Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trail fairy

DHR owners question ?

Hey guy's question for you DHR owners!

I'm aware of some of the issues of the link and wear which produces slopw or movement, on my shake and bake ride I felt a bit of movement when lifting the bike in stationary mode, e.g from the seatpost mainly over the fence and onto the bike rack, I had checked all bolts pre ride though not with a torque wrench just went over everything with my allen keys to check for nipped upness

So as I finished my ride I noticed it more as I had been checking and recheck throughout the ride and setting up dialing I got out the spanner and 5mm allen and went over the pivots bolts until tight as, and as picture the 5mm bolt was tight but not enough to prevent the movement, so I tighened her up as much as I could without over doing it and no movement, just worries me that it takes this to make or remove this movement, is this normal or something to watch.

cheers in advance

Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Normally that's a sign the bearing in the dogbone link has gone, though obviously as the bike is brand new that can't be the case. The bolt needs to be tight enough that the steel axle is held in place. My advice would be to keep it tight and keep an eye on it. Maybe the shaft is slightly shorter than spec or something, but so long as it doesn't move, you should be good.

mtbr member
    Nice new bike, TA! Can't wait to see some action shots.

i always thought that I had play in exactly the area you highlighted, but in reality it was the bolt at the front of the shock that kept coming loose. Some blue locktite and i haven't had any issues since. I've been pounding the new bearings for a couple weeks and no slop at all, anywhere.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Is that one of the GoRide silver and black DHR's? Let's see some more pictures of that beauty!

It's great to hear that you are well enough to get on the DHR! That's really great progress.

I have no experience with the DHR but on the Intense M3, when I feel some slop pulling up on the seat it's one of the shock DU bushings that needs to be replaced. That's probably unlikely in your case as it looks like a brand new bike.

mtbr member
    TA, I'm not sure how old your DHR is, but obviously it's from the 2009 Go-ride.com batch of DHRs. If you have a few miles on it I'd guess the shock eye bushing has worn out. It's a high wear item, but very cheap an easy to replace. Once the bushing is worn it doesn't matter how tight you make the bolts. This is the item you need if you want a long term fix: RWC Eylet Needle Bearing.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Large member
    TA! New steed! Full shots please....

trail fairy
    big-ted Normally that's a sign the bearing in the dogbone link has gone, though obviously as the bike is brand new that can't be the case. The bolt needs to be tight enough that the steel axle is held in place. My advice would be to keep it tight and keep an eye on it. Maybe the shaft is slightly shorter than spec or something, but so long as it doesn't move, you should be good.
    Yep bike is new, first proper ride, will follow that BT thanks buddy.

2w4s Nice new bike, TA! Can't wait to see some action shots.

i always thought that I had play in exactly the area you highlighted, but in reality it was the bolt at the front of the shock that kept coming loose. Some blue locktite and i haven't had any issues since. I've been pounding the new bearings for a couple weeks and no slop at all, anywhere.
    thanx 2wd am stoked to have my dream DH rig, didn't want to miss out on this model, had to give up a lot to get it but worth it [rip 06 RFX u have a good home] ah some loctite might be a good thing cheers did not think of that, will see if it loosens, as this was not the case on this ride, but good idea for sure.

The play was there and the bolt was same torque bfore and after I tightened, but the movement was significant when I pulled on the seatpost after it sagged in static mode I could see the bolt and bush move in the link at that spot all others are sweet. DU's tight as.

must get blue loctite

nybike1971 Is that one of the GoRide silver and black DHR's? Let's see some more pictures of that beauty!

It's great to hear that you are well enough to get on the DHR! That's really great progress.

I have no experience with the DHR but on the Intense M3, when I feel some slop pulling up on the seat it's one of the shock DU bushings that needs to be replaced. That's probably unlikely in your case as it looks like a brand new bike.
    Yup a go-ride silver special, they were great to deal with, as usual I was a pain as I'm never patient when monies down, timming wasn't best and of course being so used to the service industry I'm probably harder on te service industry than most cause I been there done that lol

So thanx guys for putting up with me was stoked not to have missed out, Ive had it for awhile but have been concentrating as much as possible on trying to get ahead physically in last few months, not bee easy and has cost me some fitness I was just gaining but hopefully can push through. bike stoke helps lol, yeah def not worn DUs I could visiby see the movement in that link and not in others, trust me I gave her the going over for months pre ride and before hitting the trail then on the trail, my shake down rides are done alone as no one would enjoy my stop starting, checking, adjusting, tunning, retunning and start that process all over again.

