Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Czar Build Thread

There are a number of them out there now, post them up!

Bought the frame and fork through North of the Border after riding a demo back in April. First ride yesterday was awesome. Love how stable the pedaling platform is and the geometry for descending.

Frame: Large (I am 5' 10")
    Fork: 2013 Fox Float, Kashima, 100mm, 51mm offset (bought through Turner)
    Headset: Cane Creek 110
    Stem: Thomson 90mm, 0 rise
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Seat: WTB Devo Ti
    Bars: Enve
    Shifters: XTR
    Brakes: Magura MT6, 180 Front Rotor, 160 Rear
    Grips: ODI Ruffian with Turner clamps
    Front D: XTR
    Rear D: XTR Clutch
    Chain: XTR
    Cassette: XT
    BB: Praxis - PF30 for Shimano (really happy with this choice)
    Cranks: XTR Triple
    Pedals: Time ATAC
    Wheels: Stans Arch with Stans hubs
    Tires: Conti Mountain King, Protection with Black Chili
    Cage: Lezyne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Czar Build Thread-rsz_shot_2.jpg  

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Looks good! I need to find out where I'm at in the queue for a large, black Czar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice build - how do you like the mt6's? I have been using magura's for awhile but I am tempted buy the xtr's power.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    Nice build - how do you like the mt6's? I have been using magura's for awhile but I am tempted buy the xtr's power.
    They are getting better. After four rides they are getting stronger. The rotors were used with another brake set so it is taking some time for them to bed in with the Magura pads. I am going to give them a couple more weeks before I decide if I like them or not. If not I will be going to Shimano. You can't beat their power but the Maguras are certainly light. What model of Magura are you running? What's been your experience?

Also... Where's all the Czar builds? You guys too busy riding?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I have a super long thread in the 29er forum about this but its the stock xx1 Czar with Enve xc. All I'd do is x-post a link here
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jhardeman View Post
    They are getting better. After four rides they are getting stronger. The rotors were used with another brake set so it is taking some time for them to bed in with the Magura pads. I am going to give them a couple more weeks before I decide if I like them or not. If not I will be going to Shimano. You can't beat their power but the Maguras are certainly light. What model of Magura are you running? What's been your experience?

Also... Where's all the Czar builds? You guys too busy riding?

I have been using the Marta sl's for a long time, they are easy to work on and Magura tech support has been excellent. The modulation is outstanding but the stopping power could be better in comparison to the new Shimano's.

Enjoy that Czar - A Czar and Flux demo will most likely result in a new frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Loving my new 2 wheeler, thanks Doug @ NOtB for talking me into it!

My build is:

RockShox SID RCT3 fork (normal offset)
    XX1 Drivetrain (with 168 Q Factor cranks)
    XO Trail brakes
    Stans wheels (soon to be Crank Bros Cobalt's as soon as they get the XX1 Driver for their wheels)
    Crank Bros Cobalt Stem, Bars, Seatpost, Pedals
    Chris Kink Bottom Bracket
    Cane Creek 110 Headset

Weight with pedals and bottle cage @ just over 24 lbs. Czar Build Thread-drive-side-profile.jpg

Czar Build Thread-front.jpg

I am coming off a Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon HT, so this is a dream, and outperforms on anythign but a smooth fireroad climb. Even then, i am amazed at how well the Czar does!

I am having quite a bit of knock in the suspension, and I road another Czar yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sure Turner will be making it right soon! Is anyone else hearing this as well? It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance, but people sure know when I am coming up behind them

All in all, I'm a pretty stoked consumer!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by surfn8 View Post
    I am having quite a bit of knock in the suspension, and I road another Czar yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sure Turner will be making it right soon! Is anyone else hearing this as well? It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance, but people sure know when I am coming up behind them

Re the suspension knock. I used a grease gun to squirt some more grease into the nipples at the BB and it solved that issue

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Re the suspension knock. I used a grease gun to squirt some more grease into the nipples at the BB and it solved that issue

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it, and rode it around the block and cycled through the travel a bunch of times. There was definately grease coming out through the other side bushings.

Czar Build Thread-grease.jpg

The knock is still there...
    I'll see it goes away during my next outing.

mtbr member
    -surfn8-
    "I am having quite a bit of knock in the suspension, and I road another Czar yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sure Turner will be making it right soon! Is anyone else hearing this as well? It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance, but people sure know when I am coming up behind them "

It's probably the XX1 derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am having quite a bit of knock in the suspension, and I road another Czar yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sure Turner will be making it right soon! Is anyone else hearing this as well?
    Have you checked the headset and bottom bracket? Have you tried cycling the suspension with the bike in a stand? (let air out of shock) Checked the chain clearances? Is your cluster on correctly?

Carbon acts like a megaphone for unwanted noises. When my chain slaps on a rough section it sounds like the bike snapped in two. I also had a loose headset and it sounded gawdawefull.

Currently no knocking sounds coming from my Czar, though I am not all that sure because the I9 hub is so freakin' loud.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Godamn that I9 hub is starting to bug me. Otherwise the bike is perfect

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by 7HVN View Post
    -surfn8-
    "I am having quite a bit of knock in the suspension, and I road another Czar yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sure Turner will be making it right soon! Is anyone else hearing this as well? It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance, but people sure know when I am coming up behind them "

It's probably the XX1 derailleur.
    I've seen a number of threads about SRAM Type 2 RDs knocking, even on hardtails. Apparently regreasing the roller bearing clutch helps solve it.

mtbr member
    Does the Czar have the ability for stealth cable routing for a dropper seatpost?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
    Does the Czar have the ability for stealth cable routing for a dropper seatpost?
    Nope - routing is via mounts on underside of top tube

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I finally received all the parts for my Czar. Black frame size large.

Full XTR build. XTR Trail brakes and I-Spec shifters. 2014 100 MM SID RCT3 Fork.
    Race Face Next SL 2x10 26/38 cranks with RF bottom bracket.
    Eason C90 bar with Syntace stem.
    Wheels are custom built by LBS. Chinese carbon rims, Sapim carbon spokes. American Classic 225 hubs.
    Rocket Ron 2.25 tires.
    WTB Pure V saddle. Thomson Masterpiece seat post.

22.32 Lbs.

The Czar is incredible. I have a Tallboy Carbon which I will now be selling. I have really enjoyed the TBc but the Czar simply does everything better.

mtbr member
    Loving my new 2 wheeler, thanks Doug @ NOtB for talking me into it!

My build is:

RockShox SID RCT3 fork (normal offset)
    XX1 Drivetrain (with 168 Q Factor cranks)
    XO Trail brakes
    Stans wheels (soon to be Crank Bros Cobalt's as soon as they get the XX1 Driver for their wheels)
    Crank Bros Cobalt Stem, Bars, Seatpost, Pedals
    Chris Kink Bottom Bracket
    Cane Creek 110 Headset

Weight with pedals and bottle cage @ just over 24 lbs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drive side profile.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	818199

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	818200

I am coming off a Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon HT, so this is a dream, and outperforms on anythign but a smooth fireroad climb. Even then, i am amazed at how well the Czar does!

99% sure this is the XX1 RD and not the suspension. Known issue with them. You can lube it and it will go away for a while. No permanent fix currently. Ride faster and you won't hear it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    99% sure this is the XX1 RD and not the suspension. Known issue with them. You can lube it and it will go away for a while. No permanent fix currently. Ride faster and you won't hear it!
    Thanks SP for the suggestion, I am seeing lots of issues with this RD as well. Thankfully DT gave me some suggestions which worked for getting rid of the knock i was hearing. The 2 bolts down by the BB were dry, so I pulled them out, lubed em up with some red devil lube, and this seems to have quieted it up for now.
    Now, 200 miles later, i am getting some new creaks (similar to what i heard on the test ride bike), so the saga continues...this might be the RD since that bike had XX1 a well

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Can anyone tell me what the size limit is for pics so I can post up the new Czar? I got them down to 37K and still would not post. Jpegs. The 2014 SID looks awesome with black stanchions on the black Czar.

Supersonic Garfield

Czar Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzydogg View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the size limit is for pics so I can post up the new Czar? I got them down to 37K and still would not post. Jpegs. The 2014 SID looks awesome with black stanchions on the black Czar.
    Some forums have issues with fileendings in capital letters, sure they are .jpg and not .JPG?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How is tire clearance? Webpage says 2.25 comfortably. Is this accurate? Any chance for anything bigger? Can't find any pics or discussion.

Over the Hill
    2.35 UST Nobby Nic on the back with room to spare.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Good to hear. Have an XL on order, but won't be able to build it up until the off season. Going to be a looong winter...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Wink

Omg
    Last edited by westin; 11-02-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Thanks to Turner Bikes for creating such a great frame. I've been waiting a very long time to build up my ultimate XC bike.

Bike setup:
    * Frame Size & Color: Large Czar, Clear (black uni CF)
    * Rear Shock: Fox CTD w/Kashima coat
    * Fork: RockShox SID World Cup XX
    * Brakes: Shimano XTR Race
    * Shifter: SRAM XX w/Problem Solvers Mismatch adapters
    * Cranks: SRAM X.0
    * Chainring: SRAM 38/24 w/bash
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX
    * Pedals: Time ATAC Titan Carbon
    * Stem: Thomson X4 90mm x 10
    * Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite XC low-rise
    * Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    * Saddle: WTB Rocket V
    * Bottom Bracket: Chris King BB30, red
    * Cassette: SRAM X.0 11-36 10 speed
    * Headset: Chris King Inset 44/56, red
    * Grips: ESI Chunky
    * Front Tire: Racing Ralph 29x2.1
    * Front Rim: Enve XC
    * Front Hub: DT Swiss 240s OS w/15mm thru-axle
    * Rear Tire: Racing Ralph 29x2.1
    * Rear Rim: Enve XC
    * Rear Hub: DT Swiss 240s Centerlock

* Future changes: Little longer stem (100mm) with zero rise, second set of wheels with wider rims and more aggressive tires

*Rider Setup
    *Weight: 205 lbs.
    *Height: 5'10"

The weight shown is without pedals.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast