Pedaler of dirt

CK BB on a SixPack

Well my current BB is dying and I'm thinking of putting in one these new bottom brackets from Chris King. What are folk's experiences with these so far? Are they tough enough to take a beating from a fat arse like me riding an ol' sixpack?

Cheers.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

No, that's not phonetic
    They are so new I doubt many folks have significant miles on them.

I have one on my Spot but it is way too soon to say what the longevity will be. It is a King part though, and the bearing is easy to open and flush out and repack. I have high hopes.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

not so super...
    fwiw...Hope ceramics are cheaper at CRC.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Better-than-stock Enduro bearings (bigger bearings/increased load) go for an outrageous $15. They have them for shimano, race face, etc. If you want ceramic bearings/BBs they got those too. If you're going to spend a crapload on a BB, might as well go all the way? Given the 2 years I got out of the stock shimano bearings (and they weren't even dead when I replaced em) I gotta wonder excactly what the advantage is with the CB, it's not like BBs are all that expensive in the first place. I guess a lot of people that had the Race Face stuff might be interested, but it's mainly because they got Race Face, not because CB has some crazy ingenious solution. Don't you have to take the crankarms off to do the CB "greasing" thing? If so, you can take the dust seals off almost any bearing when you have the crankarms removed, so there really isn't much of an advantage and I fail to see the point. (on the other hand, if you can leave the crankarms on while greasing that would be cool).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Team Sanchez
    2 years out of a Shimano BB????? Damn! I must of gotten 3 of the same bad batch. I was lucky to get 2 months out of shimano BB, and only 6 weeks out of a mega Exo. I can only surmise that weight and riding style have everything to do with the short life span.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    I have had a miserable time with Shimano or Raceface BB - were much happier once I switched to enduro bearings.

oddly, the bb that came with my FSA gravity lights have been fine.

If I wanted a bling bb then either the CK or Hope would be the way to go.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Get the Enduro ceramics.....

Quote Originally Posted by marzjennings
    Well my current BB is dying and I'm thinking of putting in one these new bottom brackets from Chris King. What are folk's experiences with these so far? Are they tough enough to take a beating from a fat arse like me riding an ol' sixpack?

Cheers.
    I recommend Enduro's hybrid ceramic bearings or the ZERO grade 3 bearings; $65-100.

I'm currently using the hybrid ceramic bearings and they have lasted the longest in my shimano external BB. The original shimano bearings only lasted 1 season... the chromoly Enduro bearings only lasted 1 season.... the ceramics are now on their third season with no problems yet.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I have had a miserable time with Shimano or Raceface BB - were much happier once I switched to enduro bearings.

Well, I did say that I repacked the bearings twice, but let's put it this way; I broke the 6pack before the bearings gave out (and several crankbrothers products). Compare those huge bearings to old shimano square taper/octalink stuff and there's no good reason shouldn't be lasting somewhat longer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

MTB B'dos
    Agree to check out the Enduro offerings, they are cheaper - have been running the ceramics now for over a year and very happy.

As to the FSA, if I remember correclty, check and see that they don't use a shim like Shimano or RF between the bearing and the crank, so they actually use a bigger bearing like the Enduro, CK, Hope stuff.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    2 years out of a Shimano BB????? Damn! I must of gotten 3 of the same bad batch. I was lucky to get 2 months out of shimano BB, and only 6 weeks out of a mega Exo. I can only surmise that weight and riding style have everything to do with the short life span.
    Yeah, they are bicycle parts...you need whatever they put into an F-18 undercarriage.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

Pedaler of dirt
    Cheers for the tip, heading to enduro bearings web site now...
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Agree to check out the Enduro offerings, they are cheaper - have been running the ceramics now for over a year and very happy.

As to the FSA, if I remember correclty, check and see that they don't use a shim like Shimano or RF between the bearing and the crank, so they actually use a bigger bearing like the Enduro, CK, Hope stuff.

Hope ceramic BB are still less $$. Not sure about the quality comp but I plan to find out soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Slightly OT - Enduro Bearings

... much happier once I switched to enduro bearings. ...
    Slightly off-topic here, but did you need any special tools (like the Enduro bearing tool) to remove the old bearings or install the new ones?

HH

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Double H
    Slightly off-topic here, but did you need any special tools (like the Enduro bearing tool) to remove the old bearings or install the new ones?

HH
    No. If you've removed bearings before from bikes then it's no mystery.

mtbr member
    No special tools, just patience and carefully tapping em out with a screwdriver (pulled the cups and hand them mounted in a vice). Used the removed bearings to press in the new ones.

HH

Elitest thrill junkie
    Used the removed bearings to press in the new ones.
    Same here.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Same here.....

No special tools, just patience and carefully tapping em out with a screwdriver (pulled the cups and hand them mounted in a vice). Used the removed bearings to press in the new ones.
    Removing the original shimano bearings required this technique.... removal from bike and then drift them out with a proper bearing drift pin.... using a real hammer (not a dead blow hammer) tap the bearings at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions until free. Be sure to clean the factory glue off the BB cups before re-installing the new bearings.

You can build a bearing press out of all-thread and be sure to use hardened steel washers for installing. However, if you have access to a CK Hub Tool that will work best.

Regards,

EndUser

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Same here.

Thanks for the responses Jayem, 006_007, and EndUser. While I've worked on every other part of my bikes I've actually never torn into an external bearing BB. I seem to recall (but can't find) a post from Chris at Enduro that mentioned something about a tapered piece inside a Shimano BB that made it more difficult to punch out the bearings. I guess it's time to dig into the BB!

HH

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

This is true....

Thanks for the responses Jayem, 006_007, and EndUser. While I've worked on every other part of my bikes I've actually never torn into an external bearing BB. I seem to recall (but can't find) a post from Chris at Enduro that mentioned something about a tapered piece inside a Shimano BB that made it more difficult to punch out the bearings. I guess it's time to dig into the BB!

HH
    This is true and this why you need to remove the BB cups from the frame if you don't have a modified bearing drift tool. Once removed, you do that you can acheive the right angle to easily drift out the old bearings with a standard flat head screw driver. Also, the factory glue holding the bearings in place is difficult to "break", but when this is done the first time around bearing changes become a lot easier after that. Use some gasoline or mineral spirits to remove the glue completely before you install new bearings.

Now that the factory glue has been removed from my BB I now can use my CK hub tool to remove and install new bearings without removing the BB cups from the frame. SO, if you have one of these tools or have access to one I wouldn't try this if your attempting this for first time with the factory glue holding the bearings in place or you could damage the tool.

I've done this now for several friends and it works like a charm. No need to buy new BB cups if the old ones are in good condition.

Good luck,

EndUser

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    Now that the factory glue has been removed from my BB I now can use my CK hub tool to remove and install new bearings without removing the BB cups from the frame. SO, if you have one of these tools or have access to one I wouldn't try this if your attempting this for first time with the factory glue holding the bearings in place or you could damage the tool.
    Which BB cups are you using the CK tool for? CK's? Shimano's? Race Face's? i.e. will the CK tool work to press out/in bearing for the Shimano or RF cranksets?

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Shimano

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Which BB cups are you using the CK tool for? CK's? Shimano's? Race Face's? i.e. will the CK tool work to press out/in bearing for the Shimano or RF cranksets?
    I have the original external BB cups that came with my M960 crankset circa 2005.

The CK hub tool works great for this application. With the cranks removed and BB cups still on the frame, set and expand the collete behind the inside bearing then tighten the Knurled ring on the outside and simply tap the bearing out. I also use it to press in new bearings as well..... you just have to be extremely careful that the bearings are going in straight since the tool was not designed to handle larger diameter bearings.

PS.... I don't know about RF, but it certainly works for shimano's.

Regards,

EndUser