Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Crazy Fred's New Custom Turner

We are pleased to announce that fellow Dieselbikes member Crazy Fred is ready to rip this season with his new custom Turner 6 Pack. Nine months in the making and a precision build by JRA Cycles makes this bike possibly the sweetest freeride rig in New England.

Dieselbikes is showcasing this bike because the build has involved JRA Cycles and S&D Powder Coating too whom each have added their own unique touch; making this bike one of a kind. To further enhance the build, this bike will be the instrument to conduct our product testing of Spinergy's Fall Line FR Wheel Sets which they have so gladly provided for this build...read the full story and see more pictures using the link below

http://www.dieselbikes.com/reports/special_reports.htm

For Information Regarding The New England Mountain Bike Scene:
    Visit DIESELBIKES.com

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselbikes
    We are pleased to announce that fellow Dieselbikes member Crazy Fred is ready to rip this season with his new custom Turner 6 Pack. Nine months in the making and a precision build by JRA Cycles makes this bike possibly the sweetest freeride rig in New England.

Besides the painted spring and cranks I don't see anything special in the build that makes this bike qualify for the highlighted statements. You can save the "extreme marketing" for those less familiar to Turner bikes. It is a nice frame but can you explain??
    Last edited by SSINGA; 05-30-2006 at 02:27 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

Not dead yet, just playin
    From the linked "article":

"This Turner is one of the last Hoist link models to roll off the production line"

If you're go to the trouble of kicking the horse one last time, at least spell Horst correctly..

Evidently, the key ingredient to gnar-ness is a white powercoated spring...who knew?

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

Outcast
    Nine months in the making? What the heck took so long?
    If you look in the pack data base in this forum, you'll see lots of nice pack/RFX builds, some nicer than what you're showing us. C'mon, you even have stock suspension components, no hot rod stuff. We've got packs here with Avy's, CCDB's, pushed DHX's, custom rockers, etc. You got a white paint scheme. Wow, I'm impressed .

Oh, and does crazy Fred usually do his hucking without a helmet?

mtbr member
    He has a dubious choice in helmets when he does wear one, he may be a nice chap he rides a Turner after all

The shop is doing the horn blowing.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    He has a dubious choice in helmets when he does wear one, he may be a nice chap he rides a Turner after all

The shop is doing the horn blowing.
    Agreed; if I was Fred, I'd be embarrassed by the write up the shop created. Check out this line; " We at Dieselbikes want to thank Adam Klein at JRA Cycles for taking the time to assembly this bike in a manner that shows quality and workmanship. From the smallest detail to selecting the correct front fork spring...."
    Wow, selecting the correct fork spring. I better get in contact with Adam to get that done right. Jeez.
    Just what kind of headgear is Fred wearing here?:

not so super...
    Hoist link? Is that a variation of the horse link?
    Nothing to see here.

lurker no more
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Agreed; if I was Fred, I'd be embarrassed by the write up the shop created. Check out this line; " We at Dieselbikes want to thank Adam Klein at JRA Cycles for taking the time to assembly this bike in a manner that shows quality and workmanship. From the smallest detail to selecting the correct front fork spring...."
    Wow, selecting the correct fork spring. I better get in contact with Adam to get that done right. Jeez.
    Just what kind of headgear is Fred wearing here?:

I'll second that agreement about the shop blowing its horn a little too loud for something that doesn't seem out of this world. Of course, it is marketing. I think the only thing different there aside from the paint job are the rims from Spinergy. Who knows...maybe they'll be the bomb, but in the meantime perhaps the homers need to descend over there with their custom steeds and show them how its done.

As to the helmet...the shape reminds me of what Sean Connery wore in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade except I think its got a chin strap or is that his beard? Personally, the way crazy Fred rolls w/o a helmet is scary-- I've seen enough head injuries.

Toby Wong?
    CENTRAL PARK, NYC FREERIDERZ ROOLL!!!!!

GRRRR.....CHECK THE WICKED INK AND KANGOL HAT, BEEEYOTCHEZZZZ!!!

lurker no more
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I thought the Hoist link was the New Jersey version.

