Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Czar Build Thread

There are a number of them out there now, post them up!

Bought the frame and fork through North of the Border after riding a demo back in April. First ride yesterday was awesome. Love how stable the pedaling platform is and the geometry for descending.

Frame: Large (I am 5' 10")
    Fork: 2013 Fox Float, Kashima, 100mm, 51mm offset (bought through Turner)
    Headset: Cane Creek 110
    Stem: Thomson 90mm, 0 rise
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Seat: WTB Devo Ti
    Bars: Enve
    Shifters: XTR
    Brakes: Magura MT6, 180 Front Rotor, 160 Rear
    Grips: ODI Ruffian with Turner clamps
    Front D: XTR
    Rear D: XTR Clutch
    Chain: XTR
    Cassette: XT
    BB: Praxis - PF30 for Shimano (really happy with this choice)
    Cranks: XTR Triple
    Pedals: Time ATAC
    Wheels: Stans Arch with Stans hubs
    Tires: Conti Mountain King, Protection with Black Chili
    Cage: Lezyne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Czar Build Thread-rsz_shot_2.jpg  

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Looks good! I need to find out where I'm at in the queue for a large, black Czar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice build - how do you like the mt6's? I have been using magura's for awhile but I am tempted buy the xtr's power.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    Nice build - how do you like the mt6's? I have been using magura's for awhile but I am tempted buy the xtr's power.
    They are getting better. After four rides they are getting stronger. The rotors were used with another brake set so it is taking some time for them to bed in with the Magura pads. I am going to give them a couple more weeks before I decide if I like them or not. If not I will be going to Shimano. You can't beat their power but the Maguras are certainly light. What model of Magura are you running? What's been your experience?

Also... Where's all the Czar builds? You guys too busy riding?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I have a super long thread in the 29er forum about this but its the stock xx1 Czar with Enve xc. All I'd do is x-post a link here
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jhardeman View Post
    They are getting better. After four rides they are getting stronger. The rotors were used with another brake set so it is taking some time for them to bed in with the Magura pads. I am going to give them a couple more weeks before I decide if I like them or not. If not I will be going to Shimano. You can't beat their power but the Maguras are certainly light. What model of Magura are you running? What's been your experience?

Also... Where's all the Czar builds? You guys too busy riding?

I have been using the Marta sl's for a long time, they are easy to work on and Magura tech support has been excellent. The modulation is outstanding but the stopping power could be better in comparison to the new Shimano's.

Enjoy that Czar - A Czar and Flux demo will most likely result in a new frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Loving my new 2 wheeler, thanks Doug @ NOtB for talking me into it!

My build is:

RockShox SID RCT3 fork (normal offset)
    XX1 Drivetrain (with 168 Q Factor cranks)
    XO Trail brakes
    Stans wheels (soon to be Crank Bros Cobalt's as soon as they get the XX1 Driver for their wheels)
    Crank Bros Cobalt Stem, Bars, Seatpost, Pedals
    Chris Kink Bottom Bracket
    Cane Creek 110 Headset

Weight with pedals and bottle cage @ just over 24 lbs. Czar Build Thread-drive-side-profile.jpg

Czar Build Thread-front.jpg

I am coming off a Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon HT, so this is a dream, and outperforms on anythign but a smooth fireroad climb. Even then, i am amazed at how well the Czar does!

I am having quite a bit of knock in the suspension, and I road another Czar yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sure Turner will be making it right soon! Is anyone else hearing this as well? It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance, but people sure know when I am coming up behind them

All in all, I'm a pretty stoked consumer!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by surfn8 View Post
    I am having quite a bit of knock in the suspension, and I road another Czar yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sure Turner will be making it right soon! Is anyone else hearing this as well? It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance, but people sure know when I am coming up behind them

Re the suspension knock. I used a grease gun to squirt some more grease into the nipples at the BB and it solved that issue

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Re the suspension knock. I used a grease gun to squirt some more grease into the nipples at the BB and it solved that issue

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it, and rode it around the block and cycled through the travel a bunch of times. There was definately grease coming out through the other side bushings.

