mtbr member
    Feb 2004

CK Headset won't stay tight

Hoping some of you arm chair mechanics can help me out. I have a CK nothreadset on my bike that no matter what I try will not stay tight. It came installed from Ventana, so I am going to assume the ht was faced and installation was done correctly. I have tried replacing the stem. Degreasing the steerer. Retightening numerous times and the best I can get is 1-2 rides before it gets loose again.

My questions is, arent the bearings supposed to be a pretty good fit around the steerer tube? I have about 1/16" of play and it just gets tightened up by the crown race and top race. That seems odd to me although i dont remember how other work. Any help appreciated.
    fz

Lookin for that extra can
    May 2004
    Any chance your star-fangled nut is slowly pulling out? This was happening on my Marzocchi Z1, and after 3 different star nuts pulling loose, I switched to an Azonic Headlocker. It has been perfect ever since.

Just a thought...

--rip

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezzy
    Hoping some of you arm chair mechanics can help me out. I have a CK nothreadset on my bike that no matter what I try will not stay tight. It came installed from Ventana, so I am going to assume the ht was faced and installation was done correctly. I have tried replacing the stem. Degreasing the steerer. Retightening numerous times and the best I can get is 1-2 rides before it gets loose again.

My questions is, arent the bearings supposed to be a pretty good fit around the steerer tube? I have about 1/16" of play and it just gets tightened up by the crown race and top race. That seems odd to me although i dont remember how other work. Any help appreciated.
    fz
    First, this is the Turner forum. Next time, the General forum or possibly the Ventana forum might be a better location for posting about CK headset issues.

Now on to your question. Check to see that you have adequate clearence for the top cap (~3mm) between the top of the steer tube and the top of the stem. If you don't have enough space, you won't be able to tighten it down properly. Try another spacer, above the stem if you want.

If that's not it, make sure the stem bolts are loose when you're preloading the top cap bolt. After preloading, it should be tight. The stem bolts then hold it in place. If you can't get it tight, check the starfangled nut to see if it's slipping.

Lastly, if the headset is used, you may have the top race (the one with the rubber o-ring) worn out. If you can see the anodization worn off on the inside around the o-ring, it might need to be replace. It was about $9 last time I bought one but that was before the rate hike.
    Last edited by Homebrew; 10-03-2005 at 12:13 PM.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Fezzy, what type of stem are you using? Do you get the same result regardless of which stem you use?

mtbr member
    I have a suggestion - LBS.

You need to have someone look at your headset AND the way you are adjusting it.
    You will not only get your HS sorted but you will learn something too.

Really, take it to your LBS.