Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    t.e.c.1
    Aug 2009

Death to the Sultan?

So, recently there have been some rumors floating around that DT is dropping the Sultan in 2015, hence the huge sales. Can anyone validate this, and if so, what will he be replacing it with? I'd like to see a 130mm travel, carbon 29er. Call it the "Maharaja". A carbon Burner would also be cool, or a 160mm, 27.5 RFX.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Death to the Sultan?

170mm,
    Carbon,
    Der Führer

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Re: Death to the Sultan?

No clue what is coming but the deals on Sultan frames have me considering upgrading my 2011 Sultan.

mtbr member
    Forget the carbon anything and give us something a bit more along the lines of the new Nomad in terms of geometry and travel!

mtbr member
    The sultan is here to stay(me hopes)
    Lovely bike. .

t.e.c.1
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, I have a 2011 Sultan and have thought about the upgrade but now I may need to pull the trigger a little sooner than planned. I really wish the Czar had more travel, comparable to the Sultan, just for the huck factor.
    Last edited by t.e.c.1; 08-08-2014 at 12:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Seems fair to say the current aluminium Sultan will be discontinued. All hail the Sultan!

I'm guessing that it'll be replaced by a ~130-140mm carbon frame that utilises Turner's newfound carbon expertise, and will have shorter chainstays.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    I'm guessing that it'll be replaced by a ~130-140mm carbon frame that utilises Turner's newfound carbon expertise, and will have shorter chainstays.
    After a year and a half on the Czar, all I'd say is Bring It!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Clearance pricing may mean the death knoll for the Sultan but that would be somewhat surprising as the 29r trail market still seems strong. If there were a 120mm carbon Sultan in the offering, I may have opted for it over the Czar. A Sultan C would be serious competition to the Ripley, TB-LT, Rip9, etc, no doubt a great bike to add to the line.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    A Sultan C would be serious competition to the Ripley, TB-LT, Rip9, etc, no doubt a great bike to add to the line.
    I'm sure it would sell really well like the Czar has (and ride better than the bikes you listed above). But is $1600+ really worth saving 500 grams or so?

Sultan C = $2,999 (guess)
    Sultan A = $1,377 (current blowout pricing)

Anyhow, that green ano looks sweet and I'm guessing they won't last long at those prices. Only issue I'm going to have is unloading my '11 Sultan frame (large/black). Guessing $700 if I'm lucky. Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=Biopace;11372812]I'm sure it would sell really well like the Czar has (and ride better than the bikes you listed above). But is $1600+ really worth saving 500 grams or so?

Agreed - the Sultan pricing is an absolute bargain. I opted for carbon at the cost premium for the weight savings, stiffness, and ride quality or carbon. It was "worth it" only to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm betting its to empty out the warehouse at their old manufacturer, meaning it is the most likely to get a revamp in the near future.

mtbr member

Death to the Sultan?

Alu or carbon, something with 140 travel in the rear and shorter CS than the existing sultan would be rad. My Ripley needs a big brother.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was planning on getting a full suspension frame next year and the Sultan was low on my list. Now it is at the top and the frame will probably be this year. Please talk me out of it. Going in to my local Turner dealer to see if they can match the price and build it up for me.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Alu vs carbon is interesting. DT has said that he won't produce a carbon version of the Burner.

For there to be a meaningful difference between the Czar and the new Sultan, the new Sultan will need to be slacker with more travel. The forks that are relevant for the type of riding that a trail-AM worthy 29er will see are the Pike and the 34 - in aftermarket spec these start at 140mm. The Burner has 140mm of travel.

...So, the new Sultan will occupy a similar segment to the Burner. And we know that DT has said that he won't produce a carbon Burner (though that was before Santa Cruz produced lower priced version of their carbon frames, which will/has put price-pressure on high end Alu bikes/frames).

If DT won't produce a carbon Burner, why would he produce a carbon Sultan??

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't think that a carbon Sultan is about to be unveiled (though maybe in the future), but rather a significant tweaking. I'm thinking shorter chainstays, cutting some weight, maybe a touch slacker. I know lots of folks who would probably ride a Sultan, but balk at those loooong stays (whether fair or not, chainstay length is currently a key talking point for those about to buy a 29er).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    I'm thinking shorter chainstays, cutting some weight, maybe a touch slacker.
    Hopefully the Burner gets the same treatment! (more the other two than cutting some weight)

Being hand-made in the US is a point of difference for Turner over many other manufacturers (alu or carbon) and I think it would be a shame to lose that for the sake of providing carbon at a realistic price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    This sale is making it tough for me to sell my virtually new 2012 XL Sultan. I have no takers at 1k. Someone make me an offer please. Here's a link to the paid ad:
    Turner Sultan - XL - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    The sultan is a ripping ride, all versions have been a blast and only the future will reveal what next is a blast to ride. In the meantime let dt show it and ride/support what he currently offers. Word to the speculators.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Never much cared for it. Although designed fairly late in the game, it had the wacky first-generation 29er geometry. It's not a bad bike by any means, but my impressions were that 20mm more travel on the Spot really felt like 20mm more travel (the bigger wheel on the sultan did not make it feel like "more travel") and the spot was a much funner bike to throw around and maneuver around obstacles. I'd imagine with the much shorter and more modern geometry of the Czar, that this has been significantly reversed. Again, not a bad bike, but one of the 29er FS bikes that made me "wait" until geometry got much better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

psycho cyclo addict
    I have no interest in a carbon FS frame.

While no one would classify the Sultan as twitchy by any stretch, it does handle exceptionally well on descents and I can out climb many of my cronies (except for those who are about as close to pro as an amateur w/ a day job can get) running ~21 lb stupid expensive FS bikes.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i would def be interested in a bit longer travel and slacker czar'esque frame. My Czar is a killer ride, but have not yet decided if it is for me or not, meaning, i wish it was a bit slacker (especially) and had a bit more umpf in the rear - meaning a bit more plusher travel. That being said, it might be that making it slacker will be enough - something i can test with an off set head set. Other than that - i must admit to being really quite impressed with the danm thing. Beautiful construction, solid pedaler and quite light.

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    I don't think that a carbon Sultan is about to be unveiled (though maybe in the future), but rather a significant tweaking. I'm thinking shorter chainstays, cutting some weight, maybe a touch slacker. I know lots of folks who would probably ride a Sultan, but balk at those loooong stays (whether fair or not, chainstay length is currently a key talking point for those about to buy a 29er).
    That would have me utilizing the turner-4-turner program in 2015

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just pulled the trigger and ordered a black ano XL from Turner.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post
    170mm,
    Carbon,
    Der Führer

This is my guess - but lets see what the travel ends up being - 160mm or??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast