Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Turners

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

Turner proto spy pics

these are pics i snagged of turners prototype d/h and x/c bikes. i was able to take these at the risk of great personal peril..... in 1997 at cactus cup.

Afterburner. so new the paint was still wet. seriously. david sprayed it in the trailer the night before. no one was allowed to touch it. absolutely beautiful bike. sexy even in its simple look and beefyness. bob's fork only helps with the whole thing. gawd i wanted one of these and had no biz owning one. at last my good sense won over and i never got one. tommy misser did however and one for his brother for good measure. think he won some race, or somethin. this one was made for jeremy purdy, turners usa sponsored hot shoe of the day.

Stinger. working prototype. rides welcome as you can see. stiffer that you might think. friggin light too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 06-27-2006 at 09:49 AM. Reason: dramatic effect
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    the stinger looks like its got a little TNT goin' on......

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Great pictures!
    I still wonder if it would be possible to bolt a Afterburner rocker to my SixPack
    to achive 7 inches of rearwheel travel ?
    But I also remember this Kore handlebar,I had one for myself at my M1 and it broke midride! What a pain it was...

BTW,maybe we should start a vintage Turner picture collection ?

Later
    RaD

Trail rider and racer
    WOW for a second I thought these were circa 2005 and I was worrying. Its amazing what a few years does with bike and their associated parts. 8 years seems like a lifetime technology wise.
    Trev!

not a bad idea rad. airwreck? what ya think of a new sticky? i have more. lots more.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Now with flavor!!
    There's a guy that lives here that still rides one of those afterburners.

White too.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    not a bad idea rad. airwreck? what ya think of a new sticky? i have more. lots more.
    Hey, good stuff CC, we'd tossed the idea around before and I will get it going.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    My (now ex-)wife has a small Afterburner. That was the first Turner in the house in '99. Totally sweet bike back in the day (I guess it still is now). Put a modern fork on that bike and it would rock. That bike is what convinced me to go on my (continuing) Turner spree (3 and counting).

Also, what should be considered "vintage"?

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Also, what should be considered "vintage"?
    anything with a full time function sticker, and no disc brake mount or the bolt on. Maybe we could throw rainbow headbadge in there also?

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I would like to have a picture collection and a bit of history lesson if possible about all modells not avaible anymore since , lets say 2000 ?
    We could include bikes like the original Burner XC,Burner DH (I have owned one myself ), Venturner, Afterburner, Stinger,Turners under foreign flag like pictured below, but possibly also interesting prototypes and very small production runs like the Lucky7, Route66, C-note, Rail , Highline protos and what not of the younger history?
    Maybe even DT is willing to give a little insight into the history of Turner bikes?

Later
    RaD

thanx airwreck. ths should be cool, specially for old turnerites such as myself. ive got a good collection of pics but i cant seem to get a upload goin for me lately. comp is headed for the shop next week while im on vacation for a total rebuild and upgrade so maybe when i get back ill post em on the new thread. i even have some candid shots of the man himself if he will approve of their use.

big thanx to rad for pushin the idea back into the spotlight.
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    I really miss how you used to be able to put a sticker on the webbing material of the old style machined BB yoke....

Alaska Turner Mafia

Then, as now, they were all Full Time

fun, fun, fun.....

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

My son!

That little kid in the picture is now 12 and weights over 100 pounds. How time flies.

DT

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    That little kid in the picture is now 12 and weights over 100 pounds. How time flies.

DT
    Man, an entire thread devoted to your creations. Biological as well as metalurgical.

my original rear end reads "full on fun time". it seems it was the thing to do to change the wording around back then. i think most of us did it not knowin others had the same idea. i remember seein more and more of it as the years went by. kinda cool id say.

i talked to dt today and got the go ahead to post more of the pics i have but not the candid ones. ill do some diggin when my comp is fixed, scan em and get em up asap. maybe airweck will have the sticky up by then. wait till ya see the original build pics of my burner with all the blue and yellow bits. its kinda visable in the 3rd shot behind the d/h frame. youll either swoon or puke.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Original '96 Burner build

finally! i can upload once once again!

heres the original speced pic of my burner taken in jan of 1996 at a xc race in casa grande, az. i was still laid up with a badly busted arm so i didnt race but i couldnt help but to take "ike" out for his 1st public viewing none the less.

also some pics of the new and improved swing arm grafix from later that year.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    Don't know where I got this pic from, nor do I know who this frame belongs to.

More pics

a few more as the days pass.

# 1: a tale of 2 Burners. a red '95 a pal of mine raced in pro womens d/h and d/s and my blue '96. the FTW built '95 is one of 2 i followed down big bear and sold me on a Turner over the Pro Flex. huge sigh of relief there huh?

# 2: kinda says it all doesnt it? check out the sweet (for the day) XT pods and cnced clamps holding them to a Answer Hyperlite bar. very custom stuff.

# 3: 4th of july, 1997. i ran down national trail with the flag flowin behind as i demoed those Zipp carbon aero wheels. as you can see i had moved on to a Hell Bent riser bar.

# 4: a small group of Turner owners before our acsent of Telegraph Pass in '98. check out the fresh XCE's. i had my butt handed to me by these 2 colorado boys on their 1st ride of the year 1 day before Cactus Cup.

# 5: "ike" in D/H mode summer of '99 days before the world cup in big bear, ca.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Let me guess, you had a '98 vintage rear shifter pod and a '97 (I think) pod for the front because you could trim out the front derailleur with that shifter?

I have some of the newer pods on one of my old bikes still. Great pickup for any 8 speed retrogrouches out there. I ran the old style ones up until '04 when the front finally gave up the ghost.

Cool stuff.

More new-old pics

a few more i dug up and scanned now that alls workin as it should. thanx to airwreck and gregg at MTBR for the help.

# 1: me and "Ultra Man" at big bear '99

# 2: in the trees at big bear test and tune day '99

# 3: Turner sponsored Jr racer big bear amature cup '00 i think

# 3: Turner sponsored Sr racer big bear amature cup '00

# 4: same guy, a moment later in the same corner. dont know who. a little help DT?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Let me guess, you had a '98 vintage rear shifter pod and a '97 (I think) pod for the front because you could trim out the front derailleur with that shifter?

I have some of the newer pods on one of my old bikes still. Great pickup for any 8 speed retrogrouches out there. I ran the old style ones up until '04 when the front finally gave up the ghost.

Cool stuff.
    wish i could make ya todays star but alas those are both '94 XT pods in clamps made by Bullet Bros (if i recall it right but i may be wrong) that were originally mounted on my '93 Stumpjumper after i sold the 7spd LX and went 8 speed in '94. i have some newer 8spd XT pods on my homegrown h/t but im not aware of any that allow trim. now those would be cool to have. rare as hell i suppose?

the homey is my last 8spd holdout these days besides the burner. i too bit and ran with 9spd on all the other rides, 4 now including the Merckx. i NEED that 34 tooth cog! does that make me old and slow or was i always that way?

speakin of rare, heres one of me actually IN FRONT of someone! wow!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    wish i could make ya todays star but alas those are both '94 XT pods in clamps made by Bullet Bros (if i recall it right but i may be wrong) that were originally mounted on my '93 Stumpjumper after i sold the 7spd LX and went 8 speed in '94. i have some newer 8spd XT pods on my homegrown h/t but im not aware of any that allow trim. now those would be cool to have. rare as hell i suppose?

the homey is my last 8spd holdout these days besides the burner. i too bit and ran with 9spd on all the other rides, 4 now including the Merckx. i NEED that 34 tooth cog! does that make me old and slow or was i always that way?

speakin of rare, heres one of me actually IN FRONT of someone! wow!
    OMG, The time just goes by so fast... IIRC, it was a 7 speed XT (back in the day when only XTR had 8 speed) setup that had the front trim. I then ordered a separate XTR 8 speed pod for the rear and ran the Bullet Bros. pod hangers and Avid SD Ultimate levers. I nursed that setup for about 10 years until the front shifter gave up the ghost.

as ya may know im rebuilding the burner to original spec, or tryin to. ya still got those old bullet bros pod holders?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Don't know where I got this pic from, nor do I know who this frame belongs to.
    Damn, where'd you find that? That's my old Stinger frame, I didn't know that picture was still in existence...

banned
    That was either ebay, or here when I was lurking a few years ago. Beautiful bike and awesome condition. Whatever happened to it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That was either ebay, or here when I was lurking a few years ago. Beautiful bike and awesome condition. Whatever happened to it?
    Ended up selling it a little while ago. It was a really sweet frame, but I'm over 200lbs and wasn't comfortable riding it. Plus I've gotten used to the longer travel of the Burner, and now 5-Spot.

banned
    How did it ride? Did it need platform? How did it stack up in weight and stiffness to the more current offerings?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How did it ride? Did it need platform? How did it stack up in weight and stiffness to the more current offerings?
    It rode a lot better than you'd expect for only 2.8" of travel. The lack of a linkage seemed to make it a little more supple than the Burner on really little stuff. It is definitely a very under-valued frame these days, and the stiffness was very good. If it had stable platform it would compete very well with the Nitrous. I always thought it would be great to talk the guys at Push into putting a stable platform in the shock. Without the stable platform it makes for a nice XC bike, but stable platform would have taken it to the next level and made it a seriuos race weapon.

What's interesting is that I rode a K2 Razorback with the same design, and it didn't ride nearly as well as the Stinger.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I have the pods and pod holders.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I had a Stinger for about 5 years and it's a great X-C race bike. The handling is similar to the Nitrous without the long top-tube. It's X-C racing oriented, but still very Turner-like. I went from the Stinger to the Flux with no suprises. It was the weight champ for FS X-C bikes for a while. The trade off was that the Mac Strut design had a ton of torsional flex. I was shocked at how much stiffer the Flux was the first time I rode it. It also pedaled really well for a pre-platform shock bike. I had to work to get it to bob when pedaling out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think that is Dan Napier. He used to run the Simple Green Team.

do ya now?

I have the pods and pod holders.
    we need to talk. wanna sell?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    we need to talk. wanna sell?
    Sent you a PM...

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    So I will add some stuff to this Thread.
    Here are some pictures of my thrusty Turner Burner DH I used to own.
    I bought the frame used in 2001 and build it up with left over parts as a Trail/Freeridebike.It turned out that this frame,as uncommon as it looks with the 6 inch long headtube for a 17 inch frame was the best ride I ever had in my life, I wish my SixPack would feel the way the BurnerDH does. Do not get me wrong, it is close but not the same.
    The seller said to me that he bought it in early 98 so it is probably a 97, looks similar to the XCE but has 4.5 inches of travel,no disc tabs and was also marketed as Kona "Misser Replica".
    Later more to this...

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I reconized very fast that this bike should be my main ride, so I upgraded it a bit, gave it a new paintjob and added a discmount, wich was avaible for older Specialized bikes.Worked perfectly .
    Unfortunaly I sold the frame in 2003 to buy a SantaCruz heckler.What a big mistake!
    After two Heckler frames (broke one and had several warranty issueswith the new) I was back at a Turner.
    Thank god.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Here some pix from an other Burner DH.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    ...and some more...

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    No worrys,I have some more

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    As some of you might know, Kona started DH racing in the mid 90s but they had no capable bike in their line up.
    So they decided to use frames of a well known other manufacture.
    I think it was in 96 as the Misser brothers,Thomas and Pau raced these frames.
    In the year 97 Kona sold a limited number of "Misser Replica" bikes and finaly in 98 they where able to introduce a self developed ride to the market.The Kona Stab .A friend of mine has owned a 98 KonaStab and you will be surprised how many details from the Burner DH they stole.Basicaly a Turner Burner DH with "TNT".So Konas suspension design is based of DTs knowledge until today.They only downgraded it for their own lineup in my opinion...

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    of course I have more...

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    In 97,I think it was the last year of the Turner/Kona cooperation they started to race and test the new Afterburner.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Here are some pictures of the Afterburner,mostly found somewhere at the web

I still have more pix at my hard drive but I think I allready covered this topic well.

Later
    RaD

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Ok,one more.
    At this webpage is a report about Turner bikes with some interesting pictures.
    Since I do not understand swedish I do know nothing about this frame.
    Looks like a very first Turner to me!

Later
    RaD

mtbr member
    a few more i dug up and scanned now that alls workin as it should. thanx to airwreck and gregg at MTBR for the help.

# 4: same guy, a moment later in the same corner. dont know who. a little help DT?
    #3 is DT in a Fantasy Springs jersey!

looks alot like a re-worked BMC to me. i have one layin around but too beered up to take and post pics. i might also tell the turner/kona story if yer nice. i dont think dt will. hes TOO nice.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    looks alot like a re-worked BMC to me. i have one layin around but too beered up to take and post pics. i might also tell the turner/kona story if yer nice. i dont think dt will. hes TOO nice.
    MMMmmmmMmmmmm...beeeeeer...arghghghghghghghh...

Do tell...

I was also thinking a timeline of Turner bikes from the beginning might be a cool thing. See the offshoots and design changes through the years, as well as the collaborations with other manufacturers.

So how did it start? David was a pro motocross rider then went to work on bicycles? Or was he a cyclist prior to that? How long was he a pro mountain biker?
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 11-12-2005 at 05:49 AM.

Never enough time to ride
    Really does look a lot like yer BMC, cept this ones got a horst link!! hmmmm.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

yer right! i didnt see the h/l before. id post some pics of the bmc for comparison but i dont have a xp compatable reader for my pic disc yet. friggin things on b/o form best buy. but ill tell ya this much. bmc is sweedish, looks like this "turner" has all the exact same fittings right down to the risse shock mount assembly except for all the swiss cheese and a slightly diff swing arm attatchment. as far as i know this was never in the line up so it would be interesting to see what dt has to say about it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

no way! i remember that team. some so cal casino right? dt himself live in action! how cool is that? i took that one years ago obviously and i thought it was a kid. i musta been drunk at the time or is he really that short? thanx velo.
    No, I'm NOT back!

a timeline thread would be such a cool thing to do and add to airwrecks sticky. nice call mr chicken! i could add some to it but not sure i have whats needed to do it myself. perhaps a collaberation is in order? ill ask dt if he will help out. pm me if anyone else is interested in workin it out.
    No, I'm NOT back!

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    i might also tell the turner/kona story if yer nice. i dont think dt will. hes TOO nice.
    I only know what I posted above remembering reading in some magazines several (close to 10 years) years ago.
    I do not know the truth but I got the feeling that there was something foolish going on, Kona ripped of DT in some way I might guess.

I am sorry if I digged out some bad history and do not want to hurt any feelings, DT.

Later
    RaD

The Turner/Kona connection explained

ok boys and girls. a HUGE disclamer here! this is a unofficial story but as i hear it, pretty accurate none the less. its been discussed in some mags in the past and around the industry but its been many years since it went down so i figure its safe to tell now. the other point i wanna make is this is kinda one sided as i never discussed this with the folks i know at kona. my hope is not to piss anyone off in bellingham but to let you homers in on just how mello a guy dt is and provide a little history. fair enough? good. here goes.....

once uppon a time, kona sponsored the misser brothers. as rad said, kona didnt have a world cup ready bike, turner did and it was considered the to be one of the best on the hill if not A # 1, so kona worked a deal with dt, bought a few, painted them gold and went racing. i beleive it was '97 that thomas rode the Afterburner to a couple of world cup wins and a championship. good deal for everyone involved and congrats! this was turners first rainbow stiped bike and id say they were damn proud even though they couldnt outright say "we won!" to the public due to the lack of turner stickers on the frame but we all knew what was what.

so sometime that season or just after, a deal was struck between turner and kona to produce some misser replica frames with turner geo and fittings but made by kona via licensing agreement. so the drawings are sent to bellingham from colorado, then the base for turner bikes, for final review before a deal is signed. now heres where it goes bad. dt goes to the kona offices for a chit chat, presumably to sign the deal and is told its a no go but thanx just the same for all the help. so he picks up his loaned drawings and empty checkbook and starts headin out the door. oh but wait! what do his wandering eyes see? a friggin stack of turner copies with kona logos and a "misser replica" sticker on the fresh gold paint. nice! ok, so maybe they werent painted yet but ya get the idea. (edit: now that i think about it, maybe he hadnt in fact given them anything, yet they had some drawings for the frame on a table and told him where the dougnuts were rolling. yep, i think thats it.) all i can say is way to play it straight up guys.

does turner sue? no. do they talk crap? no. when asked about the whole thing, dt says in a MBA interview soon after that being copied is the highest form of flattery. well by now he shoulda been used to it as most everything out there at the time was a rocker bike of some sort and alot still are. consider yerself flattered mr turner! and thanx for the lesson in class. personally i woulda put a lit bag of dog poop on their doorstep, rung the bell and skedaddled! that woulda showed em by golly!
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 11-12-2005 at 05:02 PM. Reason: self doubt
    No, I'm NOT back!

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Woaw,that was a major screwing going there!
    I thought they(Kona) sold some of DTs bikes to help him out a bit for his effort.
    I can not belive they treated him in such a manner but still use the same basic design until today... .This part of history seems to be darker as I ever imagined.
    Do you think I have to delete the Kona/Turner pictures I posted since they are no Turners?
    Would be better,hu?

Anyway,thanks for clarification,Cactus!

Later
    RaD

dont worry about the kona pics id say. its all part of the history if ya ask me. and as i said, there could be way more to it than what i told ya here. or even a different and more accurate version. the plan is NOT to bag on kona here. i have pals there and i do like their stuff alot. its old news and its not worth squat at this point other than a lesson learned.

its a silly industry with this guy copyin that guy with no consiquences, and that guy payin for his own design to this guy, another guy sayin he has this totally new idea but its really a reworked old plan, the custy forced into a R&D rider role as stuff is churned out before its fully tested or its just plain junk, misinformation or misleading statements w/ on line warehouses and the IBD in serious jeopardy..... so on and so on. screw it all. hit a good trail, ride yer fave bike and keep on smilein all the while. i should stop takin all this crap so seriously myself but its hard not to when it pays my bills, ya know? enough of this. i shall speak no more about it in this thread and i now appologize to you all for bringin it in here. back to the classics!
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    a timeline thread would be such a cool thing to do and add to airwrecks sticky. nice call mr chicken! i could add some to it but not sure i have whats needed to do it myself. perhaps a collaberation is in order? ill ask dt if he will help out. pm me if anyone else is interested in workin it out.
    I'd love to help, although I can really only offer my writing skills. It would be great to see something about history on the website, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ...

