HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004

New question here. Clyde + XR Rockers == Bad?

Anybody riding a burner with XR rockers and ... um ... need to lose a couple of pounds

I'm 215lbs and an email from Turner about the rockers recommended not using them when you're over 180lbs as it put too much leverage on the shock (fox float r propedal).

Anybody tried this and what did you set your shock pressures to?

Not a big deal, but was hoping to run the rockers to get 4" rear with my reba at 115mm (4.5") up front ...

thnx

Berardino

mtbr member
    May 2005

Rockers....

Yes, I have XR rockers from Paul Components on my Burner. I did not know Turner only recommends up to 180 lb.s riders, which is what I weigh on a bad month. Its working great, just had to bump my Swinger pressures up some. If Turner does not recommend it, I would not run them. Im sure you could sell them on e-bay or Homer spam. I suppose your weight combined with the extra leverage on the shock is too much. If your exceeding the maximum pressure of the shock and/or bottoming your suspension excessively that could be a problem. Another option might be to go to a coil shock, like a Fox Vanilla or Romic were you can get a spring rate that suits you. Good luck with it!
    Christian

banned
    I think there are plenty of people running XR's and air shocks with no troubles. On the lighter side of things (no pun intended), it gives you an incentive to ride harder and drop some pounds, as I will be doing now that I heard about it. I'm 10 pounds over my usual in season riding weight at 190. I need to lose weight anyhow.

Bite Me.
    I don't think you would risk damaging the shock - and certainly not the frame - at your weight. I think the top end pressure on the Fox (300lbs?) well exceeds the higher initial setting you would need to compensate for the added leverage of the XRs. I average 180 on the bike, run the RP3 at about 155 to 160lbs of pressure and have had no issues at all with the XRs and an RP3. Maybe the added initial air pressure would compromise the small bump sensitivity of your ride. But, I found the exact opposite to be true - when I added the XRs, the shock felt much more sensitive to small inputs, but also felt like it gained way more than .4" of travel. The overall performance just went up in every way, unless you were looking for a tight XC style feel (i.e.- semi-harsh but super efficient). I say go for it. As mentioned above, if the Fox doesn't hold up for some reason you could always look at a coil or cutting back on the late night pizza, beer and donuts .
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Can Tree Member

Aw, jeeze...why did you have to go ask that...???

Quote Originally Posted by baratta930
    Anybody riding a burner with XR rockers and ... um ... need to lose a couple of pounds

I'm 215lbs and an email from Turner about the rockers recommended not using them when you're over 180lbs as it put too much leverage on the shock (fox float r propedal).

Anybody tried this and what did you set your shock pressures to?

Not a big deal, but was hoping to run the rockers to get 4" rear with my reba at 115mm (4.5") up front ...

thnx

Berardino
    I am 220 w/o gear and have been running XR's with a 3-way for a couple of months now. I had to bump the pressures on the shock but I am well under the maximum for SPV, and although I could not find the maximum for the main chamber in the manual I know many other large-ish riders are using pressures higher than I am in for the main spring with no adverse affects (other than a crappy ride ).

For some reason, I thought that a 6.5x1.5 shock was used on 4" bikes from other makers. I am sure that some of the Homers can enlighten us on this point. If so, I would not understand why you were getting the wave-off from Turner.

I say ride the snot out of it, and if the shock poops its drawers during a ride you'll have to limp home, but will then have that excuse to send it to PUSH like you've been wanting to.
    Last edited by Dad Man Walking; 10-25-2005 at 10:07 PM.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    Thanks all, I think I'm going to order them and see what happens. Worst case is the shock needs a PUSH

I just need Paul from Paul's Components to call me back

BTW My peak was 253#, I was 223# a month ago, I'm about 215# today, hopefully 200# by year end, so I'll get closer to that 180# number sooner or later (need to get back to 170ish). I need to get out and ride more (AND eat less)

thnx

Berardino