Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

climbing on a Burner

2K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Trailmix 
#1 ·
My usual ride includes a series of long, grinding steeps, the kind that make me miss my light hardtail. I find that I still have trouble sticking the front wheel. I moved my seat foward which helped alot. I am wondering if the stem could be the culprit. I always thought that long stems are better for climbing and short is better for descending and technical. I use a long 120mm which feels stretched but ok. I have a 110mm that I am going to try. Although this stem might not track as straight, it may allow me to get my upper body further over the bars thus sticking the front wheel better on super steeps. Does this make any sense?

#27 ·
Paco Finn said:
Look in the classifieds...there are some there in the frame section and then sell yours after swapping everything. Should not loose much.

Take care,
Nate
Last ditch effort, I entered all my measurements into the Wrench Science Sysyem on their website. The results showed that my med. size frame is correct and that a 110mm stem is ideal. I adjusted everything according to their recommendations.
Riding tomorow, I'll see what happens.

#28 ·
I have the exact opposite sitch

bikenut316 said:
Sad but true. I rode it again today. Made every adjustment possible, setback and straight seatpost, 110 and 120 stem. Each had it's pros and cons but the bottom line is, this bike is too small for me. I had similar problems with a Klein palamino and attitude hardtale. I just didn't think it possible that at 5'9" tall I would need a large.
Oh well, Live and learn.
I have tried every combination, but find that I should have bought a medium. I have finally got the ride pretty dialed, but I sure wish my Burner was medium. Let us know how it works out, I would like to sell mine and get a medium. I should mention that I am also 5'9. Weird how it is sometimes. eh?

#29 ·
Travis Bickle said:
I'm 5'10" on a medium 5 Spot with a straight post and 90mm (sometimes 100mm) stem and can't imagine a bike that climbs better.

This is of course steeper than it looks.
The crazy thing is, the shorter the stem I try, the better I climb steep hills. Went from a 120 to a 110 and was able to weight the front better by getting my upper body further over the bars. However, I still need shorter. I moved my seat far foward to simulate a shorter reach while ignoring pedal stroke. The experiment revealed that I could use a 90. If funds were unlimited I would try a 100 then a 90, although I don't think from 110 to 100 is enough of a change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.