mtbr member

Cutting RFX seat tube?

Has anyone tried cutting the seat tube on a 06 RFX and what is the best way to do this? I'm looking to trim off about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch at most.
    Transition Covert|Transition Bandit|Transition TR450

not so super...
    Why?

I would think that a dremel or hacksaw and steertube cutting guide would work.

mtbr member
    The seat feels a bit tall with a 4" gravity dropper in extended mode.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    may i ask yer height, inseam and frame size?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    may i ask yer height, inseam and frame size?
    5'8", 30, med rfx

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dhshuttlemonkey
    Um, yeah, hence why I don't have a gravity dropper.

If you went to see a doctor, he'd say to stop using the gravity dropper, not to cut your leg off.

It's probably a bad idea because turners do not use a constant-diameter seat tube. It tapers, and the seatpost is only in contact with the seattube in the top 5 or so inches, so trimming off some distance is going to reduce overlap, no matter what.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Team Blindspot
    I'd try the 3 inch before I took a hack saw to my frame.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    theres 1 good answer. seein as how ya seem to be on the correct size bike, the other is to use a diff adjustable post that uses less room overall to achive the same drop such as the joplin or amp. i dont see cuttin the frame as a option whatsoever.
    No, I'm NOT back!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Oh, the drama!

If you don't want to cut your frame or spend $$$$ on another seatpost, you could just call Gravity dropper and order a new, custom-drilled upper shaft for your seatpost. They are only like $15 if you return your used one- like a "core charge". Put a regular seatpost in to figure out your ideal pedaling seat height, then do the math to figure out what your maximum drop is- then just have the new inner post drilled to that height. Get a second stop for a -1" drop too! (Maybe you already had this). If your max drop is 3", then they probably already have that part in stock & ready to ship.
    Gravity Dropper is extremely helpful with situations like this.

Another option, you might find a different, "flatter" saddle buys you the extra 1/4" you need.

As for cutting your frame, if it's only 1/4" I think it would be fine if done correctly. You'd probably want to cut& drill a longer seat tube slot as well. I would ask Turner instead of us yahoos, they'd probably even do it for you at a very fair price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Shorter cranks may get you a little more clearance if you decide not to cut your frame.

FM
    luxatio erecta

These might help too....

Darth Vader Boot Riser Insoles Be a Taller Vader!
    "These insoles make you 1" taller, but if you use our boots, which already have a 1" heel you will be 2" taller! Please specify size when ordering. These are only available in size 9 & 10, if you have a larger foot than size 10, please order a size 10 as it will still work in your heel area."

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Has anyone tried cutting the seat tube on a 06 RFX and what is the best way to do this? I'm looking to trim off about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch at most.
    As mentioned below, you could get a custom, 3.5in drop inner post, you could get 170mm cranks (5mm less extension is just shy of 1/4in), otherwise, I'd recommend a pipe cutter, but you'll possibly need to enlarge the cut in the seat tube for the collar to work properly.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Why are you considering cutting a ~$2000 part to make a ~$300 part work? I would either take FMs suggestion or get a $30 QR collar.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    i was going to try the same thing so i could slam my seat down more. i was planning on cutting 1" off, extending the slot and drilling a new split stop. i am selling the frame now as my new endorphin is sitting in the stand waiting to be built up. i was going to use a pipe wrap and a grinder with a zip disc to cut it. i don't see why it wouldn't work, but maybe dt can chime in.

mtbr member
    I'm already running 170 XT cranks. The whole reason for the gravity dropper in the first place is for racing Super D and dropping the post on the fly. The guy from gravity dropper was very helpfull and recommended doing a inner post exchange and trying out the 3" or the 4" with a 1" stop before sending back mine. I can go that route but I think a 3" wouldn't be tall enough and I just have to raise the seat post. I called Turner and they said it was ok to cut up to an inch off the seat tube and it will be fine without any other mods. Decisions....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hey DH,
    I cut my wifes frame down a 1/4 inch so she could run a 4" GD and it was easy ( SC superlight) Take some tape and wrap in around to the desired length. Take a new, sharp hack saw and work your way around slowly, take your time. Use a flat file to finish and your good. I would put a standard post in and mesure the height to figure out how much you need to remove. Not worth cutting to find out you need more than you can cut. Its worth the exrta inch of drop and the frame looks stock. I also have no problems with the clamp holding now that it is shorter. Everyone has a different flavor but 4" was perfict for me for super D events.

mtbr member
    Decided to have my LBS take off 1/2" off the seat tube. It feels a whole lot better now.

Last edited by dhshuttlemonkey; 01-30-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I like how the gravity dropper makes your seat higher.

Fail.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    How is it fail? It works for me so that's all that really matters.

mtbr member
    Your first mistake was asking these guys...Turner says it's ok, then it's ok.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

banned
    I did this. After filing I'm right at an inch. What is the purpose of the split stop? To keep the split from extending under loads?

My split came out a bit wider than I had planned (pls don't ask me to explain ) So I rounded out both sides at the bottom of the slot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I did this. After filing I'm right at an inch. What is the purpose of the split stop? To keep the split from extending under loads?
    I believe the split stop is to prevent the tube from cracking under load from the seat clamp. I ended up taking off an inch after I posted the orig pic. After filing and cutting out a new split, it's a bit wider than stock but it works fine.