Thread: Cochizzle

Knollician

Cochizzle

Today we hit Cochise. As you can see from the vid, perfect weather, green grass, and great friends. Uber chunk!

1/10/09 - Geronimo/Cochise from Tisser on Vimeo.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Today we hit Cochise. As you can see from the vid, perfect weather, green grass, and great friends. Uber chunk!

1/10/09 - Geronimo/Cochise from Tisser on Vimeo.
    Nice.. I like your videos. Thanks for posting..

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for posting the videos. You've been on a roll with them lately. Great stuff.

What is your camera setup?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    awesome vid!

MTB B'dos
    Very cool video thanks for posting, those are some killer trails. Watched the Monster video as well and props for the riding in it - way over my skill set a lot of the time, but they'd be interesting to try some of
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Shot Down in Flames...
    Sweet vid. Finally, some decent music in a MTB video!

D.

mtbr member
    Brandon that is some crazy, technical stuff. Are you and the boys clipped in or are you using flats for that stuff?

Black Lion
    another great vid.

Where is Cochise? Don't think I have seen that one yet. Would it be called another name?

sorry for all the questions
    Greg
    Voltron

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    another great vid.

Where is Cochise? Don't think I have seen that one yet. Would it be called another name?

sorry for all the questions
    Greg
    Greg...It's the alternative lower half of Geronimo that goes around the Boy Scout Camp.

Another great video Brandon, thanks for the humbling ride today.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm
    Thanks for posting the videos. You've been on a roll with them lately. Great stuff.

What is your camera setup?
    VIO POV

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    Brandon that is some crazy, technical stuff. Are you and the boys clipped in or are you using flats for that stuff?
    We all use clipless.

My cup runneth over
    Dude - your shadow fell off a cliff! . Great vid, thanks.

Brass Nipples!
    Another nice vid.

Either you raised your camera a little or I'm getting used to your setup.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Another cool vid. You guys have some great trails to play on. Great weather too (ya barstewards!) - Saturday in the UK was -6C but beautifully sunny. Today it's nearer +10C and p!ssing it down. I think I preferred the cold.

Interested by your switchback technique. As far as I can tell you all just roll through the corner. My instinctive reaction would be to pop a mini-stoppie/endo to straighten the back end up somewhere around the apex, so I didn't have to go over some of those big old steps with the bars turned. Might also mean the front wheel doesn't run so wide on exit.

This isn't criticism. You guys have obviously got some pretty serious skills and a solid dose of commitment - just a different approach, and I was wondering why.

mtbr member
    great stuff! everytime i watch one of your videos at the office the adrenaline starts pumping and all i want to do is run out grab my bike and ride - thanx!

Moosehead
    another schweet vid tisser. the higher mount either shows the gnar and pitch better, or cochice is nice and nasty. strong skills, those switches look tough.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    another schweet vid tisser. the higher mount either shows the gnar and pitch better, or cochice is nice and nasty. strong skills, those switches look tough.
    I did not change the location of the camera for this run. Cochise is chowder city. You really have no idea the penalty for failure on the Big 3 left hand switchbacks. On #2, ther is nearly a 20 foot or more drop. Last week dirtbag's pretty Highline found out what it is like to go over. I wish I had that on video.

As for the videos, I am getting better. Keeping better flow, and having better sequences. The goal hopefully is to show a bit of what we have here, and stoke people up. I love watching the vids at home, gets me ready for the next day.

Thansk for the comments guys, keeps me working for better videos

Just roll it......
    Two comments:

Love the vids....keep 'em coming! I'm a fan of having a rider in front (if at all possible) as it tends to give the viewer a better idea of the terrain challenges. Regardless, video never displays how steep or difficult something is.....

Question about your trails. They seem to be ultra tech with lots of chunder, but then come into the super slow speed corners. Are they hiker built/multi user or did the terrain dictate that you guys build super tight switchbacks?

cheers,
    EB

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme

Question about your trails. They seem to be ultra tech with lots of chunder, but then come into the super slow speed corners. Are they hiker built/multi user or did the terrain dictate that you guys build super tight switchbacks?

cheers,
    EB
    Yeah, I wish the videos would really twll the true story of wha is happening. Trails like Geronimo and Cochise are realy smoothed out by the Highline. We have discussed some new camera mounting positions to give some new perspectives on what is happening.

Most of all the trails we ride are multi-use. Lots of hikers, and there are a handful of high frequency equestrian trails. There are even some real, old fashion cowboys out here.

Geronimo is one of the fastest, if not the fastest DH on SOMO. Cochise is a VERY technical, tight trail. To be honest, I am not sure anyone outside our group even rides it. Originally, it was Geronimo, until it was redirected to its' current route. I am not sure the trail even has a name, but we named it Cochise. AZ Mikey can be thanked for us finding this trail.

A few points about this trail; there is quite a bit of climbing, so it keeps the shuttlers off. This has preserved the trail in its original form. The switchbacks are super tight, with a high penalty for failure. We have guys in our group that refuse to ride the trail, and some that can't even watch us ride it. dirtbag and I spent hours playing on the switchbacks, looking at lines, ect. We are not "hoppers", more "rollers". I think the hopping thing around tight switchbacks is a cool trick, but I like seeing just how tight I can turn the bike. It really has improved my balance.

We have had many out of town riders ask us why we ride so slow. Well, things are very tight, a high penalty for failure. If you wreck out here, there is a good chance you will nick your stantion, bend a stay, rip off your derailleur, and not to mention what happens to your body. Everything is razor sharp granite. We usually put a price tag on a trail to rate it

I should be doing a Goat Camp video in the next few weeks, wait until you see that!

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Two comments:

Love the vids....keep 'em coming! I'm a fan of having a rider in front (if at all possible) as it tends to give the viewer a better idea of the terrain challenges. Regardless, video never displays how steep or difficult something is.....

cheers,
    EB
    We have a range of trail types. Geronimo is, for the most part, chucky, but very fast. Holbert is tombstone central with LOTS of opportunity for OTB, Viejo is barely a trail at all (it's not a sanctioned trail. . .more of an coyote trail), Cochise is very slow, tight and twisty, even before the switchbacks, National is fast, smooth and flowy with little stunts thrown in every now and then (and little B lines), and Goat Camp is the grand daddy of gnar. . . a 3 mile long continuous tech section. All of these trails were built to be multi-use trails (read, hiking trails). Mostly because they are within City and County parks, and we have to be VERY good stewards and users, there is very little trail building and no stunt building. The very best thing about our riding is that all the 'stunts' (with very few exceptions) are in the flow of the trail and the trails are built to expediently deal with the nature of the terrain. . . fun without the feeling that it was built to be fun

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Um, I love your trails. I have never ridden them, but I love them.

JMH

Just roll it......
    Most of all the trails we ride are multi-use. Lots of hikers, and there are a handful of high frequency equestrian trails. There are even some real, old fashion cowboys out here.

We have had many out of town riders ask us why we ride so slow. Well, things are very tight, a high penalty for failure. If you wreck out here, there is a good chance you will nick your stantion, bend a stay, rip off your derailleur, and not to mention what happens to your body. Everything is razor sharp granite. We usually put a price tag on a trail to rate it
    Gotcha. Makes sense on the multi user trail front then.

Yeah, tumbling on the rocks would be no bueno.

Good stuff. Keep 'em coming.

EB

mtbr member
    If you wreck out here, there is a good chance you will .... rip off your derailleur....We usually put a price tag on a trail to rate it
    You mean like this XO-priced carnage?
    Good video Brandon. Keep 'em coming.
    Attached Images Attached Images