parts leftover

DHR suspension design

I'm sure there's a good explanation, but why did DT design the DHR as a single pivot vs. the four bar/TNT linkages of the other bikes? Obviously the DHR reviews are glowing and it's an incredible frame, but I'm still interested in knowing the reasoning behind it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's a linkage controlled single pivot, just like ALL of the turner frames are. It "looks" different, but esentially it's the same thing as the rfx, 5-spot, etc in that sense. Those are all single pivot linkage controlled frames. As to why the DHR has a bigger-one peice swingarm (instead of the seatstay-design with the other bikes) that is probably due to it being a DH bike and needing a beefy and strong interface between the bottom bracket and the rear axle, as well as it keeps the mass pretty low on the bike instead of having a higher center of gravity. It also allows for the slack angles and standover height necessary. You just can't keep building an RFX-style bike bigger and bigger, because it's difficult to fit a long shock in there and have somewhat decent standover height.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    A lot of it came down to DT disliking the look of super long upper links (ala Ellsworth Dare/Rogue). Not to mention a lot of the other points that Jayem mentioned. A friend of mine had a couple of Dares and you were really limited as to how low you could run the seat without the seatstay smacking into it. You may notice that when everyone else is going for sub 14" BB heights on 8"+ travel DH bikes the Rogue still has a 14.75" BB height. I'd bet that is due to clearance issues.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's