mtbr member

DHR / Dorado Headset Setup

So I've got a medium 2012 DHR frame and I have a current model Dorado fork on order. I remember that the Fox 40 needed an lower external headset cup to avoid contact between the lower crown and the downtube. Does anyone know if the Dorado has the same issue?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No idea

what the Dorado lower crown clearance looks like.... But I do know that the frame was designed around a external lower bearing, this effects both the geometry and crown clearance. Just make sure you get one with at least 15mm of insertion, some of the big headsets, in the pursuit of weight savings I guess, have dropped their skirt lengths and they just don't grip well enough under hard use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    No idea what the Dorado lower crown clearance looks like.... But I do know that the frame was designed around a external lower bearing, this effects both the geometry and crown clearance. Just make sure you get one with at least 15mm of insertion, some of the big headsets, in the pursuit of weight savings I guess, have dropped their skirt lengths and they just don't grip well enough under hard use.
    It doesn't look like there are many examples of the DHR/Dorado combination out in the wild. Out of curiosity I went ahead and ordered a Cane Creek 110 with both a zero stack and external cup lower assembly to test how they each affect lower crown clearance. I'll report back what I find.

mtbr member
    2011 DHR set-ups

Page 14, Post 3, of the DHR set-up thread has a Dorado equipped DHR. Go through that thread, I remember seeing a few others as well. It looks like it would work... Good luck!
    2012 Turner DHR
    2013 Turner Burner

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Looks like they have external:

Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

MK_
    carpe maņana
    DHR sure looks like the downhill sled for the 1% in these photos.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    DHR sure looks like the downhill sled for the 1% in these photos.

_MK
    Isn't MTBing for the 1%? At least the ones on MTBR.

GAME ON!
    turners are for rich people
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    So I had time this weekend to try fitting the Dorado to my medium DHR frame. The zero-stack lower cup puts the lower crown and the flared clamping area of the upper legs very close to the downtube gusset. Careful placement of the bumpers helps but there is still risk.

The external lower cup provides a safe amount of clearance for the fork. Given the design assumptions of the frame, its probably the best choice for the Dorado.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well... after the lower headset bearing died on me (the headset got loose, star-nut was slipping so I was unable to tighten it. continued to ride with a loose headset for the rest of the day and killed the bearing) I switched to a zero-stack lower cup as I wanted more weight at the front wheels.

I thought I had checked clearance but Foxbat is making me have second thoughts. Gonna double check that once I return home from my trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgv101 View Post
    Well... after the lower headset bearing died on me (the headset got loose, star-nut was slipping so I was unable to tighten it. continued to ride with a loose headset for the rest of the day and killed the bearing) I switched to a zero-stack lower cup as I wanted more weight at the front wheels.

I thought I had checked clearance but Foxbat is making me have second thoughts. Gonna double check that once I return home from my trip.
    From your picture, it looks like your running the upper legs pretty high in the lower crown. That is probably giving you an extra margin of clearance even with a zero-stack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    any updates on the fit of the Dorado? Any clearance issues with the lwr crown? With the external cup and the longer ac on the Dorado, does it feel tall up front. Trying to decide between a Dorado and Boxxer for my build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynohead View Post
    any updates on the fit of the Dorado? Any clearance issues with the lwr crown? With the external cup and the longer ac on the Dorado, does it feel tall up front. Trying to decide between a Dorado and Boxxer for my build.
    Clearance between the Dorado's lower crown and the downtube with an external lower cup should be fine. I've been delayed getting my DHR put together but I'll try to get a head angle measurement in the next couple of days.

As for the Dorado vs Boxxer question, I looked for a while at all of the options but the Dorado design has had a few years to mature and prove itself. In particular, the Expert looks like a hell of a deal:

Why is nobody talking about the Manitou Dorado Expert?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynohead View Post
    Just took a quick measurement of the Dorado axle-to-crown length. With the lower crown set in the lowest (shortest) position, the distance between the center of the axle and the bearing race seat of the lower crown is about 575mm. A Fox 40 is 571mm. I think the quoted 591mm figure for the Dorado is for the lower crown mounted in the highest (longest) position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    Just took a quick measurement of the Dorado axle-to-crown length. With the lower crown set in the lowest (shortest) position, the distance between the center of the axle and the bearing race seat of the lower crown is about 575mm. A Fox 40 is 571mm. I think the quoted 591mm figure for the Dorado is for the lower crown mounted in the highest (longest) position.
    Sweet, thanks for checking. Sounds like it should be fine. I just ordered a Dorado and I'm pretty stoked on testing it out.