mtbr member

dhx air vs. rp23 on my spot

hi guys,

it's been a while since i did not post here
    i'm enjoying my spot full time.....
    no time to post!!!!!

since a few weeks i'm wondering if i should change my dhxr5 2007 for a rp23
    i mean i'm using my spot as an everyday trailbike and i love going fast downhill but in order to do so i have to seat on my bike and pedal long time going uphill
    i'd like to have the opportunity to use that smart little blue knob while riding in order to have a more versatile bike
    i feel like the dhxr is a more lightweight freeride / dh shock: you don't have that possibility to change settings while you're on the bike
    it's a big weakness for me, without mentioning the fact that the rp3 weighs less

what do you think about changing that dhxr for a rp23?
    what are the pros and the cons?
    some people say that the rp23 feels less smooth on small bumps, is that true?
    what about that rp23 going dowhill? is it still a good choice (spending soo much time going uphill i expect downhills to give me max fun...)
    any help would be really appreciated

sorry for that baaad english
    (hope next time bling will help me )

btw a little picture of that french ninja

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    That french ninja looks sweet.

I just wanted to share my experience with the RP23 (not on a spot though), on my bike (a 575) the RP23 feels great going downhill with PP in the off position, or even with propedal on. As you say the DHX offers a lot of tuning possibilities, but it is not an "on the fly" adjustment shock. The RP23 is easy to turn on-off... switching the propedal level does require you to stop, but doesn't take long... so for your the riding you describe, it could fit the bill...

I am sure people with more experience with both shocks will post..

Good luck..

Arf, he said.
    There is a thread in the Shocks forum discussing this. Darren from Push has some good input. Look here. DHX5.0 Air to RP23 or not?

I just ordered an RP23 for my 5-spot but I'm replacing a Romic coil, which will become my backup. Also, after speaking with DT, he recommended getting the high volume air canister, which is an option with Fox. When I get a few rides under my belt, I'll post my thoughts.

mtbr member
    thanks for the input guys

mtbdawgJeff:
    could you please tell me the advantages of the high volume air canister?

i've heard that high volume air canister make damping more linear
    don't know if that's true

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdawgJeff
    There is a thread in the Shocks forum discussing this. Darren from Push has some good input. Look here. DHX5.0 Air to RP23 or not?

I was up at Push a few weeks back and overheard Darren talking to Lee McCormick (leelikesbikes.com), that he can tune an RP23 to outperform a DHX Air.

Now having both, I can vouch for that statement. I rode the DHXa quite a bit before I got the Pushed RP23. I much prefer the RP23, much more active and plush, easier to set PP and then turn in on or off. I hated the massive amounts of setup the DHX a needed. Immprovement in mid-stroke (what you use most of the time) was noticeably better. I could really tell an improvement decsending a fast little stutter type rocky section.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    This is exactly what I wanted to know. I've been toying with the idea of going RP23 for a few weeks.

Sworks - are you talking about a PUSHed shock or a stock RP23?

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    This is exactly what I wanted to know. I've been toying with the idea of going RP23 for a few weeks.

Sworks - are you talking about a PUSHed shock or a stock RP23?
    Pushed RP23, of course!
    Astigmatic Visionary

Time is not a road.
    Even the stock RP23 is great. I really like mine. It replaced a DHX Coil, saved a pound and lost nothing in performance.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Even the stock RP23 is great. I really like mine. It replaced a DHX Coil, saved a pound and lost nothing in performance.
    Chad, did you ever have the rp3 on that bike?

I was going to push my crappy stock rp3, but I don't know if it is the answer.
    But then again, the extra 20+ oz of the dhx-c isn't that appetizing when looking up towers.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Chad, did you ever have the rp3 on that bike?

I was going to push my crappy stock rp3, but I don't know if it is the answer.
    But then again, the extra 20+ oz of the dhx-c isn't that appetizing when looking up towers.
    No, I wanted the 2.25 stroke shock and the RP3 didn't come in that size until they made the 23. The RP3 was a compromise in travel originally. I hadn't even considered a different shock until they made the 23 in the correct size. I figured I'd get along with the coil.

I think Push is your best bet unless you want the new shock. You could to sell the RP3. I'm also looking forward to trying the Roco air. A simple design might be best for the FSR/ICT type bikes. Plus they're cheap!
    Last edited by chad1433; 11-16-2006 at 07:08 AM.