Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Rocker

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Cracked Rocker

on my 05 medium Flux.It is the left side directly over the fill valve of the RP3 ther are no contact marks either on the fill valve or the rocker. I just noticed this a few minutes ago while inspecting for the cause of a creak that started last night about 3/4 of the way through our tuesday night ride .
    Has anyone else had this problem,and like I stated I just noticed this so I have not contacted Turner yet but will do so tomarrow .

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    this is the 1st ive heard of such a thing. hell, i dont know if ive ever heard of this on any turner rocker this side of a major crash impact. im told dt already knows about yer rocker from his warranty satelite sent up on the last shuttle mission and a replacement is on its way to ya as we speak.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    cracked
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

First try

At posting a pic and the photography is not all that great either but you can clearly see the crack.

mtbr member
    Get the elephant in custody which takes your bike for a round

and stop ridin the damn thin upside down! theres yer culprit!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

So quick to take a bullet for Turner

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    this is the 1st ive heard of such a thing. hell, i dont know if ive ever heard of this on any turner rocker this side of a major crash impact. im told dt already knows about yer rocker from his warranty satelite sent up on the last shuttle mission and a replacement is on its way to ya as we speak.
    Actually this is a problem Turner is aware of. My rockers blew appart on my flux while riding over a small log. Call Greg and Turner he'll take care of you.

I love how people are so fast to come to Turner's defence. I've broken four flux's in the span of a year. Two seat tubes, 1 rocker, one chain stay. The only break Turner said they haven't seen many of before was the chain stay.

Although Turner CS does live up to all the hype.
    Thompson Elite Seat post 27.2 & 28.6
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

funny.... i thought i said this was the 1st I'VE heard of it. heres yer kevlar vest back. i dont need it.

sorry yer breakin frames. thats never fun. but relax just a tad bit, will ya?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    sorry yer breakin frames. thats never fun. but relax just a tad bit, will ya?
    No!
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

fair enough then. by the look of all that xl gear, id hate to pizz ya off and find ya at my door. hehe.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by gregz12
    I've broken four flux's in the span of a year.

Although Turner CS does live up to all the hype.
    Man, that bites. Even if they take care of it each time I think i would lose confidence in the bike eventually and go to something else.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Yeah I'm a fat ass

fair enough then. by the look of all that xl gear, id hate to pizz ya off and find ya at my door. hehe.
    hehe, yeah I'm a fat ass, 6'4 180lb. I should lay off the road racing because I'm getting too fat!
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Man, that bites. Even if they take care of it each time I think i would lose confidence in the bike eventually and go to something else.
    or get a bigger bike, like a Spot.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm not sure I'd be all that confident riding a bike I've broken 4 times in a year. Greg, it would seem that the flux is too light a bike for your riding style (your weight sounds like a non-issue), based on those issues. I'm surprised that Turner hasn't tried to upgrade you to a 5 spot yet.

EB

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    or get a bigger bike, like a Spot.
    Two things:

1. What he said, above, or

2. About the only that crack came about is from HARD bottoming. Maybe a little more pressure in the shock?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

glad you guys said somethin. hes bigger than i am so i kept my mouth shut. get that man a spot toot sweet!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    I'm a little suprised you didn't suggest that he buy a blue '02 RFX... and maybe a pound of hot sand.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 11-09-2006 at 09:40 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by gregz12
    I love how people are so fast to come to Turner's defence.
    Welcome to my nightmare.
    Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 11-09-2006 at 09:52 AM.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Lay off the Levers
    The door's open Dusty. Don't wait for the knob this time mmkay?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm not sure I'd be all that confident riding a bike I've broken 4 times in a year. Greg, it would seem that the flux is too light a bike for your riding style (your weight sounds like a non-issue), based on those issues. I'm surprised that Turner hasn't tried to upgrade you to a 5 spot yet.

EB
    They may have. That's how I went from a Burner to a Spot.
    Don't forget though that the shock from a Flux is too short for a Spot and the fork probably is as well. There is a little money to be spent doing that even though Turner would take care of you on the frame.

Then there's the sturdier wheels, new stem, oversized bars, etc that you'll want to buy afterwards
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Dismay

I guess I am curious as to why the Turner forum shares more of the failures than other brands? Is it because the Turner forum is a tighter community and it is a safe place to share info? Is it because the other small company brands have more aggressive moderators? Is it because other brands have no breakage? Is it because Turner riders are harder riders than other brands for a given bike travel? Am I a dick to my customers so I deserve the nose rubbing?

My thinking is it is the last 2.

DT

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    I guess I am curious as to why the Turner forum shares more of the failures than other brands? Is it because the Turner forum is a tighter community and it is a safe place to share info? Is it because the other small company brands have more aggressive moderators? Is it because other brands have no breakage? Is it because Turner riders are harder riders than other brands for a given bike travel? Am I a dick to my customers so I deserve the nose rubbing?

DT
    Great questions.

(1) Homers, no fault of yours mind you, think they are actually friends with one another and friends share everything. WAY moreso than cultures within other manufacturers' forums. So yes, tighter community in a sense or at least they act that way.

(2) There is no doubt moderating is non existent here (thank God for Aqua and I). In the 29er zealot forum for example, your SPAM posting (even paying the $2 mtbr fee) will literally be a locked thread within 5 minutes max given the moderators. Not a bad thing, just a relevant point. The day Shiggy or cloxxki get a turner is the day this forum will be boring.

(3) I will bet all of aqua's money that on the average, homers are more whiny than other owners. The expecation is so high for Turner bikes that if they hear a creak they will want to post it as a problem since 100% perfection is not achieved.

(4) Homers are know it alls, or wannabee know it alls. Therefore, any time they can post on anything, negative or otherwise, they like to take the opportunity.

(5) I will bet squeak wheel's money that Turner riders are harder on their bikes. The average homer is definitely a better rider than most other brands. The average rider wont even know where to find Turners and will resort to a Specialized etc. if they feel the need to drop $4000.

(6) you are NOT a dick. i am a dick so i would know.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 11-09-2006 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelon
    At posting a pic and the photography is not all that great either but you can clearly see the crack.

Here are some clearer pics of my broken rockers. I know they are kinda on the large side...and yes the bike needs cleaning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Turner and I have sorted it out. I'm confident in the new frame.

There was enough pressure in the shock. I set the bike up pretty stiff for extra peddling efficiency.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the bike wasn't ridden in 5-spot territory. I suspect it's due to the fact XLs have very long tubes. These long tubes exaggerate every stress point. Also I'm tall, and relatively strong, which probably puts extra torque on the frame when railing around corners.

I still recommend Turners to my friends, just because one frame didn't jive with me doesn't mean I'm still not impressed with the company.

I used to ride/race downhill and used to love doing big drops, but have stopped riding that stuff since training takes up too much time. A new frame is a difficult decision which I'm looking forward to making
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes

DT
    Hey Dave,
    I just wanted to let you know this thread wasn't meant to deteriorate into a Turner bashing topic. I am not a blind brand loyalist like lots here; however you have stood behind all of your products and your commitment to customer satisfaction is industry leading. I recommended a Turner to one of my friends yesterday and will continue to do so. The fact is every bike manufacture will have frame failures. How a manufacture deals with these failures is what sets them apart.
    Regards,
    Greg
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast