Dog is my co-pilot

Czar Availability

Are Czar's readily available? I'm looking for an XL frame or xx1 build but a quick internet search turned up empty. I live in SW N.H. and don't have any dealers close to me.
    race bicycles not dogs

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    From what I hear, XL and XXL Czar frames will not be available until sometime this coming spring. Still out in prototype. . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    XL probably September, last I heard (which was in May, so things may have changed). Worth waiting for, IMO. If you don't have any nearby dealers, call Turner next week and start talking about a direct purchase (which they will happily do if there are no dealers nearby).
    Whining is not a strategy.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Czar Availability

DT said late July for XL on the Facebook page

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Placed my order for an XL this past Friday. Now I play the waiting game. Would've ordered from a dealer but nobody even remotely close. Bring on the Czar!

Dog is my co-pilot
    Is there a better number to reach turner at besides the one on they're website? I've called and left a message and e-mailed them and have not gotten any response.
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    XL probably September, last I heard (which was in May, so things may have changed). Worth waiting for, IMO. If you don't have any nearby dealers, call Turner next week and start talking about a direct purchase (which they will happily do if there are no dealers nearby).
    race bicycles not dogs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I pinged Turner this week about XL and XXL availability and they told me they didn't have a firm date yet, but "late September is our best guess."

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm considering a L Czar, but there is nowhere in San Diego to see one, let alone ride one.

Are most people buying these unseen and unridden?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I bought unseen and unridden, and am happy as can be.

Just depends on the type of trail and the type of rider you are.

Is there a dealer near you, or would you buy direct?

mtbr member
    Turner is down your way. Did you call them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well of course. They are only 60 miles from Sand ee eh go.

Give em a call, they are great.

(951) 677-1711

Turner Suspension Bicycles Inc.
    41615 Date St. #105
    Murrieta CA 92562

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Steve, yes most Turner Bikes are bought sight un-seen, weird huh? With 20 years of reputation for exceptional ride quality and service we are able to do most business that way, even if a dealer has never ridden one. that is why we are selling so many bikes direct to the riders, our dealer network is thin. BUT, you happen to live in SD and North of the Border bikes is a dealer. They have no stock because they keep selling them, but, they might have a customers in house to look at. You can also give us a call and come to the Inland Empire (cough cough) and ride one of ours, then buy from Doug. We will not sell into his territory unless you refuse to buy from him, but Doug and Mike rule so that don't happen often.
    DT

mtbr member

Very thin indeed

"our dealer network is thin."

I had an inquiries for the Czar availability and landed price in HK and didn't received a reply for 3 weeks now.
    Hoping I got a good news in the next few days...
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Hey, turnerbikes - do you guys have any kind of military program on your bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bullit, did you contact our HK distributor/dealer?

Skiahh, we do not have a formal program. Send us a copy of one of the other brands military program and we will see if we can match it. Thank you for your service!

DT

mtbr member
    Thanks, turnerbikes! I'll get you the info this week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Bullit, did you contact our HK distributor/dealer?

DT
    Thanks Dave,
    Yes, contacted Probike. the guy in charge of Turner left the shop and all are left are a bunch of roadies who doesn't have idea what is Turner bikes. They even pronounce your name as "Tuna" LOL :-D

Hopefully, we got a reply in the next few days. Looking forward for a black medium and a large for a friend.

Cheers,

Manny

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Thanks Dave,
    Yes, contacted Probike. the guy in charge of Turner left the shop and all are left are a bunch of roadies who doesn't have idea what is Turner bikes. They even pronounce your name as "Tuna" LOL :-D

Hopefully, we got a reply in the next few days. Looking forward for a black medium and a large for a friend.

Cheers,

Manny
    I did no have this kind of experience when I bought my 2012 Turner 5.Spot frame...I exchanged emails with Pro Bike Manager Joe Lau who answered all my queries and was well-accommodated by Patrick Chung when he was still assigned to the Pro Bike Shop in TST ...All I can say is great service..

Even aftermarket sales is top-notch when I needed the rear brake barrel nuts in a hurry, they sold to me the ones fitted on the frames on display in a quickie...

For Turner frames, Joe Lau and Patrick Chung are the best guys to ask..especially Patrick who rides competitively in HKG on board a Turner DHR!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey Recinto View Post
    I did no have this kind of experience when I bought my 2012 Turner 5.Spot frame...I exchanged emails with Pro Bike Manager Joe Lau who answered all my queries and was well-accommodated by Patrick Chung when he was still assigned to the Pro Bike Shop in TST ...All I can say is great service..

Even aftermarket sales is top-notch when I needed the rear brake barrel nuts in a hurry, they sold to me the ones fitted on the frames on display in a quickie...

For Turner frames, Joe Lau and Patrick Chung are the best guys to ask..especially Patrick who rides competitively in HKG on board a Turner DHR!
    They use to be when Patrick was still there, it was all good when I got my Spot too,
    My friend visit the shop last weekend and ask for Turner bikes and nobody seems to know the brand. Kind of strange but I have a very long patience... :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenSD View Post
    I'm considering a L Czar, but there is nowhere in San Diego to see one, let alone ride one.

Are most people buying these unseen and unridden?

Steve,
    I'm up in Carlsbad, and you are more than welcome to come up and check my czar out. It's a large, setup with xx1. Send me a message

I bought mine after a short test ride at north of the border. It is a rocket!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We just got another batch in Monday and they are over sold. So those that don't make it will be rolled to next group.

Over the Hill
    We just got another batch in Monday and they are over sold. So those that don't make it will be rolled to next group.
    Excellent glad they are selling well. Great bike and I feel very lucky to have one.. THX David.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    Excellent glad they are selling well. Great bike and I feel very lucky to have one.. THX David.
    +1 Loving mine too. Puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it. I hope you guys sell a lot of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any XL's in that batch?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No XLs shipping this month. Shit.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Czar Availability

HTFU Dave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No worries. Installed a wider bar and shorter stem and the DW Sultan was crushing it yesterday! Be happy...ride a Turner :-)

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    And I know where one of those is going.

mtbr member
    While waiting,
    Which among Chris King/Canecreek headset fits on your Czar?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    While waiting,
    Which among Chris King/Canecreek headset fits on your Czar?
    Turner Bikes - Czar FAQs

mtbr member
    Ooch! my bad, forgot about the FAQ, Thanks

mtbr member
    Asd
    Last edited by TwoPumpChump; 09-02-2013 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any news on when XLs might ship? I was told late fall. Have one on order (and was told I could get one from the first batch). Probably wont be able to even build it up until the off season, but I'm tired of just reading about the Czar! Want to see it in my basement - ha ha. Used to ride a Flux, then a Yeti for a few years - excited to get back on a Turner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Any news on when XLs might ship? I was told late fall. Have one on order (and was told I could get one from the first batch). Probably wont be able to even build it up until the off season, but I'm tired of just reading about the Czar! Want to see it in my basement - ha ha. Used to ride a Flux, then a Yeti for a few years - excited to get back on a Turner.
    Boy, if you're going to send it to the basement, yours may NEVER ship!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I hear ya. But have to deal with the old lady. She's getting tired of the bikes in the dining room.

Supersonic Garfield
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Anyone know the inside diameter for the seatpost collar? 34.9?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's 30.9.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Or at least 30.9 is the diameter of the seatpost you want to buy for it.

Supersonic Garfield
    I know the seatpost diameter, I need to know what the collar diameter is

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    34.9mm

Supersonic Garfield
    34.9mm
    Thanks!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Any word on availability for XL yet?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free
    Wow, GJ, Fruita, and Moab trails are riding great. This is a killer spring for riding!

mtbr member
    Also timetable for the XXL's?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bump. Waiting on an XL. I was told there might be a more definite date soon. Hopefully DT can chime in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yo!

mtbr member
    Parts are starting to stack up waiting for the release of the XL's.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Still nothing on XXL's ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm wondering how many will impatiently cancel their Czar order and go for a Pivot 429. Several of my riding buds had the 429c as THE bike only to wait a little bit for the Czar.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I went ahead with a Jet9rdo in XL and have really enjoyed it for (3) months, but if the Czar comes in XXL, and gets some "real reviews", I will be placing an order.

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I'm wondering how many will impatiently cancel their Czar order and go for a Pivot 429. Several of my riding buds had the 429c as THE bike only to wait a little bit for the Czar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Okay, I'll ask. What do you mean by "real reviews"?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    and gets some "real reviews", I will be placing an order.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I suppose I could have said "independent" reviews. Also from riders who are using as intended primary purpose….xc racing. Sure, it's great the bike will take 120mm fork and handle more all-mountain / trail conditions, but so will many other bikes….I want XC from mine

Okay, I'll ask. What do you mean by "real reviews"?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Gotcha. Mine will be used purely as a XC racer with 100mm SID RCT3 fork. Cat 1 sufferfests where I can blame the bike and not the rider.

Having said that I'll toss on a Reverb dropper every so often for extended rocky nasty trail rides.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Very cool, look forward to your review.
    I also still have a 2012 Carbon Superfly FS and it's quite different from my Jet9rdo, much softer ride, yet still very fast. I'm think the Czar will perform closer to the Jet9rdo.

Gotcha. Mine will be used purely as a XC racer with 100mm SID RCT3 fork. Cat 1 sufferfests where I can blame the bike and not the rider.

Having said that I'll toss on a Reverb dropper every so often for extended rocky nasty trail rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Some Czar sizes have been experiencing a serious delay. The latest order delayed two months, originally told mid-late October and now late November at best. High demand and slow production or delivery - even with the Air Express - has put dealers in a bind with customers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Kind of funny. FedEx attempted to deliver my friend Dan's black LG frame today, a Saturday (FedEx Home Delivery does Tuesday - Saturday), and we were gift shopping for the kids no one was home, and now the frame is being redelivered on Tuesday. His stare of disbelief at the FedEx tag slip was priceless.

He placed the order September 20th. Funny because he thought the frame would come UPS which is Mon-Friday, and it's no big deal considering roads are icy, trail are frozen and temps in single digits. FedEx is redirecting it to a local hub store and the frame will be picked up Monday, built up and then stared at while the ice and snow accumulate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Will it be a Merry XL Christmas?

mtbr member
    Yes in 2015.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It's getting a little frustrating. I know Turner doesn't want to make any sort of promises when a lot of it is out of their hands, but some sort of update would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    My read on this, and it is just a guess, is that DT has not spent the dollars for tooling on the largest sizes much less figuring out laminate schedules etc... Could very well never happen or be a different animal by the time it does. Get a Ripley and be happy, it is a great ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yep, lots of Ripleys and 429 carbon "back-up" purchases being made. Heck, maybe even Specialized S Works, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Lots of choices, no need bagging on Turner Bikes because we don't have your size and color. Life is too short to sit around whining about availability of any mountain bike, go ride a bike. As for a 'date'? Isn't anyone sick of hearing the 2 weeks 2 weeks 2 weeks yet? I am, and I am trying to get my crew to quit giving any sort of date, because until we have it and it has passed QC it does NOT exist. Not as far as anyone of you wanting to ride one is concerned.

We have already missed delivery dates repeatedly, and that is enough for me to say no more dates, no more predictions. When we have them we have them.
    ie. right now there are frames in customs that have been there 3x longer than the last shipment, and NSA and Customs ain't going to answer a personal call from a peanut sized company like Turner Bikes tell them a MTBR joker doesn't like getting no for an answer. So guess what? buy a Specialized and go for a ride! The rides you miss should not be blamed on me.

DT

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    'Eh, deleted.
    Last edited by westin; 12-17-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Just not worth it

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    The rides you miss should not be blamed on me.

DT
    I hold you personally responsible for how fat I'm getting Dave.

Well, you and the multiple IPA's/night.

:-D

Crazed Country Rebel

Czar Availability

buy a Specialized and go for a ride!

DT
    Don't you blaspheme in here, Dave. Don't you blaspheme!!

Czar Availability-imageuploadedbytapatalk1387292897.630551.jpg
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Over the Hill
    I have bought 3 Turners bikes (Spot, RFX and Czar) and ordered them thru Tani @ The Path well before their release. I do not wait for a bunch of reviews to tell me that Dave built another great bike...I already know I will like it. I also know that if I wait to order until after all the reviews...well I will be waiting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Well, I think that about covers it. I still miss the old RFX sometimes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Pretty classy calling forum members, those who have either spent thousands of dollars paying Turner for the privilege of riding their bikes or want to hand over a big wad of cash but have grown a little impatient, "jokers". Don't recall Scot Nicol having a similar outburst when the Ripley was delayed or Chris Cocalis doing the same when a 650b Pivot was being chanted for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We are doing out best to get product in, and ship it out. There are so many variables outside of our control that predictable is not in the same sentence as delivery. Of course Westin, did not need to take the comment personally when there were certainly others kicking the dead horse of availability.

On another note, I should have said buy a Pivot or Ibis, then I would not have offended IHeart as he has a special place for the big S in his heart, and also supported those classier companies also using the dw-link, which as everyone that has compared knows is hand down better than HL ever was. I merely said the S word as I know they are easy to find in any town, and usually on sale, something that cannot be said for the afore mentioned smaller brands, and since this has turned into a impatience therapy thread easy availability will soothe those in need for a new ride.

