Thread: DHX Air on DHR?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

DHX Air on DHR?

I searched - I promise I did...

Anybody know if Fox plans to release a remote version? A few guys on RM claim to have seen Factory teams running remote DHX Airs on their bikes but I've yet to see any pics or find any details.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles

Anybody know if Fox plans to release a remote version? A few guys on RM claim to have seen Factory teams running remote DHX Airs on their bikes but I've yet to see any pics or find any details.
    Im sure if you asked dirtworks they would make you a DHX air with remote res

Now with flavor!!

I don't know how "factory" the honda guys are but the ones I saw had coils at mammoth.

Turner just needs to make a bike that takes normal shocks.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just got a reply from the Oz Fox rep saying that there are no plans to manufacture remote-equipped DHX Airs. Doh!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    There was a pic of a remote DHX air in Dirrt Magazine, and I saw some Swissguys in BadWildBad use them and in Morzine/Les Gets too, they are sponsored by Fox, but they really do exist

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan
    they really do exist
    Time to start living on ebay.

I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm kind of surprised that the remote DHX air isn't on the books. If there's enough of a market to justify the remote DHX coil then surely enough people would want a DHX air. A pity more manufacturers aren't releasing remote shocks

Now with flavor!!
    . If there's enough of a market to justify the remote DHX coil then surely enough people would want a DHX air.
    I don't think there is a market outside of turner dhrs. The only other fit problem I know about is the iron horse sundays but they changed some things to take the standard piggy back dhx. I blame turner, not fox.

Outcast
    Pardon my suggestion, but since this shock is going onto a downhill frame, why not buy an avalanche shock? Is weight an issue? Why not buy the best dh shock available?
    http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.c...turnerDHR.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Actually the weight isn't the biggest concern, although I'd love to know the weight of the Avy shock with and without the spring

The Avy costs about $1000 in Oz dollars and doesn't have a service representative over here. While the Turner-spec remote DHX coil retails for $850, I can get one for $680ish through shop support. I had considered the cheaper and lighter monotube Avy but I'm not a fan of the "one-dial" damping adjustment that they have.

In all honesty I'm not really an SPV fan and would prefer a simple shock with seperate rebound and compression adjustment like my Romic or an old Vanilla RC but with spares and service availability. Damn living in Oz has it's drawbacks sometimes.

mtbr member
    Actually the weight isn't the biggest concern, although I'd love to know the weight of the Avy shock with and without the spring

The Avy costs about $1000 in Oz dollars and doesn't have a service representative over here. While the Turner-spec remote DHX coil retails for $850, I can get one for $680ish through shop support. I had considered the cheaper and lighter monotube Avy but I'm not a fan of the "one-dial" damping adjustment that they have.

In all honesty I'm not really an SPV fan and would prefer a simple shock with seperate rebound and compression adjustment like my Romic or an old Vanilla RC but with spares and service availability. Damn living in Oz has it's drawbacks sometimes.
    Interesting to note that the avy is not that much heavier then a swinger, which is lighter then a fifth to begin with. These are taken from farkin, all weighed on the same scale at the same time.

Shock Weights: 9.5/3'

Swinger 4 way Ti Spring (Progressive) 400lb : 855g/ 1.875lb
    Swinger 6 way Remote Ti (Progressive) 400lb: 905g/ 1.99lb

Avy Chubie Ti Spring (RCS)450lb: 945g/ 2.085lb
    Avy DHS Remote Ti (RCS)450lb: 1075g/ 2.37lb

RCS Ti Spring 450lb: 350g/ .76lb
    Progressive Ti 3' 400lb: 360g/ .8lb
    FOX Steel 3.25' 400lb: 585g/ 1.29lb
    Progressive Steel 3' 450lb: 595g/ 1.32lb
    Manitou Steel 3' 450lb: 610g/ 1.35lb

So, the avy without a spring, remote res, 9.5 x 3 inch stroke is 725grams, add approx 350grams for the ti spring and approx 600grams for the steel.

A DHX air is 450grams, but is doesn't say what size it is. And a normal DHX is 400grams without a spring, but again, doesn't say what size. You could assume that it would be the smallest size they weighed.

-Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    interesting. I weighed my Romic and a mate's remote DHX with and with out springs.

Romic body - 430g inc. PacMan
    DHX body - 520g inc. PacMan

Romic with 450lb Romic spring - 1015
    DHX with 450lb Fox spring - 1150

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Why not buy the best dh shock available?
    ]
    I did

My mounting looks better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Smartass.... That looks ace. Is that Push-modified or a one-off custom?

Now with flavor!!
    Smartass.... That looks ace. Is that Push-modified or a one-off custom?

It's a vaniller DH. They made a few for kona and a few for intense and there are some team issue ones floating around. It rules.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    so it would be fair to say they're as rare as rocking horse sh!t? Ah well. I wonder if Marz is making the Roco in a remote version. Damn non-piggyback compatible frame...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I did

My mounting looks better.
    Actually, i think my res location is better, less pain on the nut sack yo!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cave dweller
    Mine won't fit in that space unfortunately.

It's amazing how much you don't hit your seat tower with your nuts.....what with the nose of a saddle being right there and all.

Now with flavor!!
    so it would be fair to say they're as rare as rocking horse sh!t? Ah well. I wonder if Marz is making the Roco in a remote version. Damn non-piggyback compatible frame...
    There are some around. The one in that picture I found on ebay. I got another one from the manager of the KHS team. He wanted to use it but because of the team deal with fox, he had to have everyone on DHX shocks. I personally like these shocks better for full DH application.

If you really want one, just keep an eye out. Most folks seem to want the dhxs more anyway. I've already had one of mine rebuilt by fox, so they still work on them.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cave dweller

I like how you attached that spigot to the base of the shock. That's gotta make oil changes a snap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Don't you hate those people who just can't buy a DHX like everyone else?

Marz Roco - no plans for a remote version
    Cane Creek Double Barrel - no plans for a remote version.

If this keeps us I'm going to be forced to conform...

mtbr member
    Mine won't fit in that space unfortunately.

Mine didn't either, had to file down the hose guides a little bit

It's amazing how much you don't hit your seat tower with your nuts.....what with the nose of a saddle being right there and all.
    True, but it was one experiment i wasn't willing to try

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    I like how you attached that spigot to the base of the shock. That's gotta make oil changes a snap.
    Well, i used to run a romic on there, and i liked the way it would leak oil then blow up, so i decided to install a valve that i can open up and let all the oil drain out, just so it peforms like a romic

If this keeps us I'm going to be forced to conform...
    Any shock can be made remote res. 1 hack saw, 1 length of hose and 1 thread tapper is all that is required

Maybe pic yourself up a second hand fox rc and ask bear to make it remote res. I know that he can do CNC work, and it would be as light as your romic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Good idea. I've emailed Bear and asked if he can mod a DHX air for me but he said no. No fun at all that guy. Didn't ask about an RC.