mtbr member
    Apr 2008

DB inline on burner working?

Wondering if anyone has an input on how the db inline shocks are working on the burner. Last summer I got a db air CS and was having a bunch of issues with not having enough compression adjustment and the shock effectively bottoming out at about 30mm of its stroke (no, there was no frame or clearance issues). I went back and forth with cane creek a bit and saw that another user on here was having similar issues. Decided to just run the fox which is about done now and looking for something else.

Are people having good luck pairing the inline with the burner?
    Last edited by adictionbass; 07-29-2015 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I put a inline on my 11' spot and love it. I used the suggested settings from the cane Creek site. My first inline had to be sent back to cc because it was making a high whistle sound with each compression.I also had to send my cc double barrel back because of a leaking air can. Cane creek shocks are know for reliability issues....sounds like this could be one of them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I use the inline on my burner and use Justin J's settings and it works really really well. So well in fact that i had to remove my token from the pike

HSC: 3
    LSC: 14
    HSR: 2
    LSR: 12

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How many volume spacers are people running? Has Turner made any recommendations on the ideal volume for the Burner/spot/sultan? I would think that there is a proper volume for the bike, and then some room for adjustment for personal preference.

The nomenclature CC uses is 1 strip is a "Small" spacer and the whole strip of 5 is a "large" spacer.
    DB inline on burner working?-3058.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdakaR View Post
    I use the inline on my burner and use Justin J's settings and it works really really well. So well in fact that i had to remove my token from the pike

HSC: 3
    LSC: 14
    HSR: 2
    LSR: 12
    Ha ha it's Just J but I'm really glad you like my tune, I've tried a few now on the Burner and this is definitely my favourite. All I can say is the shock seems to work amazingly well on an already amazingly well sorted bike.

mtbr member
    I'm also running DB Inline using roughly JustJ's settings. I had the shock on my 5 Spot before bolting on the a Burner and have basically the same experience that the shock really provides a feeling of stability. The only thing I've noticed is that I had sag slightly under 15mm for a bit and the low speed rebound on the plush side which caused a wollowy feel pulling up the front end bunnyhopping and the like. I think the longer Burner chain stay effectively is a bigger lever and the bit of extra force required to pull up the front end (on a large) reveals when these setting are off a bit. A bit more air in the can and an increase in the LSR brought the pop back.

mtbr member
    It's good to know that people are using my tune, I have always liked my rear suspension just so and the Inline is the only shock that I've been able to truly get to where I want any bike to be, which is supple over the small stuff, yet poppy when peddling and jumping etc, whilst still being plush yet very efficient. The Inline set with 15mm sag definitely achieves this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So knowing the fox shocks that come on this bike have very low damping tunes, I was surprised to see so much damping on just J's tune. None the less, put my gear on and set sag right at 30% (~175psi at 195lbs + gear) and adjusted the shock accordingly.

Just in the street it felt slow and a little dead, but I hit the trail with it. Felt ok on the smooth stuff, but as soon as there were any roots or rock gardens, the back end was all over the place and chattering like crazy. After slight tinkering, I decided to just start from scratch.

Ended up closer to a full turn in of HSC and about half a turn in of HSR. Left the low speeds right in the middle and that felt ok, but will probably be pulling a bunch out on those in the coming rides.

What kind of trails are you riding for just J's tune? Assuming no volume spacers? It was anything but plush and lively on the jumps. Toying with my buddies Hd3 all I could think was how much I want my rear suspension to feel like his, just haven't gotten there that (my fork setup crushes his though, ha)

mtbr member

DB inline on burner working?

I ride everything from XC to DH on the Burner, just riding aggressive trail really. I don't run any volume spacers as I didn't find the need to as it just feels awesome to me. My last bike had a Push'd Fox Factory CTD shock and that was my bench mark on how I wanted the bike to ride. My current setup surpasses it in every way and plush yet poppy is how I'd describe things. Definitely not chattery.

I'd love to try an HD3 with an Inline, see what difference there'd be...

What fork are you running just out of interest?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Pike. My buddy has a pike also, just not as dialed as mine.

Guess I'm in for quite a bit of tuning time with that inline.

mtbr member
    Differences in DB Inline settings between various Burners could be due to mistightened/over-torqued pivot bolts. I noticed a loose pivot bolt the other day and went over all the pivots cleaning, greasing and tightening them. After, I checked the pivot action without a shock and found the rear end to be really stiff. Backed off the torque a little and the rear end was massively smoother. Your DB Inline settings will be hugely affected by the relative stiffness of the linkages. Turners are known to have a break-in period as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My burner and inline were riding pretty harshly using 1.5 small volume spacers and almost fully open LSC and HSC. I was surprised to see people here running so much LSC/HSC given my experience and I attributed the discrepancy to the volume spacers I was using. Over the weekend I removed the spacers and tried the Just J tune. I settled on lower HSC and LSC then he did and the feel is much improved from my previous settings. For high speed rocky terrain this setup is fantastic, there's significant improvement in traction and sensitivity. Looks like the number of spacers to use on this bike is zero.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a Burner and am looking at a DB inline. My question is, is anyone noticing heat build up?

I have ridden a S-works Enduro with the DB and the DB-inline. (both S-works demo bikes) The regular DB made the bike feel awesome and the inline definitely heated up with in a half hour of riding and the handling was affected.

I know that FSR is dramatically different than DW, but the leverage ratio is pretty similar?

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It works well for park riding and enduro races in northern europe.. that said it might be a very different case where you live.. the ccdb air is only 300grams heavier, could be worth it for peace of mind.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I have an inline on my burner and it has been a vast improvement over the stock fox. The bike feels much more supple and more controlled. The stock Fox absolutely sucked for pushing off lips the Cane Creek has transformed the bikes jumping capability. I was just about to buy a different frame until i added the inline and raised my Pike to 160mm and now I'm totally satisfied, at least for the moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac View Post
    I have an inline on my burner and it has been a vast improvement over the stock fox. The bike feels much more supple and more controlled. The stock Fox absolutely sucked for pushing off lips the Cane Creek has transformed the bikes jumping capability. I was just about to buy a different frame until i added the inline and raised my Pike to 160mm and now I'm totally satisfied, at least for the moment.
    That is the feedback I was looking for. I was going to test ride a shock at Suspension Experts in Asheville, but have been told that they no longer offer the Cane Creek Demo program.

Looks like I need to save some coins and get a InLine for my Burner.