DT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I've ridden all those other bikes and I want a Turner Czar. So I will wait. No problem. Merry Christmas Dave and crew!

~~~~~~~~
    Westin, those other guys you mention are just corporate figureheads whose primary concern is keeping the shareholders happy.

mtbr member
    All he!! Is breaking loose in Homerdome....

I "may" replace my Tallboy when the XL's are available.....until then I am going to ride what I have ;-)

Happy trials

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So...anyone...?

tg
    mtbr member
    Sold my XL 08 Flux last week and it kind of freaks me out to know that I don't have a Turner in the hurd.Good thing it's winter in Colo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I understand that it is not nice to give a delivery date if it is not known exactly, but I would like to know the headlines At what time is there best chances for seeing the Czar XL - before or after Marts?

Cycling Enthusiast
    For those continuing to salivate for their XL Czar and questioning the wait I am posting to throw you a pacifier.
    I had an opportunity to demo a L Czar yesterday. Even though I require XL, I wanted to get a feel for the ride geometry, feel and response. I can tell you all it will be worth the wait.
    In the past month I have demo'd a Scott Genius, Pivot Mach 429, Specialized Epic, Cannondale Trigger/Scalpel and will be trying out a Scott Spark and Intense in the next couple of weeks.

I place the Czar at the top of my list!

This is an absolutely beautiful ride. I took it out to Vail Lakes where I will be participating in the 12 hrs of Temecula this month. Having ridden here in the past I knew the course and what my current rides (both hard tails) can and cannot handle. The Czar put them both to shame. I was able to ride faster and with more confidence on the downhills and rock gardens and it climbed like my Spot Honey Badger SS.
    This bike has great power transfer and at 23 lbs was a great build with XX1.

I want to thank Jarett (operations manager) for taking so much time explaining the nuances of Turner bikes and how the Czar came to be. He really went out of his way to make my demo a productive and informative experience.

Remember, patience is a virtue. For those willing to wait all good things come.
    (read as: Gonna see some great stuff/deals at Sea Otter)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    yep the Czar is one special bike! It's almost like cheating I've got close to 2000 miles on mine and it seems to get more fun all the time. Good job DT and team

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hearing good rumours on the XLs...

Also read another great review in What Mountain Bike magazine. Stoked to ride the darn thing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So what rumors are you hearing…I'm hungary for news. Anything about the arrival of the XL?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm hearing those with backorders should be receiving this month..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The last I was told by Turner was late Jan/early Feb. Hope your rumor sources know where of they speak. Unfortunately I bet they don't. Who knows when customs decides to release shipments? In the meantime I sure am hungary for an XL black beauty!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Patience, Grasshopper. You will be glad you waited. I was glad that I kept looking, reading, and demoing. Nothing felt just right for a bike in this price range. They all lacked something. The Czar lacked nothing. In fact it offered way more than I actually expected. It turned quicker than I expected from a 29er, and it was smoother than I expected from a 100mm XC set up, and it climbed better than my hard tail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Indeed patience has been rewarded. My bike has shipped! WhooHoo!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What do you say about my source now? Ha ha. Good news. Hope I hear the same in the next day or two. Been a long wait since I placed my order in August.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I say your source for President! I think you'll have some good news very soon. It would be interesting to know how large a batch of frames made it in but I think it's enough that all current orders will be satisfied.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Look on the bright side, by the time the XL's come out, DT will have worked all the bugs out of the 2013 prototypes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post
    Look on the bright side, by the time the XL's come out, DT will have worked all the bugs out of the 2013 prototypes
    I gotta tell you, if there are any bugs..I can't find them! This bike is awesome as is!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Received my XL Czar today. Looks absolutely stunning! Great timing too as we have a mtn bike trip planned to some warmer destinations. Let the build begin!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Pics please!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Mine came in also. Haven't seen it yet but will get by lbs tomorrow to check it out. Can't wait! Glad to see others posting their's is in. I was not believing there weren't others on this forum.
    No other parts have come in yet. I bet I'm two weeks out at least before I ride this baby. Gonna be a tough two weeks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Found out yesterday mine shipped too! Stoked. Won't be able to get here fast enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So awesome that I sold 4 of my other bikes that became useless and/or redundant after riding my Czar. Can't wait to see what the 2.0 version of Czar is. Maybe carbon rockers/links?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Can't wait to see what the 2.0 version of Czar is.
    No 2.0! I want to be trendy for as long as possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How did you get the RaceFace crank end boots to fit tightly on the XT cranks?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How did you get the RaceFace crank end boots to fit tightly on the XT cranks?
    I'm not sure who that was aimed at as I don't see any mention of crank boots in this thread, but I do have some relevant info.

I originally bought the RaceFace boots and they are a bit big and floppy. They'd stay on and certainly protect the crank, but they may rattle and would probably collect dirt.

I replaced them with a set off these off ebay from seller riderk2007. They took a few weeks to arrive but they fit as advertised.

This picture shows the ebay version on the left, and the RaceFace on the right.

And here it is on the XT M785 crank. It fits snug but not too tight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Found out yesterday mine shipped too! Stoked. Won't be able to get here fast enough.
    Congrats Chunk! I figured the postman had something in his bag for you. Let the builds begin!

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Received my XL Czar today. Looks absolutely stunning! Great timing too as we have a mtn bike trip planned to some warmer destinations. Let the build begin!
    Ermagherd!! Perhst percthures!!!!

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
    I gotta tell you, if there are any bugs..I can't find them! This bike is awesome as is!
    I was being facetious...so stoked the XL's are finally shipping!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I wanted to bump this thread to see if there are any updates on availability, especially XL's. I have called my local dealer (The Path in Tustin, CA) a couple times, and each time I ask they say that they have left messages with Turner to find out the same thing.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Czar Availability

Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    I wanted to bump this thread to see if there are any updates on availability, especially XL's. I have called my local dealer (The Path in Tustin, CA) a couple times, and each time I ask they say that they have left messages with Turner to find out the same thing.
    Ordered my XL and paid in full about 2 months ago, and it shipped yesterday...they explained their hierarchy of priority:

1. Paid in full
    2. Deposit
    3. Waitlist

Not sure how shops factor into the equation; I bought mine straight from Turner.