Thread: Dead Moss Grey

DGC
    mtbr member

Dead Moss Grey

Just a quick post........
    I now have a new toy to play with, an 06 dual air with u-turn and pop lock. The opportunity came up to snatch up this fork before it was shipped back because of being the entire wrong fork shipped to us for a customer, so I jumped on it. I have no love for the pop lock handlebar mounted junk, so I will probably get the parts to make it a non pop lock unless it grows on me real fast. Anyways, talk about a slick fast and secure 20mm axle, the maxle is actually quicker than a regular quick release wheel set up to pull the wheel off the fork. Maxle ranks up there with one of the coolest products in awhile, at least one of the most simple and solid 20mm axle set ups that does not take minutes to get off, but rather about 5 seconds. After you use it a few times you kinda slap your head saying, "why didnt I think of that".

Just put it on last night so I dont have dirt time on it yet, but after this weekend I will see if I like it as much as others that have posted about the Pike.
    Dead Moss Grey.......ummmm ok, but that brings a vision of "green moss gone bad", not the Ti grey look I see. Just tell everyone its grey.
    Top to bottom, it just looks tough and stiff. I am looking forward to riding this sucker...!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Feeding your addiction
    Maxle rules! We were just talking about that tonight, why the hell didn't someone think of that one sooner? I've been playing around with a Pike lately too, very impressed so far.
    Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

DGC
    mtbr member

2 thumbs up for "Maxle"

Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Maxle rules! We were just talking about that tonight, why the hell didn't someone think of that one sooner? I've been playing around with a Pike lately too, very impressed so far.
    Larry
    Larry,
    Today I was showing someone the fork and talking about the Maxle, the first comment out of his mouth was "oh, not another attempt at a non QR 20", so I said here take the wheel off yourself, and put it back on. His next comment was "That was too easy, so how quick can you get me one"...!!!!!
    Infact the first time I put it together I thought I had done it wrong, like it should have taken a lot longer with a lot more hassle.
    I have always been a coil fork person, so I am a little hesitant to how the air will perform, but it sure feels far smoother than I expected riding around the parking lot. Only some dirt will tell. Hmmmm, maybe an extended lunch is in order tomorrow.....yeah!
    OUCH...!!!!!!

oly
    mtbr member
    Cant wait for your trail report! Im thinking of replacing my Pike with a Pike.... haha, I have the race (coil) model and would like to try the 06 air, since it now has u-turn (I actually use that function).

No, that's not phonetic
    The Maxle does rule (as long as you don't smash it into rocks), and the Pike is a kick ass fork. It is the correct tool for a 5-Spot imo. Barny agrees.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Powered by ice cream.
    Please, oh please Rockshox.....

Make this fork for 29ers!

Xtremely Moderate
    Any color that has the word "dead" in it is OK by me.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The Maxle does rule (as long as you don't smash it into rocks), and the Pike is a kick ass fork. It is the correct tool for a 5-Spot imo. Barny agrees.
    DGC, maxle and rocks, shouldn't take too long before it happens. Speaking of which, I've seen a photo of a boxxer with a maxle axle that looks more like the fox 36 threaded 20mm not a QR axle. Anyone else seen it?

btw, jewels digs the pike on her burner, but that's a different thread...

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    DGC, maxle and rocks, shouldn't take too long before it happens. Speaking of which, I've seen a photo of a boxxer with a maxle axle that looks more like the fox 36 threaded 20mm not a QR axle. Anyone else seen it?

Yeah, I am working on a mod to get rid of the QR lever off my Maxle as it is on a townie and I want to hold on to my front wheel.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

on a routine expedition
    I've seen a photo of a boxxer with a maxle axle that looks more like the fox 36 threaded 20mm not a QR axle. Anyone else seen it?
    I saw one of the new boxxers with the Maxle DH. Very cool. Here's how it works:

mtbr member

Maxle

Yes, it's true...The Maxle is one of the great bike inventions.