Classics

~~~~~~~~
    Here is a timeline thread from a while back.

An old Burner thread.

Some history.

banned
    double post
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 11-12-2005 at 12:08 PM.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Ok,back to the classics.
    I have several pictures of Turner Stingers at my harddrive,do not ask where I have found them,I do not know...?

Later
    RaD

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    And a nice XCE ...

Later
    RaD

banned
    Here's what could start a possible outline:

1. DT's MX experience.
    2. Move to and experience with AMP
    3. Interim
    4. Meeting with Sherwood Gibson/advent of Turner Bicycles.
    5. Design process and invention of the rocker link and sealed bushing system.
    6. Industry collaborations (Kona, Mongoose, etc.).
    7. Racing.
    8. Stinger design.
    9. Move to Ca.
    10. Advent of the 5 Spot design.
    11. Nitrous design and testing and Geoff Kabush's record
    12. Experimental Turners

All throughout, development and builds of specific bikes could be placed in there. Maybe even some blueprints and manufacturing photos?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaD
    Since I do not understand swedish I do know nothing about this frame.
    Looks like a very first Turner to me!
    So... you already forgot I translated that page for you?

Highline fans

Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Oh yes, we had this Thread some month before.
    Thanks for the reminder,TNT !

Later
    RaD

heres a old thread callin for pics and info on all things turner for a detailed timeline:

lemme start by sayin I DONT WANT PICS OR INFO ON THIS THREAD! PM ME WITH INPUT PLEASE! all this is is a call to those interested in helpin out with a cool idea. ok? ok.

ive talked to dt at length about a super sticky turner timeline. hes totally in! thinks its a killer idea and wants to see it done. we provide the pics and he will write a paragraph on each design incarnation explaining its birth, design idea and such. im willin to put in the time to make it somethin to see but ill need some help compileing the pics and data as well as a suitable format for the thread, so i call those with pics, info and expertise to make this happen.

again please oh gawd please DONT RUIN THE SUPRISE AND START POSTIN PICS OR INFO ON THIS THREAD! PM ME INSTEAD! all this is is a call to those interested and willin to participate.

and heres a freshly updated rehash of my mini-turner timeline:

ok kids, heres the real deal. well at least some of it.

the original production burner was made in '95 and can be seen in the 1st pic. its the one in back with the red bits and had a bridge from the down tube to the seat tube supporting the lower shock mount. it had 2.75" of travel but a 3.6" rocker was made for the d/h crowd and can be seen in the 2nd pic. they were a hard part to find at the time and as far as i know was not produced after '95. production of the burner ended in '98, being replaced by the o2 in '99 but was reintroduced in '02 i think and ran through '04 when it was once again replaced, this time with the '05 flux. edit: if ya look close, ya can see a small gusset wrapped around the botom of the headtube to the downtube in the first pic. this factory mod was done to fix cracks that developed on frames that were bein raced in d/h events such as this one.

the 2nd year burner was produced in '96 and had a machined section supporting the shock, b/bkt and swingarm. this was done to reduce weight and increase lateral stiffness as well as provide better allignment of the chassis, not to cure breakage as mentioned before. the only serious breakage issue was in the headtube area which was cured also in '96 with a substancial gusset. both these mods can be seen in pic 1 on the bike with the blue bits and also more clearly in the 2nd pic . edit: it also got a new, stronger headtube.

the xce was introduced in the '98 model year and was made through '02 like the one in the 3rd pic. it used the same rocker geometry as the 3.6" burner rocker but was made much lighter and stronger. in '99 it got a 4" rocker. this chassis stayed basically the same till its demise in '03 i think when it was replaced by the 5 spot.

other notable turners. my notes and those of mk and nick3216 show this all to be accurate. anything im not pretty sure of has a "(?)" following the date in question:

Original Turner - '93. --------------- a short travel soft tail he brought to mammoth for the classic kamikaze manufacturers d/h race and won with. only 1 made (?).
    Twin Turner - '96 (?). --------------- a 3.6” burner tandam if you will. only 1 was made by sportech for dt and his ex. it now lives in the uk and is still ridden.
    Stinger - '98 - '01. --------------------- just shy of 3". cancelled due to propriatary shock issues. way cool bike if ya ask me.
    Burner D/H - '97. ---------------------- 3.6". a stepping stone to the afterburner.
    Afterburner - '98 - '99. -------------- a great 7" d/h bike but not good enough.
    DHR - '00 (officially) - present. - 7.6" originaly. replaced the afterburner and has been refined through the years. now a 8.5" bike.
    02 - '99 - '02. ---------------------------- a super light 3.1" version of the burner.
    RFX - '98 - '02. ------------------------- maybe the first semi unbreakable 5" freeride frame known. made with 6" in '00 on. shut down due to low sales.
    5 Spot - '03 - present. -------------- turners best selling frame. the perfect trail bike?
    6 Pack / RFX - '04 - present. ---- a pure work horse, do it all frame now re badged as the re born "RFX". xc and big hucks, heres yer ride.
    Flux - '05 - present. ----------------- weeeeeeeee! the new burner? hardly! a way better unit with faster geometry. lighter too! xc and epic ride fun here.
    Nitrous - '05 - present. ------------- skinny assed xc racers only need apply. land based speed mobile.
    Highline - '06 - present. ----------- the new mega huck platform built for and tested by folks who go huge. really, really huge.

who built my turner? this should answer yer basic questions. over time i may add to this with some detailed info on each:

"94 - --------------- Ventana built the 1st 150 turner's, later to be dubbed the burner my mountain bike action. quality work spured growing sales leading to a new vendor.
    '95 - ---------------- FTW (frank the welder). frank waddington, one of the first big named welders for hire in the industry, welded the early barracuda's, yeti's and turners's.
    '96 - '02 - --------- Sportech took the burner and its offspring to new levels of performance, quality and innovation with features like the machined b/bkt assembly.
    '03 - present - - SAPA now makes the entire line with in house tubesets and others comming from different vendors depending on the model, all from the usa.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 06-14-2006 at 09:17 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

heres a great shot of big teds 1st year '00 dhr. can you say boxy?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Bad call cc. It's an '02. As I understand one of the last batch produced before DT flipped the link, increased the travel and went to the 1.5 headtube for the 03s.

It's also a large, hence the scaffolding-esque seat tower compared to xcspeeds orange beauty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    cactuscorn

that is an 02 DHR not a 00
    i own a 00. it has removable shock mounts on the main frame

this

is a 00 DHR

Quote Originally Posted by dualdirtman
    cactuscorn

that is an 02 DHR not a 00
    i own a 00. it has removable shock mounts on the main frame

this

is a 00 DHR
    my bad. thanx for the save guys. both are beauties!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Flyin Canine
    Hey cactus you forgot the XCE in your second to the last post. How could you?

~~~~~~~~
    96 Afterburner from ebay.
    machined out rockers?
    tempted to buy it just for the rear disc adaptor .

tg
    mtbr member
    OLD BUT FUN...... TILL IT BROKE (RIP) 97 OR 98 not sure. So many great rides and almost 10 years for this sweet burner . LOVED THIS BIKE! ..... the flux I ride now is even BETTER.
    Last edited by tg; 04-16-2007 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member

History wall

Cobbled this together, this is the resting place of the Misser Brothers downhill Turner/Kona,Schwinn,Yeti and Klein frames.

Stay off the brakes

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I found some interesting scans of Kona's 98 brochure.The brass colored bike in the pictures of course is a Turner Burner DH.

RaD

ahhhh yes, when dh courses were babys ass smooth, speeds were blindingly fast, brakes were miserably under engineered and all we wore was dinner dress length lycra. the stab was a damn fine deal at the time but "competetive with the pros" of the day? not so much.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

A fine resurection of a thread this is

There are many many past fine models of Turner bikes. The whole time I trailed behind the THC in Moab on Porc (paranoia taking front seat, not the bike) I wondered what the Turner Horde would have thought if they had decided to swap bikes with me. They then would have been riding a low-miles 2004 Burner with XR Rockers, PUSHed RP3 and a 2007 Revelation that, along with the shock, had maybe 7 miles on it. I love this bike now (after the tweaks) and I probably will keep it forever. 27 lbs, plush, what seems like more than 4" in back, a great trailbike. Here it is last Spring sporting a Reba and the previous PUSHed Float RL, overlooking the scenery at the start of the climb up Top of The World (a trail that the THC should consider in future THCs). This is my desktop on my other computer.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006

2001 O2

nice dave! its cool to see the o2 represented here and even cooler to see the old bikes upgraded and kept alive. i saw those at the show in '00 and was ready to trade in the burner at 1st sight but never did. i just have 1 question. does yer girlfriend know ya took her seat?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    dave are those bars post crash or is there some distortion on my monitor.......

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    nice dave! its cool to see the o2 represented here and even cooler to see the old bikes upgraded and kept alive. i saw those at the show in '00 and was ready to trade in the burner at 1st sight but never did. i just have 1 question. does yer girlfriend know ya took her seat?

Your so funny, it's my wife's bike. I built it up as new rider friendly as possible. It has the DT Swiss 9mm front and 10mm rear axles, XCE rockers, 100mm Reba Race, comfortable seat, etc...

Since she's so small I could go with fairly light components with no fear she'd could break anything.

So far her riding and confidence have improved by leaps and bounds... a good bike can do that.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a '04 Burner. Put a Dakine sticker on it so it's a DakineBurner!
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    96 Afterburner from ebay.
    machined out rockers?
    tempted to buy it just for the rear disc adaptor .
    Thought about bidding on that one and the yellow one as well. If you do only want it for the adapter I can give the frame a good home

Do we know who grabbed the yellow one?
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

turner rail i used to own

turner timeline: 2008

turner timeline: 2008. i thought it high time to update my mini-turner timeline i 1st posted 6/14/06. so much for mini. i hope you find it more complete, accurate and helpful than before. ok kids, lets start with some history and details on the ever popular Turner Burner, the bike that eventually brought us all here:

'92
    Turner Suspension Bicycles was started by David Turner in Eagle, Colorado where he began designing and testing his own frames.

'93
    the birth of his 1st frame, a 1-off Horst Link soft tail. DT wins his dh class at Mamouth on it. work begins on the next frame and a few variable rate rocker driven prototypes are made and tested. no one seems all that excited about the rise and fall of the shock rate with riders complaining of harshness.

'94
    the 1st batch of 150 original production V-1 '95 Burners (Version 1), were made by Ventana Mountain Bikes in Rancho Cordova, California. many were raced by the top pros of the day yet you would be hard pressed to find a turner logo on those bikes since most riders were sponsored by other large bike companies and teams who purchased the frames from Turner, a practice carried on through the mid 2000's.

they were not known as the Turner Burner quite yet. that name came from a Mountain Bike Action magazine bike test in 10/94 and it stuck. it was actually 1st known as the FTF (Full Time Function). that moniker was prominently displayed in black caps on the shock stays but clever owners would break out a razor blade and change it to say things like "FULL TIME FUN" and "FULL ON FUN TIME".

these linear rate, fully active suspension frames were built from straight guadge Alcoa 6013 tubes, had a lower shock mount bridge from the down tube to the seat tube (similar to the current Flux and Sultan), 2.75" of travel via a black anno rocker with a white Turner logo and a Fox Alps air shock valved specifically for each frame size. cable routing was under the top tube. other features were a ball burnished finish, black Turner logo stickers, 73.5/71.5 geo, a 27.2 reducer sleeve welded atop the seat tube, 2 bolt replaceable derailleur hanger, a sivler cnc machined alloy seatpost qr and a welded canti mount on the shock stay yoke. they even came with a Fox shock pump.

all Turner frames, other than the post '97 dh frames and the Highline, use journal bearings (often called bushings) for incredible strength and surprising longevity with very little maintenance. a occasional shot of grease into the zerk fittings found on every Turner frame ever made is all you need to keep it quiet for up to 3 years depending on personal conditions.

'95
    Ventana could no longer keep up with the demand for Burners so fabrication then moved into the Tempe, Arizona shop of FTW (Frank the Welder) for a short time. as Burners kept getting built, a polished 3.6" rocker w/ a black logo was made for the d/h crowd, both rockers were a welded 3 piece unit. the FTW made DH rocker was a hard part to find at the time and as far as i know was not produced as a upgrade part after '95 but was seen on a few later models such as the Twin and Burner DH. a full moto plate welded to the toptube, downtube and headtube or a small gusset wrapped around the botom of the headtube to the downtube can be found on some old burners. these factory warranty mods were done to fix cracks that developed on frames that were bein raced in d/h events. of course these repaired frames were repainted and so began the now famous Turner customer service.

'96
    the V-2 Burner was produced for the '96 model year by Sportech in Corona, California and had a beautifuly machined bottom bracket section supporting the shock, b/bkt and swingarm. this was done to reduce weight and increase lateral stiffness as well as provide better allignment of the chassis, not to cure breakage as sometimes believed. the only serious breakage issue was in the headtube which was cured in '96 with a substantial box type gusset under the downtube and a stronger, internally machined headtube. cable routing was moved to the 2 o'clock position on the top tube. also seen was a 34.9 black anno seat post clamp and a black anno bolt-on cable stop atop the shock stay yoke. it was the year of the v brake afterall. the move to a 3 bolt replaceable derailleur hanger and 31.6 seatpost was made but a black anno 27.2 TNT Performance Products reducer was provided with every frame.

'98
    the classic Burner begins a long hiatus, at least by name alone, becomming the coil sprung Burner XC for 1 year followed by the somewhat similar O2. it wasnt seen again till '02 when it reappeared with lower standover, "Taco" gusset from the seattube to the top of the downtube, butted top and downtubes and a lighter, stiffer 2 piece "X" rocker like is so common with more current models through '06. after these upgrades, it went away again at the end of '04 and was replaced buy the '05 Flux. the end of 1 era and the beginning of another? time will tell. the '98's returned to a different 2 bolt replaceable derailleur hanger thats remained virtually unchanged since.

a short personal note on Horst Link vs. TNT: please save any further discussion for the many existing threads that cover this subject.
    David Turner was there, working with Horst Lietner of AMP Research as a Mongoose test rider and pro xc stud when the Horst Link (HL) was 1st drawn up in '90 and continued to use it on all his 4 Bar frames even after the rights were sold to Specialized who then licensed it to all takers in '00. 5 years later, he licensed ICT (Instant Center Tracking) from Ellsworth Bicycles in order to (in short) continue to use the HL and a flat profile rocker.

in '06, Turner dropped the much touted HL that was used from the very beginning for TNT due to a growingly difficult licenseing agreement and the discovery of a way to design around it without any loss of performance, as agreed uppon by most riders who have tested both back-to-back. some will even say theres a improvement now that a pivot point between the swingarm and axle has been relocated to the shockstay. the move to TNT negated both the ICT and HL patents and freed Turner to return to doing things their own way on their own terms.

a short personal note on RFX versions. through it all the basic freeride intent of the frame remains the same but continues to expand and blur into new territory. theres been some argument on how many versions exist and where they fit into the timeline. my line of thinking, and this has been approved by DT, is that:
    V-1: the original RFX is the V-1 as all things stayed basically the same until '00 when it got a full pound of beef added to the tubset making it the superman of bikes. besides this massive change in wall thickness it saw a few tweeks and a change of rockers. a early freeride sled but not a good climber for the meek to be honest. there are those who want the '00 - '02 RFX to have its own version in this timeline but so far im holding out for a bribe.

V-2: the V-2 RFX is the type made following the 6 Pack and the demise of the beloved Horst Link. here we see substantial geo changes, a shallower 6" rocker and a whole new tubeset for a more reasonable weight and improved ride just for starters. this is when it became a climber and a true all mountain rig.

V-3: along with the V-3 came not only more big changes in the geo, but in other big design departures such as leverage ratio, tubeset, girder rockers and reduced weight. these changes made it posible to build a sub 34 lb long travel bike capable of epic rides for almost anyone.

notable turners. my notes and those of so many others show this all to be accurate. anything im not pretty damn sure of has a "(?)" following the fact in question:

Original Turner - '93.
    a short travel soft tail David Turner brought to mammoth for the classic kamikaze manufacturers d/h race and won with. only 1 made.

Burner (V-1) - '95.
    a 2.75" xc trail and race bike that saw time in the early days of DH races with a 3.6" rocker option. possibly the 1st and arguably one of the few bikes that positively changed the full suspension bike world forever. maybe one of the most consistantly copied designs in modern bicycle history. speced with a 1.5 x 6.5 fox alps 4.

Burner (V-2) - '96 - '97.
    a revised 2.75" xc trail and race bike very much like its predisessor but with machined bits and some needed headtube work. speced with a 1.5 x 6.5 fox alps 4R in '96 and a alps 5R in '97.

Twin - '97.
    a 3.6” Burner tandam if you will. only 1 was made by sportech for DT. it now lives in the uk and is still ridden today.

Burner DH - '97.
    3.6". a stepping stone to the afterburner. a big tubed Burner with a grotesquley tall headtube and kong sized moto plates.

Burner XC - '98.
    new name for a old frame. still with 2.75 inches of rear wheel travel, the classic geo is retained for a single crown fork with 65-75mm of travel. we see a factory installed coil shock on a Buner for the 1st time as it comes speced with the new Fox Vanilla TC adding compression and rebound controls. another 1st is the option of bolt on disc or clamp on rim brake mounts on all '98 models. both adaptor styles are now very hard to find.

Burner XCE - '98 - '02.
    the official factory 3.6" refinement of the classic Burner and a compliment to the newly renamed Burner XC. with relaxed geo, a single crown fork with 80-90mm of travel was reccomended. it was also speced with the Fox Vanilla TC. at 6.7 lbs, it was made much stronger than previous Burners and the Turner all mountain frame is born. in '99 it got a 4" "XR" rocker. this chassis stayed basically the same till its demise.

Stinger - '98 - '01.
    2.8". i suppose you might say this is Davids take on the Mac Strut design. very stiff in the rear for a change, and super light for the day. a true xc race rig with butted tubes stellar american national event results. cancelled due to propriatary shock supply issues. way cool bike if ya ask me. speced with a fox air vanilla r pull shock.

Afterburner DH - '98 - '99.
    a great 7" d/h bike with very sexy lines and a vast improvement over the previous Turner dh model in both asthetics and performance. good enough to win a silver at the worlds. this also introduced the fwd rocker pivot now standard on most Turners and needle bearings on dh frames.

RFX (V-1) - '98 - '99.
    5" freeride frame for the masses. 7.7 lbs of fun, but most riders didnt want their friends to see them on it. sorry, wrong punchline. point being, it was a big fat brick of a frame that did it all.

O2 - '99 - '02.
    a super light 5.6 lb, 3.1" version of the burner.

Javelin - '99.
    7.6" dh bike designed to compete with France's very succesful steel tubed Sun bikes. Turner’s first single pivot suspension bike and one of the 1st ISCG frames on the market. this ultra boxy unit replaced the afterburner. its possible this was a team only design and never saw the open market. (more details needed on all these dh models. please contact me outside of this thread if ya care to share.)

RFX (V-1.1) - '00 - '02.
    now speced with 6" rockers and beefed up by a full pound, this beast now weighs 8.7 lbs + and is considered to be semi unbreakable except for the hollowed out disc mount on the '00 model which was redesigned in '01 as a solid chunk of cnc'ed perfection. shut down due to low sales. 2 different sets of 5" and 6" rockers were made for the RFX over the years providing some geo tweeks. all 4 sets are now coveted by old school pureists and current owners seek them out. because theyre tough as a $2 steak, many still exist and are ridden hard to this day.

DHR - '00 (officially) - present.
    originaly the Javelin, it too had 7.6", its official name was the DH Racer and has been massively refined through the years. now a 8.5" bike. somewhere in here fits the C-Note or so im told. (more details needed on all these dh models. please contact me outside of this thread if ya care to share.)

Burner (V-3) - '02 - '04.
    she's baa-aaaack! lighter, stonger and better than ever to boot. now with the 2 piece 3.6" "X" rocker the XCE made famous, butted top and downtubes, IS disc mount and improved standover. if ya have one, look for a set of the semi-rare 4" "XR" rockers. ladies and gentlemen! please help me welcome the "Taco"!

5 Spot - '03 - present.
    Turners best selling frame that many feel to be the perfect trail bike, has seen a variety of shocks and rockers over the years including the original 5.1", a 5.3" version in '05 and finally the latest 5.5" unit introduced in '07 was far lighter and stiffer with its wider and tapered girder like design. the '07 also had a slightly higher b/bkt. asymetrical chainstays followed later in the season.

Mauler - '03.
    this one was tough to pin down but i think i pulled it off... kinda. its sorta like a light '02 RFX. Spot geo w/ a taller b/bkt, Spot rear w/ RFX yokes for tire clearence, 1.5" headtube, shallow rockers and easton tubes built for a single Fontana race course. ill let DT explain further: "the Mauler was a name lovingly given the frame by it's owner, as in the Fontana Mauler. there is ONLY ONE MAULER, that was it. Anodized Flame job on the frame." yet earlyer he says this: "It was custom for the original owner and myself. Mine was painted red, this one anodized. "DT continues: "The guy who owns the twin stopped by a month ago...". im confused but it sounds like there were 2, the red one and the namesake anno flame frame, both mediums. 1 pops up on ebay once in a great while.

Route 66 '03.
    another tough one but ill tell ya what i found so far. as DT says: "A 66 is just a ('02) RFX (yeah, same geo but with lighter tubing and a 1.5" DHR headtube) another earlier attempt by me to dump the RFX moniker. I think a co worker back in the day, Jeff, came up with 66. His was one of the Large frames. There are only 4 of these, 2 medium, 2 large. The (medium) red powdercoated one was mine." again, another ebay find these days.

Six Pack - '04 - '05.
    a 6" travel work horse, do it all frame. a climbable beast that has its rider salivating when someone says "Look! Another desent!" and a huckers delight. the model that started the "frankenbike" trend where rides started to swap odd sized shocks, rear end pices and rockers with the Spot and even older RFX's to alter geo creating "5 Packs", "7 Packs" and a single "SPaaNB" (Six Pack and a Nickle Bag). much love can still be found for this frame and seeing as how well made it is, that love will continue for a long time to come. exact same front triangle and rockers are shared with the '06 RFX but this is to be the final year of the 6" HL freeride Turner. so long old freind.

Rail - '04.
    maybe best described as a 4.5" mini DHR w/ adjustable b/bkt height via a flip type shock mount and no place for a front derailluer. it looks like this was the 1st Turner 4X frame but at 9 lbs, now considered way to portly for competition. today, its a good fit for dirt jumping, BMX sessions and shuttle days on med/heavy trails as its a lousy climber w/ its DHR geo and tubeset.

C-Note - '04.
    described as a "budget DHR" by one talented and experienced rider, rumor has it only 2 were built. very light compared to the DHR and other bikes of the time. no shock linkage on this 7" dh rig means adjustability of the rear ends feel was a issue.

Flux - '05 - present.
    4"s of weeeeeeeee! the new burner? hardly! this more refined design with faster feeling yet more confidence inspiering geometry really opened the door to more aggressive trail riding in a medium travel rig. lighter too! in '06 the entire line moved to the TNT rear tri otherwise the Flux remained consistant till '08 when it too saw a new asym chainstay and a much lighter, stiffer shockstay yoke patterned after the Nitrous as well as the updated girder style rocker. daily xc, trail, xc/endurance race and epic ride fun found here.

Nitrous - '05 - '07.
    3" full on pro level xc race bike with a 165 pound rider weight limit. Geoff Kabush wins 5 NORBA championships and sets a single season win record, all within 3 years, riding this frame so that should tell you something. skinny assed and heavily dedicated xc racers only need apply. a land based rocketship without the rockets. skin suit not included. no changes other than TNT in '06. recently cancelled due to failing sales and a weak xc race bike market.

RFX V-2 - '06.
    originally called the Six Pack for 2 years previous, then rebadged as the reborn RFX after the TNT rear was instituted in this model year. no other changes were made and all parts are compatable with previous Spot, Six Pack and RFX models.

Highline - '06 - present.
    originally speced with 8" of travel, reduced to 7.1" mid year '07 for a lower b/bkt height and improved handeling. the new mega huck platform built for and tested by folks who go huge. really, really huge. now, after a few years and some chainstay/seatstay teething problems, the design has been refined into a reliable chassis that is 1 of the top contenders when looking for a big huck, freeride park and mega-tech-trail sled thats said to climb like "a spider monkey getting a fire ant and Tabasco enema." at least most agree its a dandy freeride bike.

RFX (V-3) - '07 - present.
    in '07, it went through a massive redesign and now has 6.4" of plush travel, a lower leverage ratio much to our delight, shorter cockpit, is far lighter and it introduced those sexy asymetrical stays and girder style rockers. the 1st Turner of its kind to see the sub 34 lb build mark and live to tell about it. 30 - 33 lbs is common. all day xc/trail/am epics and hucks... heres yer ride. the only question left is will it replace the most excellent Spot as the king of the do-it-all Turners?

Sultan - '07 - present.
    turner embraces the 29'er movement with this 4" ripper and the celebrations begin immediately. due to it's instant success and low availability, Sultan zelots instead build and occupy towers made in its honor keeping all out besides those who ride the proper horse. virtually anyone who's owned one say this is some of the finest work turner has done yet, and consiquentually, sold their Spots.

4X - '07 (officialy) - present.
    although a handfull were built prior to '07 for team riders, the Turner 4" travel 4X is a VERY limited production mountaincross race frame in very limited sizes normally available on special order only. all these "Factory Frankenbikes", as DT calls em, are built from Spot and RFX tubes, some stock parts, and some custom parts, even a few cutomized stock parts. look close and you will see several differences in lower shock mount as well as lower main pivot locations.

theres a few models like the DHR, Lucky 7, Javilin and C-Note that i dont have many details on and the few i do have are sketchy so a little help would be cool. pm me and ill fix it up.

who built my turner? this should answer yer basic questions. over time i may add to this with some detailed info on each:

'94 ----------------- Ventana built the 1st 150 turner's, later to be dubbed the burner my mountain bike action. quality work spured growing sales leading to a new vendor.

'95 ------------------ FTW (frank the welder). frank waddington, one of the first big named welders for hire in the industry, welded the early barracuda's, yeti's and turners's.

'96 - '02 ----------- Sportech took the burner and its offspring to new levels of performance, quality and innovation with features like the machined b/bkt assembly.

'03 - present --- SAPA now makes the entire line with in house tubesets and others comming from different vendors depending on the model, all from the usa.

Olympic Powdercoating of Santa Ana, California does all the paint work and has for years. for just how long, i dunno. not sure who did/does the anno/coating work on things such as the older anno frames and parts or the new style girder rockers.
    Additional notes:
    '92 - DT begins designing frames under his own name.

'93 - DT wins the Mannoth Mountain Kamikaze manufacturers dh race on 1 of his own soft tail bike designs.

'94 - Several top dh pros ride restickered Turner 4 bar linkage FTF bikes in National competition. Production begins and the Burner gets tested and named in MBA with rave reviews.

'95 - The 1st 150 Burners are sold out. Production is moved to FTW. 2 bolt derailluer hanger and ball burnished finish w/ black stickers.

'96 - The Burner gets its 1st makeover; a machined b/bkt assembly, stronger headtube/gusset, removable cable stop and 31.6 mm I.D. seat tube.

'97 - Turner up's the line to 2 frames and releases the Burner DH which Kona's Thomas Misser wins several World Cup races on then places 3rd in the Finals. Kona is allowed to buy frames, paint them gold and sell them as Kona Misser Replicas. the rest of us get ball burnished, red and black color options w/ 2 tone stickers. The derailluer hanger is redesigned to a 3 bolt.

'98 - 5 frames are now made: the Burner XC and XCE, Stinger, RFX and Afterburner DH. welded on canti mounts are history and customers are given the option of a bolt on disc brake adaptor or the beautiful clamp on rim brake mounts on all models. The derailluer hanger returns to a 2 bolt design. Color Options: Ball Burnished, Semi-Gloss Black, Gloss Black, Candy Blue, Metallic Gray, Dark Metallic Green, Candy Red and Yellow. Frame stickers available in Black, White, Red, Yellow, Chrome, Blue and Orange. For a nominal up charge, they offer anodized finished frames in blue, black, green and pewter. The rear ends are always polished and the rockers are always black. The derailluer hanger is redesigned to a 2 bolt version with a new bolt pattern that remains today. they are not compatable with the original 2 bolt from '04 - '06.

'99 - The Burner XC is dropped and the lighter O2 is introduced in its place. Turner moves to Murrietta, California and sells complete bikes with XT and XTR build kit options. Colors: Bright Red, Gloss Black, Spring Yellow, Sid Blue, Cobalt Blue, Polished, Custom.

'00 - Colors: Gloss Black, Semi Gloss Black, Blood Red, Bright Yellow, Indigo Blue, Candy Blue, Forest Green Metallic, Charcoal Grey Metallic, Double Polished, Custom.

'01 - Color Options: Ball Burnished, Semi-Gloss Black, Gloss Black, Candy Blue, Metallic Gray, Dark Metallic Green, Candy Red and Yellow. Frame stickers available in Black, White, Red, Yellow, Chrome, Blue and Orange. Anodized frames in blue, black, green and pewter.

'02 - The Burner awakes after 3 years in a coma but the RFX is starting to sleep alot, slipping into its own long dream by years end. Turner web site opens its Goody Store and starts a Turner of the Month photo contest.

'03 - The 5 Spot is born and sales of this baby and its limbs have gone through the roof ever since.

'04 - Last year of the Burner. Several are sold at Supergo bike shops later in the year and into '05 for as little as $600 until gone. Paul Components makes a aftermarket XR rocker. Turner releases the 6 Pack; riders climb the highest mountains looking for one and regularly ride a loop back to the top once a frame is found. This is the last year of stock painted rears.

'05 - The Flux replaces the Burner. Polished clear anno is offered on select models. ICT is licensed 7/13/05 and the little green stickers start showing up mid season but seem to fall off soon after the frames are purchased. Turner caves to customer pressure and redesigns the derailleur hanger after complaints that it bends too easily. they begin to snap instead.

'06 - TNT replaces HL, customers and the industry are shocked. Turner moves to a stock anno finish on all models other than the DHR. The 6 Pack is renamed RFX. The Highline is offered late in the year but a mix up of tubes at SAPA forces a recall of all V-1 rear triangles, These are replaced with the V-2.

'07 - The Highline hits production full stide yet V-2 rears continue to fail due to improper heat treating. These are again recalled, redesigned, replaced with the V-3 and the failures stop. More late season production woes as the anno proccess literally eats frames causing huge delivery delays for the '07's. Anno is scrapped for powdercoat and frames hit stores mid year. After years of begging customers, Turner offers a 4" 29'er and the Sultan is a instant industry hit. The DHR gets round tubes and a 7 lb RFX is offered. Push Industries offers a 5.75" rocker for the Spot and the Sultan crew soon discovers its compatability. after 2 years of brittle derailleur hangers, Turner again redesigns it with a rounded corner rather than the sharp point at the end of the step and the breakage stops. riders rejoice.

'08 - Sadly, the Nitrous is canceled; hot shoe flyweight XC racers are left homeless.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 04-24-2008 at 11:00 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    wow cc how do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by nickhart
    wow cc how do you do it?
    lots of help and tons of editing. doesnt hurt that ive been doin this turner thing for awhile. the idea is to provide a reference, answer some questions and keep a history of the bikes ive loved since the very early days. perhaps its also a tribute of sorts to a man i respect on many levels.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    well congrats from me on a job well done.

... I guess you won't be

My old 1997 Burner [sold it to some chick's husband who will probably store it in his garage forever, in 2004 to go on a snowboarding trip out west], and my 1997 Weiner......I still got the Weiner!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

Our First Turners

These were the bikes that started me down the road to ruin. My wife at the time was racing DH and we were at Interbike in 1997 or 1998 (I think) and got talking with DT about his frames. Long story short, DT made her a deal she couldn't refuse on the Afterburner. About the time she was looking for a new DH rig, I was looking for a new XC bike. After attempting to get a Mg hardtail totally fell through, I called DT about this cool XC frame he had, the Stinger. I liked my AMP B3 except for the whole noodly rear end thing, so I saw what DT had done to improve that weakness and the rest is history.

Found this picture of the Afterburner that I took a while ago:

And also a picture of my old Stinger

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

stinger

NICE STINGER!

Now I want one......!
    looking for Adroit Strata fork in 21", preferred color = burgundy blue - THANKS

im with ya. always liked those frames from day 1.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    There's days when I miss having a 24 lb FS XC bike without stupid light parts (oh except for the Manitou carbon arch fork that was the predecessor to the one that's on there). Like today.

im thinkin you could get 1 of those down to about 22 lbs if you were a small guy, without bein totally stupid. wadaya think?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    im thinkin you could get 1 of those down to about 22 lbs if you were a small guy, without bein totally stupid. wadaya think?
    Given that the frame was somewhere between 4.5 and 5 lbs, and people are building 20 pound hardtails. I think with some effort, 22 lbs. is doable.

... I guess you won't be

1997 Burner Horse-Plop bunny-hop!

Absolutely no margin for error - it was WET!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey guys just been searching google for info and pics on my bike and found this page i have an original 96 turner kona tommi misser replica and was wondering what it's worth it's paint is chipped but the frame itself is solid and has never let me down unlike alot of other frames i have had i have owned it 10 years and it's the best frame i'v ever experienced

it has seen many different parts in it's time but currently is like the first couple of pics on 24" wheels

mtbr member

I can tell you where to find the medium Route 66

In my living room right now . Super plush bike. When I first bought it off MTBR classifieds it had a 69 degree HA and a 15+" bottom bracket hight, my legs were too short to enjoy it so off to Turner to see what could be done about it. DT said the HA was 1+ degree off the intended, thinking that someone may have switched rockers on it at some point he reached up on the shelf and handed me a different set of rockers, free of charge, showing once again why Turner is such a beloved company. The non jpeg pic is the latest iteration of the Route 66 which I still own; 14" BB 67 deg HA 29 lbs with a fox 32 150 float fork.
    turner timeline: 2008. i thought it high time to update my mini-turner timeline i 1st posted 6/14/06. so much for mini. i hope you find it more complete, accurate and helpful than before. ok kids, lets start with some history and details on the ever popular Turner Burner, the bike that eventually brought us all here:

'92
    Turner Suspension Bicycles was started by David Turner in Eagle, Colorado where he began designing and testing his own frames.

'93
    the birth of his 1st frame, a 1-off Horst Link soft tail. DT wins his dh class at Mamouth on it. work begins on the next frame and a few variable rate rocker driven prototypes are made and tested. no one seems all that excited about the rise and fall of the shock rate with riders complaining of harshness.

'94
    the 1st batch of 150 original production V-1 '95 Burners (Version 1), were made by Ventana Mountain Bikes in Rancho Cordova, California. many were raced by the top pros of the day yet you would be hard pressed to find a turner logo on those bikes since most riders were sponsored by other large bike companies and teams who purchased the frames from Turner, a practice carried on through the mid 2000's.

they were not known as the Turner Burner quite yet. that name came from a Mountain Bike Action magazine bike test in 10/94 and it stuck. it was actually 1st known as the FTF (Full Time Function). that moniker was prominently displayed in black caps on the shock stays but clever owners would break out a razor blade and change it to say things like "FULL TIME FUN" and "FULL ON FUN TIME".

these linear rate, fully active suspension frames were built from straight guadge Alcoa 6013 tubes, had a lower shock mount bridge from the down tube to the seat tube (similar to the current Flux and Sultan), 2.75" of travel via a black anno rocker with a white Turner logo and a Fox Alps air shock valved specifically for each frame size. cable routing was under the top tube. other features were a ball burnished finish, black Turner logo stickers, 73.5/71.5 geo, a 27.2 reducer sleeve welded atop the seat tube, 2 bolt replaceable derailleur hanger, a sivler cnc machined alloy seatpost qr and a welded canti mount on the shock stay yoke. they even came with a Fox shock pump.

all Turner frames, other than the post '97 dh frames and the Highline, use journal bearings (often called bushings) for incredible strength and surprising longevity with very little maintenance. a occasional shot of grease into the zerk fittings found on every Turner frame ever made is all you need to keep it quiet for up to 3 years depending on personal conditions.

'95
    Ventana could no longer keep up with the demand for Burners so fabrication then moved into the Tempe, Arizona shop of FTW (Frank the Welder) for a short time. as Burners kept getting built, a polished 3.6" rocker w/ a black logo was made for the d/h crowd, both rockers were a welded 3 piece unit. the FTW made DH rocker was a hard part to find at the time and as far as i know was not produced as a upgrade part after '95 but was seen on a few later models such as the Twin and Burner DH. a full moto plate welded to the toptube, downtube and headtube or a small gusset wrapped around the botom of the headtube to the downtube can be found on some old burners. these factory warranty mods were done to fix cracks that developed on frames that were bein raced in d/h events. of course these repaired frames were repainted and so began the now famous Turner customer service.

'96
    the V-2 Burner was produced for the '96 model year by Sportech in Corona, California and had a beautifuly machined bottom bracket section supporting the shock, b/bkt and swingarm. this was done to reduce weight and increase lateral stiffness as well as provide better allignment of the chassis, not to cure breakage as sometimes believed. the only serious breakage issue was in the headtube which was cured in '96 with a substantial box type gusset under the downtube and a stronger, internally machined headtube. cable routing was moved to the 2 o'clock position on the top tube. also seen was a 34.9 black anno seat post clamp and a black anno bolt-on cable stop atop the shock stay yoke. it was the year of the v brake afterall. the move to a 3 bolt replaceable derailleur hanger and 31.6 seatpost was made but a black anno 27.2 TNT Performance Products reducer was provided with every frame.

'98
    the classic Burner begins a long hiatus, at least by name alone, becomming the coil sprung Burner XC for 1 year followed by the somewhat similar O2. it wasnt seen again till '02 when it reappeared with lower standover, "Taco" gusset from the seattube to the top of the downtube, butted top and downtubes and a lighter, stiffer 2 piece "X" rocker like is so common with more current models through '06. after these upgrades, it went away again at the end of '04 and was replaced buy the '05 Flux. the end of 1 era and the beginning of another? time will tell. the '98's returned to a different 2 bolt replaceable derailleur hanger thats remained virtually unchanged since.

a short personal note on Horst Link vs. TNT: please save any further discussion for the many existing threads that cover this subject.
    David Turner was there, working with Horst Lietner of AMP Research as a Mongoose test rider and pro xc stud when the Horst Link (HL) was 1st drawn up in '90 and continued to use it on all his 4 Bar frames even after the rights were sold to Specialized who then licensed it to all takers in '00. 5 years later, he licensed ICT (Instant Center Tracking) from Ellsworth Bicycles in order to (in short) continue to use the HL and a flat profile rocker.

in '06, Turner dropped the much touted HL that was used from the very beginning for TNT due to a growingly difficult licenseing agreement and the discovery of a way to design around it without any loss of performance, as agreed uppon by most riders who have tested both back-to-back. some will even say theres a improvement now that a pivot point between the swingarm and axle has been relocated to the shockstay. the move to TNT negated both the ICT and HL patents and freed Turner to return to doing things their own way on their own terms.

a short personal note on RFX versions. through it all the basic freeride intent of the frame remains the same but continues to expand and blur into new territory. theres been some argument on how many versions exist and where they fit into the timeline. my line of thinking, and this has been approved by DT, is that:
    V-1: the original RFX is the V-1 as all things stayed basically the same until '00 when it got a full pound of beef added to the tubset making it the superman of bikes. besides this massive change in wall thickness it saw a few tweeks and a change of rockers. a early freeride sled but not a good climber for the meek to be honest. there are those who want the '00 - '02 RFX to have its own version in this timeline but so far im holding out for a bribe.

V-2: the V-2 RFX is the type made following the 6 Pack and the demise of the beloved Horst Link. here we see substantial geo changes, a shallower 6" rocker and a whole new tubeset for a more reasonable weight and improved ride just for starters. this is when it became a climber and a true all mountain rig.

V-3: along with the V-3 came not only more big changes in the geo, but in other big design departures such as leverage ratio, tubeset, girder rockers and reduced weight. these changes made it posible to build a sub 34 lb long travel bike capable of epic rides for almost anyone.

notable turners. my notes and those of so many others show this all to be accurate. anything im not pretty damn sure of has a "(?)" following the fact in question:

Original Turner - '93.
    a short travel soft tail David Turner brought to mammoth for the classic kamikaze manufacturers d/h race and won with. only 1 made.

Burner (V-1) - '95.
    a 2.75" xc trail and race bike that saw time in the early days of DH races with a 3.6" rocker option. possibly the 1st and arguably one of the few bikes that positively changed the full suspension bike world forever. maybe one of the most consistantly copied designs in modern bicycle history. speced with a 1.5 x 6.5 fox alps 4.

Burner (V-2) - '96 - '97.
    a revised 2.75" xc trail and race bike very much like its predisessor but with machined bits and some needed headtube work. speced with a 1.5 x 6.5 fox alps 4R in '96 and a alps 5R in '97.

Twin - '97.
    a 3.6” Burner tandam if you will. only 1 was made by sportech for DT. it now lives in the uk and is still ridden today.

Burner DH - '97.
    3.6". a stepping stone to the afterburner. a big tubed Burner with a grotesquley tall headtube and kong sized moto plates.

Burner XC - '98.
    new name for a old frame. still with 2.75 inches of rear wheel travel, the classic geo is retained for a single crown fork with 65-75mm of travel. we see a factory installed coil shock on a Buner for the 1st time as it comes speced with the new Fox Vanilla TC adding compression and rebound controls. another 1st is the option of bolt on disc or clamp on rim brake mounts on all '98 models. both adaptor styles are now very hard to find.

Burner XCE - '98 - '02.
    the official factory 3.6" refinement of the classic Burner and a compliment to the newly renamed Burner XC. with relaxed geo, a single crown fork with 80-90mm of travel was reccomended. it was also speced with the Fox Vanilla TC. at 6.7 lbs, it was made much stronger than previous Burners and the Turner all mountain frame is born. in '99 it got a 4" "XR" rocker. this chassis stayed basically the same till its demise.

Stinger - '98 - '01.
    2.8". i suppose you might say this is Davids take on the Mac Strut design. very stiff in the rear for a change, and super light for the day. a true xc race rig with butted tubes stellar american national event results. cancelled due to propriatary shock supply issues. way cool bike if ya ask me. speced with a fox air vanilla r pull shock.

Afterburner DH - '98 - '99.
    a great 7" d/h bike with very sexy lines and a vast improvement over the previous Turner dh model in both asthetics and performance. good enough to win a silver at the worlds. this also introduced the fwd rocker pivot now standard on most Turners and needle bearings on dh frames.

RFX (V-1) - '98 - '99.
    5" freeride frame for the masses. 7.7 lbs of fun, but most riders didnt want their friends to see them on it. sorry, wrong punchline. point being, it was a big fat brick of a frame that did it all.

O2 - '99 - '02.
    a super light 5.6 lb, 3.1" version of the burner.

Javelin - '99.
    7.6" dh bike designed to compete with France's very succesful steel tubed Sun bikes. Turner’s first single pivot suspension bike and one of the 1st ISCG frames on the market. this ultra boxy unit replaced the afterburner. its possible this was a team only design and never saw the open market. (more details needed on all these dh models. please contact me outside of this thread if ya care to share.)

RFX (V-1.1) - '00 - '02.
    now speced with 6" rockers and beefed up by a full pound, this beast now weighs 8.7 lbs + and is considered to be semi unbreakable except for the hollowed out disc mount on the '00 model which was redesigned in '01 as a solid chunk of cnc'ed perfection. shut down due to low sales. 2 different sets of 5" and 6" rockers were made for the RFX over the years providing some geo tweeks. all 4 sets are now coveted by old school pureists and current owners seek them out. because theyre tough as a $2 steak, many still exist and are ridden hard to this day.

DHR - '00 (officially) - present.
    originaly the Javelin, it too had 7.6", its official name was the DH Racer and has been massively refined through the years. now a 8.5" bike. somewhere in here fits the C-Note or so im told. (more details needed on all these dh models. please contact me outside of this thread if ya care to share.)

Burner (V-3) - '02 - '04.
    she's baa-aaaack! lighter, stonger and better than ever to boot. now with the 2 piece 3.6" "X" rocker the XCE made famous, butted top and downtubes, IS disc mount and improved standover. if ya have one, look for a set of the semi-rare 4" "XR" rockers. ladies and gentlemen! please help me welcome the "Taco"!

5 Spot - '03 - present.
    Turners best selling frame that many feel to be the perfect trail bike, has seen a variety of shocks and rockers over the years including the original 5.1", a 5.3" version in '05 and finally the latest 5.5" unit introduced in '07 was far lighter and stiffer with its wider and tapered girder like design. the '07 also had a slightly higher b/bkt. asymetrical chainstays followed later in the season.

Mauler - '03.
    this one was tough to pin down but i think i pulled it off... kinda. its sorta like a light '02 RFX. Spot geo w/ a taller b/bkt, Spot rear w/ RFX yokes for tire clearence, 1.5" headtube, shallow rockers and easton tubes built for a single Fontana race course. ill let DT explain further: "the Mauler was a name lovingly given the frame by it's owner, as in the Fontana Mauler. there is ONLY ONE MAULER, that was it. Anodized Flame job on the frame." yet earlyer he says this: "It was custom for the original owner and myself. Mine was painted red, this one anodized. "DT continues: "The guy who owns the twin stopped by a month ago...". im confused but it sounds like there were 2, the red one and the namesake anno flame frame, both mediums. 1 pops up on ebay once in a great while.

Route 66 '03.
    another tough one but ill tell ya what i found so far. as DT says: "A 66 is just a ('02) RFX (yeah, same geo but with lighter tubing and a 1.5" DHR headtube) another earlier attempt by me to dump the RFX moniker. I think a co worker back in the day, Jeff, came up with 66. His was one of the Large frames. There are only 4 of these, 2 medium, 2 large. The (medium) red powdercoated one was mine." again, another ebay find these days.

Six Pack - '04 - '05.
    a 6" travel work horse, do it all frame. a climbable beast that has its rider salivating when someone says "Look! Another desent!" and a huckers delight. the model that started the "frankenbike" trend where rides started to swap odd sized shocks, rear end pices and rockers with the Spot and even older RFX's to alter geo creating "5 Packs", "7 Packs" and a single "SPaaNB" (Six Pack and a Nickle Bag). much love can still be found for this frame and seeing as how well made it is, that love will continue for a long time to come. exact same front triangle and rockers are shared with the '06 RFX but this is to be the final year of the 6" HL freeride Turner. so long old freind.

Rail - '04.
    maybe best described as a 4.5" mini DHR w/ adjustable b/bkt height via a flip type shock mount and no place for a front derailluer. it looks like this was the 1st Turner 4X frame but at 9 lbs, now considered way to portly for competition. today, its a good fit for dirt jumping, BMX sessions and shuttle days on med/heavy trails as its a lousy climber w/ its DHR geo and tubeset.

C-Note - '04.
    described as a "budget DHR" by one talented and experienced rider, rumor has it only 2 were built. very light compared to the DHR and other bikes of the time. no shock linkage on this 7" dh rig means adjustability of the rear ends feel was a issue.

Flux - '05 - present.
    4"s of weeeeeeeee! the new burner? hardly! this more refined design with faster feeling yet more confidence inspiering geometry really opened the door to more aggressive trail riding in a medium travel rig. lighter too! in '06 the entire line moved to the TNT rear tri otherwise the Flux remained consistant till '08 when it too saw a new asym chainstay and a much lighter, stiffer shockstay yoke patterned after the Nitrous as well as the updated girder style rocker. daily xc, trail, xc/endurance race and epic ride fun found here.

Nitrous - '05 - '07.
    3" full on pro level xc race bike with a 165 pound rider weight limit. Geoff Kabush wins 5 NORBA championships and sets a single season win record, all within 3 years, riding this frame so that should tell you something. skinny assed and heavily dedicated xc racers only need apply. a land based rocketship without the rockets. skin suit not included. no changes other than TNT in '06. recently cancelled due to failing sales and a weak xc race bike market.

RFX V-2 - '06.
    originally called the Six Pack for 2 years previous, then rebadged as the reborn RFX after the TNT rear was instituted in this model year. no other changes were made and all parts are compatable with previous Spot, Six Pack and RFX models.

Highline - '06 - present.
    originally speced with 8" of travel, reduced to 7.1" mid year '07 for a lower b/bkt height and improved handeling. the new mega huck platform built for and tested by folks who go huge. really, really huge. now, after a few years and some chainstay/seatstay teething problems, the design has been refined into a reliable chassis that is 1 of the top contenders when looking for a big huck, freeride park and mega-tech-trail sled thats said to climb like "a spider monkey getting a fire ant and Tabasco enema." at least most agree its a dandy freeride bike.

RFX (V-3) - '07 - present.
    in '07, it went through a massive redesign and now has 6.4" of plush travel, a lower leverage ratio much to our delight, shorter cockpit, is far lighter and it introduced those sexy asymetrical stays and girder style rockers. the 1st Turner of its kind to see the sub 34 lb build mark and live to tell about it. 30 - 33 lbs is common. all day xc/trail/am epics and hucks... heres yer ride. the only question left is will it replace the most excellent Spot as the king of the do-it-all Turners?

Sultan - '07 - present.
    turner embraces the 29'er movement with this 4" ripper and the celebrations begin immediately. due to it's instant success and low availability, Sultan zelots instead build and occupy towers made in its honor keeping all out besides those who ride the proper horse. virtually anyone who's owned one say this is some of the finest work turner has done yet, and consiquentually, sold their Spots.

4X - '07 (officialy) - present.
    although a handfull were built prior to '07 for team riders, the Turner 4" travel 4X is a VERY limited production mountaincross race frame in very limited sizes normally available on special order only. all these "Factory Frankenbikes", as DT calls em, are built from Spot and RFX tubes, some stock parts, and some custom parts, even a few cutomized stock parts. look close and you will see several differences in lower shock mount as well as lower main pivot locations.

theres a few models like the DHR, Lucky 7, Javilin and C-Note that i dont have many details on and the few i do have are sketchy so a little help would be cool. pm me and ill fix it up.

'94 ----------------- Ventana built the 1st 150 turner's, later to be dubbed the burner my mountain bike action. quality work spured growing sales leading to a new vendor.

'95 ------------------ FTW (frank the welder). frank waddington, one of the first big named welders for hire in the industry, welded the early barracuda's, yeti's and turners's.

'96 - '02 ----------- Sportech took the burner and its offspring to new levels of performance, quality and innovation with features like the machined b/bkt assembly.

'03 - present --- SAPA now makes the entire line with in house tubesets and others comming from different vendors depending on the model, all from the usa.

Olympic Powdercoating of Santa Ana, California does all the paint work and has for years. for just how long, i dunno. not sure who did/does the anno/coating work on things such as the older anno frames and parts or the new style girder rockers.
    Additional notes:
    '92 - DT begins designing frames under his own name.

'93 - DT wins the Mannoth Mountain Kamikaze manufacturers dh race on 1 of his own soft tail bike designs.

'94 - Several top dh pros ride restickered Turner 4 bar linkage FTF bikes in National competition. Production begins and the Burner gets tested and named in MBA with rave reviews.

'95 - The 1st 150 Burners are sold out. Production is moved to FTW. 2 bolt derailluer hanger and ball burnished finish w/ black stickers.

'96 - The Burner gets its 1st makeover; a machined b/bkt assembly, stronger headtube/gusset, removable cable stop and 31.6 mm I.D. seat tube.

'97 - Turner up's the line to 2 frames and releases the Burner DH which Kona's Thomas Misser wins several World Cup races on then places 3rd in the Finals. Kona is allowed to buy frames, paint them gold and sell them as Kona Misser Replicas. the rest of us get ball burnished, red and black color options w/ 2 tone stickers. The derailluer hanger is redesigned to a 3 bolt.

'98 - 5 frames are now made: the Burner XC and XCE, Stinger, RFX and Afterburner DH. welded on canti mounts are history and customers are given the option of a bolt on disc brake adaptor or the beautiful clamp on rim brake mounts on all models. The derailluer hanger returns to a 2 bolt design. Color Options: Ball Burnished, Semi-Gloss Black, Gloss Black, Candy Blue, Metallic Gray, Dark Metallic Green, Candy Red and Yellow. Frame stickers available in Black, White, Red, Yellow, Chrome, Blue and Orange. For a nominal up charge, they offer anodized finished frames in blue, black, green and pewter. The rear ends are always polished and the rockers are always black. The derailluer hanger is redesigned to a 2 bolt version with a new bolt pattern that remains today. they are not compatable with the original 2 bolt from '04 - '06.

'99 - The Burner XC is dropped and the lighter O2 is introduced in its place. Turner moves to Murrietta, California and sells complete bikes with XT and XTR build kit options. Colors: Bright Red, Gloss Black, Spring Yellow, Sid Blue, Cobalt Blue, Polished, Custom.

'00 - Colors: Gloss Black, Semi Gloss Black, Blood Red, Bright Yellow, Indigo Blue, Candy Blue, Forest Green Metallic, Charcoal Grey Metallic, Double Polished, Custom.

'01 - Color Options: Ball Burnished, Semi-Gloss Black, Gloss Black, Candy Blue, Metallic Gray, Dark Metallic Green, Candy Red and Yellow. Frame stickers available in Black, White, Red, Yellow, Chrome, Blue and Orange. Anodized frames in blue, black, green and pewter.

'02 - The Burner awakes after 3 years in a coma but the RFX is starting to sleep alot, slipping into its own long dream by years end. Turner web site opens its Goody Store and starts a Turner of the Month photo contest.

'03 - The 5 Spot is born and sales of this baby and its limbs have gone through the roof ever since.

'04 - Last year of the Burner. Several are sold at Supergo bike shops later in the year and into '05 for as little as $600 until gone. Paul Components makes a aftermarket XR rocker. Turner releases the 6 Pack; riders climb the highest mountains looking for one and regularly ride a loop back to the top once a frame is found. This is the last year of stock painted rears.

'05 - The Flux replaces the Burner. Polished clear anno is offered on select models. ICT is licensed 7/13/05 and the little green stickers start showing up mid season but seem to fall off soon after the frames are purchased. Turner caves to customer pressure and redesigns the derailleur hanger after complaints that it bends too easily. they begin to snap instead.

'06 - TNT replaces HL, customers and the industry are shocked. Turner moves to a stock anno finish on all models other than the DHR. The 6 Pack is renamed RFX. The Highline is offered late in the year but a mix up of tubes at SAPA forces a recall of all V-1 rear triangles, These are replaced with the V-2.

'07 - The Highline hits production full stide yet V-2 rears continue to fail due to improper heat treating. These are again recalled, redesigned, replaced with the V-3 and the failures stop. More late season production woes as the anno proccess literally eats frames causing huge delivery delays for the '07's. Anno is scrapped for powdercoat and frames hit stores mid year. After years of begging customers, Turner offers a 4" 29'er and the Sultan is a instant industry hit. The DHR gets round tubes and a 7 lb RFX is offered. Push Industries offers a 5.75" rocker for the Spot and the Sultan crew soon discovers its compatability. after 2 years of brittle derailleur hangers, Turner again redesigns it with a rounded corner rather than the sharp point at the end of the step and the breakage stops. riders rejoice.

'08 - Sadly, the Nitrous is canceled; hot shoe flyweight XC racers are left homeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Classic Turners-pic-0121.jpg  

Last edited by slowrider; 05-18-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: add pic

mtbr member
    My '97 Burner. Had been looking for one for a long time. Stopped in a bike shop in San Diego asking the owner if he ever comes across used Turners and he says... um.. I thought there was one for sale on the bulletin board, but I just cleaned off the old ads. Let me check...

He un-crumples a piece of paper out of the trash, and there's my bike. Silver Turner Burner with spinergy wheels. That was "The one"! I called the seller - he still had it, so I bought it right there.

Flite saddle, Onza pedals, Judy SL fork, bar ends, Kore stem. Rockin'.

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS
    2016 Scott Big Jon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schmed
    My '97 Burner. Had been looking for one for a long time. Stopped in a bike shop in San Diego asking the owner if he ever comes across used Turners and he says... um.. I thought there was one for sale on the bulletin board, but I just cleaned off the old ads. Let me check...

He un-crumples a piece of paper out of the trash, and there's my bike. Silver Turner Burner with spinergy wheels. That was "The one"! I called the seller - he still had it, so I bought it right there.

Flite saddle, Onza pedals, Judy SL fork, bar ends, Kore stem. Rockin'.
    Nice story

Its also a 95 frame too.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn View Post

Ha... that's funny right there!!

The "Jr. Racer" is David Turner himself..

The other "Sr. Racer" is me.. that was one of the AM Cups back in 97 - 98..

Thanks for the great memories!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13