Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MBN
    mtbr member

Are Crossmax XL's a good choice for the Six Pack?

I am trying to spec a Pack, and can get a set of new Crossmax XL Disc for 475. Are they up to the job? I am 170 w/ gear, and do mostly 3 to 5 footers. A fair amount of east coast trannys too Im afraid.
    Thanks all.
    D.

mtbr platinum member
    For the price, I would go with a hand built wheelset. You could do something like Hope Pro2 front hub/Bulb rear hub, DT 5.1 (or 6.1) rim, and Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7 spokes and brass nipples for about the same price and much better qualilty. Give Larry at Mountain High Cyclery a call and he'll hook you up with a sweet set.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

banned
    That wheel build would be a big savings, no?

And were the Xmax Xl's the ones that got bad reviews?

Now with flavor!!
    They're good wheels, I've got one rear on my xc bike. I'd have the front too but I've got a maverick fork which needs is own hub. I've had the SLs on the same bike.

They're really stiff so as long as you've got enough air in your tires and aren't riding full on dh bike terrain you'll probably be fine. They're kind of narrow if you want to run big tires though. And you have to deal with frequent hub lubing.........

You could build a stronger wheelset for the same money but you'd miss out on the nice weight of the mavic wheels.

It's funny how people mention the size drops they do as a reference for component strength. Except for one bad case on a wooden landing, every wheel I've killed has been on rocks with my wheels on the ground.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I would agree with the Kid on all counts:

1. Strong, but kinda narrow for Pack-width tires.

2. The freehub sucks. Period. It's weak, and at best, requires a lot of attention in the form of lubing and replacing pawls BEFORE they start failing.

3. Drops don't typically kill wheels. Speedy trips through rock gardens are the ticket.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo

2. The freehub sucks. Period. It's weak, and at best, requires a lot of attention in the form of lubing and replacing pawls BEFORE they start failing.
    Just curious...........what other issues have you had? I have or have had 3 sets of mavic wheels now.......1 XL, 1 Deemax, and 1 SL and other than just having to lube it, I haven't had any problems. You break one of these somewhere?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

banned
    I read in the reviews section that the current DEE MAX isn't as good as the old one?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I read in the reviews section that the current DEE MAX isn't as good as the old one?
    Hard to say which is old and which is new. The 05 wheels have more spokes and a harder rim than the 04s. The 03s were more similar to the 05s making 04 kind of a crap year (even though they looked the best, lacking that ugly ass yellow rim).

I don't knows nuthin bouts the 06 wheels though. Too hard to keep track. Buy some rims and hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Xl

I have had a set for almost 3 years and really think they are a good part. But I would not put them on my RFX, I had them on for a short time and I like my Hadley hub'd hand builts better. The rims are too narrow on the XL's . They are now on my Spot and they work great there.

DT

mtbr member

completely agree

"It's funny how people mention the size drops they do as a reference for component strength. Except for one bad case on a wooden landing, every wheel I've killed has been on rocks with my wheels on the ground". [/QUOTE]

The only time I ever "mangled" a wheel was on a very rocky fairly fast decent. I endoed going pretty hard - landed on my back - my camelbak bladder exploded (and probably saved my back!) and I managed to crack my helmet and destroy the wheel. I still don't know quite how I managed to cause the crash.

MBN
    mtbr member

.....here is the problem.......

I put some heavy wheels on, and next thing ya know, I got a 36lb bike. I dont weigh much...170 w/ gear. I dont go big.....4ftish.....got my eye on a couple 5 footers. I dont do em every time I ride. Is there a bike that weighs 31lbs that fits the bill? I probably dont need a Pack, but everyone says that the Spot aint enuff bike. So I check the 575....same thing.....dont go over 3 feet everyone says. So do I just have to suck it up, and peddle a 35+ pound bike so I can be safe doin 4 footers? Kind of a bummer. Got a 40 -42 lb Bullit, and I will be 41 in April......dont want to hump the weight anymore. I have been around and around on this for weeks. I cant do two bikes. Help!!!!
    Best,
    M

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Just curious...........what other issues have you had? I have or have had 3 sets of mavic wheels now.......1 XL, 1 Deemax, and 1 SL and other than just having to lube it, I haven't had any problems. You break one of these somewhere?
    No firsthand on my bike, but I was about a week from grabbing a set, when two friends -- both a bit lighter and a little less strong -- both started chasing freehub problems with broken pawls, etc. Mavic came through, but it took over a month both times.

I think they would be fine on an xc bike though -- just wouldn't put them on an RFX and head for Moab or St. George.

It's too bad. With a bit more width and a stronger freehub, I don't think you could beat the wheel. Maybe they need an XXL?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Now with flavor!!
    Please..............the size of the ledges you're riding off of has absolutely no bearing on anything.

I did a few real life 7 foot drops on my hardtail over christmas in a freeride park in florida. It had a butter transistion but the 7 foot part doesn't indicate jack because it was so smooth, I'd do it on walmart bike. There were some 2-4 drops I wasn't even considering trying because the landings suck. Those numbers are useless.

Check out the complete specialized enduros. They're around 32lbs and are very tough bikes. Plus they can be made a tad lighter with some part swapping.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    No firsthand on my bike.............

So it was just the pawls? It's the same system from the crossmax sls to the deemaxs so I imagine every one is as weak as the other in that respect.

You're obviously putting more stress on the wheels you climb with more so I guess it makes sense that I've never heard of deemaxs with problems.

I've lost years of my live waiting on mavic before. I guess I should hunt down some pawl pieces for if/when it happens.

Good to know.

I'll be the first to admit though that if you're going to pony up for a mavic wheel set, it's for strength and wieght.........certainly not the badass rear hub.

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    I put some heavy wheels on, and next thing ya know, I got a 36lb bike. I dont weigh much...170 w/ gear. I dont go big.....4ftish.....got my eye on a couple 5 footers. I dont do em every time I ride. Is there a bike that weighs 31lbs that fits the bill? I probably dont need a Pack, but everyone says that the Spot aint enuff bike. So I check the 575....same thing.....dont go over 3 feet everyone says. So do I just have to suck it up, and peddle a 35+ pound bike so I can be safe doin 4 footers? Kind of a bummer. Got a 40 -42 lb Bullit, and I will be 41 in April......dont want to hump the weight anymore. I have been around and around on this for weeks. I cant do two bikes. Help!!!!
    Best,
    M
    Get a 5 Spot. Im your weight (and age +/-) and I've had my spot for over a year and ride pretty rough AM with many 2-3 ft and some 4-5 footers (see my profile pic). its built "heavy" at about 32 lbs and is holding up well. Every now and then i get told that its time to get a rfx but I dont want to go any bigger and i still put in a good fast paced 25-30 km each ride so i dont want the xtra weight. Look at the 5 spot vid on the turner site; if you think your gonna ride rougher than that get an rfx.

banned
    no. there is only one wheelset allowed: Chris King hubs, Marwi Ti spokes, outrageously expensive custom rims.

(ever try thinking for yourself, Sheep?)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    Best,
    M
    cretin.

XC hardtails can handle 4-footers.

admit you bought a 6-Pack to pose. admit it.

thank you.

PS: who is this "everyone" who says the 5-Spot isnt' enough bike? is this the same "everyone" who says that you have to color-coordinate your headset and your spoke nipples? the same "everyone" who says you have to have at least 6" travel to ride smooth bridle paths? the same "everyone" who thinks that all 4-bar bikes ride alike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Yup, it's spring! Gonzo is out of hibernation.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I thought I was abrasive

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Yup, it's spring! Gonzo is out of hibernation.
    Hmmm. Sheep. Wrong forum maybe?

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Anything Crossmax would not be a good choice. After a year of regular riding you might as well toss em in the garbage.

For the money buy a hope wheelset.

Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a set of XL for two years and they are great. I run a Nevagal 2.5 in front and a 2.35 in the back without problem mounting them. I ride very technical trails with DH day here and there. However, I'm around 160 with gear and I never go much more than 3-4 feet in the air. I never even lubed the hub, but I'll do it soon! I would buy these wheels again for sure, they are strong, light and perfect for my riding. A lot of people have problems with the rear hub so maybe I've just been lucky.

MBN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    no. there is only one wheelset allowed: Chris King hubs, Marwi Ti spokes, outrageously expensive custom rims.

............oohhhh you are soooo cool!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Hmmm. Sheep. Wrong forum maybe?

Jaybo
    Cut Gonzo some slack; the guy lives in Montana, right? If he's not skiing or biking, he's probably chasing sheep. Long winters up there I hear. The guy has some stored up wood, and I'm not talking about firewood.

Do It Yourself
    There is a good reason you don't see aftermarket hubs from Mavic. Basically, they can't compete. Crossmax have mediocre hubs at a premium price. In addition to their weak two pawl design, the hubs aren't sealed very well. Also, the low 24 hole spoke count doesn't sit well with me. You would think for that kinda money, they could afford to put 32 spokes per wheel. Also have you priced out what a zircal spoke costs?

Bottom line: You can do better.
    Long Live Long Rides

banned
    Has anyone seen those new Easton wheelsets? They hub kind of resembles the I9 design, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: My mistake. They look like they resemble the X max layout. I also read on the jenson site that they "inherited Velomax", but this was a reference for the road wheels. Don't know about the mtb line.

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/W..._am_havoc.html
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 03-07-2006 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast