Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Czar Front Derailleur

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  etanc 
#1 ·
I have a 2x10 Sram drivetrain but a Shimano front derailleur is recommended for the Czar.

Anyone manage to modify a Sram front der to get it to work or is Shimano the only solution?

#3 ·
I think it has to do with the adjustment range not being adequate for the direct mount position on the bike. Shimano direct mount front ders may have more range of adjustment so I would like to know if anyone has figured out a modification for the Sram der before I ditch Sram.

#4 ·
I am pretty sure a SRAM will NOT fit at all. The location of the SRAM linkage is so different that we ditched it early in the development, as in not even close to Shimano envelope shape. They are so different and we discarded the thoughts completely that there has never been a reason to buy a direct mount SRAM just to bolt on and see if we totally screwed up engineering and somehow the SRAM link would fit. Of course if SRAM copies the Shimano linkage it would fit perfectly. At the time we were engineering the Czar, XX1 had not been born yet and Shimano was still way out in the lead for drive train. Now.... I would do the Czar without a permanent front derailer mount! 10-42 XX1 is killing it, death to front derailers! I digress....

The Shimano works fine and if you don't like having XTR looking at you over a SRAM drive train take some paint remover and with a Qtip put a little dab on the ink and it will lift 'XTR' right off the polished silver top link. If you buy an XT with the whole linkage painted, cover it with a sticker or tape.

Shimano has always made great working front derailers, the 10spd stuff on the market now is great and the next generation side pull is freakin AMAZING!!!! and the only front derailer worth owning, if you want a front derailer. IMO with the half assed 11-40 cogset Shimano 11 speed, they are a front derailer required company.

#9 ·
The Shimano works fine and if you don't like having XTR looking at you over a SRAM drive train take some paint remover and with a Qtip put a little dab on the ink and it will lift 'XTR' right off the polished silver top link. If you buy an XT with the whole linkage painted, cover it with a sticker or tape.

Shimano has always made great working front derailers, the 10spd stuff on the market now is great and the next generation side pull is freakin AMAZING!!!! and the only front derailer worth owning, if you want a front derailer. IMO with the half assed 11-40 cogset Shimano 11 speed, they are a front derailer required company.
This speaks to a question I've had - on the Czar "Frequently asked Questions", it mentions that the XTR front derailer/chainring set up is not compatable in a 2x10 set up. 3x10 is okay, but not 2x10. XT 2x10 is fine.

DT's comments make it sound like there is no such issue. If the Q/A is correct, and the current XTR 2x10 will not work, does anyone know if the new XTR (? November) will be compatable?

Thanks.

#5 ·
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I wouldn't have thought that the linkage design of a front derailleur could be so dissimilar that it would not be interchangeable- is this something that is unique to the Czar? I am not aware of other frames designs have brand specified front derailleur usage but if the adjustment range on the SRAM der is limited relative to the fixed mount position, then that would do it.

Yes, fast racer types always say 1x11 is all you need but for the 2x10 offers a go fast ring and a climbing ring without having to make a terrain dependent compromise up front.

#6 ·
Good info regarding the front der. I'm thinking along same lines as etanc in that I thought one of the main reasons for direct mount was to allow for ease of rear suspension design w/o having to accommodate clamp style front der to seat tube. Given this I wouldn't of thought it still boiled down to brand specific for which direct mount fits. Thought direct mount is universal.

My question is can a shimano xt or xtr direct mount front der be adjusted low enough for my sram 36-22 chainrings? Shimano says range only to 38 but so does Sram for there front der but also stated will go low enough for 36.

I'm currently running 1 x 10 shimano. Contemplating getting a giant 40t cog in back but unsure still about the less than perfect shift issues.

Opt 2. Go back to 2 x 10. Will need front shifter, front der.

Opt 3. 1 x11 $$$

#7 ·
The beauty of the direct mount is not having to deal with a round seat tube! I am sure the shifting companies have their favorite features.. The linkage is the same but the method of attachment changes.

I am sure there are other companies, more than a couple, that are Shimano specific front derailer spec. The SRAM linkage is really in the way of some pivot systems.

Is there anyone running 36t ring with a direct mount, either after market ring on Shimano or a SRAM on another brand of bike? The Direct Mount is a specific design so if the frame maker follows Shimano's spec. Supposed to anyway...

DT

#8 ·
I will have to take a closer look at the SRAM and Shimano direct mount linkage differences, no idea that SRAM varied to the point of being in the way if the suspension linkage but good to know.

But this is no surprise - I have encountered a real lack of information in my efforts to switch from a Shimamo to SRAM crankset for my next build. It would be nice if there were more uniform standards, seems like a perpetual learning curve for the home wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.