Thread: D-wang upgrades

Team Sanchez

D-wang upgrades

You all remember the notorious D-wang. He is the only member of Team Sanchez riding something other than a turner. He was on an 03 Enduro w/Pike. Well we tried and tried to get him to buy a six pack, but he wasn't having it. He went and dropped his hard earned wad on an 06 SX Trail, and 06 Z-1 Light ETA. We just finished putting the final touches on it. It weighed in at 35.5 lbs. Hayes El Camino Brakes, King headset, Thomson DH stem, RF Deus crankset, and some heavy wheels from Sun. The one thing that I love about this bike is the lower leverage ratio. The thing gets 6.6 inches of rear travel via 9.0 x 2.75 DHX 5.0 for a leverage ratio of 2.4 to 1. Ride report to follow after tomorrow morning's jaunt on the barrel trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by El Chingon; 03-08-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Team Sanchez
    Here are some parting shots of D-wang on the old Enduro...

Team Sanchez
    And my favorite....

Living the Dream

That is a sweet ride.

If you had some lighter wheels and the new RS 35, you could easily get that bad boy to 32 lbs. Spec Ed has a sweet warranty too. Can D-wang get the seat low enough. The interrupted seat is the only thing I don't like. Also, on the Spec Ed board, there was talk that the OEM DHX on the enduros was not as good as the after market version.

I do really like that bike though. It has great geometry.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member

Who Cares!!

I am absolutely bothered by the fact that not one Homer has thrrashed El C for posting something other than a Turner. Is this so called Team Sanchez that intimidating? Well, I am going to be the first to tell the infamous D Wang that his bike looks... SWEET!!! See ya in the am.

No, that's not phonetic
    Thanks Lycra. I have to admit, I don't give a crap about someone's new Special Ed, and have no idea why El Chi would soil these hallowed grounds with that tripe.

Seriously though, do the other boards suck that bad that people have to come to Homerville to post their non-Turner bikes?

Nice ride pics anyway.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nice ride. I'd buy an Enduro if it had a water bottle mount, like Turners do. Then I could have me one of those Horsey Links too!

No, the one under the downtube doesn't count.

And FYI, my buddy found out the hard way that the Spec Ed warranty technically applies only to the main triangle. Not the rear end parts that actually tend to break. In the end, they came through, but you'd have thought they gave him the Holy Grail or something.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Team Sanchez
    The seat actually goes lower than you think. This morning he lowered the seat to where there was only one inch of post showing. There is a stop built in at the bottom of the seat tube that keeps the post from hitting the shock. This is a much better design than the old enduros.

Baked Alaskan
    Cool pics, but I agree with Ts -- what's with the non-turner content??? Don't "they" have their own board???

However I do think its acceptable for Homers to post their other rides.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member

Really nice ride

I'm glad that Specialized has stepped up their game as of late, gives us HL devotees a much needed alternative to Hellsworth.

Team Sanchez
    What a bunch of whiney little b!tches. D-wang rides with my group. Everyone in my group rides a Turner. Turner licensed the Horst Link from Speshy, and there you have it...the six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Edit: Besides, the specialized board is lame. I figure since D-wang shows up in most of my action pics, that everyone should scope his ride.
    Last edited by El Chingon; 03-09-2006 at 11:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    In the end, they came through, but you'd have thought they gave him the Holy Grail or something.
    You mean an Epic?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Knomer
    Cool bike. It's nice to see a frame with a proven suspension design on the Turner board.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Baked Alaskan

Now you have to go bringing "The Bacon" into this...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    What a bunch of whiney little b!tches. D-wang rides with my group. Everyone in my group rides a Turner. Turner licensed the Horst Link from Speshy, and there you have it...the seven steps to Kevin Bacon.

Edit: Besides, the specialized board is lame. I figure since D-wang shows up in most of my action pics, that everyone should scope his ride.
    The Special board blows the same way all of the other manufacturer boards blow -- no personality. But I thought we were all a bunch of poseur snobs anyway???

Perhaps you could photoshop a Pack into the pics that feature Wang just to appease the Turner gods???

Nice pics BTW...
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Also, on the Spec Ed board, there was talk that the OEM DHX on the enduros was not as good as the after market version.

That is true. The OEM DHX 5 does not have the shraeder valve to pump up the Boost valve. That is the only feature missing. I called Fox to ask them about this, and they said the boost is set at 150psi. After getting D-wang's ride impressions this morning, he stated that the rear end stayed glued to the ground, and he loved it. The new Z-1 will take some breaking in, and as usual, the oil heights were set too high, and he is missing out on about a half inch of travel. 9 more rides, and we'll do an oil change on that thing.

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    I'm glad that Specialized has stepped up their game as of late, gives us HL devotees a much needed alternative to Hellsworth.
    Hi, I'm a lurker but not in the bad way, I'm kinda looking for a DHR, anyway I have to add that another nice alternative to the "E word" for a horst-link bike is Titus. I've got a Super-Moto right now and love it. OK back to the regularly scheduled programming .
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Hi, I'm a lurker but not in the bad way, I'm kinda looking for a DHR, anyway I have to add that another nice alternative to the "E word" for a horst-link bike is Titus. I've got a Super-Moto right now and love it. OK back to the regularly scheduled programming .
    Yeah, I've always had a soft spot for Titus, almost bought a Switchblade before stumbling upon the 5 Spot. I'm not too sure what direction that company is headed lately though, and their new bikes just seem to miss the mark in terms of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the tip though.