Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Czar Fork

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Czar Fork

Anyone run a "regular" offset Sid on a Czar? Appears as though the frame is designed around the 51mm offset fork. Wondering if the handling would be compromised much with the Sid, which I already have. I think maybe they are 46mm or something close to that. Is that enough difference to notice? Of course, the pictures on the site show the bike with the Sid, but...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I use the standard offset SID a lot, have one on right now. The biggest difference I feel is in the linked turns, if you have a quick combo the second turn initiation is tougher due to the larger trail # on the 46mm off set. This is mostly a problem in tight trees where there is absolute limits to turn radii. The flip side is the bike is more stable at speed and handles chunk even better. That said, once you get used to it, it really is no big deal we just adapt to what we got when we start riding. The standard Fox has even less offset and that becomes more of a pita in tighter turns, I know you were not inquiring about Fox, but I had to throw that out. If you are looking at a 120mm fork.... 51mm all the way as the longer travel/slacker HA automatically increases trail, so starting with the 51mm makes sure you don't end up way too heavy in the front end.

DT

mtbr member
    question....i would like to run a 120 on my new Czar, and it would seem a 51mm off set is the way to go. The Sid only seems to come in the 51 in a 100mm version. Is there a Sid 120 with the 51mm. Does a Fox Float 120 have that off set. Any advice would be great
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a new Sid on a hardtail that was convertible from 100-120mm. I had to buy some new internals though. I ended up going 110mm for a custom geo Ti bike. It was 51mm offset.

I have a new Fox 32 Float 29 120mm ready to be built on my XL Czar when they become available. It's 51mm offset as well. We specified it when we ordered it.

mtbr member
    i would like to stick with fox, i will look intio that avenue and ask for that off set if is available. thank you.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I can confirm that the Czar rides really well with the Fox 120 with the 51 mm offset. I've been riding it that way for quite awhile, with two "re-tests" of the 100 thrown in for kicks. I prefer the 120 for overall riding, but the 100 has its own strong points, and would be my choice if I used my Czar only as a dedicated race bike......which I don't.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the input, DT! Good info.

mtbr member
    So offset and fork length aside does anybody have opinions on Rock Shox SID vs. Fox Float?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Probably best for the Suspension/Fork forum, but since we're here.....I feel my SID RCT3 is night and day difference than all of my newer Fox Floats. SID gets full travel, doesn't ramp up as much, the RCT actually works and makes a noticeable difference. Maintaining them is easy (not saying the Floats are difficult) and I like the SID light weight.

I am in the process of putting SIDs on all my bikes and parting ways with the Fox 32 Float.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I can confirm that the Czar rides really well with the Fox 120 with the 51 mm offset. I've been riding it that way for quite awhile, with two "re-tests" of the 100 thrown in for kicks. I prefer the 120 for overall riding, but the 100 has its own strong points, and would be my choice if I used my Czar only as a dedicated race bike......which I don't.
    I believe you tried 110 as well right? You didn't keep it so guess you didn't feel it gave you the best of both worlds?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    I believe you tried 110 as well right? You didn't keep it so guess you didn't feel it gave you the best of both worlds?
    110 would probably be perfect. It felt great. Unfortunately, I had to put that fork back on the Camber in order to sell it, and the new Fox forks are not that easy to change travel.

So 120 it remains, for me.

Couldn't be happier with the bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Czar Fork

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    110 would probably be perfect. It felt great. Unfortunately, I had to put that fork back on the Camber in order to sell it, and the new Fox forks are not that easy to change travel.

So 120 it remains, for me.
    Cool thanks.

I think the part is only like $50. Next time you service the fork you could swap it in.

LDM
    Jul 2008
    A Czar with a 120 fork is at the top of a short list for my next bike, the TB2c or Ripley being the other two. Have any of you Czar owners had any issues with the Journal Bushings. I do a lot of winter ridding in the Seattle area an I would assume the Journal bushings would hold up better that bearings. A buddy with a TB2 had rusted bearings in 4 months of riding on a new frame, which SC thought might not have been greased properly when the bike was assembled.

Thanks, Don

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Mason View Post
    A Czar with a 120 fork is at the top of a short list for my next bike, the TB2c or Ripley being the other two. Have any of you Czar owners had any issues with the Journal Bushings. I do a lot of winter ridding in the Seattle area an I would assume the Journal bushings would hold up better that bearings. A buddy with a TB2 had rusted bearings in 4 months of riding on a new frame, which SC thought might not have been greased properly when the bike was assembled.

Thanks, Don
    I get at least two full seasons on the lower pivots and typically infinity on the uppers. I also live in the PNW (Hood River) but honestly don't ride that much in mud. I do, however, ride a LOT.

I've been amazed at how much range the Czar covers with a 120 fork, for an endurance racing bike.

LDM
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Kosmo. I don't seek out mud, avoid trails that shouldn't be ridden wet, but muddy is what you get around here… hood river is a desert by comparison I should just buy the damn bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I should just buy the damn bike!
    That's what I just did!!!

LDM
    Jul 2008
    Very cool! Did you get a complete bike? What fork did you get. Let us know what you think when you get to ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Very cool! Did you get a complete bike? What fork did you get. Let us know what you think when you get to ride it.
    I ordered a complete bike. I ordered the Czar with the XT 2 X 10 build. Stans Crest rims on the DT 350 hubs. (I'll do carbon wheels later after my wife starts talking to me again). Fox factory fork and shock, 100 mm. The Czar demo bike that I rode for three days was sooo good that there was no need for me to experiment with 120mm. I think I'll end up at 25 pounds with XT pedals. The demo bike was 22.4 pounds with 1x11, Enve, and my pedals which is pretty cool for a size large. Oddly, I wasn't a big fan of the 1x11....too much click click click click click click click. Anyway, long answer to a short question. Can't wait to get it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Czar Fork

All this talk about fork lengths and offsets got me so hot and bothered that I bought a used 46mm offset 100 sid off eBay. I'll compare it against the 51mm 120 sid on the bike and keep whichever I like more.

Hot damn I need this snow to melt so I ride more, shop less.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am looking for aluminium crown 100mm SID with 51mm offset and maxlelite/15mm axle. I can only find a WC xloc version with this. Does any of you know if I can get a non-WC version with 51mm offset and maxlite/15mm axle?
    Last edited by BrianBak; 02-19-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Czar Fork

Trying to decide on a fork for the Czar I'm building...I'm 215lbs (of solid manliness) and thinking the Sid may be a wee noodly; anyone opting for the Revelation instead? Is the A2C longer for the 120mm from one model to the next? Any info appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post
    Trying to decide on a fork for the Czar I'm building...I'm 215lbs (of solid manliness) and thinking the Sid may be a wee noodly; anyone opting for the Revelation instead? Is the A2C longer for the 120mm from one model to the next? Any info appreciated.
    Relevant

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    At your size, I'd opt for the Fox 120 chassis (whether you ride it at 120 or reduce the travel).

I think you'd appreciate the extra stoutness of that chassis over the 100. At 195, I've ridden both extensively, and it is noticeable.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Czar Fork

I actually looked at reducing a Pike to 120mm since it's only a +80 grams weight penalty over the Float 120...I just need to figure out the A2C's for each of the options.

Is there any difference in the chassis between the Sid and the Revelation? Appreciate the feedback.

mtbr member
    I actually looked at reducing a Pike to 120mm since it's only a +80 grams weight penalty over the Float 120...
    So far I'm really digging the Pike (120mm) on my Czar but I don't have anything to compare it to. I'll try to get an A2C this evening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast