mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Czar Build: Anyone Using Sram Cranks?

Attempting the use of Sram XO's on the Czar: First the cranks were binding badly. Thankfully, the preload tensioner on the is removable and I picked up 6mm but the spindle length still has almost nothing to spare.

The bearing load problem is fixed but I noticed the non-dive crankarm barely clears the chainstay. I expect my shoe will be scraping.

Any Czar's with Sram cranks out there in Turnerland? Sram cranks incompatible with the Czar frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have sram XO cranks with a wolftooth chaining on my czar. It's great.

You probably have the wrong length spindle? (Short instead of long/PF30)

From wolftooth's site:
    http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/023...g?v=1416065604

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have XX1 cranks on my Czar, no problem at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the info matto6. I thought the GPX cranks were the 24mm dia. for Shimano bb's. My cranks are 30mm dia. but the 95mm spindle length and it's not enough. When I called Sram, they said that the longest 30mm spindle was 95mm for the 2x10. I will inquire about the GPX.

I spoke with Race Face today and their 30mm spindle lengths (Next/SixC) are 109mm with the pre-load adjuster, so that would be an option also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The 1x11 Sram cranks have about a 114mm spindle length without the pre-load adjustment so no problem and a great choice. Unfortunately, I need to compensate for my pathetic fitness level with the 2x10.

Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    I have XX1 cranks on my Czar, no problem at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Czar Build: Anyone Using Sram Cranks?

Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    Thanks for the info matto6. I thought the GPX cranks were the 24mm dia. for Shimano bb's. My cranks are 30mm dia. but the 95mm spindle length and it's not enough. When I called Sram, they said that the longest 30mm spindle was 95mm for the 2x10. I will inquire about the GPX.
    No no, I have the SRAM crank on the right in that picture. It's labeled X0 and is the diameter of bb30, and it's long enough to work in the czar with no problem when running 1x with a direct mount wolf tooth chainrings.

The "gxp" part is wolftooths confusing labeling. They say if you have a long spindle bb30 (which I do) then use the gxp version of their chainring. But it has nothing to do with spindle diameter, it's because itl is 5mm offset to produce a better chain line (50 instead of 55)
    Last edited by matto6; 12-22-2014 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    The "gxp" part is wolftooths confusing labeling. They say if you have a long spindle bb30 (which I do) then use the gap version of their chainring. But it has nothing to do with spindle diameter, it's because itl is 5mm offset to produce a better chain line (50 instead of 55)
    Thanks for the clarification. I have had no luck finding a 30mm xo crank with the longer spindle, a Sram rep told me they don't make them. The only longer spindle 30mm dia. cranks from Sram seem to be oem for Specialized and Cannondale.

Where did you find your long spindle 30mm xo?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I bought off eBay. It said Sram X0 BB30/PF30, 2x10. It fits fine.

However Google is turning up nothing about different spindle lengths, so I'm pretty confused myself now.

Maybe you should post a picture of the crank/spindle you have, on and off the bike, and also measure the spindle length?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The XO I have is the same as in the link you provided, the one on the left. The crank on the right with the longer spindle seems to have a different crank arm shape and they look like aluminum. I'm thinking they are oem cranks like a friend on mine has on his C'dale.

The spindle length on the BB30 XO's is 95mm with the pre-load and 101mm without. This is according to Sram and exactly what I measured.

I'll see it I can figure how to post some pictures and I really appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Solved.

Should have done this in the first place but I deferred to the pro's at Sram when they told me that all XO's had a 95mm spindle length to the pre-load. Not so. Pulled what looks like the exact same BB 30 XO crankset off my wife's bike and there it is, a longer spindle length.

Good grief, can't the bike industry make only one of each version- not a question, we already know the answer.

So yes, versions of the BB30 Sram XO have enough clearance to run 2x10. Mine are enough for 1x10 only so they are going. Looks like I may be riding a Czar soon but not soon enough!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Are you sure you can't run a 2x spider on the short spindle cranks ? Wouldn't the spider just be offset to the rhs ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jekyll View Post
    Are you sure you can't run a 2x spider on the short spindle cranks ? Wouldn't the spider just be offset to the rhs ?
    I don't think it's possible with the shot spindle even with the 104 bcd spider for the smaller tooth rings that allow for more clearance.

Sram recommends that the pre-load adjuster not be removed and there is just not enough spindle length to avoid binding. Second, with the pre-load adjuster removed the cranks will spin but are not centered and the clearance on the non-drive side will cause your shoe to contact the chainstay.

I am inquiring about an all black BB30 XO with the longer spindle from the distributors, Sram told me they are still making the 2x10 for 2015. I will go with Race Face if I can't get the Sram due to immense desire to ride this bike,,,!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Czar Build: Anyone Using Sram Cranks?

Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    Solved.

Should have done this in the first place but I deferred to the pro's at Sram when they told me that all XO's had a 95mm spindle length to the pre-load. Not so. Pulled what looks like the exact same BB 30 XO crankset off my wife's bike and there it is, a longer spindle length.

Good grief, can't the bike industry make only one of each version- not a question, we already know the answer.
    Wow. I'm glad you got it figured out.
    I knew the crank existed, but I was amazed at how little information I was able to find for you on google. The only hits for SRAM long and short spindle were the wolftooth site, and various other people posting about how confused they were.

Did you ever figure out exactly what you have? Was it a road crank or something? Or are there actually two lengths of SRAM mountain X0 cranks that google knows nothing about? If you're ordering a crank how do you know which spindle length you're getting?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Wow.

Did you ever figure out exactly what you have? Was it a road crank or something? Or are there actually two lengths of SRAM mountain X0 cranks that google knows nothing about? If you're ordering a crank how do you know which spindle length you're getting?
    There ARE two different spindle lengths for Sram XO cranks!!! The Sram reps seemed to be as confused as I was, I called again today in an attempt to get a product number that would insure that I was ordering a long spindle length and they were unable to give me one that they were certain of.

I think the only way to be certain is to have a seller measure the spindle length prior to purchase. I am looking for a black on black XO with the long spindle but haven't had any luck - might just go with Race Face due to the versatility but no idea how well they shift.

Your info was spot on and I hope this helps others avoid the problems I've had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We discussed this here and have no idea how you ended up on this rabbit trail. When we ordered XO double they were always the 'right crank' for the bikes and the BBs etc, as we give the parts list to our OE sales rep, he must check the compatibility of crank to BB spec, and the spindles always worked. If that crank you have is from another bike, their product managers probably order from SRAM OE rep for that bikes needs. This would explain why customer service techs in Chicago know nothing about what OE reps and bike companies are buying. Parallel universe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    More like Twilight Zone but I am out for now.

The XO cranks could be OEM spec'd but there was no indication they were sold from another build.

Another learning experience albeit expensive but I am back on track with a switch to Race Face. They have an adaptable system that can configure to the different bb and shell standards.

The Czar build continues...