Outcast
    The hoist link is a location on the bike that the rescue team attaches a winch to when you've really wrecked bad.

Now here's a couple beautiful white packs. Skullcracks:

And Gogge's all avy pack;

Roy
    mtbr member
    A custom paintjob does not equal a custom frame.

mtbr member

Oops sorry Rene

Wrong thread !!

Outcast
    Ahhhhhh, I'm blind!
    That's not crazy Fred, that's the Albino Latino! The famous Mexican wrestler.

mtbr member
    He should stop hiding his black dress socks in his pant's

mtbr member
    Well, if he didn't roll without a helment, he would'nt be CRAZY Fred, now would he?

The shop probably just doubled the amount of hits they normally get, so who can blame them. But this kind of marketing isn't always a good move for a company. Whatever. Without this thread I would have had no knowledge of Crazy Fred - now I don't know him, but I know OF him, which is enough for me.

mtbr member

I don't get it...

What the hell?!? Cut the guy some slack. He hops on and posts some excellent pics of a most excellent Turner, and because the verbiage of the build doesn't suit your protocol you gotta shot him down?!? WTF? I think we're becoming a little too jaded here on the Turner boards. This is the type of thread that used to provide the stoke and passion around here and now all anybody has got to spew is pessimism. What gives? Anyway, it's Gonzo's responsibility to rip on color coordinated bikes.

mtbr member
    That's not crazy Fred, that's the Albino Latino! The famous Mexican wrestler.
    Soon to make his debut in Nacho Libre!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Tis all in jest, Shops are fair game if they are posting Spam, the rider "Crazy Fred" (my Father is called Fred btw) not that it has any relevance, is probably oblivious.

~~~~~~~~
    ready to hit the delete button...

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    What the hell?!? Cut the guy some slack. He hops on and posts some excellent pics of a most excellent Turner, and because the verbiage of the build doesn't suit your protocol you gotta shot him down?!? WTF? I think we're becoming a little too jaded here on the Turner boards. This is the type of thread that used to provide the stoke and passion around here and now all anybody has got to spew is pessimism. What gives? Anyway, it's Gonzo's responsibility to rip on color coordinated bikes.
    I was very polite in my post. I can't help it if the rest of these slackers are rude as he!!.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    OMG, sounds like Dieselbikes walked into the Turner gunfight carrying a nife, nyf, err gnife, ah knive, no .... knife.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

"El Whatever"
    Soon to make his debut in
    There's actually a Mexican wrestler that is a Father (priest) and who runs an Orphanage.

Forgot his alias...

I prefer WWF... it's pathetic, but there are some hot chicks bouncing around.

I was a big fan of Lucha Mexicana when I was a kid...

As for the bike originally posted; yeah, it's very cool. Looks really nice and being it a Turner, it's a great ride... But I was expecting something really custom made (shock, rockers, anodizing, etc.). Kind of bummed after seeing it was just another (yet cool) Turner.
    Check my Site

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    Well, if he didn't roll without a helment, he would'nt be CRAZY Fred, now would he?
    I think the only way Fred could become any crazier would be to get another tribal armband tattoo. Probably the most traffic dieselbikes has seen before.

Nice bike and solid build (not so sure about the spinergy wheels, but whateva), but I have to admit that I was expecting something with more bling. Looks like crazy Fred will be taking the 6 pack off of some nice stuff so good for him.

EBX

3 "fiddy" for short
    He should stop hiding his black dress socks in his pant's

WOW!!!! That comment shows that you are WAY too observant!!!!!!! Although, it was quite funny and fitting.

Too Much Fun

white spokes = krazy fugly

IMHO.

but hey, i'm not krazy fred and its not my bike.
    - -benja- -

long standing member
    ...Shops are fair game if they are posting...
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what the website is saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselbikes
    Who We Are

We are just a group of riders that started this web-site to quietly get into the mountain bike industry. We do not except anything big from this venture but to have fun doing what we love, RIDE OUR BIKES!!!

and

...Someday our goal is to build downhill/freeride bikes and bike components for anyone who wants bulletproof products tested on FLAT DROPS here in New England.
    ...they are not actually a bike shop but a "riding organization" with a website that they use to get publicity to get to demo new (free) stuff. Sounds good to me.

Personally, I don't like the white coil on the rear shock. But I'll take free wheels from Spinergy or anyone else at any time. And I promise to "test" them thoroughly with my 255lbs of "testing equipment".

I dig this vid of "Crazy Fred" dropping off a roof to tranny. It's not often you see a nice roof to tranny drop. He's even wearing a FF helmet in the pic.

Patrick

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ohpossum
    From the linked "article":

"This Turner is one of the last Hoist link models to roll off the production line"

If you're go to the trouble of kicking the horse one last time, at least spell Horst correctly..

Evidently, the key ingredient to gnar-ness is a white powercoated spring...who knew?

op
    Sweet.

So I have an extreme one of a kind custom turner too!

Mine is super special because I'm using a special adaptor to use my IS brakes with my new post mount marzocchi. I even ordered my fork to match my rear shock spring. Can't get any more custom than that.

And...;

For the love of god, get some bigger rotors on that bike!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    By calling it a "hoist link" and "IZT", then Turner doesn't have to pay specialized or tony ellsworth.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Lay off the Levers
    Didn't Davide paint his spring white first?... oh wait, he used tape.

While the post was worded a little over the top and read more like spam than a new build intro, it's a sweet looking bike.

Airwreck...could you use your magical moderator powers and delete the picture of El Chingon from my mind??? I'm never gonna sleep again.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I dig this vid of "Crazy Fred" dropping off a roof to tranny. k
    Upon further review, Fred really does appear to be crazy. That's a sick drop.

Maybe the intentions were on the up and up, and we are just a bunch of jaded dumbasses. Ah well, Fred seems to be too crazy to give a fu*k what a bunch of old washed up losers think anyway.

Maybe I should bash TE or VPP just to set things right around here. Maybe we all just need a group hug. Aqua, care to facilitate?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Dieselbikes is showcasing this bike because the build has involved JRA Cycles and S&D Powder Coating too whom each have added their own unique touch; making this bike one of a kind. To further enhance the build, this bike will be the instrument to conduct our product testing of Spinergy's Fall Line FR Wheel Sets which they have so gladly provided for this build...read the full story and see more pictures using the link below

Nice bike. Crazy Fred needs a set of crazy brakes with some stopping power for a rig like this.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Just curious... what cranks are those? Painted FSAs?

Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    Just curious... what cranks are those? Painted FSAs?

Sounds like it, site mentioned painted Gravity cranks. Look like em too...

Kind agree with Crash that this board has been a little testy of late, but then this post with all its uberhype was kinda lookin to get blasted. It would have been better received on the DH/FR forum

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    Sounds like it, site mentioned painted Gravity cranks. Look like em too...
    Yup, FSA Gravity cranks as said in the Dieselbikes website. I only did a quick scan of it the first time and must've missed that one. Thanks.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what the website is saying...

...they are not actually a bike shop but a "riding organization" with a website that they use to get publicity to get to demo new (free) stuff. Sounds good to me.

Personally, I don't like the white coil on the rear shock. But I'll take free wheels from Spinergy or anyone else at any time. And I promise to "test" them thoroughly with my 255lbs of "testing equipment".

I dig this vid of "Crazy Fred" dropping off a roof to tranny. It's not often you see a nice roof to tranny drop. He's even wearing a FF helmet in the pic.

Patrick

You hit the nail on the head.

Diesel Bikes is a group of riders who share a love of riding and trail building. They do incredible trail work and building in the North of Boston Parks and reservations. They are not a bike shop but a riding club so to speak. Just for the record, Diesel Bikes posted this because of their excitement of a cool bike. No other reason.

JRA Cycles is a Turner dealer and the builder of this particular bike for Fred. That is all. As far as the comment about choosing the correct spring rate for Fred. No this is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But the way it went down was like this. Fox did not send the firm kit like they were supposed to. The shop owner, made things happen that day. I think that is pretty cool .

Greg
    Last edited by yogreg; 05-31-2006 at 10:08 AM.
    Voltron

Toby Wong?
    hey, if Fred and Diesel can take a little fun heckling, then they are all the more welcome here on the board

sh!t, i bet you boyz would be hella fun out on der trails (just wear a helmet, eh?)

Outcast
    My take on Deisel's post, and my apparently mistaken attempt at a little ribbing and humor, is that Deisel was way over the top with his write up about a quite ordinary turner, by most standards. God, if I wrote up come lengthy diatrebe about how glorious my build was, I might come up short desrcibing my ordinary brakes, ho-hum pedals, ancient cranks, even more ancient eight speed powertrain, etc., you'd call bullsh!t on me too. Lighten up folks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Clearly....

Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    You hit the nail on the head.

Diesel Bikes is a group of riders who share a love of riding and trail building. They do incredible trail work and building in the North of Boston Parks and reservations. They are not a bike shop but a riding club so to speak. Just for the record, Diesel Bikes posted this because of their excitement of a cool bike. No other reason.

JRA Cycles is a Turner dealer and the builder of this particular bike for Fred. That is all. As far as the comment about choosing the correct spring rate for Fred. No this is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But the way it went down was like this. Fox did not send the firm kit like they were supposed to. The shop owner, removed the firm spring from his personal bike to make things happen that day. I think that is pretty cool .

Greg

You don't know the secret handshake. Without it, you are only entitled to scorn and derision.

Dave

Toby Wong?
    I might come up short desrcibing my ordinary brakes, ho-hum pedals, ancient cranks, even more ancient eight speed powertrain, etc., you'd call bullsh!t on me too. Lighten up folks!
    8 speed cassette? OMG!

Kangol hats for sale in Aisle 12!
    Last edited by Tappoix; 05-31-2006 at 09:02 AM.

banned
    is that thing dressed up for a Klan rally or something? Aryan Nations meeting?

why the fear of Black or other colors?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Now now....

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    is that thing dressed up for a Klan rally or something? Aryan Nations meeting?

why the fear of Black or other colors?
    Remember, there's room for all shades of Caucasian on gods white rainbow.*

Dave

* A quote from a classic late 90's onion article.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    You don't know the secret handshake. Without it, you are only entitled to scorn and derision.

Dave

my bad.
    Voltron

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Remember, there's room for all shades of Caucasian on gods white rainbow.*

Dave

* A quote from a classic late 90's onion article.
    that was priceless. of course, if it came from the onion, it almost has to be.

banned

riding helmet-free in rocky terrain simply shows what kind of value the rider places on his melon.

the pictures say a lot, but they don't say what the riders think they say.

priceless, but not in a good way.

MBN
    mtbr member
    Fred's bike is sweet! He is very excited about it, and I am happy for him. He's a real good guy and pretty colorful to boot! Its pretty rare to see someone go as big as Fred does. He is one tuff hombre. He is a real good rider and is very passionate about mountian biking. He is always willing to help if you are trying to step up your game. Love the bike Fred!

mtbr member
    All will be forgiven with the homers with the first boat load of action pic's on the Pack. In fact, most likely crazy fred will become a icon or homer i-nation gawd around here with major drop/stunt pic's. The homers will use these pic's against stray Santa Cruz and Ellsworth trolls. The "how big will the Pack go" questions will be directed towards the Crazy Fred/Crazy Turner sticky, and finally, gonzo will be happy!
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

MBN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    All will be forgiven with the homers with the first boat load of action pic's on the Pack. In fact, most likely crazy fred will become a icon or homer i-nation gawd around here with major drop/stunt pic's. The homers will use these pic's against stray Santa Cruz and Ellsworth trolls. The "how big will the Pack go" questions will be directed towards the Crazy Fred/Crazy Turner sticky, and finally, gonzo will be happy!
    Well said Drumstix!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    and finally, gonzo will be happy!
    at last! peace and tranquility in the Homer Nation!

Dishwasher Safe
    Man that things gawdy. I can picture it being ridden in South Beach by someone in matching pastels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast