Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Confessions of a hard tail lover.

870 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  sennaster 
#1 ·
I've been a hard tail, SS, ridged, vintage, 29" retro grouch since the dawn of time. Sure I've owned a few very sweet FS bikes in the past, but for me the love has never been there for the genre. Those bikes never lasted more than a year in my quiver. Last spring, Via E-bay, I scored a barely used mid 2000's Sultan. XTR, King, Easton carbon, Mav SC32 yada-yada. A nice bike indeed. Well that bike had been hanging in the corner of my garage for over a year...until yesterday. There is a local climb that has been kicking my a$$ this season. 10" imbedded rocks perfectly placed 43" apart for a mile. No flow. No perfect line. Never cleaned by me. Not even close. So I took the Sultan down, tuned the shifting and suspension, aired up the tires, lubed the chain and had at it. Yeah. That is one bad a$$ bike.

I still have some set up issues to take care of. The hardtails and ridged bikes are not leaving the quiver. I will never be called a Homer, but I will be taking this beauty out a hell of a lot more from here on out. Yep. Nice bike indeed.

#6 ·
Until I got the Czar last season, that first-version Sultan was my favorite endurance racing bike ever. Superfly 100, Superfly Hard Tail, Epic, Camber, etc., it bested them all in my mind, even if only by a smidge.

One of the guys that helped build my house is still riding the crap out of it on local trails.

Ride it till it dies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.