mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... Definately The Bike.....Not The Rider

I have been riding for over fifteen years, and there is a trail here called Jesus Saves that has an area that used to be a ski jump. Well this area has two hills that are so steep and rutted and sketchy and everything else that makes a hill impossible to climb that in all my years I haven't made them.....not ever. Well today the first time I've rode it on the new 5 Spot......wam, bam, thank you mam I cleaned them both. I couldn't believe it. There was actually a couple there with there two sons hiking when I crested the climb, and the woman said to her son "Oh look at the biker honey". I had to laugh because she had no idea what I had just done and of course my grin was as big as if I'd just won the Powerball!

So yes usually the twin piston engine is the important part, but my engine has been tuned for a long time and today was the magic day, coincidence, I think not. So I guess the moral is.....sometimes it is the bike. Thanks Dave Turner and the Turner crew for simply making the most outstanding all mountain do anything trail bike I've ever had the pleasure of throwing a leg over!!!

Dan

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just curious. What bike models were you riding (in the past) when trying to climb that trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... I've had......

In this order (some overlapping of ownership):
    1.GT Timberline (fully rigid), I think I broke everything on this bike but the frame.
    2.Giant ATX 760 (fully rigid), a friend of mine still has this bike.
    3.Cannondale M800 (fully rigid, then forked later in life), first foray into "real" mountain biking.
    4 to 7.Numerous other Cannondale HT's (front suspension)...I broke all of these, except the last one which I sold before I broke it.
    8.Specialized M2 S Works (front suspension), turned into a SS later.
    9.A Real Santa Cruz Made Bontrager Race (front suspension), turned into a SS later. I still miss this bike.
    10.Litespeed Ocoee (front suspension), turned into a SS later. Awesome ride, kinda flexy though, super fun as a SS though.
    11.Jamis Dakar (full suspension), rebuilt the pivots on this about three times in the year I owned it.
    12.Titus Switchblade, great bike but I blew out the shock over and over again.
    13.Turner XCE, my first true perfect mountain bike.
    14.Rocky Mountain Vertex, SS convert. Super super fun as a singlespeed but it never fit me just right.
    15.Turner 5 Spot, I can't even begin to say enough about this bike, it really is better than perfect.

I think that is the list, although there may have been some fleeting one night stands I forgot about.

I've also had lots of CX Bikes and Road Bikes, of which my current road bike is a custom made Serotta Colorado III. I feel the same way about this bike, it is literally perfect. I always kind of poo-pooed the idea of a custom road bike because I always fit stock frames pretty well, but when I went through a divorce I decided some good medicine would be to buy a new road bike. A friend of mine talked me into getting fitted for a Serotta and after the fitting I decided to order the Serotta. I wasn't really thinking it would be all that different than my other road bikes, of which I'd had some really nice ones (including a Serotta that I bought used from a guy who was close to my size). But I was completely wrong, it was amazing.

So again back to the moral of the story. The bike can really make a huge difference. I thought my XCE was as good as it could get, but the 5 Spot is really something extra special. It just does everything really well, some things just a little better than the XCE, but in some areas it really is that much better, climbing specifically, and technical descents also. I've lost none of the things that my XCE did really well, and gained in areas where I didn't think could be improved.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, it's fun to think back to all those bikes and the adventures each one has gone through with me. I've been through lots of ups and downs in my life and I can honestly say I'd be writing this from a mellow yellow room wrapped in a white sleeveless coat typing with a pencil between my teeth if it wasn't for the enjoyment and sanity I get from cycling. I always thought Passion was a great word for the Forums and after 35 years of life of which about 30 have been spent riding bikes I realize how two wheels, a bunch of metal, and a little plastic thrown together can make Passion. It's not all about the bike, but a really really nice one sure doesn't hurt!!!

Take care, Dan

Rolling
    How come you couldn't clean it on the Turner XCE? If you have any of those other bikes, you should go back and try it with one of them now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Three years on the XCE.....

I gave the XCE three years.

I was also lighter and in better shape in previous years. Damn ya gotta love a bike that compensates for getting fatter every year!

It could have just been "one of those days", but I think the bike figured in pretty heavily. I was out on a new trail last weekend and I came upon a short steep technical climb that I was sure I would be walking but.......nope the 5 Spot just grinds it's way up and just goes!

Dan

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    I thought my XCE was as good as it could get, but the 5 Spot is really something extra special. It just does everything really well, some things just a little better than the XCE, but in some areas it really is that much better, climbing specifically, and technical descents also. I've lost none of the things that my XCE did really well, and gained in areas where I didn't think could be improved.
    I think this sums up the move from the XCE to the 5-Spot very well. I did it, and recently Barny did it. We concur 100%. Spot on, so to speak.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, it's fun to think back to all those bikes and the adventures each one has gone through with me. I've been through lots of ups and downs in my life and I can honestly say I'd be writing this from a mellow yellow room wrapped in a white sleeveless coat typing with a pencil between my teeth if it wasn't for the enjoyment and sanity I get from cycling. I always thought Passion was a great word for the Forums and after 35 years of life of which about 30 have been spent riding bikes I realize how two wheels, a bunch of metal, and a little plastic thrown together can make Passion. It's not all about the bike, but a really really nice one sure doesn't hurt!!!
    Post of the week!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I gave the XCE three years.

I was also lighter and in better shape in previous years. Damn ya gotta love a bike that compensates for getting fatter every year!

It could have just been "one of those days", but I think the bike figured in pretty heavily. I was out on a new trail last weekend and I came upon a short steep technical climb that I was sure I would be walking but.......nope the 5 Spot just grinds it's way up and just goes!

Dan
    I've had similar experiences on my spot. It just seems to handle everything well. It's my favorite bike by far.

Great post. Enjoy the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    First, you must update your profile, Dan; it's still showing the XCE as your current bike

Now seriously, I was looking at it just to know what's your 5Spot model, because if it's a new TNT, I think your testimony (rather than review) would be really appreciated for those thinking (or waiting) to get one of those bikes

I owned a Specialized Epic, but it really didn’t match my riding style (or either I didn't match the bike geometry). I mean, it could be a great bike for racing, but not for freeride, all mountain or whatever my epic rides (no pun intended) could be called. When choosing what bike to buy, my options narrowed to a Turner 5-Spot and a Titus Talas SwitchBlade. Final decision was for the Titus, which I’ll be building up next week, and most of that decision was on the fact that SwitchBlade Talas seems really versatile, as well as the fact Turner was moving from a HL to a faux bar design (decision process was much more complex than this, but I don't pretend to go through all of it at this moment). I don’t really know if I made or not the right decision, but anyway (time will tell) and I’m still interested on knowing about the new 5Spots, just in case the SwitchBlade won’t be what I expected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Sorry about the profile!

My Turner is a HL, but I'd be willing to bet based on the two Turners that I've owned that the new TNT version is just as much a Turner and just as good as the other two I've ridden. I am a believer that there is more to a bike than one pivot placement. I've ridden plenty of other bikes with a HL and they were all different, but none of them could touch my Turners, so design obviously has lots to do with it also. But as with many others I'm sure I am also very interested to see the reviews on TNT come rolling through as people start to get the new versions. If you were looking for a HL 5 Spot I am sure you could probably find one with some digging around though.

My impression of the Switchblade was that it was a very capable trailbike, but I could not keep a shock from blowing out on it. I weigh 200#'s and had to run a lot of air pressure in the shock to get it to work for me, but on my Turner I am running between 185#'s and 205#'s versus 265#'s or more on the Switchblade. I bought my XCE partly because it was equipped with a coil shock and I was a bit skeptical of the air shock on my 5 Spot, but I have nothing but respect for the RP3, and the lower air pressure I can run. My Switchblade was the first year they were available and I am sure they've made changes and improvements so it would be hard for me to compare the two bikes now. If I were to compare though the Switchblade would be close to as good as the XCE, but the XCE overall handled better, climbing and all else was pretty much the same, the XCE just felt balanced versus the Switch, but if I were to compare my old Switch versus my new 5 Spot I would have to say the Switchblade would be a pretty poor competitor, the 5 Spot is just so dialed in, you can get yourself in so much trouble and still find a way out of it, it is truly amazing what this bike can do. But again I am comparing a four or five year old bike with a brand new bike and like I said I know they have made some changes to the Switchblade. Basded on what you are coming off of I think you will find the Switchblade the ride of a lifetime I am sure, I have never felt the Specialized bikes handled that well.

Don't get me wrong you are getting one beautiful and awesome machine, and you will probably love it. Had I not kept blowing the shock I never would have tried a Turner probably and would be happy as a clam right now on that Switchblade. Enjoy your new ride!

Dan

P.S. I'll get on that update soon

Bike to the Bone...
    I think there was a rider weight limitation on the SwitchBlade, and it was a bout the shock. So it makes sense (maybe) what happened to you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was just thinking about it. Anyway, my weight is around 160#'s, including gear, so I think it won't be a problem, at least for me. Once again, if it doesn't work, a Turner would be just around the corner.

My cup runneth over
    Several rides on a Switchblade, a couple of years on a Titus QM, a year on a Turner Burner. Ready for the 5 Spot! No criticisms of any of the Titus bikes or the Burner, we’ll see if the Spot is the ride where the pendulum should rest… Oddly enough I have cleaned technical descents better on the Burner than either Titus but maybe that's because of the Gravity Dropper and M-324s on the Burner.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavinho
    I was just thinking about it. Anyway, my weight is around 160#'s, including gear, so I think it won't be a problem, at least for me. Once again, if it doesn't work, a Turner would be just around the corner.
    I think that the magic number for the SB is 200 pounds, so no problem on that.