Czar Build Thread-grease.jpg

The knock is still there...
    I'll see it goes away during my next outing.

mtbr member
    -surfn8-
    "I am having quite a bit of knock in the suspension, and I road another Czar yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sure Turner will be making it right soon! Is anyone else hearing this as well? It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance, but people sure know when I am coming up behind them "

It's probably the XX1 derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am having quite a bit of knock in the suspension, and I road another Czar yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sure Turner will be making it right soon! Is anyone else hearing this as well?
    Have you checked the headset and bottom bracket? Have you tried cycling the suspension with the bike in a stand? (let air out of shock) Checked the chain clearances? Is your cluster on correctly?

Carbon acts like a megaphone for unwanted noises. When my chain slaps on a rough section it sounds like the bike snapped in two. I also had a loose headset and it sounded gawdawefull.

Currently no knocking sounds coming from my Czar, though I am not all that sure because the I9 hub is so freakin' loud.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Godamn that I9 hub is starting to bug me. Otherwise the bike is perfect

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by 7HVN View Post
    -surfn8-
    "I am having quite a bit of knock in the suspension, and I road another Czar yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sure Turner will be making it right soon! Is anyone else hearing this as well? It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance, but people sure know when I am coming up behind them "

It's probably the XX1 derailleur.
    I've seen a number of threads about SRAM Type 2 RDs knocking, even on hardtails. Apparently regreasing the roller bearing clutch helps solve it.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

mtbr member
    Does the Czar have the ability for stealth cable routing for a dropper seatpost?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
    Does the Czar have the ability for stealth cable routing for a dropper seatpost?
    Nope - routing is via mounts on underside of top tube

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I finally received all the parts for my Czar. Black frame size large.

Full XTR build. XTR Trail brakes and I-Spec shifters. 2014 100 MM SID RCT3 Fork.
    Race Face Next SL 2x10 26/38 cranks with RF bottom bracket.
    Eason C90 bar with Syntace stem.
    Wheels are custom built by LBS. Chinese carbon rims, Sapim carbon spokes. American Classic 225 hubs.
    Rocket Ron 2.25 tires.
    WTB Pure V saddle. Thomson Masterpiece seat post.

22.32 Lbs.

The Czar is incredible. I have a Tallboy Carbon which I will now be selling. I have really enjoyed the TBc but the Czar simply does everything better.

mtbr member
    Loving my new 2 wheeler, thanks Doug @ NOtB for talking me into it!

My build is:

RockShox SID RCT3 fork (normal offset)
    XX1 Drivetrain (with 168 Q Factor cranks)
    XO Trail brakes
    Stans wheels (soon to be Crank Bros Cobalt's as soon as they get the XX1 Driver for their wheels)
    Crank Bros Cobalt Stem, Bars, Seatpost, Pedals
    Chris Kink Bottom Bracket
    Cane Creek 110 Headset

Weight with pedals and bottle cage @ just over 24 lbs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drive side profile.jpg 
Views:	1331 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	818199

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	818200

I am coming off a Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon HT, so this is a dream, and outperforms on anythign but a smooth fireroad climb. Even then, i am amazed at how well the Czar does!

99% sure this is the XX1 RD and not the suspension. Known issue with them. You can lube it and it will go away for a while. No permanent fix currently. Ride faster and you won't hear it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    99% sure this is the XX1 RD and not the suspension. Known issue with them. You can lube it and it will go away for a while. No permanent fix currently. Ride faster and you won't hear it!
    Thanks SP for the suggestion, I am seeing lots of issues with this RD as well. Thankfully DT gave me some suggestions which worked for getting rid of the knock i was hearing. The 2 bolts down by the BB were dry, so I pulled them out, lubed em up with some red devil lube, and this seems to have quieted it up for now.
    Now, 200 miles later, i am getting some new creaks (similar to what i heard on the test ride bike), so the saga continues...this might be the RD since that bike had XX1 a well

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Can anyone tell me what the size limit is for pics so I can post up the new Czar? I got them down to 37K and still would not post. Jpegs. The 2014 SID looks awesome with black stanchions on the black Czar.

Supersonic Garfield

Czar Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzydogg View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the size limit is for pics so I can post up the new Czar? I got them down to 37K and still would not post. Jpegs. The 2014 SID looks awesome with black stanchions on the black Czar.
    Some forums have issues with fileendings in capital letters, sure they are .jpg and not .JPG?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How is tire clearance? Webpage says 2.25 comfortably. Is this accurate? Any chance for anything bigger? Can't find any pics or discussion.

Over the Hill
    2.35 UST Nobby Nic on the back with room to spare.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Good to hear. Have an XL on order, but won't be able to build it up until the off season. Going to be a looong winter...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Wink

Omg
    Last edited by westin; 11-02-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Thanks to Turner Bikes for creating such a great frame. I've been waiting a very long time to build up my ultimate XC bike.

Bike setup:
    * Frame Size & Color: Large Czar, Clear (black uni CF)
    * Rear Shock: Fox CTD w/Kashima coat
    * Fork: RockShox SID World Cup XX
    * Brakes: Shimano XTR Race
    * Shifter: SRAM XX w/Problem Solvers Mismatch adapters
    * Cranks: SRAM X.0
    * Chainring: SRAM 38/24 w/bash
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX
    * Pedals: Time ATAC Titan Carbon
    * Stem: Thomson X4 90mm x 10°
    * Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite XC low-rise
    * Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    * Saddle: WTB Rocket V
    * Bottom Bracket: Chris King BB30, red
    * Cassette: SRAM X.0 11-36 10 speed
    * Headset: Chris King Inset 44/56, red
    * Grips: ESI Chunky
    * Front Tire: Racing Ralph 29x2.1
    * Front Rim: Enve XC
    * Front Hub: DT Swiss 240s OS w/15mm thru-axle
    * Rear Tire: Racing Ralph 29x2.1
    * Rear Rim: Enve XC
    * Rear Hub: DT Swiss 240s Centerlock

* Future changes: Little longer stem (100mm) with zero rise, second set of wheels with wider rims and more aggressive tires

*Rider Setup
    *Weight: 205 lbs.
    *Height: 5'10"

The weight shown is without pedals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Wow, that's an amazing build. It's crazy that you can now get a full squish 29er down to close to 23 pounds. I have a black XL on order. Hope it arrives soon. Going with Sid RCT3, building up some wheels with the Derby rims.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Wow, that's an amazing build. It's crazy that you can now get a full squish 29er down to close to 23 pounds. I have a black XL on order. Hope it arrives soon. Going with Sid RCT3, building up some wheels with the Derby rims.
    Thanks. I've been acquiring the parts for the past couple of bike builds to get to this point. The thing I'm happy about is that I can feel confident that it will hold up to whatever abuse I'm capable of putting it through (which isn't much compared to a lot of people), and still be so light.

Good call on the Derby rims. I'm thinking of building a set of those for the Sultan and setting up the Edge AM wheels that are presently on the Sultan for use on the Czar. That may be a while, since the wallet is still recovering from the beat down that it's taken from this build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Exactly. You don't really have any weight weenie parts, yet still light and rugged. Jealous that you're able to ride it. I heard late fall for XLs, and by that time I'll likely be riding the fat bike. So spring it is.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post

The weight shown is without pedals.
    Perfect!!

This was mine with dropper post and pedals with almost the identical build kit. Remarkable how light these bikes can be built

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Buddy was looking at this build thread and commented how his new Rocky Mountain Element 999RSL frame is about a pound less than the Czar. I'd talk smack to him, but he's an accomplished endurance racer and has had more bad days on the bike than I've had total days. Damn him.

Supersonic Garfield
    The Czar is lightweight, but is not pushing the boundaries in terms of low frame weight. For most of us, a pound means nothing on a frame. I have not ridden a Czar yet, but I am pretty sure that pound comes in handy and is felt in the solid ride that Turners are known for.

A frame that is really pushing is these days is the trek SF100 (sub 2kg), and from the reports I am hearing it could be stiffer. Older versions usually crack.

I am coming from a Large Epic FSR 29 S-works (2.3ish kg), and that is one solid ride. Direct, stiff, tough. I don't think I would ride that bike any faster if it was 300 grams less.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just ordered a CZAR. Very stoked about this! Probably just personal preference but I'm curious if people are building them with riser bars and stems that have some rise? I am more curious on how it might impact handling. Notice that the stock builds come with flat bars. thx for the thoughts!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm using Easton EC90 SL riser bars and a Syntace 6 degree stem to great effect. Handling is very crisp and no hand/wrist fatigue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzydogg View Post
    I'm using Easton EC90 SL riser bars and a Syntace 6 degree stem to great effect. Handling is very crisp and no hand/wrist fatigue.

nice to hear. Seems like either way is a good choice and just comes down to preference. I am thinking I don't want to be too upright so may go flat. Maybe even invert the stem for a negative drop???

otherwise stoked for my bike. Ordering through Chad and the good folks at Red Barn Bikes. Heard the frame may not be at the shop until later in October.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just out of curiosity more than anything (I don't have my Czar frame in hand yet): I know the links and rocker are aluminum, but at the pivots are there aluminum inserts in the carbon?

mtbr member
    My Czar is ordered...now it is time to sit and wait

XX1
    Thomson Elite Stem and Seatpost
    Thomson Carbon Flat Bar
    Hope Race Evo X2 brakes with floating rotors
    Nox Composites Wheels with Industry 9 hubs (black)
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron SnakeSkin 2.25 front and rear
    Chris King Headset
    Pics soon, I hope!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Just out of curiosity more than anything (I don't have my Czar frame in hand yet): I know the links and rocker are aluminum, but at the pivots are there aluminum inserts in the carbon?
    I dismantled my dw lower link and the Igus bushes appear to be pressed into an aluminium tube bonded into the carbon, which is the right way of doing it. Looks durable, the link is milled from one piece, steel thread inserts for strength. Haven't had any of the others apart yet so can't confirm but would expect the same for the main rocker.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great, good to hear. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My Med Czar build as it sits now.

Enve sweep bars
    Fox FIT 32 CTD
    Thomson 100 10deg Stem
    XTR pedals
    SiSl2 cranks 32 tooth xx1 ring
    King BB
    Cane Creek 110 Headset
    XX1 rear der
    Thomson masterpiece set post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Czar Build Thread-img_2178.jpg  

Parlee Z5
    Alliance 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Building my friend's up tomorrow.

Black frame with 100mm SID RCT3, Praxis Conversion, Cane Creek hs
    Performance brand Forte Oversize stem, 100mm, 108 grams for $24!
    4ti pedals
    Whisky No. 7 740mm carbon, WCS Ergo foam grips
    XTR crank and chain, 34T WolfTooth with XX1 trigger setup
    Specialized 143 Henge ti
    2013 Roval SL wheelset
    Masterpiece post

mtbr member
    Hey guys I a favour.
    Looking at my current ride, the large Czar seems to be a closer fit than the XL. I'm 6'1. Current bike (C'dale Scalpel) has a 24.3tt and I'm using a straight post with a 110stem, bar is level with saddle-which I don't like for xc racing. With the large Czar I could go with a set back post and still be in the cockpit. Can anyone post a pic of their large Czar with the saddle set at 31.5" and measure the difference between the saddle and bar height, as well as stack and reach. I've no chance to do a test ride. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have no reach and stack measurements to offer, but I'm 6'2" with short legs, long torso, and can't imagine moving down to a large frame.

With a slammed stem, ~31" seat height, and a 6 degree negative rise stem, my bars are about 1.5" below the seat height.

Every Turner I've owned over the years (XCE, 5 Spot, Sultan V.1, Sultan V.2, and Czar) has ridden and handled better with a straight seatpost than setback. IMO, the Czar especially, since the short stays tuck the rear wheel under you more, so you're already a bit "back" on the bike.

Maybe the Turner guys will replace the "tbd" for reach and stack on the website soon. A reminder email probably wouldn't hurt!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Folks don't set their saddle fore/aft relative to the bottom bracket anymore?
    God hates figs. Luke 13:6-9

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Probably wouldn't help; my email and phone message were never returned.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    A reminder email probably wouldn't hurt!

mtbr member

Czar Build Thread

Frosty Czar build

First a stick in the sand. Weight fully built.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381276479.748111.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  23.6 KB

Frame. Large Czar 2013 orange

Fork. Fox Factory Series Fit CTD 100mm Kashima, 51mm

Headset. Cane Creek 40

Stem. Thomson x4 100mm -10 deg

Seatpost. Thomson Masterpiece

Seat. WTB silverado

Bars. Ritchey WCS Carbon flat sweep

Shifter. SRAM Gripshift 10 speed

Brakes. Formula R1 racing 160 formula rotors

Grips. SRAM Gripshift and eSi chunky

Rear d. SRAM X0 10 spd, mid cage

Chain. Dura Ace 10 speed

Cassette. Shimano 11-36 XTR

BB. Chris King PF30

Crankset. SRAM X01 32, 175mm

Pedals. Time ATAC carbon Ti

Wheels. Stans Crest

Tires. Specialized Fast Trax 2.0 s-work rear, 2.2 control Front, both tubeless with 1.5 cups so stans in each

Cage. King Ti

Other. Hope seat collar. Carbon headset spacer. Self amalgamating stay tape, E.13 xcx direct mount chain guard.

I will post pictures soon. This bike will easily be sub 23 lbs if I trim the brake cables, go s-works fast track front, less stans, and ditch the chain guard (will when I get a XO clutch rear d).

First big ride later today. First round the block impressions are that it is a tight build, routing etc is very nice. Feels smaller than my large Sultan. Will likely lower stem height. The suspension is will balanced. The rear feels very stiff. As does bb.

Only thing that bugged me in the build was the cranks. The preload dial seems hard to set. It did not seem to clearly move in or out. Almost like it was threaded. I wound it out. The tried to spin it in and it seem to grab. Anyway I set it where I best thought I could but it isn't clear I have a perfect set crank. Hmmm....

Love the Cane creek forty hs and the Chirs King BB is superior. The Fox forks seem to be lower quality than past years and models. Lots of sticktion as well. Are they made in Asia now?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Czar Build Thread-image.jpg  

Last edited by Coldass; 10-08-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Add picture

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldass View Post
    The Fox forks seem to be lower quality than past years and models. Lots of sticktion as well. Are they made in Asia now?
    That bike, at that weight, will leave you no excuses but yourself. For me, a sometimes scary thought!

I've had both a new Fox 100 and 120 on my Czar. The 100 was beautiful out of the box. Butter. The 120 was sticky. Turned out that the foam donuts beneath the caps were bone dry. Lubed them up with fork oil, and butter was had again.

I've been a Fox fan for a long time, but have now gone from getting about 6 months from a crown assembly before the legs start creaking in the crown to less than 3 months. Fox has always taken care of this, but it is getting tiresome.

But I do ride a lot, and I weigh 195, so I kind of understand this with the 32 mm forks, but I just sent back my first 34 with the same problem.............

mtbr member
    Kosmo yeah it is light for a SF 29er. It is lighter than my Yeti Big Top hard tail. Think I'll be selling that with this in the shed.

I have dripped some of the fox blue oil on the stanchions and cycled. It is working and freeing up. Still think the quality is average for a top end fork. Decals even are poor quality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldass View Post
    Still think the quality is average for a top end fork. Decals even are poor quality.
    Agreed, but you really need to pop the rubber covers up in order to saturate those (IMO) cheesy foam donuts.

mtbr member

Czar Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Agreed, but you really need to pop the rubber covers up in order to saturate those (IMO) cheesy foam donuts.
    Thanks will do that now.

mtbr member

Czar Build Thread

My Czar arrived today!

XX1
    Thomson bar, stem, seatpost
    Hope Race Evo X2 brakes with floating rotors
    Nox Composites wheels with I9 hubs
    Rocket Ron Snakeskin front and rear
    Fox 100 CTD remote 51mm fork
    ESI chunky grips
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle