Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Classic Turners

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

Turner proto spy pics

these are pics i snagged of turners prototype d/h and x/c bikes. i was able to take these at the risk of great personal peril..... in 1997 at cactus cup.

Afterburner. so new the paint was still wet. seriously. david sprayed it in the trailer the night before. no one was allowed to touch it. absolutely beautiful bike. sexy even in its simple look and beefyness. bob's fork only helps with the whole thing. gawd i wanted one of these and had no biz owning one. at last my good sense won over and i never got one. tommy misser did however and one for his brother for good measure. think he won some race, or somethin. this one was made for jeremy purdy, turners usa sponsored hot shoe of the day.

Stinger. working prototype. rides welcome as you can see. stiffer that you might think. friggin light too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 06-27-2006 at 09:49 AM. Reason: dramatic effect
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    the stinger looks like its got a little TNT goin' on......
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Great pictures!
    I still wonder if it would be possible to bolt a Afterburner rocker to my SixPack
    to achive 7 inches of rearwheel travel ?
    But I also remember this Kore handlebar,I had one for myself at my M1 and it broke midride! What a pain it was...

BTW,maybe we should start a vintage Turner picture collection ?

Later
    RaD

Trail rider and racer
    WOW for a second I thought these were circa 2005 and I was worrying. Its amazing what a few years does with bike and their associated parts. 8 years seems like a lifetime technology wise.
    Trev!

not a bad idea rad. airwreck? what ya think of a new sticky? i have more. lots more.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Now with flavor!!
    There's a guy that lives here that still rides one of those afterburners.

White too.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    not a bad idea rad. airwreck? what ya think of a new sticky? i have more. lots more.
    Hey, good stuff CC, we'd tossed the idea around before and I will get it going.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    My (now ex-)wife has a small Afterburner. That was the first Turner in the house in '99. Totally sweet bike back in the day (I guess it still is now). Put a modern fork on that bike and it would rock. That bike is what convinced me to go on my (continuing) Turner spree (3 and counting).

Also, what should be considered "vintage"?

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Also, what should be considered "vintage"?
    anything with a full time function sticker, and no disc brake mount or the bolt on. Maybe we could throw rainbow headbadge in there also?

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I would like to have a picture collection and a bit of history lesson if possible about all modells not avaible anymore since , lets say 2000 ?
    We could include bikes like the original Burner XC,Burner DH (I have owned one myself ), Venturner, Afterburner, Stinger,Turners under foreign flag like pictured below, but possibly also interesting prototypes and very small production runs like the Lucky7, Route66, C-note, Rail , Highline protos and what not of the younger history?
    Maybe even DT is willing to give a little insight into the history of Turner bikes?

Later
    RaD

thanx airwreck. ths should be cool, specially for old turnerites such as myself. ive got a good collection of pics but i cant seem to get a upload goin for me lately. comp is headed for the shop next week while im on vacation for a total rebuild and upgrade so maybe when i get back ill post em on the new thread. i even have some candid shots of the man himself if he will approve of their use.

big thanx to rad for pushin the idea back into the spotlight.
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    I really miss how you used to be able to put a sticker on the webbing material of the old style machined BB yoke....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Alaska Turner Mafia

Then, as now, they were all Full Time

fun, fun, fun.....

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

My son!

That little kid in the picture is now 12 and weights over 100 pounds. How time flies.

DT

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    That little kid in the picture is now 12 and weights over 100 pounds. How time flies.

DT
    Man, an entire thread devoted to your creations. Biological as well as metalurgical.

my original rear end reads "full on fun time". it seems it was the thing to do to change the wording around back then. i think most of us did it not knowin others had the same idea. i remember seein more and more of it as the years went by. kinda cool id say.

i talked to dt today and got the go ahead to post more of the pics i have but not the candid ones. ill do some diggin when my comp is fixed, scan em and get em up asap. maybe airweck will have the sticky up by then. wait till ya see the original build pics of my burner with all the blue and yellow bits. its kinda visable in the 3rd shot behind the d/h frame. youll either swoon or puke.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Original '96 Burner build

finally! i can upload once once again!

heres the original speced pic of my burner taken in jan of 1996 at a xc race in casa grande, az. i was still laid up with a badly busted arm so i didnt race but i couldnt help but to take "ike" out for his 1st public viewing none the less.

also some pics of the new and improved swing arm grafix from later that year.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    Don't know where I got this pic from, nor do I know who this frame belongs to.

More pics

a few more as the days pass.

# 1: a tale of 2 Burners. a red '95 a pal of mine raced in pro womens d/h and d/s and my blue '96. the FTW built '95 is one of 2 i followed down big bear and sold me on a Turner over the Pro Flex. huge sigh of relief there huh?

# 2: kinda says it all doesnt it? check out the sweet (for the day) XT pods and cnced clamps holding them to a Answer Hyperlite bar. very custom stuff.

# 3: 4th of july, 1997. i ran down national trail with the flag flowin behind as i demoed those Zipp carbon aero wheels. as you can see i had moved on to a Hell Bent riser bar.

# 4: a small group of Turner owners before our acsent of Telegraph Pass in '98. check out the fresh XCE's. i had my butt handed to me by these 2 colorado boys on their 1st ride of the year 1 day before Cactus Cup.

# 5: "ike" in D/H mode summer of '99 days before the world cup in big bear, ca.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Let me guess, you had a '98 vintage rear shifter pod and a '97 (I think) pod for the front because you could trim out the front derailleur with that shifter?

I have some of the newer pods on one of my old bikes still. Great pickup for any 8 speed retrogrouches out there. I ran the old style ones up until '04 when the front finally gave up the ghost.

Cool stuff.

More new-old pics

a few more i dug up and scanned now that alls workin as it should. thanx to airwreck and gregg at MTBR for the help.

# 1: me and "Ultra Man" at big bear '99

# 2: in the trees at big bear test and tune day '99

# 3: Turner sponsored Jr racer big bear amature cup '00 i think

# 3: Turner sponsored Sr racer big bear amature cup '00

# 4: same guy, a moment later in the same corner. dont know who. a little help DT?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Let me guess, you had a '98 vintage rear shifter pod and a '97 (I think) pod for the front because you could trim out the front derailleur with that shifter?

I have some of the newer pods on one of my old bikes still. Great pickup for any 8 speed retrogrouches out there. I ran the old style ones up until '04 when the front finally gave up the ghost.

Cool stuff.
    wish i could make ya todays star but alas those are both '94 XT pods in clamps made by Bullet Bros (if i recall it right but i may be wrong) that were originally mounted on my '93 Stumpjumper after i sold the 7spd LX and went 8 speed in '94. i have some newer 8spd XT pods on my homegrown h/t but im not aware of any that allow trim. now those would be cool to have. rare as hell i suppose?

the homey is my last 8spd holdout these days besides the burner. i too bit and ran with 9spd on all the other rides, 4 now including the Merckx. i NEED that 34 tooth cog! does that make me old and slow or was i always that way?

speakin of rare, heres one of me actually IN FRONT of someone! wow!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    wish i could make ya todays star but alas those are both '94 XT pods in clamps made by Bullet Bros (if i recall it right but i may be wrong) that were originally mounted on my '93 Stumpjumper after i sold the 7spd LX and went 8 speed in '94. i have some newer 8spd XT pods on my homegrown h/t but im not aware of any that allow trim. now those would be cool to have. rare as hell i suppose?

the homey is my last 8spd holdout these days besides the burner. i too bit and ran with 9spd on all the other rides, 4 now including the Merckx. i NEED that 34 tooth cog! does that make me old and slow or was i always that way?

speakin of rare, heres one of me actually IN FRONT of someone! wow!
    OMG, The time just goes by so fast... IIRC, it was a 7 speed XT (back in the day when only XTR had 8 speed) setup that had the front trim. I then ordered a separate XTR 8 speed pod for the rear and ran the Bullet Bros. pod hangers and Avid SD Ultimate levers. I nursed that setup for about 10 years until the front shifter gave up the ghost.

as ya may know im rebuilding the burner to original spec, or tryin to. ya still got those old bullet bros pod holders?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Don't know where I got this pic from, nor do I know who this frame belongs to.
    Damn, where'd you find that? That's my old Stinger frame, I didn't know that picture was still in existence...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast