mtbr member

Clunk sound? Help

Well, here's the problem (if it is one?)

Everytime I compress the Marz Marathon s fork on my Burner, I hear this kind of deep clunk sound. Not to loud, but it is a noticeable sound. Once compressed, I can push it down repeatedly, and hear no sound. Now if I unweigh the front tire ( by lifting it off the ground) and then push the front end down again, I get the noise.

I don't know if it is the fork, the headset or what?

I have retightened my stem, after I preloaded the headset again, so that my spacers do not move (they were starting to move).

Any opinions?

I will most likely go sometime this week to my LBS (55 minute drive ), if I can't get rid of the sound.

Anybody have a theory or suggestions that will save me a trip and money?
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

No, that's not phonetic
    It is often the coil in the fork. It deflects to the side and taps the stanchion wall. Try opening the top cap, compressing the fork a little, and turning the spring 90 degrees. That is sometimes enough.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

... I guess you won't be
    when you do this, is the front brake locked? or not.....and, just curious, but are you running a Thompson stem w/ the cylindrical wedge clamping gizmo?

If your answer is brake locked w/ Thompson stem....I'd say the stem is the culprit. Put a cheapo on instead and try to recreate the clunk.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member

Yes and Yes

I had a Thomson stem and it always seemed that the spacers under the stem (10mm and 5mm) were tight when I preloaded the headset and tightened the stem bolts according to Thomson's torque #, but after a 1/2 dozen rides the spacers seemed to be looser than when I set everything up.

Now I have a RF prodigy stem.

It will make that noise with the front brake too.

Do you think it has something to do the stem headset interface?

What I am scared is of my headtube becoming ovalized.
    Thanks!

... I guess you won't be
    If you have an old rigid fork lying around [or on another bike], try putting that one on and testing to see if the clunk is coming from the stem/headset area - this way you take the fork out of the equation.

Curious - how old is your headset, and what kind is it....and are you using carbon spacers.....?

Longshot - check to see if the bolts securing the disc to the hub are loose....this would cause a brake induced clunk sound also.....

Lastly, if the big bushings in your marz are shot, you'll notice the fork will clunk slightly w/ the brake on when you rock it forward/backward w/ brake on.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member

Eureka! .........Strangest Thing (long)

[SIZE=5]Well, I started by removing the fork from the frame. Checked the headset cups. Pulled and tugged on both of them. Tight as can be.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Then I went to check the crown race, that's when I noticed the clunk sound. I moved the fork around and noticed the sound again. It seemed to be coming from the ETA side leg. I thought that something must be loose inside. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]I removed the bottom nut, drained the oil, and pulled out the ETA side cartridge.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Everything was intact, except the spring had a lot of play. It moved freely between the top-black spacer and the bottom seat on top of the ETA cartridge (1-2mm play). I can easily see it hitting the inside of the fork. This amount of play cannot be normal, and I did not recall the fork doing this when it was new.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]I removed the top cap, and with a 10mm or 9mm wrench, tried to tighten the red nut at the top. It didn't feel like I was doing anything, but sure enough, I was able to remove the play and the spring had some pressure against it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Now I hope it stays put. I would hate to have that sound and play come back in a few months. [/SIZE]