banned

Clearance Clarence. 5Spot musings.

So i recently had what I consider the ultimate clearance challenge. I'm running big tires. Panaracer 2.4s with knobs that get out to the 2.7 range. Love these tires.

We went on this little ride which should have taken 3-3 1/2 hours. We ended up being out over 9 hours due to nasty, nasty bentonite clay.

When other bikes (Santa Cruzes, Titi, an Id, Specialized, etc.) were unable to roll the rear, I was sometimes able to. When the trail finally turned down, I was able to roll the rear and shed better than the rest.

The downside is that because I had so much clearance, when we were in push/drag/carry mode, my bike was much heavier because I was carrying a huge load of clay compared to someone with less clearance.

So I'm happy with the clearance (and won't be going near wet bentonite anytime soon).

p.s. The Maverick has gobs of clearance as well when compared to most other forks.

Toby Wong?

before anyone gets all preachy on Pete...

i am going to bet that he knows all bout riding in mud and trail destruction

damn, that's mucky, Pete. Thanks for another reason to love our bikes.

mtbr member

I am sorry

to bother you with a not directly to tire clearance related question:
    among mineralogists bentonit is known as a special clay mineral
    which is well known for its swelling abillity and low water permeability (and high weight when sticking on bike and shoes).
    Bentonit is rather rare and therefore pretty expensive (if not sticking on bikes, it is used to tighten boreholes and waste dump sites among other). You are shure that this clay is bentonite?

Anyhow: great photographs!
    Bernhard
    Last edited by ritzelflitzer; 05-07-2004 at 01:10 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ritzelflitzer
    Bentonit is rather rare and therefore pretty expensive (if not sticking on bikes, it is used to tighten boreholes and waste dump sites among other). You are shure that this clay is bentonite?
    There is bentonite mixed into the hills all around that area of colorado, as well as much of the four corners area. In fact, we took a wrong turn and ended up at a dead end which was a bentonite quarry.

In this picture you can see the layer of bentonite with the greenish tinge in the road cut. Stepping directly in saturated bentonite is creepy because it soaks your shoes almost as if you had stepped in a puddle.

mtbr member

what a pitty there is already a quarry

otherwise I would have had suggested to open one.

Years ago I had to shovel clay when working with archeologists to excavate neolithic artefacts all day long. Sticking with both boots in saturated clay is realy exciting (not to mention the female archeo's)!

No, that's not phonetic
    I saw some horses standing in a field of that stuff once, each with the equivalent of a millstone attached to each hoof. I wonder if they starved where they stood?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Still chuggin' along
    Oh my gosh! Talk about a mud bath! Its a wonder it didn't suck your wheels right off your bike
    [size=3]Make Everyday your Masterpiece - [/size][size=3][size=2][size=1]George Michael[/size] [/size][/size]

mtbr member

Clay and chalk...

Unfortunately my local trails are equal parts clay and chalk and are still pretty damp (I'll let you work out what that means). A nice sprinkly of flint gives you something nice and sharp to fall on when the greasy chalk has it's way...

After a recent dryish ride:

This was on a ti hardtail I had on test, but I ordinarily appreciate the clearance afforded by the Turner.

Review here if you're interested...

mtbr member

I think the boy needs a little preaching

Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    i am going to bet that he knows all bout riding in mud and trail destruction

damn, that's mucky, Pete. Thanks for another reason to love our bikes.
    Sorry for sounding like a old fart, but...Pete was reving up about his mud riding skills a few weeks ago with some guy and his 25lb, 5 spot. I bit my tounge at his mud photo's then(thinking he just wasn't thinking) he had to know better than ripping up the trails and causing all the trail destruction that my 6 yr old knows better than to do!!! Surely, (I know...don't call you surely), He knows better than that. Doesn't he? please, any one DOESN'T HE????

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LMays

Sorry for sounding like a old fart, but...Pete was reving up about his mud riding skills a few weeks ago with some guy and his 25lb, 5 spot. I bit my tounge at his mud photo's then(thinking he just wasn't thinking) he had to know better than ripping up the trails and causing all the trail destruction that my 6 yr old knows better than to do!!! Surely, (I know...don't call you surely), He knows better than that. Doesn't he? please, any one DOESN'T HE????
    Please think before posting.

You'll look like less on an idiot if you do. Maybe.

"ripping up the trails" LOL, what an assumption.

Those "trails" are BLM roads that are used by 4x4s, ATVs, cattle, bears and big ole D8 cats.

p.s. Perhaps you should go back and read the mud thread again lest you continue to look like an idiot. I never made any mention about my mud riding skills. That's your own little fantasy. In addition, at least one of those mud pictures is yet another fireroad that is used by cattle and peridically graded.

p.p.s. You don't sound like an old fart. You sound like yet another clueless forum dweeb who needs to work on his critical thinking skills.

Roy
    mtbr member
    There must be bentonite in Prescott as well as this setup faster than a wax mold. Never seen anything like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LMays
    Struck a nerve, huh?
    Yeah, my ulnar nerve aka my funny bone.

I LOVE posts like yours because they make me laugh.

(especially when some doofus tries to preach about trail ethics based upon his erroneus assumptions, yet hypocritically lists his favorite trail in his profile, which is poach. And a mediocre poach at that)

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Please think before posting.

You'll look like less on an idiot if you do. Maybe.

"ripping up the trails" LOL, what an assumption.

Those "trails" are BLM roads that are used by 4x4s, ATVs, cattle, bears and big ole D8 cats.

p.s. Perhaps you should go back and read the mud thread again lest you continue to look like an idiot. I never made any mention about my mud riding skills. That's your own little fantasy. In addition, at least one of those mud pictures is yet another fireroad that is used by cattle and peridically graded.

p.p.s. You don't sound like an old fart. You sound like yet another clueless forum dweeb who needs to work on his critical thinking skills.
    Struck a nerve, huh?

mtbr member
    Well, I thought Maine was missing some interesting geology after looking at tscheezy's "Western States" postings. But THAT'S one geological factor we can do without. Ugliest dirt I've ever seen.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

eat my pantaloons

question for Pete...

How do the Panaracer 2.4s handle in normal mud, not the mutant clay here? I need a replacement front tire. I'm currently using WTB Weirwolf 2.5s.

So i recently had what I consider the ultimate clearance challenge. I'm running big tires. Panaracer 2.4s with knobs that get out to the 2.7 range. Love these tires.

We went on this little ride which should have taken 3-3 1/2 hours. We ended up being out over 9 hours due to nasty, nasty bentonite clay.

When other bikes (Santa Cruzes, Titi, an Id, Specialized, etc.) were unable to roll the rear, I was sometimes able to. When the trail finally turned down, I was able to roll the rear and shed better than the rest.

The downside is that because I had so much clearance, when we were in push/drag/carry mode, my bike was much heavier because I was carrying a huge load of clay compared to someone with less clearance.

So I'm happy with the clearance (and won't be going near wet bentonite anytime soon).

p.s. The Maverick has gobs of clearance as well when compared to most other forks.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by erol
    How do the Panaracer 2.4s handle in normal mud, not the mutant clay here? I need a replacement front tire. I'm currently using WTB Weirwolf 2.5s.
    The work much better than Weirfolfs and much, much better than Mutanoraptors.

That comes at price though. There's more rolling resistance on the dry stuff and "normal" mud.

mtbr member
    The work much better than Weirfolfs and much, much better than Mutanoraptors.

That comes at price though. There's more rolling resistance on the dry stuff and "normal" mud.
    Pete,

So you run the 2.4 Panaracers predominately as a mud tire? The reason I ask is on my HT I run 2.1 Fire XC Pros and I love them on our dry, desert, Moab-like terrain (Gooseberry) and have always wondered how the 2.4's would compare on my Spot. FWIW I'm currently running a Weirwolf and Sturdy on the Spot and love 'em, so coming up with the motivation and coin for a new pair of tires that may not work hasn't been easy.

Thanks,
    Crash

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Pete,

So you run the 2.4 Panaracers predominately as a mud tire?
    Nope.

I run them as my tire tire. In all conditions.

They work fine on rock because the rubber is hard enough that the knobs don't squirm on off-camber stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm glad I bike in California.

Jeff