Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

dhxc on '06 dhr: inithial settings?

my new dhx resi shock is finally on the way so thats cool. while i decide if im gonna have it pushed or not, i need some advice on settings. you guys got me damn close when i asked the same thing for the old rfx so i thought id ask again knowin things will be diff on this frame.

rider weight: 165 lbs w/o gear. i figure ill add another 10 lbs armored up.

aggression level: medium. not a big jumper but im workin on it. mostly i float the best i can and attack chunk at a medium speed. id say i tend to ride the rear axle but this bike may change that. not afraid of a short sprint between tech sections if its not too steep.

fork: '09 boxxer team, light spring if that makes any diff.

shock: 450 lb spring. and yeah, i have the resi mount.
    thanx folks!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    my new dhx resi shock is finally on the way so thats cool. while i decide if im gonna have it pushed or not, i need some advice on settings. you guys got me damn close when i asked the same thing for the old rfx so i thought id ask again knowin things will be diff on this frame.

rider weight: 165 lbs w/o gear. i figure ill add another 10 lbs armored up.

aggression level: medium. not a big jumper but im workin on it. mostly i float the best i can and attack chunk at a medium speed. id say i tend to ride the rear axle but this bike may change that. not afraid of a short sprint between tech sections if its not too steep.

fork: '09 boxxer team, light spring if that makes any diff.

shock: 450 lb spring. and yeah, i have the resi mount.
    thanx folks!

You WILL end up getting it Pushed. Darren would tell you to ride in stock form and play with the settings. Find out what you like and don't like about it and then send it to him. It will make the tune alot better if you can get a handle on it in stock form.

Good Luck. Look forward to seeing it.

P.S. Will be 50 deg plus tomorrow, I will try to get a few shots for you on my ride.
    Astigmatic Visionary

not sure if ive mentioned just how much i hate you lately. its 4 deg out right now which means everything that thawed this weekend is now frozen over to a fresh sheet of snowmobile chopped ice. we start over yet again.

yeah, i know. its just a matter of time till i cave and decorate this pig in little blue stickers. just seems silly to do the back and not the front. whens he gonna do mc dampers fer gawds sake? that would make this easy.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Now with flavor!!
    I weigh the same as you.

Minimum air pressure (75 or whatever it is) and the bottom out valve backed all the way out with zero propedal.

The bike works and works well without a bunch of shock fiddling to cover for it.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    what kid says, not allot of messing around. i'm 180 and run min boost pressure. my shock is an 08 so min is 125, older shocks it is 75, check yours. rebound is 7 clicks out and no bottom out. and maybe its just me but i have left the pro pedal closed, or off, and never have touched it.

Team Blindspot
    not sure if ive mentioned just how much i hate you lately. its 4 deg out right now which means everything that thawed this weekend is now frozen over to a fresh sheet of snowmobile chopped ice. we start over yet again.

yeah, i know. its just a matter of time till i cave and decorate this pig in little blue stickers. just seems silly to do the back and not the front. whens he gonna do mc dampers fer gawds sake? that would make this easy.

All I can say is I saw a Boxxer in his office last fall. Don't know what he was doing with it.

Don't hate me cuz I can ride in Feb. They got TV stations and bike shops here too. Isn't Candy one of those intraweb worker types???

P.S. The first Kiltlifter's on me.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Sov
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm about 140 without gear, running a 350lb spring on my 06. I started out running it with 90psi in the res, no pro pedal and the volume adjuster all the way out. It kinda felt like it was using more travel than necessary though, like it would blow through its compression travel (but rarely bottom) then need about 6-7 clicks of rebound damping to catch it on the way out. Almost too active... Tried a few clicks of Propedal but it didn't do much at that pressure.

It felt out of sync with the front too - Boxxers with LSC all the way on minus two clicks and rebound at its fastest setting.

So I've been increasing the pressure a bit and I'm up to 140psi with zero propedal. Feels more controlled, and I can run the rebound a little quicker.

I'm thinking about trying say 170-180psi and a 300lb spring, just to see what it would be like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Building up a new ride is good for the soul. In all seriousness, how far away is the nearest steep trail to give the DHR a good workout? And when's it going to open up? Or is it sufficient to just hammer like a sumb!tch on something that's fairly level but full of rocks and roots to get a good feel for your settings?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

thanx guys. just the kinda help i needed.

sw: its zero now and im thirsty. i wonder how quick i can pack.

xcg: theres 2 trail systems within 40 min of me. neither are steep enough for long enough to learn enough but there are sections on each that will help give me a baseline to tune from. yer idea of a big rock garden isnt bad and theres a few man mades in town. may be able to hit those a whole lot sooner than late march when the trails should open.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Outcast
    I prefer a pretty fast rebound when I'm bombing through flat, frozen corn fields but hey, that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Yay! Bikes !
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I prefer a pretty fast rebound when I'm bombing through flat, frozen corn fields but hey, that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
    oh no he [size=+1]didn't![/size]
    Nick.

Flyin Canine

hate him? It's 71 and sunny here in the bay area. Unfortunately to afford to live here I have been working 12 hour days so I guess it's a draw as to who has the suckier situation!!

by him i mean myself. i thought that was obvious.

i couldnt afford to live on the streets of san jose back in the 80's so i moved and im sure its no better now. the pay offs of that area are pretty nice though. yer lucky.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I weigh the same as you.

Minimum air pressure (75 or whatever it is) and the bottom out valve backed all the way out with zero propedal.

The bike works and works well without a bunch of shock fiddling to cover for it.

I would add that a 450 spring is way too heavy for your weight and (admitted) riding style. At close to 190, I ran a 400# spring for agressive DH and plenty of Jumping/drops to transition. Never felt a hard bottom. I could never get away with a light boxxer spring.

If I was going to straight HUCK...I might have gone up to a 450.

The progression in the DHR allow a lot of sag/traction without bottoming.

so what would you guys reccomend for steel spring weight? dt suggested a 450 for both my old rfx and the dhr, fox agreed so i thought i was golden for some wicked, flat, frozen corn field action (thanx renny). oh well. id say the riders know best. this might be all the excuse i need to go ti and i remember you all sayin that changed things. in that case, whats yer answer to the same question?

lots to learn yet and ya know im coil challenged.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Committed
    so what would you guys reccomend for steel spring weight? dt suggested a 450 for both my old rfx and the dhr, fox agreed so i thought i was golden for some wicked, flat, frozen corn field action (thanx renny). oh well. id say the riders know best. this might be all the excuse i need to go ti and i remember you all sayin that changed things. in that case, whats yer answer to the same question?

Your DHR is very progressive and thus won't bottom easily. I would run a 400 to start. This will give you a plusher feel off the top and still allow for some pedalability (is that a real word?). A 450 will not ride as smooth at lower speeds through the chunk. You might be able to go as low as a 350, but it will feel a bit soggy when you really start to pin it. I would advise against under springing the bike and trying to use the shock's compression adjustments (boost valve, ramping knob and propedal) to compensate. I have tried this and found I preferred the shock's performance when sprung properly and the compression adjustments set very lightly or backed off completely. This is for rough aggressive descending, of course.

Surfin' da mountain
    Dude,
    Its gonna be 75 here this weekend - ship yer Spot, catch a flight and we'll do some ridin'.

~~~~~~~~
    with the soft spring in front and a 450 rear it doesn't sound balanced. Try the 400 rear, maybe a 425, and remember that 10%+- factor for those steel coils. I think you'll end up on the medium spring for the boxxer, you're more likely to prefer a firmer front and softer rear than vice versa.

I think a DH racer based in Iowa is admirable and makes for a good story. You'll find that there will plenty of creative training exercises possible and we're all looking forward to you doing RAGBRAI on the DHR.

i wish! thanx.
    No, I'm NOT back!

im thinkin ill need the med spring once the boxxer breaks in. for now, its not even gettin 20% sag with the soft. the 500lb romic is givin 30% so i thought i was close but maybe you guys are usein more sag than that.

mtbr's dream: cactuscorn the media darling. dh'er mcdreamy perhaps? a dhr on the 9th most hilly rag would be a better story. ill pass. besides, i have another plan for that unless it conflicts with the dh calender.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    im thinkin ill need the med spring once the boxxer breaks in. for now, its not even gettin 20% sag with the soft. the 500lb romic is givin 30% so i thought i was close but maybe you guys are usein more sag than that.

mtbr's dream: cactuscorn the media darling. dh'er mcdreamy perhaps? a dhr on the 9th most hilly rag would be a better story. ill pass. besides, i have another plan for that unless it conflicts with the dh calender.
    How are you positioned on the bike when figuring sag?Do it standing,hands on the bars and body in the attack position.

Hisforever
    i prefer the opposite.
    softer front than the rear, that way your steering isnt jolted rather skimming while the rear stays more 'solid' if you will.

i'll even say i like the front just a click faster than the rear rebounderwise.

hows the 08' dhr compare to the corn field crushers 06'???

Maybe some tractor shuttling is in the works-- coming to a cornfield near you in 09'
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Odd..the RFX and DHR are vastly different ave leverage rates and thus would not have the same spring. IMO, Fox seems to overspring people as well as it is 'safe' for all parts included. I highly doubt they are up to speed on the laverage rate curves of all the bikes out there.

I have had good luck with the Tftuned spring calc http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area...alculator.html . Always been pretty good for a first estimate for me on several bikes. For a highly progressive design (DHR)..round/err lower. For a linear design (Sunday) round up.

1soulrider is spot on in his post, also DHRracer's post. 35% (even 40) sag would not be unheard of on the DHR. May not pedal the best that way, but common on progressive DH race bikes.

I am pretty sure I have a 350# steel DHX spring gathering dust here. If you want to try it, shoot me a PM, I could put it in the mail to you..

theres always 1 in the crowd. thanx again folks. the dhxc is in hand and im on my way down to the cave to check it out.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    have fun messing around with the new shock. waiting for the shuttle runs in the summer, at our DH spot near by. good thing Bromont is close. and i just booked my flight for whistler today. summer riding here i come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast