Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DHX-C vs DHX-A

Founder: Dirty3hirties

DHX-C vs DHX-A

I'm thinking of purchasing a Pack and I can't decide on what shock to use. I've talked to 2 dealers with varying opinions on which would be better suited for me. Initially, I was thinking coil (mostly because I have an air shock now so I wanted to try something different...plus added longevity and plushness). However, I was told that with my style of riding...or for more versatility, the Air would be better suited for that. I've read some positive stuff about the Air but I'm wondering after longer use of it, what your thoughts are.

Basically, I ride in Norcal. So if any members are Norcal riders and it helps, I do Demo/Skeggs/Joaquin/Mission peak mostly. The biggest drops/jumps that I'll do are in the 3-4 ft. range. I do Downieville pretty frequently and Northstar on occasion. But for the most part, I "trailride". I won't be hucking it...just doing some tight, rocky, rooty singletrack with 2-3 foot natural drops....logs, stuff like that. Since that's most of my riding, I'm wondering what shock would be better suited for me. I would need to be able to climb as well. Mostly rhythm types of climb...nothing really techie. maybe some roots, rocks but not huge step ups. Don't know if one shock would be better suited for my type of climbing. I'm 155 lbs (165 with camelback) if that has some bearing.

I'm not overly concerned with the weight of the shock (my ride is 30.8 lbs now anyways). I figure with either the Air or Coil, I'm looking at 32-34.

Thanks ahead of time.....

oly
    mtbr member
    I found the weight difference on my 2 DHX shocks was only .84 lbs. The DHX-C had a 550lb spring. So, depending on the one you would need, you may expect like 3/4 to 1 lb difference in overall weight.

Bodhisattva
    If, as you stated, weight is not a concern then DHX-coil.
    I'm 160 without gear and use the 550lb spring.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Outcast
    I have not ridden a dhx coil. I have the air version. I'm comparing it to a pushed vanilla rc.
    The air is very compliant in trail riding situations. In an e-mail I sent to Darren at push, regarding possibly revalving my rc, I told him, as an example, a big difference between my two shocks is that when I hit a log with my rear wheel with the rc, the shock gives very little, and the bike and I buck up in the air. With the dhx-a, the shock takes most of the hit, and the bike and I do not get bucked. And at the same shock settings I can handle 3 foot drops without bottoming.
    In all trail riding conditions, my dhx air shines. I recommend it, I can't recommend it OVER the coil version cause I haven't ridden it. Just as Squeak can't recommend the coil over the air as he hasn't ridden the air!

Outcast
    Allthough one pound of difference in weight doesn't sound like much, I thought the difference was HUGE in how that translates to the bike's handing.
    You might p.m. SSINGA; he has experience with BOTH shocks on his six pack. Tscheezy has as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Allthough one pound of difference in weight doesn't sound like much, I thought the difference was HUGE in how that translates to the bike's handing.
    You might p.m. SSINGA; he has experience with BOTH shocks on his six pack. Tscheezy has as well.
    I don't know if there is a "right" or "wrong" in this....just trying to see if there is a consensus either way. Being very general about it.....it seems that the Coil would be better for big hits whereas the Air would be more supple in the mid range....

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    .....it seems that the Coil would be better for big hits whereas the Air would be more supple in the mid range....
    that is a very safe conclusion to come to. You mentioned that most of your riding is trail riding, with the occasional "dh type stuff". I would characterize my riding as that as well. For me, the dhx air does this very well. It probably has a little more of a mid-range stroke than the dhx coil [ I'm assuming that] and it certainly has more midrange than my rc does.

Bodhisattva
    Just as Squeak can't recommend the coil over the air as he hasn't ridden the air!
    You sure about that ?

Bodhisattva
    As far as I know! You haven't posted your report. Have you done more than bolt one on for one ride that Darren had lying around? Try one for a week or three?
    You could have elaborated [I've used that word twice in two days!] more in your post as to why you'd recommend the coil over the air.
    The DHX air is a nice shock but it's not for me. Not enough mid-stroke support
    In all seriousness, it's very plush but a bit too on/off for my tastes and I prefer the coil feel under g-outs & hard cornering. No, I haven't tried it for several weeks.
    I think it's a good alternative to the DHX coil but not equivalent.

Also, my DHX coil is far from stock

And stop using big words like "elaborate." Me no understand.

Outcast
    [QUOTE=The Squeaky Wheel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Just as Squeak can't recommend the coil over the air as he hasn't ridden the air! :D[/QUOTE

You sure about that ?
    As far as I know! You haven't posted your report. Have you done more than bolt one on for one ride that Darren had lying around? Try one for a week or three?
    You could have elaborated [I've used that word twice in two days!] more in your post as to why you'd recommend the coil over the air.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    And stop using big words like "elaborate." Me no understand.
    Can you elaborate on your lack of understanding?
    Yea, Darren will never forgive himself for posting the "lack of mid-range support" statement. At least while I'm around.
    Hey, he was suppose to get back to me about turning my rc into a shock with no mid-range support!

Roy
    mtbr member
    I don't know if there is a "right" or "wrong" in this....just trying to see if there is a consensus either way. Being very general about it.....it seems that the Coil would be better for big hits whereas the Air would be more supple in the mid range....
    One other thing - Push will have a package available for the DHX-C but doubtful if they'll ever do one for the air. To me, the benefits of custom tuning would be the deciding factor as I'm a firm believer in Push's products.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    One other thing - Push will have a package available for the DHX-C but doubtful if they'll ever do one for the air. .
    Roy, why one and not the other?

sooooo would that mean it's been PUSH'd?
    Last edited by ddraewwg; 10-05-2005 at 01:28 PM.

One other thing - Push will have a package available for the DHX-C but doubtful if they'll ever do one for the air. To me, the benefits of custom tuning would be the deciding factor as I'm a firm believer in Push's products.

Good feedback....definitely should keep that in mind. Still a toughy though.

Outcast
    sooooo would that mean it's been PUSH'd?
    Squeak's dhx coil has been pushed, which is a service not yet available to the general public, only to self-acclaimed gear whoring brown-nosing papparazi. I say that with affection!

Bodhisattva
    Squeak's dhx coil has been pushed, which is a service not yet available to the general public, only to self-acclaimed gear whoring brown-nosing papparazi. I say that with affection!
    You're just jealous

Outcast
    You're just jealous
    Damn right I am. I just can't figure out what the push boys see in you!

Bodhisattva
    Damn right I am. I just can't figure out what the push boys see in you!
    I have a cute ass

Outcast
    I have a cute ass
    We'll be the judge of that!
    Here's a pic of squeak's butt. Cute isn't the word I'd use...

Outcast
    Squeak would know more about this - we'll just wait for him to elaborate further.
    We might be waiting a while; besides looking up the definition of the word, he's looking for an equally flattering photo to post in response to mine.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Roy, why one and not the other?
    I believe he's about to release the offering for the coil. The internals on the air are different from the other air shocks (ie. rp3) that he didn't think there was much he could do with them. Squeak would know more about this - we'll just wait for him to elaborate further.

Well he did give me the inside track on the PUSH mod for PIKE's. Squeak's bike is totally decked out with all the goodies. Must be nice living RIGHT NEXT TO PUSH!

I'm probably gonna sell my HH after I get the Pack....much like he did. But after looking at his ride and comparing it to mine.....mine was more like some tinker toy...almost embarrassed to sell mine after his!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    ...he didn't think there was much he could do with them...
    After my DHXa blew out, Darren took it apart and while scrunitizing the internals (I think it was the first DHXa he opened up) showed me a lot that can be done. So, whether he will choose not to support it is a different story, but there are things that can definatelly be done.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

not so super...
    Having ridden my Moment and my Pack with the DHX-C and now having the DHX-A I will go on record again saying that I prefer the DHX-A.

Maybe it's the lack of mid-range support that I like?? To me it is so very close to the DHX-C, I doubt most riders could tell the difference except for the 1lb weight loss (I had a 650 spring). I do 95% trail riding on mine with some drops and jumps thrown in for fun and ran a DH race with it also. It has functioned perfectly and has not left me wanting more, although a little mod from PUSH couldn't hurt.
    Nothing to see here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast