Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Decent dealer?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Decent dealer?

I owned a '07 Sultan and really liked it. Sold it and just have my Moots MootoX now. Thinking it is time to pick up a full squish as well. Loved the build of the Turner. Thinking about either the Czar or the new Flux....

Open to thoughts. Don't plan on racing the bike (although one or two a year is a possibility). We do not have any dealer close to here (in KC). I sent emails to three of the closest dealers listed on Turner's site. One is undeliverable, one no longer carries Turner's. Waiting on an answer from the third, although I am already down two strikes.

Any suggestions for shops to use?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    buy direct from Turner

mtbr member
    There are no dealers close to me so I went to my favorite local shop and they were able to source a frame from Turner. If you have a shop you like to deal with, might be worth a try. That or, yeah-direct from Turner...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Red Barn Bikes. Good service and prices. I ordered my Czar through Chad. No problems with shipping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I will keep searching...would really like to at least look at a frame before plunking that down that kind of cash!
    Last edited by gearguywb; 09-26-2013 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sadly you will probably have to buy something else, sorry to say there is not an authorized dealer within many states of you. Wish it were not the case, but dealers that stock ANY model are few and far between, let alone the model/size/color you want to touch/spin around on. The shift to massive mail order over the years has really put a squeeze on the kind of dealers that traditionally supported small brands like Turner Bikes. Almost every dealer we have is tiny, and even if they sell a bunch, they do not have the resources to actually stock frames/bikes. Our decision to sell direct 'between' them instead of offering our bikes to a bunch of mail order companies is to create some relief for those shops that still stand behind my brand. Mail order companies on the other hand don't give a **** if we have a long time and knowledgeable dealer in that town, they will cut their own throat to give the lowest price then ship it right down the street from Turner Bikes supporting guys like Tim, Alex, Doug, Glenn, Michael, Peter etc etc etc.

DT

mtbr member
    It is a bit of a leap of faith buying a bike sight-unseen. I've done it quite a few times-my taste in bikes is pretty eclectic. I've only ended up with bikes that really didn't suit me a couple of times-and they were easy enough to sell to like minded folks, admittedly at a loss but that's the way it goes. There aren't many companies with the history and reputation of Turner--I'd say they're a safe bet.

My cup runneth over
    Worth flying in to Denver?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for responding Dave. I guess I am a bit spoiled, my first Turner came from my local (at that time) shop in Asheville.

I have been fortunate to purchase several custom bikes over the years. the difference is that those were truly custom.

I am sure with Dave's history and reputation it would turn out well. I am just a bit chicken when it comes to an overseas made carbon bike....although in retrospect I am not really sure why. Not like looking at it is going to tell you anything

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I didn't buy mine through him, but two local riding buddies are going through Custom Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes and Hand-made wheels | Red Barn Bicycles

More than a decent dealer based solely on forum feedback.

mtbr member
    I have bought directly from Turner in the past as well as a Highline frame from Chad @ RedBarn. You cant go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Seems like small mfgs should be able to contract with bike owners for test rides in areas without LBS stock.

(My recent Burner purchase was the result of a loaner Burner ride)

Yes, that's fonetic
    Bummer you can't test ride, but fwiw after a frame and 2 complete bikes purchased directly from Turner I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Direct sales are tough on the LBS. No way around that reality.

mtbr member
    I'm sure in a city the size of KC you could find a Turner owner who has a relatively current DW sultan, spot or flux to give a go. I know the models you are talking about are a little different, but I think you would get the idea on fit. Seriously, you already owned a Turner so you know what the deal is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    jay, I guess I was not clear. Our direct sales honor the LBS territory, we give them territories and then only sell where there is no authorized LBS. Interestingly, there have been a couple situations where the customer or the dealer refused to work with each other. We sold the product to the customer with the dealers knowledge and they did not have to deal with the other for whatever reason.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Direct sales are tough on the LBS. No way around that reality.
    LBS are tough on knowledgeable and experienced cyclists. They know less than we know and have to order everything that we want.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Baloney about most LBS.

mtbr member
    I feel for folks that don't have a local shop they trust. I'm lucky that there are at least three near me that I'm comfortable doing business with...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Sadly you will probably have to buy something else, sorry to say there is not an authorized dealer within many states of you. Wish it were not the case, but dealers that stock ANY model are few and far between, let alone the model/size/color you want to touch/spin around on. The shift to massive mail order over the years has really put a squeeze on the kind of dealers that traditionally supported small brands like Turner Bikes. Almost every dealer we have is tiny, and even if they sell a bunch, they do not have the resources to actually stock frames/bikes. Our decision to sell direct 'between' them instead of offering our bikes to a bunch of mail order companies is to create some relief for those shops that still stand behind my brand. Mail order companies on the other hand don't give a **** if we have a long time and knowledgeable dealer in that town, they will cut their own throat to give the lowest price then ship it right down the street from Turner Bikes supporting guys like Tim, Alex, Doug, Glenn, Michael, Peter etc etc etc.

DT
    Just an idea. Might be a bad one, but...

Can the OP pay in full for the frame, ordered direct from Turner, and still return it if disappointed in its quality or something, paying shipping and insurance both ways?
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Knowing the historical quality of the man behind Turner bikes and the quality of the bikes themselves I wouldn't question the quality of the Czar. The amount of positive press this bike has received by people who get to ride ALL the newest blingy bikes out there, can look at high end carbon side by side and see the differences among manufactureres, this is all I need to know to order one blind. Toray carbon is considered some of the best, the DW link IS the best design, Dave turner geometry is the best for me, Turner customer service is some of the best in the business, what else do you want?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    For what it's worth, out of the 3 DW Link bikes I've owned (Sultan, Mach 429, Czar), the Czar's is my favorite implementation. Excellent pedaling with a 38-24 chainring setup yet really active for a 100mm travel bike. I also think the Kashima coating on the shock does make a difference. It took a few rides to realize that the squish I was feeling in the back end was not an underinflated tire, but the rear suspension moving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinjp View Post
    Knowing the historical quality of the man behind Turner bikes and the quality of the bikes themselves I wouldn't question the quality of the Czar. The amount of positive press this bike has received by people who get to ride ALL the newest blingy bikes out there, can look at high end carbon side by side and see the differences among manufactureres, this is all I need to know to order one blind. Toray carbon is considered some of the best, the DW link IS the best design, Dave turner geometry is the best for me, Turner customer service is some of the best in the business, what else do you want?
    Don't think it can be stated any better.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Baloney about most LBS.
    Maybe the ones you go to....

Show me the receipt for where you bought your Turner. Is that your LBS?

If The Path was my LBS I would not say anything. Sadly few LBSs can survive with that model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast