Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Custom Builds Thread

5K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  jncarpenter 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, let's see those full custom "builds"....just finished putting the final touches on a good days work. Post up your summer projects.........

See less See more
#3 ·
Great stuff, here in Spain the Hardtail boys would freak if they came across a wee bridge like that...

Be a good feeling after building something like that.... All good...:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Whafe said:
Great stuff, here in Spain the Hardtail boys would freak if they came across a wee bridge like that...:thumbsup:
...same here, that's why we made the "sissy" trail seen to the right of the bridge. If I am going to spend all the time & effort building the thing, it has to at least be a little challenging. This one was actually pretty easy @ 18" wide....still has a small pucker factor with the middle getting to 4' in the air. I'm sure the xc weenies will complain about it...:D

#7 · (Edited)
Renegade said:
Jay, is that a bridge, or a catapult?:D If choice 'B', what kind of air can you get?:thumbsup:
....it's actually a teeter-totter with the ends fastened down :thumbsup:

...one thing you can't appreciate from the pics is how far we had to hike in (loaded with tools) just to get to the site.

The bridge has a really nice bend in it that follows the curve of the trail in that spot beautifully....

#10 ·
SHAHEEB said:
awesome jnc!

Did any homers see airwrecks post titled something like "...serial jump killer..." on the DH forum???

there we have some issues...
...yeah, thankfully we don't have any trail nazis. Most of these trails are shared by a local university's XC runners. However, there are some proposed land development efforts underway & we are hoping that the 25 miles of singletrack that occupy the same area will come out mostly unscathed :madmax:

...in the meantime, we build & enjoy what we have while it lasts :thumbsup:

PS...as I passed by the bridge tonite, it seems that many xc weenies are electing to utilize the "sissy" route. It appears to be getting more use than the bridge :D Just wait till the drought ends ;)

#18 ·
Rock Gap rebuild

....this was a sweet jump 7months ago (its about 17ft), somehow it was torn down out of rage. Finally it is 75% back in form, the landing needs to be filled and steepened, the lip is in need of more service.

If you look hard enough you can see it. this is a super dense forest.

Soon there will be about 3 or 4 different jump,stunt lines threading into this section.

Attachments

#19 ·
how come the berm looks so puny in the photos?

red dirt is pure clay, great stuff when it's dry, so easy to build with, but we need those berms to keep you on the trail when it's wet. One down, at least a hundred to go.

planer is on it's way. can't wait to see how it works.

#20 ·
some new features

We nailed a nice trail session the other day in the rain. And this is what we made.

Its pretty tech once you go over the ramp, so you almost have to hop on it, a little tech but too short.

Id show pics of the trail but its a grassy mess from all the cane. the rakemaster will hit it up soon...

Attachments

#23 ·
If a tree falls in the forest...

Make it ride-able! Here's the fruits of my labor from this week.<o></o>
<o></o>
From this approach, if you hit it with speed, you can bypass the log altogether. ;)

Looking back uphill at it&#8230;it's actually easier to climb back uphill on it currently, I need to fix the entrance to the downhill side.

This angle shows some of the log that needs to be flattened out to the right of the dirt ramp. It's hard to get the rear tire on consistently.<o></o>

I also took a few pics of the drop that tore up my shoulder (I finally splurged & bought a cheap camera to bring on the rides since my Canon G5 isn't really packable) :D<o></o>
<o></o>
It's hard to see the line above the drop from this angle (doesn't get ridden much anymore).<o></o>

Here's a shot from above, you can easily see the line up to the lip. It's so steep, even with very little speed you launch way out there.<o></o>
<o></o>
<o>
</o>
<o></o>
Side shot&#8230;.it looks deceptive, really much steeper than it appears. It's probably a good 6 footer. Nothing too tricky, just bad luck on one run at it :(

OK....let's see what you've got ;)

<o></o>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.