Certified Moots Whore...

Which Compression & Rebound Settings for an aftermarket 2009 RP23 on a Sultan?

I am updating the suspension on my Sultan this year and wanted some clarity on what people dislike about the "stock" settings on their 2007/2008 RP23's. I have only ridden my Sultan with a Marzocchi Roco Air R and have loved it so far. I just want a shock with a little more platform for xc/am riding.

I believe most people do not have a problem with the lowest setting for rebound, but dislike the compression being at the highest setting.

What do you think would be the perfect setting?

The RP23 will be matched up to a 2009 Reba Team w/ Maxle Lite (90/120 Air U-turn).

No, that's not phonetic
    Lowest rebound and compression.

You can always add platform via the 3 propedal settings, but you can never subtract compression if you are stuck with the higher underlying damping from the factory.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Certified Moots Whore...
    How would you make up for compression with propedal?

I thought propedal = platform and compression = stroke "feel" (low/high speed).

I could be way off in my understanding of these features.

Also, I noticed you tried the low volume air canister on the Sultan. Did you like it? I know most people complained about it on the early Sultans.

No, that's not phonetic
    Maybe on a more sophisticated custom tuned shock you would experience a high compression tune not feeling like a platform, but on the RP23 the high compression tune preload on the shim stack feels just like a bunch of extra propedal tossed on the pile.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Certified Moots Whore...
    Ah, I was giving credit were it was not due. Thanks for clarifying that my assumption on shock quality was again wrong. Maybe I just need to get a double barrel and be done with it...

mtbr member

low volume can

[Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I'm a suspension idiot].

I swapped the LV can onto my Sultan to try to avoid bottoming out the rear suspension as often, and it came at the cost of small bump compliance despite running about 20psi less pressure with the LV can.

I'm ~230lbs geared and ride with a WB 135 up front through SoCal's loose and rocky.

Are Push and CCDB the only homer-condoned options???

Certified Moots Whore...
    There are other options?
    Actually, I have given a lot of thought about getting the Marzocchi 3PL since I love my Roco Air R.