www.derbyrims.com

CZAR ride review

I had posted this reply under MTBR's Sea Otter coverage of the CZAR debut.
    Turner Does Carbon ? New Czar 29er Race Bike | Mountain Bike Review

Riding the Czar simply feels natural. Balanced cornering geometry, not twitchy at speed or floppy while climbing, the large wheels and low BB height offer low and stable pedal weighted cornering below the wheel axles. Pedaling is instantly responsive, firm and grippy traction that refuses to spin out on gravely climbs, even when standing to accelerate and climb. Also my first ride on XX1, found plenty of gear range for the Sea Otter’s demonstration trail, the NorCal HS XC race course having fast downhill small jumps, some washboard stutter bumps and one steep climb, with little chance of dropping a chain having not front shifting and a clutched tightened chain, very quiet, no chain slap. This is a top quality bike for elite XC and XC Enduro racers, also easy handling for road riders entering the trails for the first time, and well experienced hardpack single track explorers. Very, very well done! Wow!

I'll add this... I'm a 200 lb rider, not well designed for XC racing (big upper body, short legs). I'm more trail and AM oriented, climbing for the reward of the descent and traveling to ride challenging mountain or desert rocky trails. Usually XC racer bikes are too firm and twitchy handling for my rough trail interests. But like I said above, the CZAR is natural feeling, easy to ride, and besides having very light feeling snappy acceleration and easy climbing, the CZAR would be a great solo 24 hour race ride, and for most all day XC trail rides. The handling doesn't take away any exhausting mental energy, all mental focus can be spent reading the trail ahead, conserving energy for improved performance towards the end of a long ride.

I've also had time to reflect on the XX1 drive train after returning to my bike's double-ring+bash 10-speed. And I really like the quick and easy gear rate jump when shifting the duel front rings for riding frequently irregular up and down trail. The XX1 single ring does makes good sense to drop the front ring and shifter weight for always riding more consistent medium to higher speeds while pedaling during XC racing and smoother higher momentum single track.

It is amazing that just 15 years ago or so the original Turner Burner was winning national DH races with very similar frame geometry and travel as the CZAR. Now, under the same rider, the CZAR with the same tires would beat the Burner down those same DH runs... and easily climb up to do it again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How tall are you Derby and which size frame did you ride? Curious as to the other parts of the build too. What kind of fork were you running? 100mm w/51mm offset? (This is the recommended setup according to the Turner website now)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Great review! So many good bikes out there but Turner's customer services is so good it hard to not consider one.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    How tall are you Derby and which size frame did you ride? Curious as to the other parts of the build too. What kind of fork were you running? 100mm w/51mm offset? (This is the recommended setup according to the Turner website now)
    I'm 6'0", 32 dress pant inseam (short legs), 200+ lbs ride weight. I rode a Large size CZAR with the 100mm travel 51mm offset fork. Maybe I rode the same bike pictured in Gregg Kato's MTBR's Sea Otter review.

I wish to thank Dave Turner for making the expensive trip to Sea Otter after missing last year (maybe skipped last year to afford the very high cost to produce the CZAR!). And Greg Wolff for setting me up on this great XC-Trail bike, and for the very cool CZAR hat for the nice warm weather at what appeared to be the biggest Sea Otter crowd ever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had a chance to ride Greg Wolff's XL with a 100mm Fox fork at SOC on the XC course. I'm 6'2 with a 33" inseam and 190lbs and the XL with a 90mm/-6 stem fit perfectly.

-Shane
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    I had a chance to ride Greg Wolff's XL with a 100mm Fox fork at SOC on the XC course. I'm 6'2 with a 33" inseam and 190lbs and the XL with a 90mm/-6 stem fit perfectly.

-Shane
    Hey that's my size (well, closer to 195 at the moment, but that's another story).

Same here. Perfect fit with a 100mm/-6 stem. Astounding lateral rigidity.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review. Sounds like it's going to be a winner.

Have you ridden the Pivot 429 Carbon? I wonder how they compare. Similar dimensions but Turner's version of the dw-link is usually a bit plusher than Pivot's but with the Czar's intended use as a XC race, and marathon bike, I wonder.

Anyone ridden both?

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Thanks for the review. Sounds like it's going to be a winner.

Have you ridden the Pivot 429 Carbon? I wonder how they compare. Similar dimensions but Turner's version of the dw-link is usually a bit plusher than Pivot's but with the Czar's intended use as a XC race, and marathon bike, I wonder.

Anyone ridden both?
    I don't think there is much trail in the czar or the 429. I will need to ride the czar but it is calling to me.

Bob
    Last edited by bobo_krkk_NIN; 05-07-2013 at 10:29 PM.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Nice review...to say I'm jealous is an understatement ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja