mtbr member
    Aug 2006

New question here. Coil shock for the 5 Spot - worth it?

I have a Spot '05 with HL, 5.5" rockers and PUSHed RP23 (standard and hi-vol can available). Front shock is Vanilla RLC. Light Shimano XT wheels, 2.25" UST tires, no dropping and jumping. It's more XC ride, sometimes fun with stairs, roots, etc... I'm about 80-85kg in gear.

Thinking about coil shock for:
    - plushier ride (RP23 is super shock, but I want more sensitivity for small bumps)
    - backup shock
    - winter ride
    - probably more aggressive riding in the future

I'm in the Europe, so no CCDB and Avalanche. Marzocchi has no 190mm coil shock. I'm thinking about PUSHed Vanilla from tftuned.com or standard used Vanilla second hand. Or Manitou Swinger 4 or 3-way (X3, X4).

I have no experience with coil shocks at all, so the main question is - will I really have a plushier ride in compare with PUSHed RP23? How much I loose in pedal efficiency (with PUSH propedal in Vanilla)?

Thanks in advance!

Archer,
    I cant say if the coil would be worth it or not, but see no reason not to try one (at least for winter) since you prefer your Vanilla over Talas up front.

As to your pics I would say "just say no" to the Swingers, knowing what they are priced at over here and how bad my Swinger (air) sucked, I would take them off your list.

Find a nice used Vanilla give it a go and send it to PUSH (TFT) if you want something more out of it.

Ride and Smile
    I have not ridden the rp23, but I was very happy replacing my dhx-air with the dhx-c. The shock and the push rockers really changed the ride. Have not noticed any drop in efficiency for pedaling, I've been too busy enjoying the plush

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A properly set up and tuned to your liking coil shock is an asset to a Turner in many ways. Yes, you do gain some weight, yet the advantages fair out weight the small weight increase. In your case it does not matter.

Look for a Vanilla RC, NEW Vanilla (w/ the piggy back), or a DHX-Coil rear shock then send it either to Push or TFTune for re-working.
    They will climb well, descend even better, and have an excellent feel to them. Goodluck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePointFive
    Look for a Vanilla RC, NEW Vanilla (w/ the piggy back), or a DHX-Coil rear shock then send it either to Push or TFTune for re-working.
    If I will buy a new shock - it will be brand new PUSHed shock directly from TFT. It is cheaper than sending them used shock. Weight does not matter, I can also decrease a shock air pump in my Camelback

Lay off the Levers
    I think a coil can be much more sensitive and more rewarding for agressive riding. I have a pRP3 and 5.5 rockers (also had Push rockers) I like the light and lively feeling of the pRP3. It's snappy and suprisingly sensitive for an air shock, but a well tuned coil takes it all a good step further. Esp for rock crawling and flat out bombing.

If you're getting a "backup" shock I can't see a reason to get another air shock. Go get the Pushed Vanny and have a little diversity in your ride.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    I agree with BZ.

I ride a stock HV RP23 and an Avy on a 5.5-pack and while the Avy is overall a better shock, the difference between the two is most apparent while rock crawling (especially if on a climb) and on square edge hits, that's where the compliance of the Avy blows my mind.

Flyin Canine
    I guess I have been slacking. I used to ride an 01 RFX with a pushed vanilla coil on it. I stripped it and put a lot of the parts on a new 07 5-spot frame with a stock rp23 on it. When I first started riding the spot I really thought that the rear shock did not perform up to the standard that I wanted. I planned on swapping the rp23 for the pushed van from the RFX but just never got around to it. I guess there is more than just me curious about this so I should do the swap and find out. Biggest question is going to be if I should keep the same spring rate or change it for the new spot? Anyone know? Push has been pretty unresponsive to phone calls lately so I guess asking them is out of the question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    I guess I have been slacking. I used to ride an 01 RFX with a pushed vanilla coil on it. I stripped it and put a lot of the parts on a new 07 5-spot frame with a stock rp23 on it. When I first started riding the spot I really thought that the rear shock did not perform up to the standard that I wanted. I planned on swapping the rp23 for the pushed van from the RFX but just never got around to it. I guess there is more than just me curious about this so I should do the swap and find out. Biggest question is going to be if I should keep the same spring rate or change it for the new spot? Anyone know? Push has been pretty unresponsive to phone calls lately so I guess asking them is out of the question.
    If you were running 5in plates on the RFX you might be able to keep the same spring, on the other hand if you had 6in rockers you should drop the spring rate. I run a 550lbs/in spring on the 06 RFX and 500lbs/in spring on the 5.5-pack (I weigh 165lbs). The two rockers give the linkage a very different character: the new 5.5in rockers are incredibly progressive so you might be able to back off some of that damping on the shock as well (if it's an option)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've already received my new PUSHed Vanilla from TFTuned. Did a short ride yesterday with the new shock (my first ride with a coil shock). It's different... It's came with a 600/2.35 spring, sag without gear and water is about 12-13mm, looks small for 5spot, but may be it's cause of Propedal.

Strange feelings during ride - it's like soft and hard simultaneously. During the ride I'm feeling like I'm sitting higher, than it was with RP23. It's pedal BETTER in compare with my RP23! In the same time it's just rolling over (through?) the roots and stones. I can feel that roots, but it didn't kick me. And I'm feeling more confident in the turns.

I'll try to make something like tscheezy's CD&spoke sag-o-meter to find out how much travel i'm using. Probably I should try 550 or 500 spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Lay off the Levers
    Nice.

it's like soft and hard simultaneously. During the ride I'm feeling like I'm sitting higher, than it was with RP23. It's pedal BETTER in compare with my RP23! In the same time it's just rolling over (through?) the roots and stones. I can feel that roots, but it didn't kick me. And I'm feeling more confident in the turns.
    High Quality independent high speed and low speed damping allows the shock to do that.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Nice!

Daaamn Archer,
    I dont think I would recognize your bike if I saw it, the only thing you still have on it from last year is the frame. Looks good!

Cheers
    Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Continue of the story.

The original spring (600x2.35) is too hard for me. It makes me only 12-13mm sag. BB is higher than recommended, and riding is not so comfortable, even it' is plushier than RP23.

I thought of returning the shock to TFT for spring change, but it's time consuming and expensive shipping. Also probably I will need a higher rate spring If I will want to ride with all my photo equipment + something else, or If I will start jumping So, 600 stay home, but I need a new one, softer.
    Which one? Used following spring calculators

1. http://www.igorion.com/_coilspring/
    2. Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator V5.0
    3. http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area...alculator.html
    4. http://www.mojo.co.uk/html(mojo)/springcalc.htm

1 and 2 told me I want a 450-500 spring. 3 and 4 - 600-650 spring.

Price of the original Fox spring here is about $100. Fortunately, I've realized that Manitou spring is compatible with Fox shocks (DHX, VAN with piggy tail), and almost 3x cheaper. Bought 450x2 and 550x2 springs from the local Manitou dealer.
    First I've installed 450x2, and set 2 turn of preload, as recommended by spring calculator 1 and 2. Measured the sag... exactly 17mm!!

Went to the short test ride... "Yeah baby!!" It was exactly what I'm expected from the coil shock! It's PLUSH! And no bob, thanks to PUSH!

Later I will try 550x2 spring without preload.

Looks like spring calculators 1 and 2 are more realistic. Or, may be, 3 and 4 are freeride & DH oriented, and recommend harder spring for jumps and drops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Buy a used Romic and get it serviced. Just did it. $50 for the shock (it came just serviced) Rides really well.
    All about the ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmacheen
    Buy a used Romic and get it serviced. Just did it. $50 for the shock (it came just serviced) Rides really well.
    Thanks for advance, but:
    1) I've bought VAN R already
    2) it's almost impossible to find a Romic shock in Europe

PSI
    I want that one

this thread makes me want to put my romic back on my spot. i switched to a low volume dhx A a while back partially cos i was worried about future service availability for the romic. greenmacheen, where did you get your romic serviced?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Romic still services their shocks. They are simple and work good enough for my riding. Plus, I enjoy the simplicity and think it matches the Turner in that respect. Put it on and ride, ride, ride.
    All about the ride

PSI
    I want that one
    Romic still services their shocks. They are simple and work good enough for my riding. Plus, I enjoy the simplicity and think it matches the Turner in that respect. Put it on and ride, ride, ride.
    im with you on that. the original 5 spot was designed around the romic and its still the best feelin shock on my 2003 spot. thanks for the info, i didnt realize they still service their shocks.