mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Considering XXL Czar Anyone?

I have been demoing 29r's and like the longer tt shorter stem combo. Anyone thinking of ordering the XXL Czar that typically goes with XL to get a longer tt?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I like the idea of the XXL's longer top tube, but the taller head tube would give me handlebar height problems. I'm ALL torso, with little kid-sized legs.

All in all, the XL is damn near perfectly sized for me, especially since I'm old enough and stubborn enough to prefer the way a bike handles with a 100 or 110 stem.

I know, total Luddite, but as Popeye says "I am what I am"!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds like the XL is the size for you - if it feels right that counts for a lot. I have been demoing bikes with longer tt's and it's hard to go back to my shorter tt'd Turners. Doesn't seem like there is much interest in the XXL and all manufactures make frame sizing calls.

What fork length are you using?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    What fork length are you using?
    Mostly the 120. I like the stiffer chassis, extra travel, and high-speed handling aspects it offers. The only significant downside at all is the extra 5 ounces of weight, which is a very worthwhile tradeoff IMO, although the bike does have a lighter, snappier feel with the 100.

No free lunch, but the 120 is on my Czar most of the time, and the 100 never stays long when it actually does get a turn.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Kosmo, any inside scoop on XL and XXL availability ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Kosmo, any inside scoop on XL and XXL availability ?
    Nope, I have nothing to offer in terms of availability.

Maybe DT will chime in when he knows something for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good to know a 120 works well, that would be my choice and I haven't tried using a 120mm fork on a frame designed for 100mm. Now the dilemma of picking a frame though a great problem to have!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If I remember correctly DT said the next shipment of XL's will all go toward back-orders. It doesn't sound like they are keeping ahead of the wave but that's a good problem to have!

Bad news for the XXL - so far just not enough interest so none on order and hence this post. Just not enough taller riders that are going for the longer tt.

mtbr member
    XXL production starting early winter 2015 per email to DT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the info. I am between sizes - a 25" TT on the XL would be perfect but the XXL at 25.5 is pushing it for me even with a short 50-70mm stem.

Maybe using a wider bar will help on the XL, will have to wait until fall for the next run of XL's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I may try the XXL. The XL Czar's TT was just too short for my tastes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    I may try the XXL. The XL Czar's TT was just too short for my tastes.
    I have yet to find anyone over 6'2" on the XL Czar. At 6'2" my 26" XL Flux and 5-Spot are both on the short side for my preference but even after vowing to get an XL 29'r with a 25" tt for a next frame, I'm still going to give the Czar a shot.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

I have yet to find anyone over 6'2" on the XL Czar. At 6'2" my 26" XL Flux and 5-Spot are both on the short side for my preference but even after vowing to get an XL 29'r with a 25" tt for a next frame, I'm still going to give the Czar a shot.
    I'm 6'4" and on an XL Czar...I also have owned an XL 26" Flux, and also have an XL final-gen 5 Spot. I'm pretty balanced between leg and arm length, and find the fit just about perfect. I did, however, move from a 50mm stem to 90mm on the Spot because it made the cockpit feel a little too short...but I also had a bigass 160mm Vengeance Coil on the front end. Now that I have a 150mm Fox on the 5 Spot, I feel like I want to shorten the stem again. Although, with a Czar in the stable, the 5 Spot is pretty much just garage art these days :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The new gen 5 spot XL has a 24.5 tt, I demoed an XXL and liked the tt length but it's an enormous frame and the longer travel bikes are going the shorter stem/wider bar route. I demoed the XL 429c but had to go with a 60mm stem to make it fit, tt is 25.5, same as the XXL Czar.

The XXL Czar has your name on it if they make it to production!

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

The XXL Czar has your name on it if they make it to production!
    My name on it? Pretty sure I'm stoked on the XL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Frankly, the XL Czar's TT of 24.5 is really a size large in a lot of other frames. I ended up settling on the Pivot 429C in an XL. Way better balanced for a long torso long armed rider like me. I do like a lot of things about the Turner bikes though. I'm hoping Dave Czarifies the Sultan.