Here's a pic:

Top = '05 Pike Maxle
    Middle = '06 Boxxer Ride QR Maxle
    Bottom = '06 Boxxer Race/Team 6mm Allen Maxle

Unfortunately, the bolted Maxle from the Boxxer can't be retro'd into the Pike Forks.

Darren

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3

Good job!

I have a 06 WC BoXXer and it has a Maxle (without the lever). It's killer!!

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    I have a 06 WC BoXXer and it has a Maxle (without the lever). It's killer!!
    hopefully eliminating the pinch bolts is a good thing, I like the idea of solid dropouts. My biggest concern with the maxle system is the failure of the bond between the threaded insert and the dropout. On the fox it's machined threads, are the boxxers an insert or machined out?

btw, nice looking color combo Dave, and have you opened up a van36 yet?

DGC
    mtbr member

this I can say.....

Quote Originally Posted by oly
    Cant wait for your trail report! Im thinking of replacing my Pike with a Pike.... haha, I have the race (coil) model and would like to try the 06 air, since it now has u-turn (I actually use that function).
    Snuck out for a bit during lunch today, playing in the dirt and a few rocks, and will do the same again tomorrow lunch time but on an actual short trail ride. Then followed by 3 full days off of bashing it. I dont want to get into a lot right now since I have only 30 minutes on it today, but it seems to be incredibly adjustable, mid stroke and big hits are excellent so far, but I had very little small stuff to hit so I will leave that and more ride impression til about Tuesday night. I did notice a higher front end climbing, nice to just crank the u-turn down climbing and still have the choice of an active feel or nearly locked out and anywhere in between.
    More later....!!!!!
    OUCH...!!!!!!

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Snuck out for a bit during lunch today, playing in the dirt and a few rocks, and will do the same again tomorrow lunch time but on an actual short trail ride. Then followed by 3 full days off of bashing it. I dont want to get into a lot right now since I have only 30 minutes on it today, but it seems to be incredibly adjustable, mid stroke and big hits are excellent so far, but I had very little small stuff to hit so I will leave that and more ride impression til about Tuesday night. I did notice a higher front end climbing, nice to just crank the u-turn down climbing and still have the choice of an active feel or nearly locked out and anywhere in between.
    More later....!!!!!
    I have a 05 Pike Dual Air on my spot. Since I came from a U-Turn Pike which I ran at 125 - 130 most of the time, at first I felt the same about the higher front end (since the Pike Air is 140mm). But now I love the extra travel and slacker head angle! Heck I even switched my low rise bars for mid rise ones.

Funny thing is that now when I jump on a Spot that has a 125mm fork, I find the head angle to be a tad steep

IMO it all comes down to the rider and what he/she prefers...also on what kind of terrain they mostly ride. I would assume that a slacker head angle would be better suited the trails on the south shore? When I rode there, I was happy to have my Pike Air on the front...

DGC
    mtbr member

SS trails = wanting slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    I have a 05 Pike Dual Air on my spot. Since I came from a U-Turn Pike which I ran at 125 - 130 most of the time, at first I felt the same about the higher front end (since the Pike Air is 140mm). But now I love the extra travel and slacker head angle! Heck I even switched my low rise bars for mid rise ones.

Funny thing is that now when I jump on a Spot that has a 125mm fork, I find the head angle to be a tad steep

IMO it all comes down to the rider and what he/she prefers...also on what kind of terrain they mostly ride. I would assume that a slacker head angle would be better suited the trails on the south shore? When I rode there, I was happy to have my Pike Air on the front...
    Yes I feel the slacker head angle will be better for sure on stuff like Toads, X-mas valley DH, Stanford Rock (west shore), and a few others. Since you can wind it down, climbing should be just fine too. I've always wanted a slcker angle by a little, without having it full length climbing like a Vanilla. So now I have it with the Pike, will be interesting these next days with snow and rain we just got. Stuck like glue on damp dirt going fast ........feel the grin already...!!!!
    OUCH...!!!!!!