I even went back to the car once and did that all over again, by the time I got home I couldn't move and my head was ringing I'm still in pain but it was worth it, while ripping down a few trails I felt nothing but the wind sweat and flow [my poor flow at mo more out of control I bet lol] I got my pump on and popping all ver the trail but no near misses which was very pleasing, how's your new steed working out, love that look ya did well on that beast, next and future project for sure, get my 5onchs sorted out

Scott@GO-RIDE.com TA, I'm not sure how old your DHR is, but obviously it's from the 2009 Go-ride.com batch of DHRs. If you have a few miles on it I'd guess the shock eye bushing has worn out. It's a high wear item, but very cheap an easy to replace. Once the bushing is worn it doesn't matter how tight you make the bolts. This is the item you need if you want a long term fix: RWC Eylet Needle Bearing.
    First ride I got it back in Nov but have been building up slowly and more focus on body repair recently had a bit of a setback with treatment to go forward so been in a bit more pain lately so had to step away for a bit.

Will keep an eye on tat and def go to the link for bits, want to build up a few spares anyway so a good idea.
    Cheers Scott and all ya help with getting me this steed, also appreciate the Decline mag ya sent my way don't get that here so that was awesome, Decline and Dirt are my favs, must sub to Decline sometime.

Cheers

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    TA! New steed! Full shots please....
    Haha was trying to go stealth

a couple here

Some picc's here, I have a few from my ride the other day but no action, didn't have time to play around with timers as was on my own, will post up a ride shake down report sometime with more picc's for ya, have some great nature shots of ferns and fantails and Maxxis and some portrait DHR shotz

chur..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Large member
    No stealth allowed for you

Great ride, are you doing it justice? Head still attached to shoulders?

mtbr member
    TA,

Now that I know you have a new bike I did some more checking here at the shop. I checked our complete floor demo and it has no play. I also checked 1 year old team time (ridden very hard, even at a couple WC races) and it also has not play. There is a slight bit of movement in the rear, but I can see the shock compressing as the bike moves under a slight load. That shock has a custom Go-ride.com tune, so it is more sensitive than stock DHX5.

So, I'm hoping the other poster was right and the play is a loose front shock bolt. I've made that mistake myself as I did a lot of custom shock testing with the DHR last season. I'd be in a hurry to swap shocks and forget to "really" tighten the front shock bolt.

Let us know what you find.

Scott
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    No stealth allowed for you

Great ride, are you doing it justice? Head still attached to shoulders?
    Hardly lol

Nah not had enough time on it yet, I still need way more flexibility as well which is why the tight tech stuff is better for me than the fast open stuff, which I still have issues seeing far enough at warp speed, some of the trail I ride totally on feel and memory cause I can't see far enough down the trail at speed because I just can't get my neck back or chin up high enough which was natural before so am sticking to where I'm very familiar with at mo, I have no problems with my Helmet not touching the back of my neck brace I can't get my head there , though my helmet is a good fit with my brace so wouldn't be an issue anyway and the neck brace allows me some rest time cause my neck is still weak

As I can load em I will post em, I'm on the string/straw speed BW www

Here's a nice steep section probably looks flat in picc's but its a nice down hill drop run land about the second tree down from the ramp nice and rough and a good left hander at the bottom 90 deg then it goes flat arghh

I have a few good trails in here, { some I showed Blue mango around a month or so back] and its a good test of suspension and setup and very rooty choppy, nice stumps and big roots to boost off, some good corners for drifting, just got to work on keeping my speed up for sections I can't see..hehe

Full pic of the downhill from above.

1:03 one of my fav a wee warm up I see and I made up this sign as it seemed so appropriate it's techy tight short and challenging and all down

Wouldn't be a ta thread without Maxxis
    Last edited by trailadvent; 03-08-2010 at 11:44 AM.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

trail fairy
    Scott will do, will keep an eye on it next ride out and see what transpires, thanx for checking it out, may have just misinterpreted the torque speccs of what seemed tight, my torque wrench being an T handle lol, I only used an socket on the head after I found the movement, cheers

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Now with flavor!!
    Tracking down play on those links is a science in itself. I've actually broken one of the stainless bolts from over tightening trying to snug up a link. About two years ago, I went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of black hardened steel bolts and a bunch of lock washers. I'd definitely recommend doing that to anyone who owns an 03 or later dhr.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    i would figure out which bushing it is. may take a few rides and moving of suspension on//off bike. get some new bushing(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

Moosehead
    Nice TA, that is one helluva burly Sultan!

trail fairy
    Cheers Moosey, go big or go home doesn't apply to wheel size

Cheers for suggestions guys but I have isolated the play I mentioned above it was very obvious in the link pivot where the red arrows are pointing.

The bolt in this location was tight, not loose, with an Allen key only I could not get it any tighter, but with a socket on the nut side and Allen on the drive side I could get another half a turn tighter this took the play out of it and now there is no movement in the link or shock or anywhere.

My concern was that this seemed to me to be strange to have to tighten to this degree to take that amount of movement out of that pivot point, maybe its normal I dunno.

Will see how it goes over next few rides and see if it loosens or plays up [pun]

KW I here ya that worried me re over tightening

cheers.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Now with flavor!!
    Just a little quick word of advice: Next time you've got wrenches in hand around your bike, loosen all those links. Put the bike ON THE GROUND so that there's weight on the links and they're sitting in the "bottom out" position. Then tighten them. This leaves no space for them to wander into when you start beating on them on the trail. Tightening them in a bike stand with the links in an extended postion from the wieght of the rear end does just the opposite, so I try to avoid it. Also a good idea to do with your shock mount bolts on both ends.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

trail fairy
    Fantastic Woo, that's exactly what I was looking for, I will do that today, this morning actually lol

Cheers oldschool, tried to keep it pretty plain but hard to do with such a mean rig

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Shock Hardware

I rode an 08 DHR from early 08 to near the end of summer 09. When I first got the frame I was blowing through DU bushings nearly every other ride using the stock aluminum reducers. I switched to Stainless pin and sleeve system and my DU bushings started lasting months instead of hours. Huge difference, and it's a lot easier on your shock to not have to push in and push out all those DU bushings. I think I used the Marzocchi ones.... 6.00 x 22.00?

Also, I routinely had issues with the bearings in the dog-link getting haggard. This only stopped after I sacked up and bought a tub of the Dumonde-Tech grease and fully flushed my bearings after every single muddy ride (as opposed to the 'every few' I was recommended). This time bearing life went from weeks to the last year I owned the frame. Huge improvement.

I'm on a 951 now with the fancy RC4 and a brand new build, but I still find myself missing my 08 DHR. That was definitely my favorite DH bike I've ever ridden, let alone owned.

~~~~~~~~
    right on TA, what a way to get back into it!

I've definately spent lots of time chasing that same bit of play around, but not when the bike was new...

KW's advice sounds good, let us know if that does it.

Pat H sounds like me, the stock bushings and reducers just don't cut it, try the marz's, the rock shock ones, the new bearing type, did you shoot Turner an email and ask them? I also find that grease is key, good thick stuff, fill them often.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat H
    Shock Hardware

I rode an 08 DHR from early 08 to near the end of summer 09. When I first got the frame I was blowing through DU bushings nearly every other ride using the stock aluminum reducers. I switched to Stainless pin and sleeve system and my DU bushings started lasting months instead of hours. Huge difference, and it's a lot easier on your shock to not have to push in and push out all those DU bushings. I think I used the Marzocchi ones.... 6.00 x 22.00?

Also, I routinely had issues with the bearings in the dog-link getting haggard. This only stopped after I sacked up and bought a tub of the Dumonde-Tech grease and fully flushed my bearings after every single muddy ride (as opposed to the 'every few' I was recommended). This time bearing life went from weeks to the last year I owned the frame. Huge improvement.

I'm on a 951 now with the fancy RC4 and a brand new build, but I still find myself missing my 08 DHR. That was definitely my favorite DH bike I've ever ridden, let alone owned.
    More great advice there Pat cheers, I hear ya on the grease DUs and Stainless pin and sleeve, will do that, what do you guy's think of the enduro needle bearing kit the boys are starting to run on there 5spots?

I just need to find where to get them bolts and the grease, should be able to get marz here from LBS or RS in stainless.

After todays test I got 3 trails in was knackered testing runs on the first, but could not stop, no matter what had to keep going to dropped, nothing is loose and no movement, so hopefully for now its sorted, it was pretty dusty so I will pull it down, flush everything an d pack the grease in there!

Great info guys thanx heaps, I here ya Pat on the bike sometimes the grass is not greener, I am very impressed to date how this thing rips, will give some thoughts later in thread.

I took Woo's advice and followed his steps of loosening everything off and while static on the ground I re tightened everything and went riding

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    right on TA, what a way to get back into it!

I've definately spent lots of time chasing that same bit of play around, but not when the bike was new...

KW's advice sounds good, let us know if that does it.

Pat H sounds like me, the stock bushings and reducers just don't cut it, try the marz's, the rock shock ones, the new bearing type, did you shoot Turner an email and ask them? I also find that grease is key, good thick stuff, fill them often.
    Thanx AW, yeah I hear ya I will follow the advice of you guys and clean it down after yesterdays big ride and pack it up with grease, loctite and tighten the Woo way

I have not emailed DT or Greg I didn't know if it was an issue and these ideas have nailed it for me, I was aware there was minor issues with the DUs etc but that didn't stop me I knew I could overcome that with some help and creative thinking the bike is just to goo to let that hold me back,. and having 2 previous Turners I know how to look after em well and what to maintain, regular or pre ride maintenance is no issue for me on a DH bike, I sort of see it as part of the scene, my moto days I always spent time prepping for races rides, and then cleaning prepping, the cycle never stops, so sort of in my element really.

Need to get some thick grease now.

Cheers all, now I need to write a shake down ride thoughts, I am loving the bike it's pretty special frame performance wise

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

~~~~~~~~
    TA, I use a dualco grease gun that I can fill with any grease as opposed to the turner one that you have to screw a tube of grease onto.
    like this one.
    http://branfordbike.com/product/le-t...se-gun-441.htm

trail fairy
    Cheers AW will look at one of those, appreciate all the repsonses and efforts of info guys AWESOME.

Thanx must go to Go-Ride too for hooking me up with the last one of the DHRs, awesome guys.

The shake down and also a good ride following, first the shakedown in one of my fav locations, full of roots, rocks jumps drops a bit of pedling required but good for me rebuilding a real nice place to play on a DH bike, but really a place for AM bikes but suits anything from a DH to SS.

I ride only in a Full Face, and my Leat brace is no so natural I never know I have it on during the ride, with my Helemt I have no restriction for or aft, my neck is still an issue for looking far down the trail so I'm better on tight stuff, too fasdt and open I can't look far enough to read the terrain so wroking on that.

So a good place to setup suspension and get a feel for the bike.
    Feels great in the cockpit [I would prefer a slightly longer fit somehting in between the large and med, but I'm a funny fit on all Turners, only the dwl Spot in large is now suitable for me in that range of current bikes, same with the RFXs I fit better on the 06 med than 07/08 which geo changes in med but large is too big.

Still I'm not cramped and feels right in the important situations I'll come too. It will take me a bit of time to fing my feet re pos while riding in different situations because Ive been out so long and just have to work with my physical limitations at the mo.

Handling.
    The bike feels really poppy, flickable, light, and can turn on a dime, yet its stable, Ive had a bit of time to test this, yesterday I rode 4 different tracks all very different and different types of ground conditions, so it helped getting the fork and shock dialed to where I felt confident on how they would react to any jump, root rock downs etc, so stability got tested, cornering got tested and its super quick and has caught me a few times.

So will need to get the body a bit more fwd its not the bike its me, just lack of flexibility and time riding that its easy to get stuck in one position, shes a cornering dream and I got some drift on and really sprayed some dusty corners below slamming into the berms foot out moto style it was heaps of fun, this bike will suit me well as thats my fav thing to do.

Jumping

I shouldn't probably be getting too much air time, but I can't help myself and any bike would I would have temptations this just makes it comfortable and also safe, I'm not going big, but for some it would be tricky most of the stuff Ive done to date has a litle teh and needs momentum and committment other wise a wheel tap and gap might claim you.

I played last Sunday to dial in wheels etc and keep the air time to a minimm but a couple fo good drops to downhill runs low but long was super smooth safe and the DHR is very balanced and confidence inspiring this bike has been dialed by jumpers who ride fast for sure its very natural and neutral so far, being centered for me to date is key, get to far back on take off a common mistake by many on FS and the shock is going to spring back on you throwing out your balance and pitch you or you compensate by pulling up on the bars and wheelie landing, so staying centered or fwds is good, even got a we whip on.

I did flick the back wheel out and low and behold she is easy to change direction or go bigger than you think. Maybe its the weight balance or the lightness of the DHR but the back went out further than I intended so easily but the landing was stil smooth, so I think this bike is perfect for learning to get my scrub on in future, and more whipping.

Suspension
    Yesterday I got out some more, the first big ride is always super strong ya feel like Superman and nothing can stop ya the adrenaline flows its the back up ride that tells me alot, I was feeling tired and weak so it took me quite a few runs to loosen up but physically I was not strong for me and struggled a bit, we walked up to the trig track, lots of stter bumps and tables and low profile berms to bost offa, took me about 5 runs to find my feet, dial in my fork and shock some more, shock rebound only, settled on 4 clicks off slowest, keeps her from packing but not too fast, still poppy and boostable but slow how I like it, it may not be and outstanding shock, but seems to suit the bike well so my intial thoughts feel anyways and thats reveiweing from today, the fork needs/ed much more setup time and I think I will be fine tunning it more some yet. though by the end of the day I had it to where I was confident it tracked, ad could handle anything I rode.

So once I got my blood moving, we got in some tables, I nailed the top drop on hand job a trail I did some work on, I by passed the rode gap but did all the jumps and drops I made and my corner drop and whipped it before the road gap before taking the nanny line, and then took my flow to the bottom, being a 3-4min trakc I found a run top to bottom tough as there is a couple of uphill stages, I was knackered, the bike was a dream down that track though, and I actually rode up some of it on the way to the top so if you have the legs it can pedal.

Pedaling
    The DHR really does peal well, it may not feel like it initally when you sit on her and it sags into her settings, but coming ot of corners XCing or ripping downhill on the gas she flies, that really impressed me how much better than some others Ive ridden and tested in the past, I pedalled up and along quite all 4 of these trails, its no effort on the flats, just fitness strength really the faster ya want to go, I look at it for a 3-4mintute track, I need to train hard for 300-400 hours of quality training dedicated to that track, not goofing off training, gym, riding, swimming walking and riding, for me training is riding but quality, thi bike and I wil ride our selves back into shape, I think too many atheletes these days spend too much time in the gym and don't do quality training in ther disipline, whole nother discussion lol.

Control
    This bike can wheelie and manual like no other, yet the front stays true and down and stable when hauling down rutted rooty trail, love this factor about her, I can without thought and instantly pop the front wheel up and manual through dips whateve no problems its a manualing kings wet dream. My Stab whil not too hard was way harder than this bike I had to use correct technique and effort and timming the DHR can do it when needed or when you want with minimal thought, its done and ya off.
    Plus it just pumps off stuff, if you are familar with the toe and heal technuique then you'll find this bike sreacms air off anything but on landing pumps off with acceleration, another cool thing about it.

So overall the DHR for me is like an F16 on steriods, comparing it to my WC stab a great bike and I loved riding it and its better than many will give it credit for especially when its steep and open and real fast terrain, but the DHR walks all over it in the main for what I'll be using it for here.

The DHR is the F16 my Stab was more like an F4 Phantom.

Conclusion, you could plow with this bike but to me its not what it likes to do, it likes to ride fast but as I call it poppy, its a gunfighter or fighter pilots dream, nothing feels lacking but the pilot if yo can't get on wel with this bike then a downhill bike is not for you, anyone could get along with the DHR its not hard to ride and feels comfortable imeadiatly, but seems like it has limitless ability, so as you go better so say jump and the DHR say how fast and how high, can you handle it, I know I'm gonna love trying to catch up with her.

After yesterdays ride and feeling pooped on the first track, I never thought I get 3 more tracks in thats 6hers I was in the forest, most of it walking up the tracks with Maxxis, so was not ride hard or anything, I'm paying for it today, some Chiro relief in an hour or so will be good. But the fact I survived and actually kept going and cleared every jump [ mostly smal gappers 2-3x I'd say but ya don;t want to come up short, last track of the day, rode it blind as I walked up the Pattersons by mistake which was cool, but to have the confidence [I know the track, just hadn't ridden it like this since pre injury days] and last ride on the RFX here nearly broke me I was so gutted that I could barley make it down a few months back, so to hit everything and nail it being so knackered says alot about the handling the bike and suspension and competance of the package to me and thank gawd for flat coke my elctrolyte replacement lol

Maxxis was pooped to bits its like 27 28 deg celius and dry as a bone he is totaly wacked today, so I think some nanna naps today are on the agenda.
    To say I'm happpy about the bike is an understatement, Ive nearly got it locked down so I can just go ride, I lost my headset lock nut the other day, I do sily things now, result of head injury I'm easily distracted, if not focused in the moment which is why I often feel better being on my own, when around others the tap is on full bore which it always is, I struggle to control it now, so if lft to my own devices I get things on track otherwise if distracted I'm off with my seat not nipped up, bars slipping Helmet still in the car.

DWL DHR
    The next gen DHR is gonna be something else for sure, but I still see this bike performing well, and as any other, in our Nats there's more of them in the top 10 than any other, inclu some of the older square tube version’s still rocking hard and getting top results.
    Maybe one day I can have this puppy sitting along side a DWL version as well, don't think I will let this one go, just so much fun and that's just my shake and bake ride, can’t wait for more.

Highlights apart from the frame and shock!
    So far nothing is dusted until time proven so only initial thoughts, but most is tried and true for me!

Fork - Sram RS Boxxer Team V2 - love it, definitely a great choice for ME, so far, sitff tracks well, still getting it dialed in and will be a work in progress as I get up to speed, but shes running sweet.

Cranks - RF Atlas FR 165mm - These went together great for me, but then I'm very familiar with RF cranks and I'm a fan even though many here are not, I only had high end RF stuff and not one has let me down ever [had Diablous, Deus, Atlas AMs] these felt great just better again and what I expected, stiff strong felt as bullet proof as the Diablous but not the boat anchors that they tended to feel like.

I’ve never had an issue with RF pedal threads either, so I expect these will perform well over the long term, the length is perfect for the DHR and I wouldn't want anything longer as it was I nipped a couple of trail feature’s but prob more me than lenght etc but it did not stop me or hinder me or affect pedalling ability, just felt perfect for me and my setup. I had no issues with spacing either.

Highly rec to competent home mechanics, hackers need not apply the spindle interface will get you lol.

Wheels - Hadley 72 pt 150x12r / 20mm fr on Sun Equaliser Rims 31mm width DT Spokes straight gauge brass nipples. The wheels feel awesome light but not flighty or for me like DT 5.1s on a DH bike, these while not being much heavier 545grams per rim have a great profile, bit wider than a 5.1 28mmvs 31mm, but smaller than an MTX or 823, they look stunning under stated but stiff and hopefully strong, spokes std for me, and Hadley hubs well what can ya say that's not been said Hadley enough said, other than this is the first time I’ve run 72pt on a DH bike and its nice to have back that instant engagement and solid yet light feel, I'm going to really dig this wheel set I think, early days so won't rec rims until have some time on them and see how they hold up, but performance wise this is a fast wheel set for sure. I had to check what tires I was riding cause I couldn’t believe how quick they felt.

Pedals - Burtec - These are big by some stds now with all the low profile stuff out but because I'm a big boy and lay down big watts to the cranks, I like a platform that I feel staunch on and these babies do it for me, just rocks and will take rock abuse too, love em a mans mans pedal.

Brakes - Avid Exilir Rs -This is a functional build so I agonised over brakes, I wanted performance without bling, brakes here in DH get a hammering so I wanted a brake that was easily serviceable easily supported anywhere in the country and I could get parts at a moments notice or borrow off someone, sure they’re are other brakes out they’re but not with all these attributes, between the MCRs CRs and Rs its all bling factor, reach adjust doesn’t bother me on the fly, just another feature "I" don't need so for half the cost ya get the same performing brake with out all the fanfare, and got to say so far impressed, they were quite, silent and had great feel and power right off and only got better, 1 finger front wheelies while seated no problemo, good choice awards this one. I run a 203f and 180r all ya need.

Chain guide – MRP G2 – I have no preference of chain guide over any other brand the e13s are tops as is gamut etc, this just fitted my look I was after under stated I like how the taco is part of the guide itself and others here have had a great run with there’s, its super easy to setup runs really smooth, no drag, the only gripe I have is the 3mm Allen bolts which the heads are weak so be careful as they are easy to round off, bit disappointing on a high end product, but minor for me the rest is tops so am stoked to be running it, the weight diff between competition is not a factor to me, feel some make too much of an issue over a few grams.

Conclusions!
    My build is not to be super light but super reliable and functional which means self serviceable which extends life of a good product even if it is a little more expensive initially. But a few who have picked it up and given her a parking lot test have been impressed with the feel of the bike and commented it was light and felt light, but for me she also feels strong.

So overall am stoked with my whip and she’s everything and more than I expected so am looking fwd to establishing my relationship for the long term with this filly, I looked at a number of other filly’s as ya do ya look but don’t touch!

But in the end there can be only one, number 1.

I think it was just meant to be lol.

Some picc's of yesterdays rippa

Tried to get some action shots could not run back up tot bike and get back in 30secs even with a 5 shot phase, I think I have one piss porr sequence lol..

First zone Handjob track and Trig picc's only show some of hand job!

Start of the ride about 3/4 way up hand job got the PnS out maxxis already hot she was a steaming sweaty day

More of the DHR

trying to get my move on, hard when ya running back to get the bike and make it for the timer not much time for style and the camera missed my wee drop attempt

Onto pattersons and Stoka another area of Riverhead tyime to get out of the sun and into the shade.

Sick of POWDER

Try some Kiwi POWDER currently soft and dry

Maxxis action shot

Some views of Pattersons trail bike in picc for scale and hopefully show some decline

Bike is no longer clean, cherry popped well and truly now!

And lastly of stoka missed the action pic but nailed this last gapper, actually nailed the whole track so was stoked on stoka!

Woot woot Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

cheers for reading lol
    Last edited by trailadvent; 03-11-2010 at 03:09 PM.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

trail fairy
    So guy's I took all you're advice today I removed the stout link off the DHR and disconnected the rear end of the shock had to to remove stout link.

And cleaned then flush the old grease out, even after a couple of rides it was good to do this as the grease old stuff was quite mosituress and dirty in parts, so its now flush I do love the Turner bushing and needle bearing system, watching the purge is quite good fun and ya know straight away the good stuff is in there because ya see it replace the old as it pushs the crap out, I flushed the main pivot as well, did not need to remove that part, nice!

I going ot order one of those Le tour /Dulco guns does the grease come with it or is it seperate ? is the Le tour white grease what is picutred with the grease gun on your link? thanx AW.

So again following Woos way, I reconnected her back up but only slightly nipped then with wheels back on and bike sitting on ground nipped everything back up tight, first maintenance day done.

I like to remove the link, this way it gives me good way to see whats what and its easier to purge the old grease imo and cleaner too!

Am loving this, tis good to be back and playing again with my Turner

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member

awesome pics, ta! you must be so stoked to be back on the bike, and that track looks ripping. Already breaking down the bike and purging the grease, how many tubes of grease do you use a year, lol

what did you use for the fender?
    nothing witty here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast