mtbr member
    Jun 2008

CZAR Build - Black Edition - plus crankset discussion

The latest round of CZARs are filtering their way out of the Turner shop. I had a great Demo on this bike a few months back at North of the Border and have been anxiously waiting for my Large black frame to arrive. Thanks again to Doug & Michael.

Attached are some teaser photos as I get everything ready for the build. My plan was to move over most of my XTR 2x10 kit from my Sultan and mix and match between new and existing stuff.

More info to follow but I think an interesting discussion point will be the fit of various cranksets. The XTR 2x10 980 crankset in the 26/38 combo is very close to the frame, I have the king PF BB and added some spacers but I'm not sure if I can get enough clearance. I also have an XT set which should work because the spacing is actually 2X10 and I may have to look at the sram spacing. I'll post more pictures as things develop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CZAR Build - Black Edition - plus crankset discussion-image.jpeg  

CZAR Build - Black Edition - plus crankset discussion-image-5-.jpeg  

CZAR Build - Black Edition - plus crankset discussion-image-4-.jpeg  

CZAR Build - Black Edition - plus crankset discussion-image-3-.jpeg  

CZAR Build - Black Edition - plus crankset discussion-image-2-.jpeg  

CZAR Build - Black Edition - plus crankset discussion-image-1-.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I also have a Czar Lg black frame on the way to me. Hope to get it this weekend or next week.

I went with full XTR build and Race Face Next SL 2x10 26/38 cranks with the RF PF30 adapter kit. Hoping that works with no spacers. Will find out once build occurs next week if everything arrives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I heard the race face works fine - I would be interested to hear how the race face is holding up. The initial reviews didn't sound good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well I hope they last a little while anyways as they will be brand new going onto new build. Maybe I should have read those initial reviews...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice. I will be picking mine up from NOTB today as well. I am planning on using an XTR 980 triple with Praxis BB.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Did you install the extra delrin spacer on the driveside with the adapters?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Which XTR Front Derailleur are you using for your build? I ordered the M986 Direct Mount for 2X10. Hoping that fits the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    mtnbiker4life: I installed 1, 2.5mm shim on the drive side per king recommendation. I also added a small white spacer to give myself a little extra.

Fuzzydogg: I went with the 986D top pull (direct mount) and so far it looks like it mounts up good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Docklobster - how's the build coming along? My fork just came in from Turner and now just waiting on a new Magura brake line. Hopefully only a couple more days until I am on the trail.

mtbr member
    North of the Boarder has a large czar demo?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sorry for the delay - just getting back from a week up at Mammoth.

Now for the important stuff:

TwoPumpChump: I don't believe NOTB has the demo's any longer but you can throw a leg over mine if you would like - or Give Doug a call and see what he might have.

Back to the XTR 2X10 crankset discussion: I have a few miles on the bike now and with the king PF BB I have been successful in running the crankset. I had just enough clearance on the 38T large ring and just enough purchase on the crank arm threads. Be warned though I only put this on because I already had it from my other bike. If I were ordering new I would consider the RF, E13 or XT crank first. If going with XX or XX1 make sure you get the wide Q factor.

Here are a few teaser shots of the completed CZAR next to my Sultan. I also installed my first dropper post on the Sultan for Mammoth - what a treat that was. No going back now, it performed great.
    CZAR Build - Black Edition - plus crankset discussion-czar-sultan.jpgCZAR Build - Black Edition - plus crankset discussion-sultan.jpg

My cup runneth over
    Definitely keep an eye on the chain stay for any rubbing from those rings (assuming you haven't switched them out). I had about the same clearance on my previous fatbike and the contact eventually weakened the chainstay to where it snapped. Different bike, different rider but it sure looks close - hopefully no issue for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey Docklobster

I've been riding a 2011 Sultan for a couple of years and really like it...except for the weight. The Czar is tempting, but I'm thinking that it may be too much of a strickly XC race type bike, and I'm not loving the idea of going back to 100mm of travel.

Can you comment on Czar vs Sultan and a one-bike solution?

Yes, I want trail riding and carbon and low weight!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Carbon Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch View Post
    Hey Docklobster

I've been riding a 2011 Sultan for a couple of years and really like it...except for the weight. The Czar is tempting, but I'm thinking that it may be too much of a strickly XC race type bike, and I'm not loving the idea of going back to 100mm of travel.

Can you comment on Czar vs Sultan and a one-bike solution?

Yes, I want trail riding and carbon and low weight!

I'm wishing that Dave will build carbon Sultan too in order to lessen the weight. I got 2 Sultans and a carbon will be a good addition to the stable.
    A pound or pound and half less from the current weight will be ideal for a carbon Sultan. Just dreaming and nothing is wrong about it. X-mas is just down the corner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Some ride updates.... Oh and for those interested I finally weighed the finished bike right at 24lbs with pedals and bottle cages.

I put about 50 miles on the CZAR this weekend.

After the first 5 mile ride I checked out the XTR cranks and noticed the slightest rub on the metal chainstay protector so I switched it out with my XT cranks on my Sultan. No problems for the rest of the weekend.

1. Wow fast bike - I didn't really feel that much faster but Strava said I had a bunch of PR's.
    2. I need to be more careful than on my Sultan, I had a couple of pedal strikes working my way through some typical chunk.
    3. Climbs like a goat.

AS for the Czar Vs Sultan and looking for a 1 bike solution: My opinion, not that it should really count for much is that the Czar makes an amazing XC and Endurance race machine. That being said if I wasn't doing any serious racing I would stick with the latest gen Sultan with 140mm fork as the ultimate do it all bike with a light build around 27lbs. As good as the Czar rode it was not near as fun going down as the Sultan - maybe that would be different with 120mm on the front?? Time will tell after a few more miles and a trip to Mammoth to race the Czar at the end of the month.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Yaw, I would just go XT or SLX and call it good. I like Race Face fine but Shimano shifts better and goes on easier. What is not to like except maybe slightly soft rings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I wanted to follow up on this thread with a report on my Czar cranks now that it is on the trail. I built the Czar with Race Face Next SL 2x10 26/38 cranks with the RF PF30 adapter kit and they fit perfectly. I have had no issues with hitting the frame nor any reliability issues with the cranks (its early in lifecycle). The RF PF30 fit with no issues and the entire assembly is totally silent. It shifts beautifully with XTR. In sum, extremely happy with this set up and recommend it for others seeking a really light build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    On a related note, the Wheels Mfg. adapter for my XT crank was never perfect, and died quickly.

The replacement Praxis appears superior in every regard, and is spinning like a pinwheel in a hurricane after around 30 hours of use.

And the bike continues to kill it (currently with a 120 fork)!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    On a related note, the Wheels Mfg. adapter for my XT crank was never perfect, and died quickly.

The replacement Praxis appears superior in every regard, and is spinning like a pinwheel in a hurricane after around 30 hours of use.

And the bike continues to kill it (currently with a 120 fork)!
    +1 on the Praxis BB. Mine has been perfect. No issues, super smooth.