Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Build More = Ride More

Convert your Kenda Nevegal from zero to HERO!

I've been getting a few personal messages from people asking about the Nevegal mod I mentioned in a thread.

This post shows you an awesome knob removal modification that can be done to the Kenda Nevegal to increase its cornering traction on loose surfaces.

So far I have only done the front tire, with mind blowing results. Simply put, my modified 2.35 Kevlar Nevegal out corners both types (3c and 42a) of 2.5 DH Minions I've been running for a couple of years. Can you say laser-guided-rail-system? I was holding on for dear life my last ride. In fact it's cornering so hard now, that I have super high pressure scratches in my top tube from my leg armor, that were never there before in a year of riding the frame.

I suggest maybe trying to remove every other knob to start and see how that feels. I went straight for all of them, so I have no idea what it would feel like if 50% of them were left on.

Couple of reasons I think it is worth while to try this:
    - Nevegals can be bought cheap.
    - Not only are you increasing cornering traction, but making it roll faster.
    - Better mud shedding.
    - It's considerably lighter than stock.

It might be important to note that the frame (Giant Reign X1) has a 67 degree HA and 32mm wide rims. I would imagine using a narrow rim with the same size tire and cutting the knobs would result in washing out because the outside knobs are folded out too far.

Your mileage may vary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Build More = Ride More
    This is the best tool to use for removing knobs. Took me about 1 hour to do 1 tire.
    Attached Images Attached Images

eBiker
    Nice tire mod. I wouldn't think a gap that big would work so well.

I guessing turns require a decent lean for hook up?

What kind of dirt are you riding?

Time to take a peek at the tire pile with wandering eyes. lol.

Also let us know how the side knobs hold up.

P

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    Nice tire mod. I wouldn't think a gap that big would work so well.

I guessing turns require a decent lean for hook up?

What kind of dirt are you riding?

Time to take a peek at the tire pile with wandering eyes. lol.

Also let us know how the side knobs hold up.

P
    Honestly, I don't notice any drift at all before the knobs hook up. I'm running 30 psi now. That is why I mentioned the rim width though, as a narrower rim would take longer to hook up on the outside knobs. It's still better than stock though. In stock form they never really do "hook up" at all and always want to ride upright and in straight lines.

If this tire can last more than 6 month on the front with no excessive wear, then I'm sold. I can REALLY notice the increased speed though.

Chillin the Most
    Steve Peat ran his Nevs similar to this, except he only removed every other transition knob instead of both. I've tried his mod, worked well, may have to give this a try as well. thanks.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    So you make a Highroller/ADvantage out of a Nevegal? Great mod.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    So you make a Highroller/ADvantage out of a Nevegal? Great mod.

_MK
    I say it actually rides like a mix between a Minion and HighRoller.

I personally like the Sitck-e rubber more than super tacky or 3C. The problem with the Kenda was just in the tread profile itself. Even Eric Carter mentioned somewhere I read once that the Nevegal was designed to be cut for different uses.

If I rode more hard surfaces I would go with every other knob, but I ride in loose crap everywhere in the PNW.

I might try every other one in the rear to see how much speed I gain, but I would be losing a lot of that stupidly amazing braking traction it gives in stock form, along with woodwork grip.

~~~~~~~~
    fyi, Decline mag had a good tire moding instructional article a couple issues ago.

Personally I'm sceptical that a nevegal can be altered to corner as well as a minion, especially a single ply nevy. But seeing as I've got a bunch of nevy's I should give it a try.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Personally I'm sceptical that a nevegal can be altered to corner as well as a minion, especially a single ply nevy. But seeing as I've got a bunch of nevy's I should give it a try.
    Like I said, your mileage may vary.

There are a lot of factors here, mainly rider style. I'm of the sort that likes to charge every berm as fast as bloody hell and throw my body into it with no brakes if possible.

I do notice that the Minion maintains a little more control over hard surfaces than the modded Nevegal, but then again, I'll take less hard surface support for gobs of extra loose surface hold.

There's also the matter of weight. Obviously the cut 2.35 Kevlar Nevegal will be harder to keep on a line with cornering through rocky gnar than the DH Minion, but for regular turns with tons of loose crap, they hold their own. On top of that, the Minions can easily take much harder hits without ripping or flatting. Is a cut Kevlar Nevegal going to replace your DH Minions on the DH/FR bike? Hell no! But it will make your AM bike corner just as well or better in some cases.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Interesting but I fail to see the point. My nevegal knobs always came off on their own.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Looks like a Maxxis Ardent. They have short intermediate knobs.

-Carlos

Flux

Knomer
    So the concept here is to buy a tire that you don't like, on purpose, and then tear a bunch of knobs off in hopes that it will perform like a different tire?
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by los36

That's was what I was going to say.

I think the whole "knob removal" and "tire cyping" (sp?) idea is cool though if you're trying to make an already good tire better for your application.

EB

mtbr member
    Great post , thank you! I have a well worn 2.35 sticky one to try that on some day.

Makes me wonder if I would like the Maxxis Minion Front on the rear better than the Minion Rear on the rear. Hmmmm. or perhaps cut the wider side knobs of the rear to match the narrower side knobs. I think I will try that before retiring that model.

YoPawn; Did you ever try the Kujo? (Dated I know) Wonder your thoughts on that one. Not the most open tread. Even though I'm not the most skilled rider I liked that one for it's "tell" and stability up and down the sides of ruts at speed.

For me at least some tires in the front like to grab the wall of a rut and jerk you right out of it. Same tires tend to have much less "tell" in the corners.

Cheers!

banned
    I have heard of folks running the Minion fr on the back. They say it hooks up well.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I thought that was what everyone did. I sure am, both on DH and trailbike. They are so much more preductable than the "rear" tire. Stick better both up and down on my Spot, corner better on my dh-bike.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Spec Stumpy Comp FSR 29er
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    So the concept here is to buy a tire that you don't like, on purpose, and then tear a bunch of knobs off in hopes that it will perform like a different tire?
    Man, you're really stretching the old trolling line a bit far on that one.

So you bought a frame you never liked the color of, had it stripped down with all of the components to make them match in expensive color, go around blowing your wad about it all over MTBR, and then have the retardation to claim my level of idiocy? Go suck a donkey...

Modding is fun and you of all people should know it.
    Last edited by YoPawn; 03-26-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen
    I thought that was what everyone did. I sure am, both on DH and trailbike. They are so much more preductable than the "rear" tire. Stick better both up and down on my Spot, corner better on my dh-bike.
    Yeah, I think the Minion DHR is garbage. I run the DHF 3C in the rear. While the braking power isn't anything great, like you said, it's mega predictable when kicking it out at 30 MPH.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by los36

I have not ridden that tire, but I hear it doesn't hook up very well does it?

Something that stands out to me is that the transition knobs are angled out and not parallel, thus maybe increasing the chances of the tire lifting and sliding over the side knobs. Another issue I can see is that the side knobs are staggered. While this may help them brake when leaned over, I feel like it will only make the "burning" edge of the inside of the knobs, inconsistent.

Another thing to consider is that the Nevegal mod leaves a little bit of knob left, which may be assisting in limiting the drift before hitting the burning edge of the outside knobs.

With that said, I would still like to try an Ardent for the hell of it. Looks fast!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    I have not ridden that tire, but I hear it doesn't hook up very well does it?

Something that stands out to me is that the transition knobs are angled out and not parallel, thus maybe increasing the chances of the tire lifting and sliding over the side knobs. Another issue I can see is that the side knobs are staggered. While this may help them brake when leaned over, I feel like it will only make the "burning" edge of the inside of the knobs, inconsistent.

Another thing to consider is that the Nevegal mod leaves a little bit of knob left, which may be assisting in limiting the drift before hitting the burning edge of the outside knobs.

With that said, I would still like to try an Ardent for the hell of it. Looks fast!
    In reality, the intermediate knobs are shorter than they appear in the linked image. I've only tried the 29er variant ... and only on the front. It is a fast roller. It hooks up much better when ridden at lower pressures. There is a noticable drift when initiating turns, although once on the edge knobs, it hooks up great. I haven't ridden it in anything other than XC trails (hardpack, sandy, XC-rocky), so take that into consideration.
    -Carlos

Flux

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Yeah, I think the Minion DHR is garbage. I run the DHF 3C in the rear. While the braking power isn't anything great, like you said, it's mega predictable when kicking it out at 30 MPH.
    Wish they made the DHF's in a 29x2.35 version, really liked them on my RFX.

The Ardent in the 29x2.25 does not hookup like the DHF's do.

locked - time out

Cousins

The Kenda El Moco has a similar pattern to the tires mentioned here.

Yo Pawn -

I like you're tire cutting experiment. We ran an article about tire cutting on our blog site and how it specifically relates to Eric Carter's tire, the ExCavator. We plan to do more tire mod articles in the future.

Thanks for sharing!

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by the_colorado_kid

The Kenda El Moco has a similar pattern to the tires mentioned here.

Yo Pawn -

I like you're tire cutting experiment. We ran an article about tire cutting on our blog site and how it specifically relates to Eric Carter's tire, the ExCavator. We plan to do more tire mod articles in the future.

Thanks for sharing!
    Ooooo, that's a good looking tire! I will check it out next time I look into buying new tires.

gravity curmudgeon
    kidwoo has been advocating doing this mod on Nev tires for awhile. I haven't been a fan of the Nevegal tire but have a set lying around and will give this a try for sh1ts and grins.

In the meantime, I'm really digging the Ardent. BTW, the el moco does look interesting. 2.1 DTC and 2.35 Stickie in a folding bead. Might an interesting early season XC tire.