mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Czar - CK PF30 BB Creaking - whats the cure??

The Chris King PF30 bottom bracket on my wifes Czar has started to creak when pedalling.
    Whats the best cure?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What does King say?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Which crankset are you using? I had a very loud creak develop from my BB/crank area on every pedal stroke. It came on very quickly and was odd in that I'd had no issues prior. Turns out is was coming from my XX1 crank where the crankarm and removable spider interfaced. Simple solution by cleaning & greasing.

mtbr member
    Have you got the grease add on tool for the king? My ck has done 3000, and it's been noise free. But I have greased it every 1500. (The bearings)
    Last edited by rone; 08-20-2015 at 10:57 PM.

otb club member
    Be sure it is the BB. Creaks and pops are very hard to pinpoint and sometimes travel through the frame. In my own experience there have been several times noises attributed to a BB where from something in the seat post area (seat post inside the frame, friction/movement between the outside of the seat tube and ID of the clamp, seat clamp rails, etc.).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes, make sure to rule out everything else first. But if it is the bb, I know the guys at my bikeshop rely on a retaining compound (such as permatex green) for press fit bb's. It does help eliminate any tiny gaps, thus creaks. I've used it on the brackets of two of my bikes with success. No creaks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I would be very hesitant to use green loc tite to bond a BB into the frame. it is a press fit, and we have not heard of 1 BB shell being sloppy fit yet, so if that thing was a press fit , and had some sort of grease or anti seize on it, then there should be no need for the loctite. Any place on a mechanism like this where 2 parts are bolted together could be making noise and traveling. My wifes derailer hanger bolt was loose recently... I usually leave them a bit un-tight so the axle will catch more quickly when installing wheel, but just a wee twist with the Torx wrench helped stabilize the hanger. No noise.....

mtbr member
    the hanger was the culprit on mine, a bit of grease on the inside as well...
    Product designer @RSDBikes.com

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

otb club member
    Definitely back up DT on the no Loctite instruction. Yes, some shops use it. Yes, it can be used as a last-ditch effort. However, removing it later will be an absolute nightmare.

I am using a standard press fit KCNC (PRESS-FIT BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING) with no issues on my Czar. Turner seems to have the ID of the PF30 shell spot on. If there is a movement issue that can't be resolved with adequate greasing and proper crank adjustment, you might consider a thread-together option such as the Enduro TorqTite:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The cure is a screw in bottom bracket design. Typically noisy BB30 are a function of either poor installation or lack of maintenance. Give me a screw in BB any day of the week.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    The cure is a screw in bottom bracket design. Typically noisy BB30 are a function of either poor installation or lack of maintenance. Give me a screw in BB any day of the week.
    Agree. SC has managed to stay with BSA, so it can be done. All the other "standards" have caused a lot of headaches. However, if a manufacturer is going to go with a new standard, they at least ought to get it right (Turner has, in my experience). Others get the BB shell ID too loose or too tight, or even produce ovalized shells.

mtbr member
    Thanks to Ibis for doing BSA on the HD3 and going back to BSA on the new Ripley V2. Hope this is a trend that continues!

PF BBs are a "solution" in search of a problem that then necessitate new solutions to the real problems they create.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    BB30 BBs are a solution looking for a problem. However, I'm sure Turner has done it right. Furthermore, I think internal cable routing is a solution looking for a problem. Another rant I guess. Creak is usually alloy on alloy movement. Right?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Typically noisy BB30 are a function of either poor installation or lack of maintenance.
    How does one 'maintain' a singular press fit installation?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Are you sure it's a creak or a popping sound?
    CK once properly installed/aligned, it shouldn't creak. You can check your crank axle(whatever you call it) if there are marks or premature wear that is related to improper installation.
    I suspect it is coming from something else...
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.