Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

colorado ski trip in nov???

edit: make that december. doh!

hey homies!

candycorn is headed to denver dec 14 - 18 and im thinkin of flyin out with her to do some skiin if theres a place for it. im not super fast or real techy but i have my own stuff, can stay upright most of the time and hit a diamond on occasion. id have to stay on a cheap hill but im willin to spend a day or 2 on it. anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

involuntary dismounter
    my my...aren't we a little snowbunny!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

doin my best to look the part. gawd knows i cant ski fer shyt.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Dude, is that a f*g bag your wearing, you look like a Texan

You know I'm in, no pass for me this year so I'm up for a cheap hill, maybe Squeaker can fix us up at Vail though. Are you staying in Denver with Candy?

wtf is a fahg bag or do i wanna know?

yeah, shes got a old pal there so i can stay there unless we do 2 days on the hill. wont have a car so ill need a lift outta denver. the girls may join us and hang in the lodge too.im down with whatever as long as its low budget.
    No, I'm NOT back!

never mind
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    wtf is a fahg bag or do i wanna know?
    Insulated jump suit outfit from the 80's, more prevelant in Vail due to all the rich Texans that ski there and still think they are in style

mtbr member
    At least it's not a Starter jacket.

oh gawd no! obermeyer coat and core bibs. got a pair of spyder bibs for warmer days too. im all style baby! gotta be with my low skill set but yer used to that by now.
    No, I'm NOT back!

aspen anyone?

i got hooked up with a room. is aspen worth the lift prices and is anyone interested in goin there?
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    As in free? Aspen is expensive and far, never skied there so I can't comment on the mtn but I'm sure it's good. I'm thinking Loveland/ WP/ Copper, something closer to the FR, A- basin is good but it's got steeper terrain. The Summit county resorts(Breck/Keystone) will be getting crowded for sure with the Xmas season coming, we should do a weekday also.

as in a very nice cat offered the corns a place to stay in aspen. might be a once in a lifetime chance for us so im seein if theres more interest in skiin the area. i know, totaly selfish of me but friggin waaaaaa i say.

yer right rr, those would be far easyer to get to for most everyone and cheaper too. as i said in the beginnin, im down for anything that is if i can pull this trip off. weekdays might be tough but i might slide in a fri/sat thing if candycorn's ok with it. i agree that off weekend skiin is far more fun, but mid week rules.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Toby Wong?
    [QUOTE=rroeder]Dude, is that a f*g bag your wearing, you look like a Texan
    QUOTE]

not a *** bag....it's a fart bag. The one piece that gives you back what you put into it. Hah.

I hope those are your wife's skis. Or you're standing on a hill.

5'9", 165lbs w/ 165's. standard issue sticks for a guy my size. you gonna join us or just sit there and gimme shyt? hehe.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Toby Wong?
    i'd join ya but i'm only 20 minutes from a mountian....plus, i hate waiting for people at the bottom

OH SNAP, CC!

oh quit yer waaaaaaaaaaa, hit the lodge, have a beer and chill. ill be down eventually.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot
    5'9", 165lbs w/ 165's. standard issue sticks for a guy my size. you gonna join us or just sit there and gimme shyt? hehe.
    I missed this whole Shaped ski thing. I still ride my 205cm Atomic Arc's Slalom boards I used to race with in college.

Short Ski's Suck, Long ski's Truck.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If it's going to be Aspen, don't miss Highlands!

And Tap, lighten up. You don't live 20 minutes from a mountain, you live 20 minutes from Mt. Flatchelor! Or is that Mt. Traverse?

Flame suit on!

At least Tap can ski. Due to a highway washout, we can't even get to our little hometown hill of Mt. Hood Meadows!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    If it's going to be Aspen, don't miss Highlands!

And Tap, lighten up. You don't live 20 minutes from a mountain, you live 20 minutes from Mt. Flatchelor! Or is that Mt. Traverse?

Flame suit on!

At least Tap can ski. Due to a highway washout, we can't even get to our little hometown hill of Mt. Hood Meadows!

ok, Kosmo. U da man. Just remember, I'll be riding Ye Ol' Flatchelor at 8 a.m. on Saturday morning while you're protesting another walmart and poundin' yer pud in the Gorge, wishing the ODOT could remove car sized boulders from Hwy 35. DOH!

c'mon down and visit, bro. we'll schralp it up.

banned, again
    Cowboy up, Brokeback.

I'm about the same height, 10 lbs lighter, on 170 Head SuperShapes. Why are you on those midget sticks?

I'd bet that the jacket has something to do with it. Looks pretty much like a Snow Homer jacket.

The Salomon skis already scream Snow Homer. You know, racerboy image, intermediate skill compatibility.

And the fact that you are skiing in Colorado, home of the transplanted pseudo-outdoorsy "I'll have a triple nonfat latte with my dozen Krispy Kremes please" while talking on the cell phone and thumbing through the latest issue of Architectural Digest at the local doughnut hotspot somewhere between the airport and one of the overcrowded Colorado Front Range ski areas.

banned, again
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    I missed this whole Shaped ski thing. I still ride my 205cm Atomic Arc's Slalom boards I used to race with in college.

Short Ski's Suck, Long ski's Truck.
    Yes, I understand. Long skis have no shape at all. They have absolutely no side cut.

Those leather boots and Cubco bindings are Aces, aren't they?

gregg! the chan is makin fun of me. i think he may have just gone and hurt my little feelings this time. tell the mean bully to stop! or make me a mod so i can kick his fockin ass right the hell outta dodge. now back to my regularly scheduled whineing.
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    nice fart-sack!

skiing is like, soo, 2005! gawhawd!

I just booked my plane tickets to take me to SLC in mid/late Febuary for a little Little Cottonwood Canyon action at Brighton + Solitude, two of my favorite places!.....just picked me up a Burton Malolo board for the fluffies....can't wait to try a fat'er board [at least it's fat for us mid-west flatlanders...]

This place needs an enema
    edit: make that december. doh!

hey homies!

candycorn is headed to denver dec 14 - 18 and im thinkin of flyin out with her to do some skiin if theres a place for it. im not super fast or real techy but i have my own stuff, can stay upright most of the time and hit a diamond on occasion. id have to stay on a cheap hill but im willin to spend a day or 2 on it. anyone?
    Tom, you ought to check out a skibike while you're in D-town or nearby.

Easier to learn than snowboarding, but (IMO) way, way more fun to do. You can ride all day and you never get beat down tired. Rip it up with your buds (or people that are stronger/faster/more skilled on skis than you) but never get tired legs. Enjoy the liftlines that everyone else is b!tching about--because you can have a seat while they stand and whine. Well, maybe you won't actually enjoy the lines, but you can enjoy your friends' misery...

I was a bit skeptical until I tried one. Now I save the boards for powder days--if there's less than 10" of fresh I take the ski bike instead. Easiest, most intuitive carving sensation I've ever felt (and I've been skiing/boarding/tele'ing for 23 years), plus it's fun to rip through bumps and chunder and just let the suspension do the work.

Best part? If you dig it (and you will) you can get a kit to convert your favorite bike (RFX?) for the winter months.

Cheers,

MC

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chan
    Yes, I understand. Long skis have no shape at all. They have absolutely no side cut.

Those leather boots and Cubco bindings are Aces, aren't they?
    Thank you for displaying your complete lack of understanding on ski design.

And I rather like the leather boots
    Astigmatic Visionary

im all over this idea mike! dgc and i have been yackin it up but my ski bike is yet to be built. can ya rent? id do this!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That skibike thingy looks like fun, but there is an evolution to that toy. Looking at the video, it seems more "bike like".

Check out this site: http://www.northlegion.com/ The video from the prototype test session is quite polished... Nice moves and nice Norwegian summer skiing scenery.

Sigmund

that was cool! thanx sig.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Dress Code

CC, since you appear a bit confused by some of the posts above, allow me (in the fun spirit of a Friday) to enlighten you about the "Western Dude Code of Ski Fashion"

1. There will be no brightly colored jackets. Black, beige and other earth tones are required, though for some strange reason, orange has also been granted approval relatively recently.

2. Your jacket should have a hood. You need not wear it, but must at all times display it. Never, ever roll it up and zip it into your collar, even if the jacket is so equipped.

3. Pants will be baggy, and either black or beige ("putty" as my wife says) in color. Pants will not be equipped with built in insulation, nor will they ever be of the bib style.

4. None, I repeat, NONE of your clothing should be cut to match the form of the human body. The baggier the better. A good measure of this is how loudly your clothing flaps on outruns and catwalks.

5. Your hat should under no circumstances match any piece of your clothing, nor should you be caught dead in one of the old Mahre Brothers-style triangular shaped hats. If you ski in a helmet, it should be a cool looking one, and never ever one made by Briko!

6. You will ski with a pack, even if you never venture out of bounds, or even off the groomed slopes. You don't need to carry anything in it, but you must wear it, and you will under no circumstances whatsoever may you ever ski with a fanny pack (man purse).

7. You must carry and drink a lot of water, and speak often of hydration, even though downhill skiing at a lift served area just isn't that much work.

8. Goggles are the exception to all this nonsense. If you have a pair the you can count on to never fog (aside from packing them with snow in a fall), don't ever give them up (my personal favorites are at least 10 years old)!

This covers clothing pretty well. Next week's installment will deal with equipment!
    Last edited by kosmo; 11-17-2006 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Bib Pants Also Disallowed!

Bodhisattva
    Skiing is stoopid
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

rr
    I don't do PC
    CC, since you appear a bit confused by some of the posts above, allow me (in the fun spirit of a Friday) to enlighten you about the "Western Dude Code of Ski Fashion"

1. There will be no brightly colored jackets. Black, beige and other earth tones are required, though for some strange reason, orange has also been granted approval relatively recently.

2. Your jacket should have a hood. You need not wear it, but must at all times display it. Never, ever roll it up and zip it into your collar, even if the jacket is so equipped.

3. Pants will be baggy, and either black or beige ("putty" as my wife says) in color. Pants will not be equipped with built in insulation.

4. None, I repeat, NONE of your clothing should be cut to match the form of the human body. The baggier the better. A good measure of this is how loudly your clothing flaps on outruns and catwalks.

5. Your hat should under no circumstances match any piece of your clothing, nor should you be caught dead in one of the old Mahre Brothers-style triangular shaped hats. If you ski in a helmet, it should be a cool looking one, and never ever one made by Briko!

6. You will ski with a pack, even if you never venture out of bounds, or even off the groomed slopes. You don't need to carry anything in it, but you must wear it, and you will under no circumstances whatsoever may you ever ski with a fanny pack (man purse).

7. You must carry and drink a lot of water, and speak often of hydration, even though downhill skiing at a lift served area just isn't that much work.

8. Goggles are the exception to all this nonsense. If you have a pair the you can count on to never fog (aside from packing them with snow in a fall), don't ever give them up (my personal favorites are at least 10 years old)!

This covers clothing pretty well. Next week's installment will deal with equipment!
    What is the verdict on his bibs?

banned, again
    That's what happens when you do all your skiing at a pretentious Front Range ski hill.

All poseur, all the time.

Please don't come north. We like the poseurs where they are.

3. Pants will be baggy, and either black or beige ("putty" as my wife says) in color. Pants will not be equipped with built in insulation.

1 out of 8 isnt bad. right?
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned, again
    it's almost as good as a picture of Natalie Gulbis kissing a glass ...uh... sculpture.

that ones hard to beat, aint it? one day ill retire this avitar and put it up in the classifieds.
    No, I'm NOT back!

This place needs an enema
    im all over this idea mike! dgc and i have been yackin it up but my ski bike is yet to be built. can ya rent? id do this!
    Yes, you can rent, but I'm not exactly sure which areas have them yet. Devin Lenz has been the driving force behind these, making them as purpose-built ski-bikes, or kits that you can retro onto your wheeled Turner.

Give him a call at 303.857.9151. He'll know which areas have them, and he'll be able to set you up with a demo out of his fleet if the area you're heading to doesn't have 'em yet.

It's a blast--have fun with it.

MC

thanx mc rides-a-lot. ill be checkin into this deal as soon as my plans are more solid.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    What is the verdict on his bibs?
    Forbidden. Don't know how I missed that one! Will edit.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Forbidden. Don't know how I missed that one! Will edit.
    Sorry CC, your 90's Obermayer poser jacket ain't cutting it, and kosmo says that bibs are GAY!

Please refer to kosmo's attire tips, or just head up to MT and ski with Gonz, you could get away with jeans and a turtleneck up there I bet.

Forbidden.
    why? do these make me look gae? how bout candycorn?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

90's huh? ill have you know that there is a 2 year old top of the line oby ski jacket! and i like my damn bibs too! so there!

i 1st tryed the baggy 686 snowboard suit, still have it, but didnt much like it. felt heavy and clunky. this set up is far superior for my needs and tastes and was worth the high dollar amount spent of refitting the skiwear bag.

just be glad i dont wear my neopreme race pants except for wed ski league nights. back in the day when i was single, a better skiier and cuttin tree lines in tahoe, i got alot of attention from the ladies in those. matter of fact there was this one little lodge bunny.... but i digress.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

Could be skimpy

CC,

Living in the high country of CO in Steamboat, we never go skiing until there is about a 40" base, usually; it avoids the nastiness that lurks just below the new fluffy stuff that we get early season to fool the unaware. Snow snakes abound everywhere and they can reach out, bite you and disappear below the snow before you can even see them. In the meantime, you are on the ground, wondering what happened?

Right now, I would say that conditions are marginal for me, but rent skis - don't bring your own unless you want to add a pair of "rock skis" to your fleet and keep watching the websites of ski areas before you leave Iowa to make a decision. None of them will be crowded, so finding a place to stay will be easy and cheap before 12/21 - it is called low season now.

Bottom line - we had a pretty good first dump this week, but we really need another one to even make me think about it. But, actually I am planning on Fruita over Thanksgiving Weekend anyway.

thanx steve. i havent done much checkin yet but what ive seen was low as ya say. i still have 4 more weeks to get a base.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

Idea! Check in with me

CC,

Please feel free to check in with me as you get closer; I will tell you the truth; the ski areas will lie. For example, Steamboat started counting for base totals on 10/26; when the sun is out at these altitudes, you will lose 2" a day due to settling and evaporation, but they don't tell you that.

Bodhisattva
    I'm heading to Vail Tuesday & will report back.
    They are reporting a 14" base, which is prettty darn marginal for anything other than groomers, with no snow in the forecast over the next few days.
    Things don't generally get real good around here until after New Years although last year was the exception to the rule and mid-December conditions were fantastic
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein