt-819 set back, then sell them to me.
    Sorry Tiger, rzozaya beatbyou to them!!!