mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Creaking horst link pivots....

Anybody else had any issues w/ this? I've taken them apart and re-greased them but it doesn't seem to help.

It only goes (mostly) away if I put an amazing amount of pressure on the QR skewer. Not something I want to do.

Thanks for any insight.

Dave

DGC
    mtbr member

a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Anybody else had any issues w/ this? I've taken them apart and re-greased them but it doesn't seem to help.

It only goes (mostly) away if I put an amazing amount of pressure on the QR skewer. Not something I want to do.

Thanks for any insight.

Dave
    It sounds to me like it might be too tight a fit of the bushings against the frame, but the pivot shaft could also just be too tight. It might need to be reamed out and or sanded. This depends on how tight the pivot is. You would need to take the lower swing arm off as well as the upper stay, but have the Horst pivot together and see how easily it moves in your hands, and you dont want to wrench hard on the bolts, snug is plenty. I would suggest you call Turner directly and ask them about this. Casey or Greg are who you should ask for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks.

I'll pull it apart and take a look @ what you mentioned. I might have been tightening the pivot bolts too much as well. Greg @ Turner also mentioned that if I have the stainless steel bolts they might be stretching. If that's the case he said he would send me some more bolts.

Thanks again.

Dave

mtbr member
    Stainless steel bolts as opposed to what? The horst links use lock nuts and aren't they only 5mm bolts - I wouldn't think you would tighten them enough to strecth any bolt!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well...

I figured it was my massively powerful legs stretching the bolts....

I think there are plated steel bolts, and stainless steel bolts.

Perhaps it's something which happens over time? I agree it seems hard to believe that you could torque the bolts enough to stretch them.

Dave

mtbr member
    I still have in my minds eye being at a motorcycle race and watching a guy (mechanic!?) using an impact tool to tighten the 3mm screws that held the carb top on! I wonder what tightening up the quick release has to do with it? FWIW I changed bottom brackets, rings, cassette, chain, shock bolts attempting to hunt down a creak coming from the back end. Turned out to be the lower pivot by the bb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I had them too tight.

Pulled apart, regreased and snugged them down w/o over-tightening them seemed to fix the problem. Just finished a wet night ride w/o a peep out of them.

Thanks!

Dave

cask conditioned

I was about to say......

Pulled apart, regreased and snugged them down w/o over-tightening them seemed to fix the problem. Just finished a wet night ride w/o a peep out of them.

Thanks!

Dave
    ...... mine have creaked in the past when I've over-tightened them.

Lay off the Levers

New question here.

Thanks!

Dave
    I'm trying to grease my HL's and can't for the life of me get the shafts to come out of the pivots. Any suggestions?

I removed the HL bolts and seal ring but can't seem to push the metal shaft out of the HL.

Also, anyone notice the upper SS pivot (rear of rocker) is much tighter to move than the rocker pivot or the main pivot?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.