Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

dec ski trip anti-stoke

the tv station i work for has locked down any time off through xmass so my ski trip next month is out. whaddaya say we put together a homer snow gathering sometime after the new year in colorado? kinda like a 2 day THC ski and snowboard kinda thing? the rockies are a good central place otherwise id say do tahoe. more of a chance to get a good group together and maybe get a room and lift discount. you guys sign up and ill do the foot work on rates once i have a semi solid list of bodies.

happy gobble guys and girls! ride now cuz here comes the snow! big group ride planned for tomorrow am. our annual turkey tromp in ponca and one of if not thae last ride before the white stuff hits towm. looks like sun or mon if ya ask my weather guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    the tv station i work for has locked down any time off through xmass so my ski trip next month is out. whaddaya say we put together a homer snow gathering sometime after the new year in colorado? kinda like a 2 day THC ski and snowboard kinda thing? the rockies are a good central place otherwise id say do tahoe. more of a chance to get a good group together and maybe get a room and lift discount. you guys sign up and ill do the foot work on rates once i have a semi solid list of bodies.

happy gobble guys and girls! ride now cuz here comes the snow! big group ride planned for tomorrow am. our annual turkey tromp in ponca and one of if not thae last ride before the white stuff hits towm. looks like sun or mon if ya ask my weather guy.
    Screw that! I will be coming off my surgery and ready to ride. There's always a place to ride on the front range. Bring yer bike.
    Astigmatic Visionary

HIKE!

Land of eternal sunshine....

Or just bring your bike to the Hills. As you know, late late winter is when we finally get some snow. Until then, good dirt riding. Have fun on T-day rides, all!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hey! Where did you get that pic of my neighbor growing up in Northern Min - ee - soh - tah?

My ski calendar is full, but thx for the invite, and happy turkey day!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

oly
    mtbr member
    Someone at mo work almost got fired for forwarding a photo similar to that. THey put in someones name, but the mail program auto filled it out the the Director of Finance. It spurred a No offensive material in E-mail e-mail.

DGC
    mtbr member

did I hear Tahoe...???

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn

Went up at Heavenly this morning to try out the leg. It stung, hurt a bit but I did get a few runs in before bailing. Anyways, here is today's Turkey day shots.
    If you did decide on Tahoe, I can sure give ya directions. There is roughly 10 ski resorts all within a 1 hour drive radius from my house on South Shore. Lots of choices and 3500 vert roughly to work with.
    Also depending on the year, you can ride dirt and snow the same day as I did today. Check the valley out below in 2 of those pictures, just 30 minutes away is decent mountain biking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    very nice d. ya feelin ok pal? sure is good to see ya gettin back at it even if its a little at a time. tahoe would be super duper but may be too expensive for the majority. lets see how it all shakes out. id love to hit sierra ski ranch (or whatever its called these days) again after all these years.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Toby Wong?
    ummm....face shots in 8-14" of cold fresshhhhhhh is gobble gobble good for Thanksgiving~!

sorry no pics....was too busy ripping the schit outta it!

mtbr member
    Hey guys, quick question. I demoed a bunch of skis last WE but can't get my mind around which ones I'll pick.
    My shortlist is down to Scott mission or Volkl Karma. Both I loved,. I'll use them to ski softly with my wife on the slope and more aggressively in backcountry. I can't afford but one set.

any $0.02?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Bodhisattva
    I haven't skied the Scott but I have skied the Karma and own its big brother, the Volkl Mantra.

Karma is a VERY capable all-mtn ski. It can hold its own on hard snow but really excels in fresher conditions. Flex is forgiving enough for it to be used in the bumps and in a park. Biggest drawback is performance under demanding situations like ice or in a course. It's definitely not a race ski.

From the sound of its intended use I think it would suit you well.

You may want to check out Epic Ski for more input & recommendations.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Yeah I did demo the Mantra too (right after the Big Trouble and Scott P4) as well as most of the volkl skis there (superspeed supersport, AC4 and such) bummer they make that awful noise at the tip whenever it's hard snow. And yet I luv 'em.

The white sole is not as easy to service as a black sole though.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling
    Yeah I did demo the Mantra too (right after the Big Trouble and Scott P4) as well as most of the volkl skis there (superspeed supersport, AC4 and such) bummer they make that awful noise at the tip whenever it's hard snow. And yet I luv 'em.
    I LOVE that distinctive clank. When you hear it, you know it's a Mantra !

I own several sets of skis but Mantras are my favorite whenever the snow is soft & fresh and I want to move fast. But they are not damp and will eat you alive on hard irregular terrain.

They make white P-tex too ! But I'm not too concerned about the cosmetics of my bases.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Woah! Thanks for the input, you answered it all.
    Didn't know about the white P-tex...

As much as I want the Volkl I guess they're not the best choice for a one set of all-around do-it-all pair of skis.I'll probably go with the Mission. They're really easy to ski and fun.
    But I'll get the Movement Gladiator a shot first.